Page 1 of 1

Day 1: Flying in

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:12 pm
by evil_scientist
landscape.jpg
landscape 2.jpg
12 April, 1975

The roar of the Cessna 206 floatplane’s engine is deafening. State Trooper Stanley Kramer is an experienced pilot, but travelling on such a small craft is always a shaky experience at best. Arctic Construction representative Jeff Michaels and safety inspector Harry Miller try to study the scant documentation provided by the company, but concentration is often broken by gushes of wind. Conversation is impossible (the plane is not equipped with an intercom), so you spend most of the journey staring out the window.

Seen through scratched plexiglass, from one thousand feet up, the world is an endless spruce forest in three directions, with the massive wall of the Brooks range abruptly stopping its progress to the north, like a sea wall against the brownish-green. Forest as far as the eye can see. It’s dark, featureless, somehow implacable.

Around 9:20 am State Trooper Kramer finally starts descent, and after some careful maneuvering lands the Cessna on the waters of the Koyukon river. He slowly navigates the craft close to the bank of the river. The patch is marked on the Arctic Construction survey maps as the preferred landing site and entry point. It was cleared of undergrowth last month, when the survey began, but since then the vegetation started to reclaim the area. There is a pair of reinforced concrete pillars protruding from the ground - the only signs of civilization. You tie the aircraft to the pillars with strong cables.

The plan was that a member of the survey team would meet you at the landing site and take you to Camp 204, a four mile hike. But you are only greeted by a swarm of mosquitoes and biting flies. A barely visible path leads to the east, into the deep forest.

Mt. Sukakpak looms over everything, a dark grey slanted mass rising above the pines.
sukakpak.jpg

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:14 pm
by Rooter

Jeff is angry and embarrassed by the company's ineptitude. "Dammit," he mutters, trying to wave away the mosquitoes with the manila folder. "Those guys better have a good explanation for not being here." He regards the dark spread of forest warily then turns to State Trooper Kramer, avoiding the safety inspector Miller's eye. "Can we radio the site from here?"

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:36 pm
by evil_scientist
The aircraft's on-board radio equipment can be used to reach the camp. You know the bandwidth. The question is whether their radio is switched on and receiving at the moment...

A Luck roll is required to attempt this.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Trooper Stanley Kramer never gets tired of looking at the beauty of his native Alaska from the air. It isn't too bad from down on the ground, either. "We can sure as hell try," he says, keying the radio and trying to reach the camp.
OOC,Luck roll (60% stat) to contact the camp: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:45 am
by evil_scientist
The radio crackles, and for a second a high-pitched whistle emerges, but then it's back to hissing static. The camp is not receiving.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 pm
by Rooter

Jeff suppresses a groan. "Well I don't feel like hanging around out here to be eaten alive by mosquitoes. We'd have to make the hike to camp anyway, right? Should be no problem finding our way with a State Trooper to guide us. I'll mention all this in my report for the company," he adds.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 pm
by evil_scientist
Equipped with a detailed survey map, a compass, and many years of field experience, State Trooper Kramer leads your small group into the wilderness. The first mile or so is tolerable, but then the trail gets steeper. Harry Miller can keep up with the swift Trooper, thanks to his natural stamina, but Jeff Michaels is slowing you all down. The insects seem to multiple in the shadows of the trees. Swarms of Biblical proportions, buzzing around you, latching on to all uncovered patch of skin...

Around the third mile, when he stops to catch his breath, Jeff notices a couple of red-and-white striped rods scattered in the mud. He recognizes them as the ones that are used to mark out the pipeline's route. After consulting the map, you understand that this is approximately the beginning of the pipeline section, the re-flagging of which is the goal of the current survey. But the all the markers have been torn out of the ground.
Optionally,You can spend more time (and endure more mosquito bites!!) in this place to investigate in detail, before continuing your hike to the camp. Provide [b][color=#BF0000]Spot Hidden[/color][/b] or [b][color=#BF0000]Survival rolls[/color][/b].
Further up the trail, the scenery changes slightly: the spruce trees of course are still present, but there are more rocks protruding from the ground. A thin fog descends, and a drizzle starts - at least it forces the mosquitoes to retreat. With some effort you cover the last mile and arrive at a small clearing. At the other end of it, about 50' from you, there are a couple of tents pitched in a semicircle. You can see two figures hunched by a campfire.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:10 am
by Mister Ginge
Optional Spot Hidden:
[dice]0[/dice]

Harry pulls a mosquito off his ear and breaths a sigh of relief. "Looks like our guys. Let's go say hello."

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley can't tell anything from examining the site where the rods were torn out, so he nods and proceeds to the camp.
OOC,Survival roll (50% skill) investigating the rods: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:38 am
by Rooter

Puffing from the unaccustomed exercise of the hike, Jeff waves one of the marking rods he picked up from the ground at the figures by the campfire. "What's going on here? Why didn't you come to meet us at the landing point like we arranged?"

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:47 am
by evil_scientist
You spend an extra 15 minutes investigating the area. Harry Miller comes to the conclusion that the flags and rods were torn out by heavy winds, or maybe by animals. Foul play seems highly unlikely, as the route is too remote and difficult for malicious persons to be responsible. You are, quite literally, in the middle of nowhere. Kramer lets out a curse: a sudden gush of wind sends the survey map flying high, and it gets stuck on a pine tree. The State Trooper manages to retrieve only a torn half - unfortunately, not the half where you and the camp are located...

After this short intermission, you follow the trail further up and arrive to the campsite.

Jeff Michaels calls out to the men. They turn towards you, and hesitate for a few moments, seemingly unwilling to leave the campfire. Then one of them stands up - a tall, broad-shouldered, hulking figure, and starts slowly pacing towards you. You meet halfway across the clearing. You recognize him as Assistant Surveyor Mike Ravello, only he now has a curly beard.

"We didn't want to leave the camp unattended. Thought you could make the hike yourselves," he says. "I'm Mike Ravello. Welcome to Camp 204..." he adds, pointing to the tents behind him with a wide gesture.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:14 pm
by Rooter

"Jeff Michaels, from the company. This is State Trooper Kramer and Mr. Miller from federal safety. Is the Chief Surveyor here? We're going to need a full briefing on the status of the project. And, uh, about the fatality, too, of course."

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:51 pm
by evil_scientist
"Ray is guarding Bill's body," Ravello says, pointing to the south-east, to the forest. Looks like he has to accompany every piece of information with a hand gesture. "I mean Chief Surveyor Ray Kennedy. And Bill Scott, poor fellow."

"We were told to leave the body where we found it. But we have to guard it. There are bears in these forests."

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley nods knowingly. The shotgun he carries and the other one in the plane are the only real defense they have against bears. His pistol wouldn't do much good against them. "I need to collect the body," he says. "I'll go see the Chief Surveyor too."

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:43 pm
by Mister Ginge

"I'll come with you," says Harry. "I'd like to get a look at the scene."

Turning to Ravello he says, "do we know what was the cause of death?"

"I hope they don't think I've been watching too many crime dramas," he thinks to himself.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 pm
by evil_scientist
"Blunt trauma. From falling, maybe," Ravello says. His expression was without any emotion before, but now it turns somber.

"You can drop your bags at the tents, then I can take you to the place. It's not far, a quarter mile from the camp."

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says Stanley. He deposits his luggage at the tents and then returns to Ravello so he can guide them to the scene.
OOC,Do we have a camera? I'd like to take some pictures of the scene before we touch anything. [b]Jeff[/b] actually has points in the skill.

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:28 am
by evil_scientist
OOC,Yes, you brought a camera. Another thing: I think you probably brought the second shotgun from the airplane with you up to the camp - I don't think it's allowed to leave weapon unattended somewhere in the forest...
OOC 2,I'm very busy today at work, will post later or tomorrow!

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:59 am
by Rooter

Jeff drops his bag at the tents, nervously eyeing the surrounding forest for any lurking bears. He retrieves the camera and the shotgun he took from the plane - he's never fired a gun in anger before but the solid weight in his hand is slightly reassuring.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:15 am
by evil_scientist
The investigators and Ravello approach the camp. The man sitting at the fire finally acknowledges their presence, and looks at them. He is a young man, his thin, bony features framed by the hood of his anorak. "This is Arthur Antal," Ravello introduces the man. Antal sluggishly stands up and shakes hands with the investigators. He murmurs something that can be understood as a greeting. His hands are cold.

"I'm taking them over to see Bill."

Antal nods, and sits down again by the fire. "I'll stay here," he speaks, finally.

Ravello lifts up a stainless steel camping mug from by the fire, takes a sip. "Then heat up some water for coffee for when we get back, I'm sure the boys will want some." He then turns to you: "Let's go, gentlemen."

He turns around and strides off towards the forest.
Note,If you want to interact with Antal, or ask more question from Ravello while at the camp or along the way, feel free to re-wind!
There is no beaten path here, just the dense forest. Progress is slowed by the muddy, loose soil. After about ten minutes you see a blue tarp laid out on the ground, covering a conspicuous mass - Bill Scott's body... Chief Surveyor Ray Kennedy is sitting nearby on a trunk, reading a book. He notices you, slides the book into his anorak's pocket, stands up, and waits for your approach.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:10 pm
by Rooter

"Mr. Kennedy, good to see you." Jeff makes the introductions. He avoids looking at the body. "Well, I'm sure this is a difficult time for everyone involved but the show must go on. How's the pipeline schedule looking after this unfortunate accident? Not too much disruption, I hope?"

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nice to meet you," says Stanley shaking hands. "We'll want to take some pictures and look over the scene before we move the body, What exactly happened?"

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:28 am
by Mister Ginge

"Wish we could meet under better cicumstances", says Harry, eyeing the tarp dubiously..

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:10 pm
by evil_scientist
Ray Kennedy's appearance is in strong contrast with Ravello. The Chief Surveyor has dark circles around his bloodshot eyes: he probably hasn't slept properly since Scott's death.

"The schedule?.. There are... changes, of course, changes to the schedule," Kennedy says, clearly surprised that he is confronted with work-related questions right off the bat.

Ravello chimes in: "We have some documentation back at the camp. But the work has been delayed since the beginning, and now, with the loss of a crew member..."

He points to the bulge under the tarp.

"I will remove it now."

"It happened two days ago," Kennedy slowly starts recounting the events. "There was a storm... a big st-storm, and he wandered off, maybe."

"We found him here in the morning. He was already dead," Ravello adds and folds up the tarp and reveals the late Bill Scott. Kennedy averts his eyes. Ravello doesn't look directly at the corpse either.

The man's body lies there in an unnatural pose, bent in half. His limbs are twisted in weird ways, probably due to broken bones and dislocated joints. He is mottled with peat bog dirt, his clothes discolored by tannin. One of his boots is missing.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:50 pm
by Rooter

"Holy smokes," Jeff says with a grimace. "Well, looks pretty cut and dried to me. Guy wandered off and met a bear in the woods. No liability for the company. A big storm, you say? Has there been any damage to the pipeline? We saw the markers all torn out as we were coming in."

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can't imagine what else might have done it," says Stanley, examining the body without touching or moving it, paying particular attention to whether or not animals have been chewing on it. "Of course, it's up to the medical examiner back in Anchorage to determine how he died."

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:00 am
by Mister Ginge

"That's odd. I can't see any bite or maul marks. I'm no expert but don't bears have claws & teeth?" Harry enjoys sticking it to the man when he gets the chance, but avoids Jeff's gaze.

He starts to wander around the scene examining the ground & vegetation for details, in a conspicuous attempt to look like he know's what he's doing.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:13 pm
by evil_scientist
"This... this is clearly not a bear attack!" Kennedy says. He is perplexed by Jeff's focus on company interests. "Yes, constant storms, all the time, we could barely get any work done!" The pace of his speech quickens. Is he nervous? Defensive? Plainly annoyed by the company investigator?

Harry Miller notices a couple of things: the ground here is unstable, a swampy, soft dirt. Harry notices this not due to his expert outdoors skills, but because he himself sinks ankle-deep a few steps away. Even the body is partially pressed into the soil.

Upon closer inspection it is revealed that Scott's skin is heavily bruised, and covered in small scratches, possibly caused by spruce needles. There are other signs of contact with vegetation: aspen leaves are plastered to him. There are no claw or bite marks, just the numerous broken bones, and, judging by the bent, possibly a broken spinal column...

As Stanley Kramer examines the body, he gets a weird sensation. There is a distinct smell... but not of decay. Rather a cloying odor, like burnt sugar.

And as he leans closer, he ends up looking straight into the face of the late Bill Scott.
The face of Bill Scott,Under the cuts and layers of dirt, the last expression of Bill Scott is discernible... Though he died alone in the woods, through what must have been lingering agony, his face is frozen in a mask of horror somehow tinged with ecstasy. The State Trooper has never seen anything like this on any dead body. Roll [color=#FF0000][b]Sanity (0/1d3)[/b][/color]

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:04 pm
by Rooter

"Okay, okay, keep your shirt on, buddy," Jeff says placatingly. "I'm just saying we can't let this delay the project any longer than necessary. We'll figure out a new work schedule later and maybe I can get the company to send out a replacement for Mr. Scott. Okay, so it wasn't a bear. Maybe he, uh, fell badly. Where was he and what was he doing the last time you saw him? Did you notice anything odd about his behavior? Any excessive drug or alcohol use?" he adds hopefully.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley has seen dead bodies before in his line of work, so he takes it in stride. This one is unusual and disturbing, but he keeps his cool. "No bear did this," he says. "I've never heard of a bear that would refuse a meal, and there aren't any claw marks from a mauling. That look on his face: he's terrified, but he also seems to be experiencing...joy."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 50) for seeing the dead man's face: [dice]1[/dice] Sanity loss (if necessary): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:17 pm
by evil_scientist
"We were all at camp, trying to nail down all the tents properly because of the incoming storm," Ravello says. "No drugs, where would you even get them here? Some drinking, yes," he admits. "It gets cold and creepy here in the forests. I don't remember anything special about that evening."

