The Eyes of a Stranger

Victorian Horror. A fashionable London party, a murder in mysterious circumstances...

Moderator: Rooter

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: The Eyes of a Stranger

Post by Mr. Handy »

Diane returns her attention to Absolom. "Thank you," she says, "you are too kind, and so is the Bishop. You know, in Shakespeare's day, clergymen called the theatre a den of inquity, and women were forbidden by law from acting. All the roles were played by men - or boys. We have come a long way since then."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Just then, as a clock strikes nine, a gaunt figure enters the ballroom. The man is pale and frail-looking, his black hair and goatee streaked with silver; he is dressed in black formal wear and walks with the aid of a cane.

All eyes turn toward the man and the musicians fall silent as one of the servants announces the arrival of the evening's host, John Bidwell.

Bidwell smiles and waves to his guests, the music starts up again, and the party continues.

Everyone:
Spoiler:
OOC:   Observing Bidwell's obvious ill health, you may make a Medicine roll to determine if you recognize the signs. Gordon McKerry you have a +10% bonus due to your prior knowledge of Bidwell's recent past.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica

The arrival of Bidwell takes Ann Veronica's attention away from the earnest Wells, who is expounding his ideas on free love. Bidwell’s appearance gives her a start; he seems very frail and weak. She wonders what might be the matter with him. Still, she is curious to meet him if she can.
Medicine,Medicine 5: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/528071]Medicine[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]70[/b]
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
James inhales sharply when he sees Bidwell. "It looks like the years have not been kind to my old friend...", he whispers to Cecil, slightly shocked. "I wonder what's ailing him. He looks completely worn-out..."
Spoiler:
OOC:   Medicine 15% [dice]0[/dice]  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Absolom Peredue Somerhayes

Absolom smiles and is just about to continue the conversation with some pithy comment about acting and deviltry when the arrival of Mr John Bidwell is announced and all eyes turn to the arrival of the host. Silence briefly descends upon the gathering as his appearance is taken in. The interlude is but momentary and the festivities soon resume.
Absolom looks around in search of a silver tray bearing servant. Spotting one close by he attracts the man’s attention, “My dear fellow, could I perhaps beg a cup of tea for myself, and another glass of champagne for the young lady. If she cares for one?”
Medicine,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/528136]Medice Roll: 5%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]91[/b]
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years

Post by Mister Ginge »

If Cecil were wearing a monocle, he feels it would have popped from his eye. "I say James, he certainly looks a rum colour. What ails him? Your guess is as good as mine."
Spoiler:
Medicine 5%
[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Diane, "I'd love some."
OOC,Medicine roll (5% base skill) about [b]Bidwell[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

James Powell:
Spoiler:
You recognize the signs of malnutrition and neglect often associated with a lengthy incarceration in a mental asylum.
Bidwell, who has been slowly mingling with his guests, now approaches your group.

"My friends, I thank you indeed for coming tonight," he greets you cordially. "Reverend Somerhayes, I trust all is well with your parish? Professor Powell, my old friend, please accept my sincerest condolences for your loss. Miss Poole, I have been much impressed by your portraits. It is a pleasure to meet you. Mr. McKerry, welcome to Britain. I pray your endeavors meet with success. Mr. Copeland, I hope you find much to stimulate your interest here in our great city. Miss Siddons, I have heard many wonderful things about your recent performances upon the stage."

