The Eyes of a Stranger

Victorian Horror. A fashionable London party, a murder in mysterious circumstances...

Moderator: Rooter

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: The Eyes of a Stranger

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg
Absolom Peredue Somerhayes

Absolom rushes to assist Ann as she drops the journal, but does little to help the situation.
Conceal,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/534593]Conceal 15%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]38[/b]
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

The newcomer who halts in the doorway of the study is a tall, powerfully-built, and grim-looking man, with a bushy black moustache and cold eyes. He is dressed non-descriptly and carries a walking stick which he brandishes like a weapon.

He is evidently surprised to find you here, regarding each of you with a gaze of intense suspicion.

"Who are you and what are you doing in this house?"

Everyone:
Spoiler:
OOC:   You may make a Psychology roll on the man.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica

“He’s a nasty-looking piece of work” thinks Ann Veronica. Nevertheless, she detests being intimidated by men. She wants to see how he reacts to a challenge.

“We’re invited guests of Mr. Bidwell. Who might you be, sir?”
Psychology,Psychology 35: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/534603]Psychology[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]5[/b]
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg

Absolom manages to hold his surprise at the strange mans appearance and mentally drawing himself to his full height smiles, “I am the Reverend Absolom P Somerhayes of Battersea also one of Mr Bidwell’s invited guests”. He manages to suppress a cough that niggles at the back of his throat, “As this good lady has asked whom might you be sir?”
Psycology,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/534604]Psychology Roll 25%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]34[/b]
- Anais Nin
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Psychology 5%
[dice]0[/dice]
Cecil doesn't like the cut of this fellow's jib, but gives him the benefit of the doubt for now.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"And I'm Diane Siddons," says Diane. She tries to size up the newcomer, but all she can tell is that he's trouble.
OOC,Psychology roll (55% skill) about the man: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I am Detective Sergeant James Mulverhill of Scotland Yard CID," the man replies. He displays his badge -- as he does so you note a revolver bulging in his coat-pocket.

Spying the journal lying on the floor where Miss Poole dropped it, Mulverhill stoops to pick the book up, glances at it then puts it inside his pocket. "I am confiscating this as evidence."

"I ought to take you all in to the Newcourt Street station for questioning,"
Mulverhill continues. "However, I shall let you off with a caution to stay out of police business."

So saying, he turns and heads rapidly back downstairs. A few moments later the front door of the house bangs shut.

Ann Veronica Poole:
Spoiler:
Despite Mulverhill's threat to take you in for questioning you perceive that he seemed somewhat hesitant to do so.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg

Pulling his pocket-watch from his vest pocket and opening its cover, Absolom glances at the time before closing it with an audible snap, “Well a most unpleasant fellow” he mutters as the inspector leaves the room. Then as he returns the watch to its pocket he glances around at the others, “I imagine that ends this particular adventure, though I must confess to being still intrigued”
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica

“Policeman my foot” says Ann Veronica crossly. “I want to see where that man’s going”.

She takes off in pursuit after the stranger, intending to follow him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Diane hurries after her, also curious to see where he takes the journal.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg

Absolom watches as the two women leave the room, following the ‘inspector’. He hesitates a moment then shrugging resignedly he goes after them.
- Anais Nin
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Cecil shakes his head, muttering "Hell's bells!" He follows them out of the study, despite not having had any breakfast yet.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

James and Gordon follow the rest of the group.

Outside in the street, the receding clatter of hooves marks Mulverhill, upon horseback, disappearing at speed away from Blenheim Terrace.

The sound of a commotion closer to draws attention. The constable on guard at the front of Bidwell's house is evidently attempting to placate an irate visitor. This man, small and pale with stringy mutton-chop whiskers, dressed in fine albeit outdated clothing, you recognize after a moment as Godfrey Williamson, the celebrated psychic who was also present at the party and seance last night.

Upon sight of you he approaches quickly. He appears nervous and animated.

"Ah, my friends! You have no doubt heard of the terrible fate which has befallen poor Mr. Bidwell. Yet I sense there are greater and still more terrible forces at play here."

He pauses to inhale a pinch of snuff with shaking fingers.

"Ever since last night I have been having visions. I have tried to speak to the police but that beastly Inspector Cleveland refuses to listen."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Blast!” exclaims Ann Veronica, as she sees Mulverhill escape. She feels at fault for the loss of the notebook, and Mulverhill’s theft of it fills her with anger.

Faced now with the strange figure of Williamson, she almost snaps at him, but after hearing what he says she is curious. Although he’s odd, this is a peculiar situation after all.

“Why don’t you come in?” she tells him. “There’s still some tea left.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

The constable clears his throat. "Inspector Cleveland says no one is to be admitted to the premises."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps we can go somewhere else, then, Mr. Williamson," suggests Diane. "I am willing to listen, and we've discovered a few things as well that we could share with you. As for 'poor Mr. Bidwell,' he is not so innocent as you might think."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Yes” agrees Ann Veronica. “Perhaps it’s time we should leave this place anyway. I’m sure that there must be somewhere nearby that we can talk.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Godfrey Williamson is about to speak when the sound of hooves hails the arrival of a four-wheel carriage, at the front of which sit Inspector Cleveland and Detective Sergeant Craig.

The psychic grimaces. "It is best I leave. There is little I can tell you in any case, for the visions are unclear. They give me headaches and nausea. The strongest has something to do with Duncan, or Duggan, something like that."

He climbs aboard his waiting hansom cab and, as he departs, offers one last warning: "There is something else, ladies and gentlemen. I sense a great many faceless men involved in this affair somehow. I can't see them clearly, but I feel they can see me all too clearly. Perhaps you, too."

Presently Inspector Cleveland and Detective Sergeant Craig approach, nodding to you in acknowledgment. "Constable Baker," Cleveland says, addressing the guard. "You will come with us. We have a lead on the missing butler. Anything to report here?"

"No, sir," the constable replies. "Detective Sergeant Mulverhill just left."

Inspector Cleveland seems puzzled at this. "Mulverhill? I wasn't aware he was part of this investigation." He looks sharply at you. "What do you know of this?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica

“Idiot” she thinks. In a tightly controlled voice, she tells the Inspector, “I hardly think that we’re privy to the details of your investigation, Inspector. Perhaps that’s something you need to check with Sergeant Mulverhill. He came, asked us what we were doing here, and left.”

She leaves out the detail of the notebook; obviously Mulverhill has another agenda.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg

Absolom clears his throat with a delicate cough and turns his most holy, or rather what he hopes is a most holy, gaze to the inspector, “Sir may I presume to ask the nature of this lead, for as a clergyman I fear for the immortal soul of the presumed miscreant, and would hope that until his guilt can be established he will be treated as innocent. If you have knowledge of his whereabouts I beseech you in the name of our Lord to allow me a moment to talk to him so that he might be prevailed upon to surrender to your righteous investigation”
- Anais Nin

Return to “The Eyes of a Stranger”