"M-maybe he did fall... Maybe he was picked up by a whirlwind, thrown around," Kennedy says, and nervously glances at Ravello.

State Trooper Stanley Kramer, unshaken by the corpse's terrible visage, thinks that the traumas suffered by Scott could theoretically be the result of falling - albeit from a significant height.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:07 pm
by Rooter

"Joy?" Jeff repeats at Kramer's assertion. "Maybe he was on drugs, then. Like you say, the medical examiner will be the one to tell us. But maybe we'd better speak to that other guy, what's his name, Antal, in case he knows anything. Workers are more likely to tell each other personal stuff than the boss."

Jeff looks closely at Kennedy wondering why the Chief Surveyor seems so nervous. "There something else going on here you want to tell us about?"

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:25 pm
by Mister Ginge

Harry extricates himself from the swampy ground and looks up at the trees. Do they look like they've been hit by a severe storm? A whirlwind?!?

He waits for Kennedy to answer Jeff's question.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:57 pm
by evil_scientist
"Antal and Scott? Well, I doubt that the two of them shared many secrets, but you do what you need for your investigation," Ravello says. "Complete opposites. Bill was hard-working, and knew his way 'round the forest. Antal's slow and lazy."

"If anything's holding back this survey," Kennedy adds, "it's the weather and Antal! And this is an unsuitable place for the pipeline, that's all."

Might Kennedy be ignoring Jeff's question on purpose or just that's his answer?
Wruter,Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Intimidate[/color][/b] to back up this thing!
Harry sees lots of broken branches. Now that he is looking, he also notices that there are fallen trees as well.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I suppose it could have been a fall," says Stanley, "but he'd have to have dropped from a considerable height. Just how fierce was the storm? Let's get some pictures of the body and the area."

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:18 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Intimidate 15%[dice]0[/dice]Photography 25%[dice]1[/dice]
Jeff doesn't like Kennedy's evasiveness but doesn't feel much like trying to browbeat the other man. Maybe he's just feeling the pressure. Jeff busies himself with the camera at Kramer's suggestion but perhaps due to his own nerves at being out here in this godforsaken wilderness the results aren't so great. He passes the camera on to the others to try. "So Antal isn't pulling his weight, huh? I'll 'have a word with him later."

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 am
by evil_scientist
"The storms are hitting us hard. That night's was particularly wicked," Ravello says, flailing his arms around to emphasize the power. "Sent one of the tents flying, lucky we had the rest tied down."

Jeff takes some photos of the body and the surroundings. Enough to attach to the report, but probably insufficient for detailed police-type work. At least he is not wasting company resources by using up too much photo stock!!
Mr. Handy,Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Idea[/color][/b]!
The drizzle starts again, and a milky fog descends on the forest.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley is puzzled.
OOC,Idea roll (40% stat) looking at the body: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:27 pm
by Rooter

"Well, it's looking most likely some kind of freak accident in the storm," Jeff says, looking around nervously as the fog descends. "I don't know about you guys but I could use that coffee right about now."

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:41 pm
by evil_scientist
"Are you done with the inspection? Can we move the body back to camp?" asks Ravello.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:01 pm
by Mister Ginge

"I think I have enough for my report", says Harry, wishing he'd brought a clipboard with him. "It would be best to get the back to the camp asap. Don't want to get lost do we?".

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, I think we're done here," says Stanley. "I can carry him."

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:47 am
by evil_scientist
Ravello and State Trooper Kramer wrap up Bill Scott's earthly remains in the tarp. The process is time-consuming and nerve-wrecking. Rigor mortis had already set in a long time ago. Scott's powerful muscles are now cramped up, solidified, almost like the trees they used to fell while the man was alive. His body is fixated in the unnatural, broken position, and when you try to "straighten" him out, for ease of transportation, there is an audible crackling - his fragmented bones shifting around inside...
Wruter and Mister Ginge,Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Sanity (1/1d3)[/color][/b]! This is too much for you...
Mr. Handy,The broken body and the jumbled tarp makes [b]Stanley Kramer[/b] recall an old memory, back from his Pilot training days. He took up a group of parachute jumpers. Stanley observed as their parachutes opened one by one, like flowers in the sky... Only that for one of the jumpers, the strings were all jumbled up, and he deployed his chute only a few hundred yards above ground. Way too late. Stanley saw the body - the amount of brutally broken bones were like the damage to Bill Scott.
The fog and the drizzle change the forest. You are not a group of investigators and surveyors. You are a funeral procession. Instead of an ornate coffin, you carry a dirty blue tarp. There is no funeral band. Moreover, you notice that almost all sounds are gone: no mosquitoes buzzing, no birds. There is only the wind in the trees, whistling, lamenting - or mocking? - the death of Bill Scott.

Finally, you reach camp. You see Arthur Antal standing by the fire. He has a huge, full backpack lying by him.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:13 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Sanity 60[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]Sanity reduced to 57
"This place gives me the creeps," Jeff mutters, still feeling a little sickened by the gruesome corpse. "Ah, Mr. Antal! How about that coffee?"

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:40 am
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
Sanity 60
[dice]0[/dice]
"Going somewhere Arthur?"

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"If Scott did fall, it had to be from very high up," says Stanley. "I remember when I was taking men up for parachute training, there was one guy...The parachutes had two chutes, a main one and a reserve one, in case something goes wrong with the main one. He waited until he was only a few hundred yards to deploy his chute, and when it didn't open right away, he must have panicked and pulled the cord for his reserve chute. Both chutes deployed, and the strings tangled together...After he hit the ground, he looked kind of like that."

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:36 am
by evil_scientist
"I want to go back with you," Arthur Antal says. "There must be an extra place in the plane. I don't want to stay here any more."

Jeff sniffs the air and there is the distinct smell of hot coffee, but then he notices that it emanates from a dark puddle on the ground next to an upset enamel coffee pot.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:17 pm
by Rooter

"Hey, hey, come on now," Jeff says firmly, irritated by the waste of good company-supplied coffee. "There's still a lot of work that needs doing here. You can't just take off suddenly. May I remind you that you signed a contract with Arctic Construction?"

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:52 pm
by evil_scientist
"I don't care. I don't care about the money. I don't care about Arctic. I want to go back. I've had enough of this goddamned wilderness."

"Take it easy now, boy," says Ravello and steps closer. Antal grabs his bag. His hands are trembling.

"There's no need to escalate this. We're all worked up about Bill's death."

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Stay calm," says Stanley to Antal, making a soothing gesture in an effort to deescalate the situation before it gets out of hand. "It's up to your boss whether or not you can go, but if he approves it, there is room on my plane. Might get a little tight, of course, and you may have to sit next to Mr. Scott."

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:50 am
by Mister Ginge

Harry wonders if there any regulations against flying with corpse passengers but decides not to press the matter.

"Let's all just take a breather guys" he says, picking up the coffeepot. "I'll brew us some more coffee and maybe we can talk about what's been happening here." Harry is keen to know why the work has been delayed from the beginning. The men are obviously shook up about something. Can't just be the weather, can it?

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 am
by evil_scientist
Antal hesitates for some time. His body language mirrors his inner turmoil, a psychological conflict. Then, eventually, he sits down next to the fire. Ravello and Kennedy too take their places: it is clear that these men have developed a traditional seating plan during the months of working together. There is an aching, gaping emptiness where Scott used to sit.

Harry finds a small water barrel and a tin of coffee by the fire and starts brewing a new pot.

The drizzle continues. The survey team doesn't seem to care much - they just pull up the hoods of their parkas and sit in silence by the fire.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:00 am
by Rooter

Privately, Jeff doesn't blame Antal for wanting to get out of here. He turns to the Chief Surveyor. "I'll go back to the company with a request to get you guys some more help to get the pipeline finished on time," he promises. "Nothing I can do about the weather, though. Especially not a storm big enough to send a man flying through the air. I take it there's no one else out here? Besides the bears, I mean, ha ha."

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're lucky the weather cleared up," says Stanley. "It wouldn't have been safe to fly under those conditions."

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:17 am
by Mister Ginge

"So guys, what's the story? I've got to say you look like you've been havin' a tough time of it."

Harry examines the men closely, wondering if they have any spare sleeping bags. "Tell me about the working conditions.."

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:50 pm
by evil_scientist
campfire.png
The coffee is ready, and the hot steaming brew provides at least the illusion of comfort.

"The weather never really 'clears up' around here," says Ravello, looking up at the sky. Low lead-grey clouds chase each other.

"So conditions are tough. Sometimes we have to re-do whole sections. We even thought that there might be some hippy activists lurking around, destroying our markings, but we haven't seen any signs of people."

"Or maybe there is," mutters Antal between his teeth.

"Well, that's coming from a man who cannot tell the difference between the silhouette of a bear and Ray squatting in the bushes," cuts in Ravello almost instantly, raising his voice.

The two men stiffen, and eye each other for a few seconds over the campfire.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:44 pm
by Rooter

"Hey, listen, buddy," Jeff says to Antal in his most trustworthy voice. "I don't blame you for getting jittery out here. Heck, I'd probably mistake Mr. Kennedy for a bear in poor light, too. No offence," he adds to Mr. Kennedy.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can't imagine who else would be out here," says Stanley. "If it weren't for the pipeline, none of us would be. Has anyone been protesting the pipeline?"

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:29 pm
by Mister Ginge
OOC:   I'll be in rural France til Monday 10th July with very limited internet access. May be able to make the odd post on my phone but please feel free to NPC my character in the meantime  

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:33 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,Thanks for the heads up, Mister Ginge!
"There were protests in other areas, affected by the Native Claims Settlement Act, a few years ago," Ravello says. "I don't know any details. Things were settled in court, the company had to modify the route or something similar in the end."

"But this area here is no man's land, not of special interest to anyone, as far as I know."

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, I wouldn't think anyone would live out here," says Stanley.
OOC,I'll be gone as well, from the 5th through the 9th. I'll have Internet access but probably no time to post.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:40 am
by Rooter

"Mr. Antal, what do you think?" Harry asks directly, noting the tense exchange between him and Ravello.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:08 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,Okay! Nowadays I can post only every other day, we will keep going, slow but steady!
Antal looks up.

"How should I know? I'm just a lowly worker here. Look at the talking monkey," he finishes on a sarcastic note, and spits in the fire.

Harry Miller is puzzled. Is Antal just working out some worker-supervisor conflict in this passive-aggressive manner? Employee moral is clearly low around these parts... But maybe there's more to it?

Jeff Michaels tries to analyze it from company and "human resources" perspective.
Psychology 40% Roll,[dice]0[/dice]
But Mount Sukakpak is not a cubicle-filled office, and Jeff's skills hardly apply.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"What else do you need to do here before we fly back?" Stanley asks Jeff and Harry. As much as he likes getting back to nature, he has an uneasy feeling and wouldn't mind getting out of here.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:56 am
by Rooter

Jeff downs the last of his coffee. "I think we're about done. The main thing is to figure out a new schedule for the pipeline since it's clear things aren't progressing satisfactorily. Arrange replacement workers for Mr. Scott and maybe Mr. Antal as well."

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:06 pm
by evil_scientist
Upon hearing Jeff's last sentence, Antal's face lights up. "That means I go back with you now, right? I'm packed already and I can help carry Bill's body down to the plane!"

"I hope the company will be quick with their decisions," Ravello says, dismissing Antal with the wave of his hand. "The two of us cannot get much work done in the meantime."

You finish your coffees and improvise a stretcher from spare tent poles and tarp to carry the body. Antal is energized by the thought of leaving Sukakpak behind: "Finally, finally, I'm getting out of this place," you can hear him mumbling.

The hike to the airplane isn't easy, though. The constant drizzle of the last few hours has turned the path into pasty mud. Bill Scott's body feels heavier than ever before, and you have to switch carriers often. Despite his initial enthusiasm, Antal is clearly not pulling his weight. The weather is gradually getting worse and worse, too: you can hear the winds whistling and howling, but, strangely, the trees are motionless, almost frozen in time.
OOC,Any small talk, discussions, or questions to Antal during the hike?
After a good 30 minutes, halfway down the road, you hear a cry from the forest - an animal, maybe? The sound repeats one more time (coming from somewhere near, to your right), then silence sets in again.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 am
by Mister Ginge

Harry feels sorry for Antal but thinks he's a pain in the butt for not pulling his weight. "What are you so scared of anyway?" he asks him. His own greatest fear is carrying out a risk assessment, but he doesn't mention this.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Whatever that was," says Stanley, "it didn't sound like a man." He hefts his shotgun, just in case.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 am
by Rooter

"And what's with the trees not moving?" Jeff wonders nervously. "I can hear the wind blowing but nothing is moving. Weird." He peers intently off into the forest where the sound came from.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 pm
by evil_scientist
Mister Ginge wrote:Harry feels sorry for Antal but thinks he's a pain in the butt for not pulling his weight. "What are you so scared of anyway?" he asks him. His own greatest fear is carrying out a risk assessment, but he doesn't mention this.
"I tried to tell you before... There is something in these woods," Antal says, and his face darkens. "The bosses" (he means Kennedy and Ravello) "just wave me off and say I'm stressed and that I'm just not used to working in the wilderness, but they know it too. Shadows and voices..."

His hand slips and he almost drops the stretcher.

"Maybe they are right, you know, these are creepy woods here, a miserable place, maybe I'm imagining things."

His rambling is interrupted by the sound from the woods. You stop and listen.

The cry is heard again. Jeff thinks that he can identify it: it positively sounds to him like the crying of his baby daughter back at home...

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's not so unreasonable," says Stanley. "I love the great outdoors, but I can sense there's something wrong with this place. I wouldn't mind leaving myself."

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:44 am
by Rooter

"You guys hear that?" Jeff asks with a shiver. "Sounds like a kid crying." Again he peers nervously off into the trees, trying to spot the source of the eerie sound.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:24 pm
by Mister Ginge

This is beginning to get above Harry's pay grade. He also searches the trees for the source of the cry, also wishing he had a gun.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"How could a kid be out here?" asks Stanley, scanning the treeline. "It's gotta be an animal of some kind."