Everyone:
Spoiler:
OOC:   Upon interacting with Bidwell you may make a Psychology roll to determine how you perceive his state of mind. James Powell you have a +10% bonus due to your previous acquaintance with Bidwell. Gordon McKerry you may still make your Medicine roll also.  
Ann Veronica Poole and Diane Siddons:
Spoiler:
Although a proper gentleman, Bidwell seems very cool and distant in his manner toward you as he is not toward the men.
OOC:   In addition to the Psychology roll above you may make a second Psychology roll to interpret Bidwell's manner toward you.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica is gratified by this personal touch. She is impressed too - this man definitely makes a point of knowing who people are. She gets the feeling that he’s not the type to do things by accident – every action has an underlying intention. But she can't tell what this intention might be. He seems a little aloof.
Psychology rolls,- Psychology 35: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/528329]Psychology[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]37[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/528334]Psychology[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]76[/b]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Diane is usually very perceptive about people, but she finds Bidwell unreadable. He would make a formidable poker player.
OOC,Psychology rolls (55% skill) about [b]Bidwell[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
James shakes Bidwell's hand, which feels unpleasantly clammy. "Thank you for your sympathies, old friend. However, if you'll excuse my curiosity, I was wondering to what I owe this unexpected but much appreciated honour? It has been many years since we last spoke... Not that I don't appreciate the sentiment, mind you, it's just that I'm curious..."
Spoiler:
OOC:   Psychology 5%: [dice]0[/dice]  
Spoiler:
OOC:   Oops, messed up the signs, but the test still fails...  
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Cecil doesn't know Bidwell personally but is still alarmed at his appearance. Clearly he is not well. " Thank you for having me Sir. Your hospitality is a welcome joy in this crowded city. I much prefer the countryside, but you have made my visit much more tolerable."
Spoiler:
Psychology 5%
[dice]0[/dice]
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Absolom Peredue Somerhayes

Absolom watches as the servant departs and their host Mr Bidwell approaches. Though unacquainted with the gentleman, it seems that Mr Bidwell has some knowledge of him. Absolom nods politely at the gentleman as he speaks to those around him including Miss Siddons.
Psychology,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/528627]Psychology Roll 25%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]93[/b]
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Mr. Bidwell," says Diane, blushing a little, "for your compliments and for your invitation. I hope you come see me perform yourself sometime."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Bidwell inclines his head graciously toward Miss Siddons and Mr. Copeland.

"But curiosity is precisely what I seek, Professor Powell," he replies.

He gazes consideringly at each person in the group in turn. "I believe each of you to possess a, shall we say, receptive quality. I wonder, sirs and madams," he continues in a lower voice. "Do you have any interest in the occult? Spiritualism? For I have a second invitation to make. Myself and a dozen honored guests shall take part in a seance upstairs at midnight. I would be pleased if you gentlemen and ladies were to be among the participants."

Ann Veronica Poole and Diane Siddons:
Spoiler:
Bidwell, you note, appears to hesitate before including the female guests.
OOC:   You may make a Psychology roll to interpret his hesitation.  
Gordon McKerry:
Spoiler:
OOC:   Feel free to make your Medicine and Psychology rolls.  
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
Upon the mention of a seance, James has to suppress involuntary shudder. He had to admit, after Julia's death, he had been tempted more than once to contact a medium, but his scientific scepticism had always got the better of him. But now, it seemed Fate had thrown such an opportunity in his lap. Who was he to refuse?

"A seance?", he stammered, the colour draining from his face, "Actually, to be honest, .... eh, I wouldn't mind attending. Just to see what the fuss is all about, mind you..."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Spoiler:
Medicine = 15% + 10% = 25%[dice]0[/dice]Psychology = 5%[dice]1[/dice]
Despite what Gordon has heard about Mister Bidwell's past, the nature of his current illness remains unknown to him. Nor does his countenance reveal anything of his mind. It would be best to accept his invitation, despite Gordon's skeptical attitude about spiritualism. A few noises, a few objects floating through the air; what's the worst that could happen?

"Thank you, Mister Bidwell. I would be delighted to join you and these other distinguished ladies and gentlemen. I trust this shared experience will result in new friendships."

Besides, the ladies are quite pretty. Perhaps Gordon will be lucky enough to be seated next to one of them. They hold hands during these things, don't they?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Diane has a better impression of Bidwell now.
OOC,Psychology roll (55% skill) about [b]Bidwell[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Psychology,Psychology 35: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/529181]Psychology[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]81[/b]
Ann Veronica mentally rolls her eyes. She doesn’t have a lot of time for the recent Spiritualism ‘fad’.

“Séance? Hokum!” she thinks. “Still, an invitation is an invitation.”

Nevertheless, she fortifies herself with another glass of champagne.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Cecil has been to several seances in the past and has not been convinced by the amatuerish scenes he has witnessed. However, it would be rude to say no, so why not?

Return to “The Eyes of a Stranger”