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:50 am
by evil_scientist
The cry is emitted once more, and you can understand the direction it's coming from (the same as before). There is a fallen tree lying there, about 30 feet from you. State Trooper Kramer is almost positive it's an animal in pain and distress.

"Let's not linger any more," Antal says, shakily. "These voices, they are no good."

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It is an animal," says Stanley. "It's hurt bad, from the sound of it. At the very least, I should put it out of its misery if there's nothing else that can be done to help it."

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:01 pm
by evil_scientist
Mr. Handy wrote:"It is an animal," says Stanley. "It's hurt bad, from the sound of it. At the very least, I should put it out of its misery if there's nothing else that can be done to help it."
OOC,Do you wait for reaction from the others, or just go ahead and walk to the source of the noise, brave Trooper style?

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll wait briefly to see how the others react.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 am
by Rooter

"I'll cover you," Jeff replies, hefting the other shotgun and trying to look like he knows what to do with it.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:17 pm
by evil_scientist
forest.jpg
Stanley Kramer notices that if Jeff was to fire the shotgun, the way he's handling it, he would risk spraining his wrist... But this isn't Vietnam, so the State Trooper just hopes it won't come to actual firefights, and cautiously starts walking towards the source of the sound.
Stanley Kramer,Off the beaten path, the forest feels strangely welcoming. The soft mud doesn't hinder movement. It propels his feet forward. Each step takes him miles and miles away from his annoying, helpless companions, their petty matters. Stanley feels an urge to just leave them all behind, and live the life he's supposed to live in the wilderness. He is not Stanley Kramer any more, or not ONLY Stanley Kramer, but a hunter, a native of these forests, favored by the spirits. The cry sounds again, and Stanley sees a fox kit, half crushed beneath a rotten spruce trunk that has fallen. The animal is sunk in tannin-colored swampy water under the weight. A little fragile body, insignificant, powerless, bent and broken, not unlike that of Bill Scott. But looking at it doesn't disturb Stanley, and, even more, makes the death of the survey worker feel [i]natural[/i]. Roll [color=#FF0000][b]Sanity (1/1d3)[/b][/color] [attachment=0]fox.jpg[/attachment]

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley goes over to the tree and uses his immense strength to try to get it off of the fox to free it, snapping off a sturdy branch to use as a lever.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 50) in the forest: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:21 pm
by evil_scientist
The investigators on the path watch Stanley Kramer stop by a fallen tree and lift it up. There is another short, sharp cry.
Stanley Kramer,[b]Stanley Kramer STR 80[/b] [dice]0[/dice] It feels good to put one's strength to use, [b]Stanley[/b] notes as he hoists up the heavy trunk. The small fox lets out another cry as the weight is lifted from it. It cannot move. The damage to its spine paralyzed it. Then there is a whisper. [color=#008000][i]"Kill me, please."[/i][/color]

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley had had a feeling it would come to this. He slings his shotgun over his shoulder and draws his pistol. "Very well," he says, leveling the barrel at the fox's head. In an act of mercy, he squeezes the trigger.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:35 pm
by Mister Ginge
"Jesus Christ!" exclaims Harry, his mind reeling with shock and what the hell he's going to put in his safety report.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:48 pm
by Rooter

"Pull yourself together, man," Jeff snaps, though he is quietly glad not to be close enough to make out any detail.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:26 pm
by evil_scientist
Due to the terrain, the investigators cannot make out what's lying on the ground before the State Trooper. They only see him producing his handgun, and firing it downwards - and then there is a stream of blood, and a final dying cry. Antal screams almost in parallel with the shot. He starts trembling, and mumbling "No, no, no..."
Stanley Kramer,The point-blank shot pulverizes the animal's skull. Shards of bone, fragments of brain matter, blood flying everywhere. A ringing sound emerges in Kramer's ears (the aftereffect of being so close to the gun); but over it, he can, once again, clearly hear the same voice that spoke to him before. [color=#008000][i]"Good. Very good. One with Nature. A force of Nature. Cull the herd. Bring solace to the weak."[/i][/color] Roll [color=#FF0000][b]Sanity 0/1[/b][/color]!

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's all right, guys!" he calls, replacing his spent bullet and holstering the pistol again. "I was just putting down a badly injured fox!" Only now does it occur to him that the fox shouldn't have been able to talk, and that it certainly can't be what's speaking now.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 47) in the forest: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:31 pm
by Mister Ginge

"Well, some warning would have been nice.., says Harry, trying to subtly direct Stanley's attention towards Antal. "Some of us are little on edge here..."

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry," says Stanley, heading back to rejoin the others. "I did say I might have to put it out of its misery."

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:23 am
by Rooter

"Come on, let's get outta here before the bears come to put US out of our misery," Jeff says, looking around. "Antal, stop sniveling and help carry the dang body."

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley nods and picks up his end of the stretcher. "Yeah, let's go," he says. "This place is starting to get to me too."

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:33 am
by Mister Ginge

"Do you think you'll be able to fly the plane out of here?" Harry asks Stanley. "The weather isn't looking too good.."

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, I can do it," says Stanley, "but we'd better go now, before it gets worse."

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:19 pm
by evil_scientist
The team proceeds, as quickly as possible. The wind picks up, too, although this time it feels more natural, then before. The pines and aspens wave back and forth, beating a chaotic rhythm to the droning, moaning wind.

Eventually you exit the woods, into the clearing on the Koyukon riverside. There, you are greeted by a horrendous sight...

The plane is wrecked. It lies canted on its side, half of the cabin submerged in the water of the river. The right wing broke off.

"No-no-no-no-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Antal's mumbles gradually transform into a piercing scream. "NOOOO! NO!"

He drops his end of the stretcher, and the corpse of Bill Scott rolls off into the dirt. Antal falls forward, and starts shaking, convulsing. His screams continue, but they are no longer distinct words. Just garbled, inhuman sounds.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm
by Rooter

Jeff groans in disbelief. "How could this happen? It's like a hurricane hit just this spot or something. What a mess."

He realizes they'll have to go back to the camp and radio for pick up - which means spending the night in this hellish wilderness.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley whistles under his breath. "Well, that stinks," he says, righting the corpse on the stretcher and setting it down. "Let's see what we can salvage from the plane and check if the radio's still working. We'll need to call for another ride. If we can't use the plane's radio, we'll have to use the one back in camp."

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:03 pm
by evil_scientist
State Trooper Stanley Kramer tries to keep the situation (which isn't looking very good) under control and walks over the the wreck. He carefully climbs into the cockpit, and checks out the radio.

Roll Luck!

In the meantime, Antal abruptly stops screaming and gets up from the ground. Maybe he got better, overcame the stress? Then he turns around, and... kicks the corpse of Bill Scott! "It's all your fault! Who's the best fuckin' worker now? It's all your fault, you idiot! I'm stuck here now because of you, we are all going to die like you, you damned fool!"

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:00 pm
by Rooter

"Woah, woah," Jeff says, putting himself between Antal and the corpse. "Listen, buddy, I'm getting tired of your skulking around so why don't you just tell me what the hell is going on here? What do you mean we're all going to die?"

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy

The radio seems to be beyond repair.
OOC,Luck roll (60% stat) to see if the radio is working: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:24 pm
by evil_scientist
To Stanley's surprise, the badly damaged radio powers up. He fiddles with the knobs and tries to reach his home station at Anchorage. A warm, familiar buzz emanates from the headphones, then faint voices come in.
Stanley Kramer,[i]...*bzzzz*....anchorage, receiving... anchorage, anchored, receiving, deceiving... anchor, anchorage.... *bzzz* ....trooper, trooper, trooper, hunter..."[/i] Stanley understands, that this metallic whisper is definitely [b]not[/b] the Anchorage radio operator. This is the same voice that talked to him over the body of the fox. He can feel the current from the radio streaming straight into his brain... [i]... trooper, hunter, killer, prey...[/i] Roll [b][color=#FF0000]POW[/color][/b]! (This is for an opposed roll, so the lower, the better...)

While the State Trooper tests the radio gear, Jeff tries to make some sense of Antal's behavior. The surveyor lurches into a fast-paced rant, his eyes gleaming maniacally. He's visibly trembling.

"You, you, you coming here, you bozo, thinking you understand everything sitting behind your big desk back at your office while we workers are out here in the Big Empty facing the elements and whatever lurks between the trees, so you company men can make more and more and more money; well I say why don' t you go and ask the bigheads at Arctic, what killed Bill here, I bet you Kennedy knows, you put him in charge, but he is hiding it from me, from Bill, this is all a big conspiracy I know-----"

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley can feel his mind weakening.
OOC,POW roll (50% stat) for hearing the voice: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:04 am
by Rooter

"You're outta line, mister," Jeff replies, now convinced that Antal is a paranoid idiot. He glances back over at the wrecked airplane. "What's taking Kramer so long? Hey, Harry, why don't you go check on him while I keep an eye on this loony."

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:21 pm
by Mister Ginge

"Goddamn loony himself, telling me what to do.." Harry mutters to himself, while walking over to Kramer.

"Hey Stanley, any luck?"

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:54 am
by evil_scientist
Stanley Kramer,[b]Stanley Kramer [/b]feels a strange taste, metallic and sweet, foul and seductive at the same time. [b]POW roll for the voice...[/b] [dice]0[/dice] The voice now resonates inside [b]Stanley[/b]'s mind. Its echoes bounce around, getting stronger and stronger. [color=#008000][i]...you are the hunter, the Hunter, the HUNTER... [/i][/color] Despite the intrusion, [b]Stanley[/b] is still completely aware of his own self and surroundings, perhaps even more than before. There is a new presence, behind his back. [color=#008000][i]...You are chosen to be the Hunter...and you yourself chose to be the Hunter...by the Fox's blood...I give you strength now, to finish what you began...cull the Herd...bring their bodies before me...prove you are the Hunter...and become one with Nature, the only true force...[/i][/color] The voice is strong and compelling, but are these promises true? [b]Stanley[/b]'s mind and consciousness is being pulled apart by unknown forces... Roll [b][color=#FF0000]SAN (0/1d3)[/color][/b]!
Looks like Antal held back talking out loud about these real or imagined wrongdoings against him for quite some time, and now the words flow out of him. "Or your corporate masters didn't tell you everything either, huh? Huh? Huh? You are just a cog in the machine, a small insignificant replaceable piece!"

Antal is now hyperventilating, flaying his arms around, then he steps forward, and pushes Jeff. Not strong, but still quite aggressively.

"We are stuck here, you and me, but at least I'm awakened, I see you for what you are, and I have no illusions any more, I will keep on fighting of course because what else can I do, but I know we are doomed!"

Harry walks over to the wreckage. Antal's mad monologue is still on... Stanley is inside the cockpit, huddled over the radio. Some lights are blinking, and the machine seems to be working. The State Trooper holds the headphones against his ear, and seems to be listening closely to a transmission. A few steps away from the airplane Harry notices a weird, unusual, out-of-place smell. His first thought is that it's fuel leakage or maybe smoke from the wreck. But then why is it so sweet, like burnt sugar?

Roll Listen!

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:57 pm
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
Listen 60%
[dice]0[/dice]
"Stanley? You ok?"

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:16 pm
by evil_scientist
Harry notices that headphones only produce harsh, loud white noise. The State Trooper doesn't react to Harry's voice.
Mister Ginge: OOC,Please, wait until we resolve one thing with Stanley before posting your next action!

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley realizes that he must be losing his mind, but he's not about to admit it.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 46) for hearing the voice: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:18 am
by evil_scientist
Stanley Kramer,The voice penetrates deep, planting a seed of evil intent into the State Trooper's mind. But, he thinks, what is so evil about it? The things the voice says, what it promises, they are all natural. [b]Stanley[/b] could finally become one with primordial forces. His work as a "State Trooper" is just a mockery of the natural laws, a substitute to his real calling - to be the Hunter. To traverse the endless forests of the nameless land, to rule over the Herd... The voice now resonates on a subconscious level. There are no words, just raw emotions. [b]Stanley[/b] is paralyzed, tied up in a battle of wills... ---- Make a [b][color=#FF0000]POW[/color][/b] roll against the compelling voice! The voice's roll: [dice]0[/dice] This is a regular success. If you roll a failure, roll [b][color=#FF0000]SAN (1/1d3)[/color][/b]. If you roll a regular success, there is a stalemate. If you roll a hard or extreme success, Stanley overcomes the voice and regains control over himself.
Harry notices that Stanley is trembling.
OOC - Mister Ginge,Okay, you can act now as you wish!

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:43 pm
by Mister Ginge

"Stanley, give me the headphones. Come on now, big guy. Easy does it.."

Harry looks rounds for Jeff. "Get your ass over here quick! There's something wrong with Stanley!"

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:19 pm
by Rooter

Jeff is glad for an excuse to get away from Antal. The guy is clearly a maniac. He turns away and heads for the airplane.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley does not respond, still struggling for control of his own mind.
OOC,POW roll (50% stat) for hearing the voice: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:10 am
by evil_scientist
"Hey, I'm not finished with you yet! Don't run away, corporate slave!" Antal shouts as Jeff quickly walks over to the airplane wreck.

Jeff and Harry see the State Trooper huddled over the radio in the cockpit. Stanley is trembling and still holding on to the headphones. His face is turned away from you.
Stanley Kramer,The voice now vibrates on a stable, unchanging frequency. What is deeply unsettling, is that it Stanley's thought-waves are slowly settling into the same pulse... Fighting the voice is like fighting ones own self. -- (Let's see what the others do!)

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am
by Rooter

Ignoring Antal, Jeff regards Kramer's condition in dismay. "Hey, trooper, don't you go flaking out on us, too." He reaches over and flicks the radio off then grabs him by the shoulder and pulls him around to see his face. "Snap out of it."

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:05 pm
by evil_scientist
The radio powers off and the noise stops. Jeff grabs the shaking Trooper. Stanley's eyes are rolled back, and his mouth is foaming... His facial muscles contract - is that a reaction to Jeff's voice?
Stanley Kramer,Stanley hears another voice, a human voice. [i]"Snap out of it..."[/i] Will this be enough to counter the pulse in Stanley's head? --- Time for another opposed [b][color=#FF0000]POW[/color][/b] roll! This time you get a [b]bonus die[/b]. I think it is probably the best to roll it like this: [code]POW roll: [dice]1d100[/dice] Bonus: [dice]1d10[/dice][/code] and then substitute the decimal of the first roll if the bonus die comes up with a better result. The voice's roll: [dice]0[/dice] This is a hard success. If you roll a failure, roll [color=#FF0000][b]SAN (1/1d5)[/b][/color]. If you roll a regular success, roll [color=#FF0000][b]SAN (1/1d3)[/b][/color]. If you roll a hard or extreme success, Stanley overcomes the voice and regains control over himself.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley continues his internal struggle.
OOC,POW roll (50% stat) to overcome the voice [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die: [dice]1[/dice] Sanity roll (current level 43) for hearing the voice: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 pm
by Mister Ginge

"Ok Stanley. I'll just take these from you." Harry carefully tries to remove the headphones. He also tries to take the shotgun & sidearm.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 pm
by Rooter

"Jeez, looks like he's having some kind of seizure," Jeff says. "We should carry him out and lie him on his side on the ground so he doesn't swallow his tongue. And keep talking to him."

The company sent him on a first aid course only a decade ago so he knows what he's talking about.

"Maybe loosen his clothing, too," he adds, babbling now. "Harry, you might have to give him the kiss of life if he stops breathing."

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 pm
by Mister Ginge

"What?!? You expect me to start french-kissing Kramer now? Are you out of your mind?" Harry blusters. "No offense Stanley" he says, realising he's being insensitive, given the circumstances.

"Antal! We need your help here."

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:02 am
by evil_scientist
OOC,Sorry for my absence, I went out of town for the weekend and forgot to announce it!
CON 60 roll for Stanley
[dice]0[/dice]

The investigators haul out Stanley's heavy body out of the cockpit and lie him on his side. In this position, the convulsions start slowing down, and, it looks like that Jeff was right.

Antal comes closer, but stops a few steps away. "Stop ordering me around! I don't care about this pig," he continues his anti-establishment slurring. Then he notices the foam around Stanley's mouth. "What the fuck, man? Is he possessed?" He starts backing off. "No, no,
no, no, no..."

Stanley Kramer,Stanley's physical condition is stabilized, but inside his head, the struggle continues... Echoes reach his consciousness. He cannot understand their banter, but they are pulling him back, against the metallic reverberation of the Voice. --- Will this be the last opposed [b][color=#FF0000]POW[/color][/b] roll? This time, Stanley gets [b]TWO bonus dice[/b]. The voice's roll: [dice]1[/dice] This is a hard success. If you roll a failure, roll [b][color=#FF0000]SAN (1/1d5)[/color][/b]. If you roll a regular success, roll [color=#FF0000][b]SAN (1/1d3)[/b][/color]. If you roll a hard or extreme success, Stanley overcomes the voice and regains control over himself.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley finally comes to his senses. "Th...thank you..." he manages.
OOC,POW roll (50% stat) to overcome the voice: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus dice: [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 am
by evil_scientist
Stanley Kramer finally comes to senses. He is heavily shaken by the ordeal. There is an almost aching absence, like a hole inside his head, where the Voice was before. Is it gone? He only hears a high-pitched tone ringing in his ears, like after an explosion... Reminds him of Vietnam.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:23 am
by Rooter

"Damn," Jeff breathes. "Well, I guess we'd better haul our asses back to the camp and radio from there. But we can leave Bill's body stowed here inside the airplane so we don't have to carry it back, can't we?"

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"I think we need to wait til Stanley is up to it," Harry says. "How you feeling big guy? What the hell happened there?"

Harry looks at Bill. 'Yep, he ain't going nowhere', he thinks to himself.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley manages to stand. "I don't think it's a good idea to leave him in the ruined plane," he says. "Animals would get at him. I can help carry him back. I'm starting to do better. There was this...weird sound on the radio. A voice. It was messing with my head. Thanks for getting me out of there."

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:15 pm
by evil_scientist
"Bullshit," cries out Antal. "I don't trust you, Trooper man! You came to senses way too quickly. The Voices got to you!"

"He is not himself anymore, you should trust him either,"
he says, turning to Jeff and Harry.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:38 pm
by Rooter

"He sounds a lot less crazy than you, buddy," Jeff replies. "Which voices?"

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"The voices tried," says Stanley, "but I'm tougher than you think. So you heard them too, huh?"

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 pm
by evil_scientist
For a second it looks like Antal is about to launch into another one of his rants. But when he speaks up, he is quiet. "I did, yes. We all did... I think."

Maybe it's just one voice, but everywhere."

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley sighs. "Then I'm not going crazy," he says. "Or if I am, I'm not the only one who is. When I found the gravely injured fox, it begged me to kill it. I did so instinctively, only later realizing that foxes can't talk. That's when the voice started on me. It approved of what I had done, said I was one with nature, and told me to cull the herd. I heard it again on the radio, trying to worm its way into my mind. It wanted me to be a hunter, and it again said to cull the herd."

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:24 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

Harry looks nervously at Stanley.
OOC:   Did Harry manage to take any guns from Kramer while he was having his funny turn?  

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 am
by evil_scientist
OOC:   Yes. He had to put them down, though (to free his hands), when you were pulling out Stanley's body out of the cockpit. Harry can have the handgun somewhere in his pocket, if you wish. The shotgun is propped up against the wreckage, a few steps away.  

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:10 pm
by Rooter

Jeff is beginning to wonder if he's the only sane person here. To distract himself he walks a little way around the wrecked airplane, scanning the ground for any indications of what may have caused the disaster.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:02 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Spot Hidden[/color][/b]!

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:15 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden = 45%[dice]0[/dice]
Jeff isn't the best woodsman by a long shot but he notices something...

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:53 pm
by evil_scientist
It looks like a strange force, perhaps a whirlwind, picked up the airplane and smashed it. The concrete pillar was torn out of the ground, and lays several feet away from its original position. The ground is covered in debris - wreckage, branches, stones, chunks of soil. There are also shallow trenches, cut into the ground by the wings and other protruding parts of the airplane.
Jeff,As [b]Jeff [/b]surveys the surroundings and the remains, suddenly everything comes together. He now sees that the debris and the trenches form an almost perfect double spiral, centered around the place where the pillar used to stand. The spiral's radius is about 15-20 feet, after that it becomes indiscernible. Roll [b][color=#FF0000]SAN (0/1)[/color][/b]! [img]https://d15u7d30w78o2.cloudfront.net/images/23777/large.?1417865860[/img]

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Sanity 57[dice]0[/dice]Sanity reduced to 56
"Whoa, would you look at that," Jeff exclaims, pointing out the perfect spiral pattern of the destruction to the others.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is no accident," says Stanley. "This was done to trap us here. There's still the radio back at the camp, but someone other than me should be the one to use it."

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"Ok then, I say we head back to the camp. Get ourselves settled for the night. And hope the radio's still working.."

Harry covertly checks the handgun in his pocket. "You ok carrying the shotgun Stanley? Or should I take it?"

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I'm good," says Stanley, holding out his hand for the shotgun. He does not appear to have noticed the absence of his pistol yet.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:05 pm
by evil_scientist
"Are you out of your mind?!" Antal shouts. "Giving a friggin' shotgun to this madman? Haven't you heard how he is supposed to be the Hunter or some shit and cull the herd? We are the herd, man, you and me, and he's going to kill us the first chance he gets!"

He steps forward and tries to take the shotgun (which is now propped up against the airplane wreck).

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd never do that," says Stanley, "If it makes you feel better, you can carry it."

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 am
by Rooter

Jeff isn't sure who he can trust anymore; he just wants to get out of here now. He still has the other shotgun from the airplane and elects to keep hold of it for now.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:42 pm
by evil_scientist
"Sh-sure, I'll take it then," says Antal, surprised that Stanley doesn't put up a fight. He picks up the weapon and automatically checks whether it's loaded - a sign that he is an experienced gun handler. Still, even with the rifle, he looks shaky and distressed.

The hike back to the camp is tougher than ever. Bill Scott's body is a heavy burden, even when taking turns carrying him. The familiar path seems alien and frightening. It's getting late, and the forest becomes darker with each step. Soon you will have to resort to flashlights. And that awful dead silence descends once again.

The physical and psychological stress is taking its toll on the investigators:
  • Everybody roll CON!
    (In case of failure, you get a -10% penalty to all stat and skill rolls until properly rested)
Jeff,While walking through the woods, [b]Jeff[/b] remembers his early childhood, the occasion when he got lost in the forest. Which is nothing new, of course, as this is one of his defining memories. But this time, a weird sensation is paired with the flashback... A new details is added to the memory he thought he knew well. He suddenly understands, that he wasn't [i]alone[/i] in the forest on that day! A strange presence was haunting him. It tried to get inside his mind. And... maybe it succeeded? Has he been living with a psychic parasite attached to him ever since? Or is it the same power toying with him, that almost drove Trooper Kramer insane? Jeff questions the integrity of his own mind... [list][b]Roll [color=#FF0000]SAN (0/1)[/color][/b]![/list]

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:11 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Sanity 56[dice]0[/dice]CON 50[dice]1[/dice]
"Why the hell did I ever agree to come out here?" Jeff mutters under his breath, looking nervously out into the woods and keeping the shotgun near at hand.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

Stanley feels astoundingly robust, as if his burdens have been lightened.
OOC,CON roll (60% stat) on the way back to camp: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:07 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Con 75
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry suffers in silence, but he desperately needs his sleeping bag. Did he bring his sleeping bag? He can't even think straight.

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 pm
by evil_scientist
Keeper stuff,Antal CON 60 [dice]0[/dice]
Stanley and Jeff dictate set a steady tempo for the hike. The young Surveyor, Antal, keeps up with them. However, Harry keeps lagging behind, and the rest have to wait up for him quite often. Antal, frustrated, even snarls at him - "Come on, mate! We cannot spend the whole night in this freakin' forest!!"

It's already pitch dark when you reach camp. From the edge of the clearing you notice that the fire is out. One of the tents is "glowing" - a flickering light is on on the inside.
OOC,You're all equipped with basic camping equipment, including flashlights. The batteries are newish, enough to last a night.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where's the radio?" asks Stanley. "The sooner we call for pickup, the sooner we get out of here."

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:12 pm
by evil_scientist
"It's in the equipment tent in the middle," Antal eagerly points to a big tent in the darkness. "It can reach to Coldfoot, or even Fairbanks if the weather permits."

"Where are the others, though? Usually at this time we are shooting the breeze by the fire."

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:58 pm
by Rooter

"Looks like they're up to something in that tent," Jeff replies, indicating the flickering light. "Is that a candle? Or one of those new-fangled portable televisions, maybe? Or are they smoking something..." He tiptoes over to the tent and peers inside, hoping to catch the surveyors in the middle of whatever it is they're doing.

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Anyone else care to try the radio?" asks Stanley. "I think I've had my fill of them."

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:06 am
by evil_scientist
OOC - Mister Ginge,What is Harry doing?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:14 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry watches Jeff tiptoe over to the tent.

"Yep, I'll try the radio. You'd better get ready to pull the headphones off though Stanley."

Harry looks about for the radio..

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:04 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC:   Where are you putting the body?  
The team splits up.

Stanley, Harry and Antal walk over to the equipment storage, a large military surplus type tent. A dozen bent metallic marking rods are piled up before the entrance. Antal leads you inside.
Stanley & Harry,Stacks of crates and various equipment - tripods, geodesic tools - clutter the tent. It's a bit chaotic, but not overtly so, and the radio is visible right away, standing on top of a collapsible table. [b]Antal[/b] walks straight up to it and pushes a few switches. The transmitter comes to life with a warm buzz. [color=#BF0000]"Okay, summon the Air Force or something, because I want to get out as soon as possible!"[/color] He hands over the headphones to [b]Harry[/b]. -------------- Mister Ginge, roll [b][color=#FF0000]Luck[/color][/b]!
Jeff tiptoes over to one of the smaller tents, where the Surveyors sleep at night (judging by the number of tents, each member of the team has his own place). He lifts the tent flap just enough to peer inside.
Jeff,[b]Jeff[/b] notices the source of the light: a heavy metal-case flashlight on the floor. It's on, but the light is blinking, flickering. Next to the flashlight [b]Jeff[/b] sees a leg, clad in massive tracking boots. From this limited angle, he cannot see who it belongs to. Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Spot Hidden[/color][/b]!

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:43 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 45[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley sets the body down inside the storage tent. "We can keep it here for now," he says. "That will help keep the animals away, though we may need to post a watch to make sure."

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 am
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Jeff notices that the flashlight's grip is covered in blood.

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 am
by Rooter

Jeff yells in alarm. "Trooper! Get over here quick! One of the surveyors is hurt bad." He pulls open the tent fully to reveal the inside.

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:28 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff calls out to his fellow investigators, then flips open the tent...
Jeff,Inside, it's a slaughterhouse. The body of Chief Surveyor [b]Ray Kennedy[/b] is splayed out in the middle of the tent in a pool of blood. His head and face is a bloody mess. His sweater is torn, and underneath, in the abdominal region, there is a huge, gaping hole in the flesh. It's like an anatomical theater - a close up of guts - only it's all to real. After noticing the blood on the flashlight, [b]Jeff [/b]was ready to see something [i]bad[/i], but this is too much for his psyche. Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Sanity (0/1)[/color][/b]!

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:04 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Sanity 56[dice]0[/dice]
"Christ!" Jeff staggers away from the tent, trying to keep from throwing up.

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:28 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Luck 65 - 10% = 58
[dice]0[/dice]
Despite his fatigue, Harry feels like things are looking up..

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:45 pm
by evil_scientist
Harry & Stanley,Inside the equipment tent the investigators huddle over the radio set. [b]Harry[/b] puts on the headphones, and carefully turns the dials. After a few seconds, he hears faint, but definitely human and [i]real[/i] voices on the other end. [color=#80BF40][i]"State Emergency Operations, Fairbanks... receiving..."[/i][/color] [b]Harry[/b] picks up the small microphone and relays a message. [b]What does he say? [/b] While Harry is busy with the radio, [b]Stanley[/b] hears [b]Jeff[/b]'s distressed shouting from the outside. [b]Antal [/b]instantly becomes hyper and agitated. [color=#BF0000]"No, no, no, not some shit again! Why can't we just leave?!"[/color] He tightens the grip on his shotgun (which he hasn't parted with ever since getting his hands on it). [color=#BF0000]"I... I don't want to go. You go and check it, you are the authority,"[/color] he says to [b]Stanley[/b]

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:21 pm
by Mister Ginge

"Mayday mayday. This Federal Safety Inspector Harry Miller. I'm at camp 204 Sukapak with survey team SKP/1975 of Arctic Construction. I repeat, camp 204 Sukapak with survey team SKP/1975 of Arctic Construction. We need urgent assistance. Repeat, urgent assistance. We have a man down and we are in present danger from sources unknown. Do you read me? Over."

Harry waits tensely for a reply.

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Tell them the plane's wrecked and we all need a lift out!" yells Stanley as he runs outside and goes to help the injured surveyor.
OOC,There's an optional rule where, if you get a natural 1 on a Luck roll, you get to "exercise" your POW by rolling against (21-POW)x5 on 1d100, increasing your POW by 1D3 if you succeed. It's up to the Keeper whether or not to use it.

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:16 am
by evil_scientist
Given the dire circumstances, and the near-fatal experience of using the radio down by the river, Harry feels that it's almost a miracle, an act of providence that the equipment works...
OOC (Mr. Handy and Mister Ginge),Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Handy! It took some time for me to find whether this rule is in 7th ed. or not, but yeah, it's there. As usual, only in the Sorcery section (as it's mostly the magic users who want to boost their POW), on page 179. "As a reward for any Luck roll result of 01, POW can be said to have been exercised. [b]Roll the percentile dice and if the roll is greater than the character’s POW, or if the roll is 96 or greater[/b], the character’s [b]POW increases by 1D10 points[/b] permanently." I'm allowing this optional rule in this case. [b]Roll [color=#FF0000]1d100[/color][/b], Mister Ginge!
Stanley Kramer quickly makes his way over to Jeff. Jeff looks as though he's just seen a ghost, but he is keeping it together.

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:57 pm
by Mister Ginge

"And the plane's wrecked and we all need a lift out!" blurts Harry, filling with a warm sense of confidence.
Spoiler:
Pow 60
[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:36 pm
by evil_scientist
"Roger, camp 204!" *crackle* "...not promising, low pressure system moving in. Approximate time of extraction..."

There's a pause, filled with a wash of static, then the operator comes back on.

"Approximate time of extraction, tomorrow morning, 09:00. Contact us tomorrow at 06:00. Camp 204, do you copy"

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley hurries into the tent, hoping he's not too late.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:52 am
by Mister Ginge

"Copy that. 6am. Try get here sooner. It's beginning to cook up a shitstorm here. Over."
Harry's sense of providence is starting to fade. Jeez, a whole night with these fruitcakes? Good thing I've got some backup. His hand automatically checks that the gun is still there.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:48 am
by evil_scientist
State Trooper Stanley Kramer quickly, but still carefully (protocol kicks in) opens the tent, where he is greeted by a gruesome scene...

The body of Chief Surveyor Ray Kennedy is splayed out in the middle of the tent in a pool of blood. His head and face is a bloody mess. His sweater is torn, and underneath, in the abdominal region, there is a huge, gaping hole in the flesh. Stanley has seen some messed up crime scenes during his work, and even worse injuries in 'Nam, but here he just cannot put a motive to it.
OOC:   How is Stanley investigating the scene?  

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:25 am
by Rooter

"Where's the other guy, Ravello?" Jeff wonders, trying to keep it together. He strides around the camp looking for any sign of the surveyor.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:37 am
by evil_scientist
There is no sign of Ravello around the camp.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Jeez..." mutters Stanley, taking care to touch nothing. "This is an active crime scene, nobody goes in here. Go tell Harry and get him to relay it over the radio." He's no forensic expert, but he does his best to search for evidence. He checks for footprints and looks to see if he can determine what weapon was used to kill Ray Kennedy, or if there is anything discarded at the scene that could be a clue.
OOC,Was the hole in his abdomen made from the inside or the outside?

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 am
by Rooter

Jeff hurries over to the equipment tent to break the news to Harry.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:21 pm
by evil_scientist
Stanley Kramer,There are several smeared bloody boot prints in the tent, probably left by the assailant. As the tent is Kennedy's living quarter, it has clothes and personal belongings, all neatly stacked on a low metallic shelf running along the side of the tent. There is only one "loose" item - a small book right next to the body, lying there in the pool of blood. Then [b]Stanley Kramer [/b]turns his attention to the body. The most plausible scenario is that Kennedy was first hit on the head, maybe several times, with a heavy object -- the metallic flashlight that is currently in the tent... Then his abdomen was crudely cut open in a hurry. As Stanley leans closer to examine the wound, he suddenly hears a faint sound! For a moment he is afraid that it's the Voice in his head again - but no! [b]Chief Surveyor Kennedy[/b] is still alive and breathing!
Jeff returns to the tent, which is currently being examined by Stanley.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"He's still alive!" cries Stanley, rushing into the tent. Trying to disturb the scene as little as possible, he kneels beside Kennedy and does his best to save his life - and his best is not inconsiderable.
OOC,First Aid roll (50% skill) trying to save [b]Kennedy[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Extreme success! :o

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:09 pm
by evil_scientist
Stanley Kramer manages to bandage Kennedy up, especially now that Jeff is around and can be sent to the equipment tent for medical supplies. The Chief Surveyor's wounds are ugly and unreasonably cruel. The abdomen cut is especially tricky - the best Stanley can do is "plug" it with some cotton wool and gauze. While working on this, Stanley gets the uncomfortable feeling that what was done to Kennedy was not simply assault, but crude surgery...

Kennedy mumbles something incomprehensible. He seems to be fading in and out of consciousness.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

Stanley listens carefully to what Kennedy is saying, able to make out everything. "Who did this to you?" he asks.
OOC,Listen roll (20% base skill) trying to hear what [b]Kennedy[/b] is saying: [dice]0[/dice] Wow! :shock: Another one!

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:36 am
by Rooter

Jeff rummages desperately through the equipment tent for anything he can find that might help.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff retrieves a first aid kit with sterile bandages from the equipment tent. It also has disinfectants and painkillers.

In the tent, Stanley listens carefully to Kennedy. The Surveyor is reciting the Lord's Prayer, which soon spirals into him repeating the last phrase over and over, in a loop. Then it soon morphs into something else.

"...lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil... deliver us from evil... deliver us from evil... cut me up... Ravello... the High Priest... sacrifice... deliver us from evil..."

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:38 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"We have another man down! Repeat, another man down! Suspect foul play. Please send rescue urgently. Over!"

Harry waits for another reply, ready to rip the headphones off if necessary..

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley keeps Kennedy stable, cleaning and dressing his wounds. "Sounds like Ravello must have done it," he says. "The guy doesn't seem to be around here any more, but maybe we can track him down."

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 am
by Rooter

"It's getting dark," Jeff says skeptically as he returns with the first aid kit. "I'm more inclined to let the nutcase fend for himself out there. But I'm not a lawman."

He does what he can to help Kennedy but seems to do more harm than good.
Spoiler:
First Aid 30[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"If we just leave him out there, he could come back and murder us in the night," says Stanley. "I'm not the world''s best tracker, but the guy's got to have left a trail with all the blood he must have gotten on him." He looks around to see which way any trail leads.

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:21 am
by Rooter

"Good point," Jeff replies, swallowing nervously and clutching the shotgun tightly. He looks around to see what Antal has been doing while all this was going on. "Can we trust him to look after Kennedy?"

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Whoever stays should be someone with some first aid training, at least," says Stanley. "I think he's stable now, but he's in pretty bad shape. If Antal gives me back my shotgun, then I think we can trust him."

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:51 pm
by evil_scientist
Antal is in the equipment tent with Harry.

"I bet Ravello is out there right now lurking in the woods, stalking us, he wants to kill us off one by one," he mumbles, grasping the shotgun.
OOC:   I assume Stanley and Jeff are chatting somewhere near Kennedy's tent, so Antal cannot hear them right now?  
Stanley checks the immediate surroundings of the tent. Here in the camp the ground is "flattened" by the Surveyors walking around all the time, and even by lamplight some bloody boot prints are visible - headed towards Mt. Sukakpak.
Stanley,Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Idea[/color][/b]!

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

All that occurs to Stanley is that even someone with his limited tracking skills would have no problem following this trail.
OOC,Idea roll (40% stat) about the tracks: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:56 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"Antal, go see what the others are doing will ya?"

Harry waits a little longer for a reply on the radio..

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:40 pm
by evil_scientist
Mr. Handy,[ooc]There might be a useful clue somewhere you missed ;)[/ooc]
The radio crackles, then a neutral voice comes through.

"Copy, camp 204... We will aim for an earlier extraction... Time pending due to bad weather reports in your area... Provide hourly check ins if possible... Over."

Antal goes over to the entrance of the equipment tent, but he is clearly afraid of stepping out. Instead, he just shouts, his voice pitching up: "Hey! Erh, Trooper! And... Corporate guy! What's going on over there?"

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:06 pm
by Rooter

"What's going on is you getting your skinny ass over here and giving the trooper his gun back," Jeff returns.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley nods, waiting for Antal to come over. He doesn't think it's a good idea to tell him what happened while he still holds the shotgun.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:57 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"Understood. Over and out." Harry carefully removes the headphones.

"Phew, that went well as could be expected. Help is on it's way. Come on Antal, let's go join the others. Best we stick together."

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:52 am
by evil_scientist
Wruter wrote:"What's going on is you getting your skinny ass over here and giving the trooper his gun back," Jeff returns.
Roll Intimidate to back this up! Who knows how the anti-authoritarian Antal reacts to Jeff bossing him around...

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:55 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Intimidate 15%[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:16 am
by evil_scientist
Harry and Antal join the rest of the team a few steps away from Kennedy's tent.

"Stop bossing me around," Antal says to Jeff.

"This baby is staying with me," he adds, lifting the shotgun.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That baby doesn't belong to you," says Stanley. "That's my baby. I let you hold it earlier, but now I need it back."

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:01 pm
by evil_scientist
"No friggin' way! I'm not that crazy! You were possessed down by the river, I saw it, and who knows, maybe you still are!"

He turns to Jeff and Harry.

"I won't give this man a weapon, and neither should you!!"

At this point Stanley realizes, that his holster is empty - his handgun is missing.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:03 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I was never possessed," says Stanley, frowning. "I fought for control over myself, and I won. If anyone's possessed, it's Ravello. He just tried to kill Ray Kennedy, and he would have if I hadn't just saved the man. You know I didn't do that, because I was with you the whole time. Ravello took off into the wilderness, and we need to go track him down. To do that, I'm going to need my weapons back. Right now, you haven't committed any crime. If you continue to refuse to return my shotgun, that's stealing police property, and maybe worse. If you return to civilization, you'll be arrested. And I seriously doubt you want to stay out here as a fugitive. Look, if you won't give the shotgun to me, at least give it to one of these two."

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:32 am
by Rooter

"Look, I'm a hopeless shot so here's what we'll do. I'll give the spare shotgun to the trooper." Jeff hands the weapon to Kramer. "And Antal can keep hold of that one to guard Kennedy while we go look for Ravello. Sound fair?"

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Stanley, slinging the shotgun over his shoulder. "Do you know what happened to my pistol?"

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:30 am
by Rooter

Jeff looks accusingly at Antal.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 am
by evil_scientist
"Well Jesus you are crazier than I though," Antal comments when Jeff hands over the shotgun.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:29 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"Jeez, calm down you guys. Help is on it's way. Just gotta check in every hour on the radio. We need to stick together if we want to pull through this. Let's all keep clear heads. Divided we fall, united we conquer." Harry looks about, wondering if he can squeeze out any more cliches.

"I've got your pistol Stanley. Sorry but you had us all worried back there. Here, you can have it back if you want.."

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says Stanley. "Are you any good with a pistol? If so, you should hold onto it for now. Otherwise, I'd better take it back."

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:10 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"I guess I'd feel safer with it. Is there a safety catch on this thing?"

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"No safety needed, it's a double-action revolver," says Stanley. "Pulling the trigger won't make it go off unless you've cocked the hammer first."

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:14 am
by evil_scientist
"Wait a minute, are you serious about this? Going out after Ravello? Well good luck with that, 'cause he knows this wilderness way better than any of us," Antal says. "And he can be anywhere!"

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:25 am
by Rooter

"He's got a point," Jeff says, glancing again in trepidation at the vast surrounding forest. "Plus it's dark. We could get lost out there and then what? Maybe we should stay here, set a continuous watch through the night until rescue comes."

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"What happens if he sneaks up on whoever's on watch and takes him out quietly?" asks Stanley. "Then we're all dead. I'm not too keen on trying to track him down out there in the dark myself, of course. There just don't seem to be any good choices, but I guess we have a better chance if we stay here. We should set up traps and alarms surrounding the camp, though. That way, if he does come back, we'll have an edge."

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:14 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
"We need to check-in hourly on the radio if possible. Unless we can take it with us, then probably best to stay put I guess. Maybe two can sleep while the others take watch. I know I need some rest real bad."

Harry is ready to hit the sack, sleeping bag or no sleeping bag.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:35 pm
by evil_scientist
"I... I can take a watch as well, if needed..." chimes in Antal.

Harry is not alone in feeling very tired. The Investigators made the hike from the river to the camp TWICE today, carrying a dead body, none the less, the second time, and witnessed unexplained phenomena... The stress, both physical and psychical, is straining. And who knows what the night will bring?!

The light of the fire is enough to reach the tents, but cannot penetrate further into the darkness.
OOC:   Please, describe your preparations! Traps, sleeping arrangements, schedule...  

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll take first watch," says Stanley, still energetic. He runs string around the camp's perimeter, stretching it between trees and attaching tin cans or other objects that will clink together and make noise should the wire be tripped. He also digs pits beyond the perimeter, covering them with crisscrossed branches with leaves on top of them, and he uses rope past the line to make traps where whoever steps in a loop will be hoisted up into a tree.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 am
by Rooter

"I'll take second watch," Jeff volunteers unenthusiastically. "And I think we should sleep in pairs, one with Kennedy and one with Antal. I'm not too crazy about the idea of letting Antal take a watch by himself, either," he adds quietly. "I say he should take the third watch with Harry to keep an eye on him."

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll stay with Kennedy when my watch is over," says Stanley. That seems like a good idea to him not only because he can provide medical help if it's needed, but also because it's probably not a good idea for him to pair up with Antal. If Antal gets paranoid in the night, Stanley might wake up dead.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:15 pm
by evil_scientist
Relying on whatever strength they have left, the investigators spend a good hour preparing the camp for the night.

State Tropper Stanley Kramer sets up traps all around. The simple yet clever and tricky devices he creates fill him with pride: he is Man, Conqueror of the Wilderness; but then when he calls himself The Hunter, the feeling sours. The Voice doesn't seem to be present in his head, but the echoes are still there.

After these arrangements, the investigators check in on Kennedy. The Chief Surveyor is in a very bad condition. His bandages are soaked with blood, and in the abdominal area, with some weird yellow puss. His body is tense, and from time to time his muscles contract - it's as if he's having a nightmare.
CON check for Kennedy,[b]CON 60[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
His pulse is falling.
OOC:   First Aid is not enough any more. A Medicine check is required.  

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:47 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Medicine 01%[dice]0[/dice]
Jeff looks on helplessly.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

Stanley does his best, but this is beyond his skill. "Help me, I'm losing him!" he calls.
OOC,Medicine roll (1% base skill) to save [b]Kennedy[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] If [b]Harry[/b] doesn't roll better, you could still save him by spending 35 Luck.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:18 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Medcine 1%
[dice]0[/dice]
"Jesus Christ! What the hell am I doing?!?"
Harry looks at his hands in horror.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
OOC:   I don't think spending most of my luck points here on a NPC is going to be worth doing to be honest.  

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:27 pm
by evil_scientist
While Stanley and Jeff struggle to untangle an IV tube found in the equipment tent, Harry kneels down and tries to restart the Chief Surveyor's heart. He places his palms on Kennedy's chest, and pushes down, with all his strength...

There is a crack, at first.

Then a tearing sound.

The bandages come loose, and the terrible wound on Kennedy's abdomen is revealed for all to see. A gaping abyss in the once living tissue. The Investigators are not experts in human anatomy, but even they realize the true reason for the Chief Surveyor's dire condition: his whole liver was removed...

Everyone roll SAN (1/1d3)!

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:12 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
SAN 57[dice]0[/dice]
"Christ on a bike. I can't believe that Ravello guy could be such a sick son of a bitch. Did Kennedy say something earlier about a high priest? This is like some kind of satanic cult ritual."

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, I think so," says Stanley. disturbed. "There was nothing we could have done. He wouldn't have survived until we got him to a hospital anyway, even if he could have had a liver transplant on short notice, and those hardly ever work."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 42) for [b]Kennedy[/b]'s death and missing liver: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:39 pm
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
San - 10% = 54
[dice]0[/dice]
San loss
[dice]1[/dice]
Harry is horrified by what he is seeing, briefly wondering if the liver fell out while he doing CPR. He slaps himself trying to get a grip.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:04 am
by evil_scientist
The investigators somberly huddle over the dead body in the blood-spattered tent.

They barely recover from the shock, when a metallic chiming commences on the outside. For a moment, everyone is surprised, but then they remember the alarms set up by State Trooper Stanley Kramer. The steel marking rods and empty cans he tied to a string surrounding the camp have come into motion - but the sound emanates not from a single point, but from all around, as if not a single person, but a whole army was approaching in the darkness. The clinking doesn't stop, growing into a metallic choir.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"That could be the wind picking up," says Stanley. Shotgun ready, he peeks outside.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:46 pm
by evil_scientist
The chiming intensifies. The State Trooper's explanation is rational and plausible, but now the Investigators understand the deep and irrational ramifications of the rising wind in this god-forsaken forest...

Stanley Kramer cautiously looks outside.
Stanley Kramer,A sudden gust of wind hits the fire in the middle of the camp, putting it out, and scattering hot ember all around. Light is on in the equipment tent, and also in one of the living tents, where [b]Antal[/b] is staying. Other than these, the camp is submerged into darkness.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, it's the wind, all right," says Stanley, shutting the flap. "It just blew out the fire." This is worse than Nam, he thinks, though he doesn't give voice to the words, lest he damage the others' morale. He takes out his flashlight. "Is there any duct tape here, or failing that some more line? I'd like to secure my light under the barrel of the shotgun."

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:30 am
by evil_scientist
Stanley can utilize band aids from the medical supplies that are with them in the tent.

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley uses the bandages to affix the flashlight under the shotgun's barrel. Lighting it, he takes another look outside.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:44 am
by Rooter

Jeff busies himself making sure the tent ropes are secure.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:46 am
by evil_scientist
The pegs are driven deep and the tent seems stable - but then Jeff recalls how their solidly tied-down airplane was picked up and smashed by the raging winds of Sukakpak...

Stanley scans their surroundings. The cone of light reaches the treeline, but doesn't penetrate into the depth of the forest. The chiming continues. It feels like a wall of pulsating sound encircles the camp. However, there isn't a slightest movement of air inside the circle. Suddenly, the sounds breaks, but just for a moment, as if to let through something. Then the metallic vibration resumes, stronger and meaner than before.

The flashlight flickers, but it's enough to illuminate a figure standing at the edge of the camp, but inside the perimeter. A dark giant, a vaguely human form, or maybe a bear standing on its hind legs? It steps forward, painstakingly slow, and lifts its arms. Staley recognizes the bulky, strong physique of Assistant Surveyor Mike Ravello, but cannot see the apparitions face - it is covered by a red-and-brown mask.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's Ravello," says Stanley. "What the hell's he doing? He's wearing some weird mask. Where'd he even get it?"

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 am
by Rooter

"Shoot the bastard," Jeff urges.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:42 pm
by Mister Ginge
"Good grief Jeff, this isn't Dirty Harry! We can't just shoot him!" exclaims Harry.

"Maybe just shoot him in the legs Stanley. You know, slow him down a bit."

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Out here, that would be as good as killing him," says Stanley. "It might be even if we were near a hospital. Shooting to wound is a myth, even with a pistol. With a shotgun, forget about it. I don't want to kill him. I don't think he's himself. He must have succumbed to the voices. I'd like to take him alive and handcuff him if I can. If I can get close enough, I can club him over the head or punch him out."

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 am
by evil_scientist
Jeff,When [b]Jeff[/b] says "shoot the bastard", he feels a soft brush of air on his face. A caressing touch, an approval of what he said. And it feels good, really good. The kind of warmth and understanding he does not get at home. And to find it, of all places, here, in this wilderness!!
While the investigators contemplate the best course of action, Ravello slowly starts walking towards them. Stanley's light reveals that the masked Surveyor is holding a large Bowie knife in his hand.

"What's going on? What is this weird sound?" Antal shouts from his tent.

Ravello stops, then changes course, starts walking towards Antal's place.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Damn, now we have to shoot!" says Stanley, training the light on Ravello as he takes aim. "Antal, don't go out! Ravello's back!" He fires, but the blast goes wide. "I wish I had my revolver. I'm a much better shot with that."
OOC,Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) roll (45% skill) shooting at [b]Ravello[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:15 pm
by evil_scientist
Ravello stops and turns his face towards the investigators. His voice comes booming over the wind and chiming.

"Do not interfere, Hunter!"

He takes another step towards Antal's place.

The tent shakes as the scared surveyor scutters away from the entrance.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Give me the pistol back and take the shotgun," Stanley tells Harry. "Keep the light trained on Ravello."

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

Harry fumbles with the pistol and hands it over. "We've got to stop him! Do something!"

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"You might as well fire the shotgun too," says Stanley as they exchange weapons. "Even without training, it's easier to hit with a long gun than with a handgun." Once the light is on his target, he squeezes off a shot and puts a bullet in Ravello.
OOC,I don't think we've established what type of revolver I have, but I'd guess it would be a .38. Those do 1D10 damage and can be fired twice per round if you start with it ready, but since I didn't, I can only get one shot off this time. [b]Antal[/b] has my original shotgun, so he should have a chance to protect himself. Firearms (Handgun) roll (70% skill) shooting at [b]Ravello[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to [b]Ravello[/b] from revolver: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:14 am
by evil_scientist
The chiming abruptly stops, giving place to the roar of the quickening wind circling around the camp. Spruce needles and leaves go flying in the air, marking out a spiral gradually closing in on the investigators.

Stanley's shot tears into Ravello's flesh. The man lets out an inhuman growl, and charges into the tent. The flashlight reveals a gleaming knife in his hand.

At the same time, a shotgun goes off inside the tent - Antal has finally gathered his senses to defend himself.

Antal's roll, Shotgun 50%
[dice]0[/dice]
Damage
[dice]1[/dice]

Ravello's charge is countered by the concentrated power of buckshot. The mad Surveyor is sent flying out of the tent and lands on the ground with a meaty thud, spraying blood everywhere.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 pm
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
Shotgun 25% - 10% = 22%
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry gets a shot off but his inexperience shows.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You got him!" Stanley calls to Antal. He turns to Harry. "Keep the light on him. I'm going to see if he's still alive." He ventures outside and makes his way over to Ravello, staying out of the line of fire, his revolver still in his hand.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:21 pm
by evil_scientist
Ravello is dead: his body was almost sawed in half by the shotgun blast. Inside his tent, Antal starts cursing and shouting: "I'm not safe with you still around get away from me get away go away now or I'll shoot!"

The whistling of the winds all around quickly amplifies into a roar.
Harry,[b]Harry[/b] sees that behind [b]Stanley[/b] a whirlwind starts picking up leaves and dirt, towering over the Trooper, easily 15-20 feet tall or more. It moves, as if possessing its own will... The sight is magnificent and horrible at the same time!! Roll [color=#FF0000][b]SAN (1/1d3)![/b][/color]
Antal's shouting transforms into a babble, only the words "No, no, no, no, no!" are intelligible.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley retreats back to the tent from which he came. "Yeah, Ravello's toast," he says. "We might want to get on the radio and let Anchorage know what happened."

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 am
by Rooter

"That means going outside in this storm to the equipment tent," Jeff points out. "Harry, when you get there, be sure to tell them to hurry up with the rescue."

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let them know there are now three dead bodies to bring back, not just one," adds Stanley, "and if they don't hurry, there's likely to be more."

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:42 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
Spoiler:
San = 60-10% = 54
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry is shocked by what he has just seen, but is frankly relieved at the chance to get away from his colleagues. Shotgun in hand, he makes a dash for the equipment tent, hoping the damn radio still works.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:04 am
by evil_scientist
The Investigators quickly gather around Kennedy's tent. As they regroup and assess the surroundings, something terrible emerges. Harry is the first to notice, then Jeff, and finally Stanley, when he turns around.

A whirlwind forms in the middle of the camp, towering over them all. Leaves, branches, loose pieces of equipment are sent flying, swirling around in the great cone of wind. A strange, sweet odor, like vanilla or cinnamon, fills the air. The howling is now a chorus of high-pitched screams laid over a steady rumbling. The unnatural phenomenon starts moving, as if possessing its own will, to intercept Harry on his way towards the equipment tent!

Stanley starts shaking... Is he having a fit?
Stanley,The rumble & screams of the wind resonate with Stanley on a primal subconscious level. He recognizes the evil vibrations of the Voice, trying to get back inside his mind, to finish what it started on the riverbank! [color=#008000]...Hunter[i]Hunter[/i]disappointmentmysonIcouldgiveyouthePowerdisappointment[i]Hunter[/i]Hunter[i]Hunter[/i]Hunter... ...return to ME, [i]Hunter[/i], and you will be spared...[/color] --- Make a [b][color=#FF0000]POW [/color][/b]roll against the voice! The voice's roll: [dice]0[/dice] This is a regular success. If you roll a failure, roll [b][color=#FF0000]SAN (1/1d3)[/color][/b]. If you roll a regular success, there is a stalemate. If you roll a hard or extreme success, Stanley overcomes the voice.
Jeff,Roll [color=#FF0000][b]SAN (1/1d3)[/b][/color] for witnessing this dark epiphany!

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:05 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
SAN 56[dice]0[/dice]
Jeff gasps then turns and runs for the cover of the trees.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Used to the voice's mental attacks, Stanley is easily able to overcome them.
OOC,POW roll (50% stat) to resist: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

Harry sees the whirlwind and stops in his tracks. He's no fool or hero and turns tail, making a run back to the tent where Stanley is. "What the hell is that?!?"

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Luck[/color][/b]!
The whirlwind stops for a moment, only to swing into motion once again. You hear Antal's scream as the furious winds come crashing down on his tent... The tarp, all the ropes, and everything that's inside is lifted into the air.
Harry + Stanley,roll [b][color=#FF0000]Sanity (0/1)[/color][/b]!

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Luck 50[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley has seen much worse than this, and he takes it in stride. "I think we now know what killed the guy we came to retrieve," he says.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 41) for seeing the tent destroyed: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:07 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff,[b]Jeff[/b] flees out of the camp and into the forest. He barely evades one of the pit traps dug by Stanley earlier... He hears the howling and screaming of the winds from the camp, but around him everything is completely silent and motionless. The smell of moist earth hangs in the air.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:02 pm
by Rooter

Alone among the trees Jeff takes the flask of whiskey from his jacket pocket and takes a pull for courage, settling down to wait until the danger at the camp is passed. He tells himself he doesn't care if the others think he's chicken, the main thing is to survive this hellhole until rescue comes.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:03 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
Spoiler:
San 60-10%=54
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry manages to keep his wits together. "We gotta do something! Let's try and distract it!"

He also wonders where that chicken Jeff has run off to.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"How can we do that without getting its attention?" asks Stanley. "If it notices us, we'll be next."

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 pm
by evil_scientist
The whirlwind accelerates, then Antal's tent is propelled out of the spinning column, landing with a loud crash, audible even over the roaring of the wind... The investigators can only pray that Antal dies on impact.

Stanley & Harry, roll Sanity (0/1)!
Stanley,Stanley can hear the Voice again, but from the outside, like a pack of wolves howling, scratching at the door, trying to get inside his head, but looks like the Trooper is warded.
Damage to Antal,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley's eyes go wide. "He might have survived," he says, "in which case he'll need help. Cover me!" He heads out to where the tent crashed to see if there's anything he can do for Antal - and to retrieve his shotgun.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 41) for seeing the tent crash: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:27 pm
by evil_scientist
The events of the day, culminating in the manifestation of the malevolent force that rules Sukakpak, finally get to the brave state trooper, Stanley Kramer. Instead of rushing to Antal's help as intended, he stops and stands paralyzed for a second, then turns to face Harry. His eyes are bloodshot, his pupils widened.

The column of the whirlwind towers menacingly over the camp, about 30 feet from the investigators, but doesn't move in any direction, as if waiting for something. A weird, sweet smell fills the air.
Stanley,As the tent comes crashing down, memories and flashbacks flood [b]Stanley[/b]'s mind. A small knot solidifies inside his brain and starts to resonate, answering to the ululations of the Voice carried by the winds. Stanley sees himself back in Vietnam, stalking enemies through the jungle. The wilderness is his home. Dominion over prey is his birthright. He is the Hunter. ------ [i][color=#FF0000][b]Stanley[/b] is down to 40 SAN (from starting 50), which means he is [b]indefinitely insane[/b]![/color][/i] He now will experience a [b][color=#FF0000]Bout of Madness[/color][/b]. Duration: [dice]0[/dice] rounds Mr. Handy, please, role play this Bout of Madness as you see fit. During this period, Stanley is the Hunter the Voice wants him to be, the Hunter who has to cull the herd, to please the Voice with a sacrifice.
Harry,[b]Harry [/b]realizes that something is VERY wrong with [b]Stanley[/b]. The Trooper is losing it, like that time down by the river.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:07 pm
by Rooter

In the forest Jeff takes another shot of whiskey. To think coming out here to Sukakpak had seemed like it would be a nice break from all the problems at home...

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:07 pm
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
SAN 56-10% = 50
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry steadies hinself, slowly raising the shotgun and pointing it at Stanley.
"You ok Stanley? Try and keep it together buddy. Help is on it's way."

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Without a word, Stanley stalks over to where he saw Antal fall, but with a different purpose. He is certain that Harry is too weak to shoot him in the back. His own shotgun lies where Antal has fallen, and it is a real weapon...a Hunter's weapon. With that in his hands, no prey is safe.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:59 am
by evil_scientist
Stanley, seemingly unfazed by Harry pointing the weapon at him, walks over to the tent, and starts untangling the mess.

Harry watches with caution. He cannot assess the Trooper's condition, nor can he predict the whirlwind's actions. He is afraid that it will pick up and crush the Trooper just as it did with Antal's tent. The whirlwind starts moving, not towards Stanley, but rather circling in one place, leaving a spiraling furrow in the soft, muddy earth.
Stanley,A jumble of rope, debris, torn and blood soaked canvas. It takes some time for Stanley to untangle the mess. Ripping open the material in one place, he stares straight into the blood-caked, pulverized face of a man now almost unrecognizable. Then his hands instinctively wrap around the shotgun he was looking for. ----------- Bout of Madness duration tracker: 7 more rounds The shotgun is a double-barrel model, with one barrel still loaded.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

With an uncanny calmness, Stanley breaks open the shotgun and loads a fresh shell into the empty barrel.
OOC,Is [b]Antal[/b] still alive?

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:11 pm
by evil_scientist
Stanley,Antal is not demonstrating any signs of life.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:55 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

Harry immediately dashes in the opposite direction towards tree cover, using the light attached to the shotgun. Once he's in the thick of it (not too far), he'll turn off the light and hide, waiting to see what Stanley does.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:39 pm
by evil_scientist
Harry,Roll [b]Luck[/b]!
Stanley,Stanley can hear the metallic whisper of the Voice, urging him - [i]"Go, Hunter... Hunt..."[/i]

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Seeing Harry flee into the woods, Stanley follows him with grim determination, shotgun held ready. The hunt has begun.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Luck 65 - 10% = 59
[dice]0[/dice]
Despite appearances, Harry seems to have luck on his side.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:40 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Listen 20%[dice]0[/dice]
Jeff doesn't hear anything. He takes another swallow of whiskey.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:21 pm
by evil_scientist
Harry,Harry, luckily, remembers where they set up the traps (initially against intruders... but now serving as hindrances against escapees), and runs off into the woods. Harry switches off his flashlight, but before doing so, notices a man sitting under a tree, some 50 feet away from him. Jeff, perhaps?
Stanley,The Prey gets a head start, and runs into the forest. But he keeps his flashlight on for quite some time, afraid to trip and hit himself against the trees... but giving a hint to the Hunter about his whereabouts. ------- Is Stanley using a light source?
The part of the forest where the investigators all end up in is made up mostly of pine trees, many of them centuries old, magnificent, ancient behemoths. The ground (slightly soggy in places from the rain) is covered in fallen needles, and there isn't much undergrowth. An awful, eerie silence descends on the forest.

The night is dark, the Moon only a waning crescent.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley stalks doggedly after his Prey. He does not use any light himself. The darkness is his friend. Why give away his position? It may take him longer to catch his Prey, but he is a patient Hunter.

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:20 am
by evil_scientist
Stanley,Stanley becomes one with the darkness... ----- Roll [b]Stealth[/b] with a [b]bonus dice[/b].

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

Thanks to the darkness, Stanley is able to move undetected.
OOC,Stealth roll (50% skill) sneaking through the woods: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:29 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

Harry reaches for a stone and throws it in the general direction away from himself & Jeff, taking care to be as quiet as possible..

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:51 pm
by evil_scientist
Stanley,A short sound breaks the eerie silence. Is it an animal? Or is it the Prey? --- Roll [b]Listen[/b]!
Jeff,Jeff sits under a tree. He is tired from today's physical and psychological strain, and is fighting to stay awake. A short, snapping sound breaks the silence of the forest! He looks around. --- Roll [b]Spot Hidden[/b]!

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:46 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 45%[dice]0[/dice]
Jeff doesn't see anything but decides he should probably get back to the camp and see if anyone else is still alive. He puts the flask of drink away, rises and starts walking back in the direction he came.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley isn't sure about the source of the noise.
OOC,Listen roll (20% base skill) to identify the sound: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 pm
by Mister Ginge

Harry stays still, barely breathing, shotgun at the ready.
Spoiler:
I'm assuming he has one shot left? Don't answer that. Adds to the suspense!

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:25 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff stands up and slowly makes his way back towards camp through the dark, silent, ominous forest.
Stanley,The Hunter's attention is now caught by another sound: footsteps, muffled by the soft forest soil. Between the trees, by the faint light, he catches the silhouette of a man walking towards the camp. --- Five rounds left of the Bout of Insanity...
Harry,Harry, to his dismay, notices that [b]Jeff [/b]stands up and starts walking towards the camp! - and, possibly, into the arms of Stanley.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

Stanley turns and follows the man he saw, trying to get behind him without being noticed.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:14 pm
by evil_scientist
Stanley,Roll [b]Sneak[/b], with advantage / bonus dice!

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

Stanley is one with the night.
OOC,Stealth roll (50% skill) trying to follow the man: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:07 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"Jeff you idiot! Run!" shouts Harry.

He then starts to move as quietly as he can away from Stanley, but trying to keep the camp in view.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 pm
by Rooter

"Huh?" Hearing the shout Jeff takes off running through the trees.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 pm
by evil_scientist
The forest is made up of ancient pine and spruce trees. They don't grow to form a dense wall, and there isn't much undergrowth... The only obstacles are the fallen trees that are scattered here or there, and the broken branches, protruding horizontally from most of the trees. One can run fast, if so inclined, but can only hide behind the bigger standing trees, or maybe lying down somewhere in the dark.
Stanley,[b]Harry[/b]'s desperate alarm cry and [b]Jeff[/b]'s quickening of pace reveals their location to [b]The Hunter[/b]. Jeff is about 15 yards from him, to the north-west, partially obscured by the darkness and the trees. Harry's voice comes from about 25 yards away, from the north. Stanley cannot see him, though. [attachment=0]forest map stanley.gif[/attachment]
Jeff,Which direction is Jeff running to? He vaguely remembers which direction is the camp. The way he is standing now (facing in the direction of the camp), he understands that Harry is somewhere to the left, maybe 30 yards away from him? But he cannot see him.
Harry,Harry understands, that his alarm cry probably revealed his (initial) position to Stanley. Which direction is he moving to? He cannot "see" the camp, but he still knows (or at least he is positive he remembers) where it is supposed to lie. [attachment=1]forest map harry.gif[/attachment]

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley pursues Jeff. While he was not the original Prey, he is closer and has been flushed out. He is now aware of Harry's approximate current location, and he can always track him down later.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 am
by Rooter

Jeff angles to the left where he thought he heard Harry's voice coming from.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:19 pm
by Mister Ginge

Harry heads north trying to circle round where he thinks the camp is. After about 10 yards, he stops. Crouching low, he listens, trying to hear anything above his own thumping heart.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 pm
by evil_scientist

Jeff,[b]Jeff [/b]carefully heads left, but Harry is nowhere to be seen, or nowhere close. There are strange, small sounds in the forest, which unnerve Jeff. [color=#0000FF]"I'm here,"[/color] he hears [b]Harry[/b]'s voice again, but cannot make out nor distance, neither direction. --- [b]Spot Hidden 45%[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
Stanley,[b]Stanley[/b] stalks through the forest, getting closer to his Prey. He notices that Jeff is pacing towards Harry for better or worse. Stanley is now about 12 yards away from the Prey, and can see him clearly: But the small twigs that cover the ground here crackle dangerously under Stanley's heavy feet. --- [b]Stealth 50%[/b] [dice]1[/dice] 4 turns left...
Harry,Harry crouches low and concentrates. He hears footsteps, somebody walking on the forest ground towards him. Jeff, perhaps? --- [b]Listen 60%[/b] [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley quickens his pace. He's not close enough yet.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:37 am
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Jeff hears footsteps, then a figure emerges from the darkness of the forest. He recognizes him - it's his fellow investigator, Stanley Kramer.
Stanley,Stanley, this time not sneaking or stalking, approaches Jeff. Jeff notices him.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:58 pm
by Rooter

"Boy am I glad to see you," Jeff says to Kramer. "What's Harry doing sneaking around?"
Spoiler:
Psychology roll to determine if he notices anything odd about Stanley 40%[dice]0[/dice]
Something about the trooper's manner is very wrong and Jeff, frightened by what he perceives, turns and flees from him, heading back toward the camp.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:18 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Stanley comes from the camp, so he is "blocking" the shortest route back. Jeff will have to pass him on his way to the camp, or circle around.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:00 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Jeff tries to circle around back to the camp once he is out of Stanley's reach.

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:35 pm
by evil_scientist
Stanley,Jeff notices Stanley, and changes route - tries to avoid the Trooper.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley hurries after Jeff, trying to close to within ten yards.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 am
by evil_scientist

Jeff,Jeff tries to evade Stanley, but the Trooper follows him sideways into the forest, staying close, but not directly approaching.
Harry,Harry is alerted by the sound of movement in the forest. He doesn't see any figures, but hears Jeff (presumably talking to Stanley): [color=#0000BF]"Let's find Harry!"[/color]

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:03 pm
by Rooter

Jeff increases his pace. "Harry! The trooper's gone mad!"

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

Momentarily confused, Harry grips his shotgun tightly.

"Don't let him near you!" he shouts. "Help is on it's way! I think I can hear a helicopter!"

This isn't the best bluff in the world, but it's the best he can manage. Keeping low, he tries to carry on circling away from Stanley and parallel to the camp.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:13 pm
by evil_scientist
The eerie silence is broken, and the forest is now filled with small sounds, shuffling all around, as if all inhabitants were at once woken by the Investigators' shouting. Yet, there are no animals or birds to be seen. There is also a strange, distant, choppy whirling sound. Maybe Harry is right about a helicopter closing in?
Stanley,But the Hunter knows that it is the sound of his Lord, the Voice, gathering strength for a final epiphany. He can hear the metallic drone in his head: [color=#0000FF][i]"What are you waiting for, Hunter? Kill for me, cull the Prey!"[/i][/color] But the grip of the Voice is weakening, reduced, forced back into suspended animation as a malevolent seed. Stanley's mind is split: [i]am I the Hunter or am I the Trooper?[/i] He feels that in this forest his only choice is to be the Hunter and serve, or face the Voice's wrath. Jeff is trying to run away, but he is still close. The darkness won't cover him, but rather there is a shimmering black halo surrounding Jeff, marking him against the silhouettes of the trees. The Hunter sees everything. --- Last turn of the bout of madness!
Jeff,Jeff increases his pace, and for a second catches a glimpse of a figure maybe a dozen yards away, in the direction where [b]Harry[/b] is supposed to be.
Harry,Harry proceeds with caution...

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 pm
by Rooter

Jeff hurries toward the figure he thinks is Harry, glancing back over his shoulder...

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,How close am I now? Can I try to resist?

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:34 am
by evil_scientist
Stanley,15 yards. No resistance. Stanley is still in his bout of madness phase (for this last turn).

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley fires at Jeff. Though the range is a little long, he still manages to wing him.
OOC,Firearms(Rifle/Shotgun) roll (45% skill) shooting at [b]Jeff[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to [b]Jeff[/b] from shotgun blast, medium range: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:33 am
by evil_scientist
In the forest, a weapon goes off with a thundering blast!
Jeff,[b]Jeff[/b] feels the shotgun pellets bore into his spine, but remains standing. The searing pain he feels proves that Jeff was right about the Trooper's murderous intent...
Stanley,The weapon goes off with a thundering blast. There's a rush of blood and otherworldly ether inside [b]Stanley[/b]'s tortured brain, and the nagging metallic Voice is gone. There is no sweet oblivion, however, no amnesia - the Trooper is painfully conscious of the recent events. He remembers what he's done, and he remembers the pleasure. Stalking through the forest in pursuit of his fellow Investigators was a perversely blissful act... The residue of this excitement still lingers in the labyrinth's of his cortex. And he also remembers the Voice being [i]very[/i] displeased with him.
Harry,[b]Harry[/b] hears the shot from behind, and the cry of a wounded person, but cannot see anybody from his standing point. Then he hears [b]Stanley[/b]'s voice, harsh and menacing: [color=#0000BF]"You are next, Harry boy!"[/color] The Trooper is very close... Maybe hiding behind one of the trees? --- Roll [b]Listen[/b]!
There is a prolonged echo after the shot, giving place to the rushing, rising, whirling sound of the wind.

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:58 pm
by Rooter

Reeling, Jeff staggers behind the cover of an ancient spruce.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Appalled at what he has done, Stanley drops the shotgun. He raises his hands high in the air and moves forward slowly. "I'm sorry!' he calls. "I wasn't in control, but I am now! Let me help you!"

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 am
by evil_scientist
Jeff,There aren't many bushes in this coniferous forest - the lower zones are mostly covered in ferns or rotting tree trunks. Jeff takes cover behind an ancient spruce.
OOC,Waiting for Harry/Mister Ginge's action!

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:15 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Listen 60-10%=54
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry stops still, trying to make sense of what he is hearing. Has Stanley shot Jeff?!?

He turns to face where he thinks Stanley might be, shotgun at the ready.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:44 pm
by evil_scientist
Harry,[i]"You are next, Harry boy"[/i] -- the words still echo inside Harry's mind, but he understands, that they weren't spoken by Stanley. Rather, they originate from the malign force that haunts the unknowable reaches of the forest and the mountain. This realization allows Harry to pinpoint the direction from where Stanley (and Jeff) must be. Harry turns around. He cannot see anything, but hears somebody speaking. Judging from the sounds, Jeff and Stanley must be about 15-20 yards from him, hidden by the trees and the darkness. But can Harry's mind deal with the fact that this force now controls the Trooper like a puppet? --- Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Sanity (0/1d3)[/color][/b]!
Jeff,Jeff ducks behind an ancient tree. He can hear [b]Stanley [/b]apologizing. Spruce needles come raining down on Jeff's head. Somewhere above, the wind starts whistling.
Stanley,Jeff must still be somewhere near, as Stanley doesn't hear any footsteps. The Hunter is gone from his head - and so is his enhanced vision... The forest around Stanley is once again dark, even darker than before. The void swallows his apologies. Spruce needles come raining down on Stanley's head. Somewhere above, the wind starts whistling.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:54 pm
by Rooter

Jeff doesn't know who he can trust anymore. Hearing the wind picking up again he starts painfully back toward the camp, figuring he needs to get to the radio and medical supplies if he's to survive until the morning rescue. He squints up at the sky trying to figure out how far dawn is off.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:08 pm
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
San 60-10%=54
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry takes several deep breaths then heads quietly towards where he thinks the others are, finger firmly on the trigger of the shotgun.

'Keep it together Harry', he tells himself. 'You got this. Gonna make one hell of a safety report.'

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Darkness reigns still. Jeff glances at his wristwatch - it's 3 o'clock. The sun will rise some time after 6 in the morning.
OOC:   Let's take some time off and wait for Mr. Handy's reply!  

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not carrying the shotgun any more!" calls Stanley. He lights his flashlight and points it downwards at himself so he can be seen, his hands still raised. "If you want to shoot me, I can't stop you, and frankly I deserve it! But I want to make up for what I've done!" He continues moving forward to where he had last seen Jeff.

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 am
by evil_scientist
Harry,Harry quickly and carefully moves in the presumed direction of the others. From about halfway, he starts feeling the rush of the wind against his body. The trees start trembling. The forest is submerged in darkness, but then suddenly a vertical cone of light appears, illuminating [b]Stanley Kramer[/b]. At first it resembles a theatrical spotlight, picking out the hero (or the villain?) of the play... but then Harry realizes that the Trooper is holding up his flashlight and points it downwards at himself. He is unarmed, standing about 8-10 yards from Harry. [b]Stanley[/b]'s lips are moving, but his voice is drown out by the noise of the wind and only fragments reach Harry: [i]...more...shoot...deserve it...[/i] [b]Jeff[/b] is nowhere to be seen.
Stanley,[b]Jeff[/b] is not where he was supposed to be. It's as if all living things have disappeared from the world. Stanley feels completely alone and isolated. The wind intensifies, and now it's rushing like a madman or a rabid animal between the trees. But around the Trooper, the air is still. Stanley cannot help but feel that he is standing straight inside the eye of a gathering storm.
Jeff,[b]Jeff[/b] makes his way through the forest, trembling from the extreme pain, but he makes it to the edge of the clearing. He recognizes the silhouettes of the tents in the darkness.

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:31 pm
by Rooter

Jeff heads for the equipment tent, pausing to glance morbidly at Ravello's corpse.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley surveys his surroundings to see if there's any trace of Jeff he can follow, such as a trail of blood.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 am
by evil_scientist
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Stanley surveys his surroundings to see if there's any trace of Jeff he can follow, such as a trail of blood.
Roll Spot Hidden, please!

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley can easily see the trail of blood, even in the dark.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (45% skill) to follow [b]Jeff[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:53 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC:   What are Harry's actions this turn, Mister Ginge?  

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:49 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

Harry approaches Stanley with his shotgun raised, hoping he doesn't have to use it.

"What have you done with Jeff?!?" he shouts. "And where's your gun?!"

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:58 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Ravello's corpse is there, with the smell of gunpowder and blood still hanging in the air... Jeff reaches the equipment tent. The radio and the portable generator seem to be in a working order.
Stanley,Stanley sees that the bloodstains point towards the direction of the camp. But before he can follow Jeff, [b]Harry [/b]steps out of the darkness, shotgun in hand. The wind keeps on howling, but the two Investigators are now close enough, and Stanley hears Harry's question.
Harry,As Harry approaches Stanley, he feels like walking through a wall of wind: one moment a sudden gush hits him in the side, but the next moment he is surrounded by still air. The Trooper is standing still, maybe looking for something on the ground? --- Roll [b]Spot Hidden[/b]!
Stanley and Harry,The wind keeps on howling, but the two Investigators are now close enough to speak.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:59 pm
by Rooter

First, Jeff uses the medical equipment to treat his injuries as best he can.

Then he rummages around for something he can use as a weapon to defend himself, even if it's just a knife.
Spoiler:
First Aid 30[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Addendum: I'll spend 4 Luck to make that First Aid roll a success.

HP restored
[dice]0[/dice]

Luck now 46
HP now 7

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I dropped the shotgun right after I shot Jeff," says Stanley, lowering his head. "I didn't want to do it. I tried not to, but I wasn't in control any more. He's hurt, but he's still alive. It looks like he went back to the camp. I can help him if we go back there."

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Spot hidden 45-10% = 40
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry squints in the darkness. "Hey, what you doing there Stanley? No sudden moves now."

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:07 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Jeff sees plenty of things to use as a weapon: heavy wrenches, saws and hatchets, a machete, a sledgehammer (used to drive in markers into the half-frozen ground), a flare gun...

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley keeps his hands raised and remains motionless, the lit flashlight illuminating him. "I'm not doing anything," he says, "and I won't without your permission."

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:18 pm
by Rooter

In the equipment tent Jeff grabs a machete and a flare gun then activates the radio.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:29 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff,The flare gun is currently unloaded (Harry, the safety inspector, would be proud!). There is also a box of six flares for Jeff to take. The radio comes alive with some sputter. Luckily, the answer comes quickly. Looks like the last distress call was taken very seriously, and the Fairbanks operator is right next to his machine. If only the transmission was any better! Half the words are drown out by white noise. [color=#00BF00]"...Emergency Operations, Fairbanks... receiving..."[/color]

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:06 pm
by Rooter

Jeff stuffs the box of flares into his jacket pocket.

"This is Jeff Michaels from the company. Everything's gone to hell out here." He gives a brief rundown of the situation including Ravello's death. "The trooper is going around shooting people and the safety inspector is status unknown. We've also got some seriously freakish weather events which are likely what did for the first guy. I'm heading out to the landing point to meet the rescue team. I'll send up a flare to mark my position. Advise extreme caution in the air, over."

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 am
by evil_scientist
Jeff,The incoming transmission is a patchwork of noise, distortion, static, but Jeff is still able to piece together some phrases. [color=#00BF00]"...team dispatched... ...clear landing point... ...approximate time... zero zero repeating five zero zero..."[/color]

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:28 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"Ok Stanley, we're going to head back to the camp. You go first, nice & easy."

Harry follows behind, praying that Jeff is ok.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 pm
by Rooter

"Affirmative. Over and out." Jeff shuts off the radio and checks his watch.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley trudges slowly back to camp.

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:00 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff,It's 3:20. The hike down to the river and the landing site will take about an hour.
Stanley and Harry,The winds still howl between the trees, stirring up dry spruce needles around the investigators, but not touching them. However, when [b]Stanley [/b]slowly starts walking towards camp, after a few steps, he feels like passing through a wall of tempest! He almost gets knocked over by the violent gush of the wind. The air is cold, but it feels like red hot iron against the exposed skin of his face. A second later it is Harry who feels the air (ice cold and scorching hot at the same time) rushing by him. Then there is a strange, shrilling sound, and a sudden change in the nature of the wind. While the investigators were speaking, the winds hung in suspension around them, a few steps away... but now the whirlwind is in motion! Before the very eyes of the investigators, spiraling lines are drawn on the ground, the dry twigs and needles marking the trajectory of the wind's movements. In the epicenter of the double spiral, the tall pillar of a tornado rises! Not as tall as the one in the camp that killed Antal, but just as vicious and menacing. --- Harry, roll [b][color=#FF0000]SAN (0/1)[/color][/b]! [img]http://www.kiwimummyblogs.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/double-spiral-tattoo.jpg[/img]

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:39 pm
by Rooter

Jeff figures he can make it down to the landing site with about half an hour to spare; the machete will come in use to cut the ties of the wrecked airplane to clear the area. With that he sets out from the camp for the landing site; if the others are still alive and sane they'll no doubt meet him there and if not, well, he doesn't intend to spend a moment longer than necessary in this godforsaken place.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should take shelter..." says Stanley.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:12 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
Spoiler:
San 60-10%= 54
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry braces himself against the wind. "Run Stanley! We gotta find Jeff!"

He attempts to make a dash for it around the whirlwind, in the direction of the camp.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

Stanley also runs for the camp.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:20 pm
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Jeff can hear the wind roaring, somewhere in the distance, from where he came from. He gathers the tools and heads down towards the river. The path is muddy and slippery... This is going to be a long hike.
Stanley and Harry,The whirlwind hangs in the air menacingly for a split second, then swings into motion! ------ [dice]0[/dice] 1, 2 - the whirlwind goes after [b]Stanley[/b]. Roll [b]Dodge[/b]! 3 - the whirlwind goes after [b]Harry[/b]. Roll [b]Dodge[/b]!

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley doesn't move fast enough to avoid the whirlwind.
OOC,Dodge roll (60% skill) to avoid the whirlwind: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:56 pm
by Rooter

Jeff walks at a steady pace, careful of his footing on the muddy ground.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:42 pm
by evil_scientist
Stanley,The whirlwind picks up Stanley as if he were a ragdoll. The forest swirls around his eyes at a tremendous speed, then he is abruptly sent flying, and collides with a tree! ---- [b]Damage[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
Harry,Harry runs through the forest, trying his best not to trip and fall. The roaring whirlwind goes after Stanley... and the next moment Harry sees the body of the Trooper flying through the air and colliding with a tree.
Jeff,This is the fourth time Jeff makes this trip today... But the forest is dark, the path elusive. Can he follow it safely, and get down the river in time? ---- Roll [b]Navigate [/b]or [b]Survival[/b], with a bonus dice.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley tries to pull himself to his feet so he can get back to camp.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:45 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Navigate/Survival both 10%[dice]0[/dice]
Bonus dice[dice]1[/dice]
Jeff pauses, swinging his flashlight this way and that, trying to figure out if he's on the right track.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 am
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

Harry falters amidst the trees. Fumbling with his torch, he turns it on, pointing it at Stanley.

"You ok?!? Quick, follow me!"

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:20 am
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Jeff understands, that he has to go "down" to get to the river, so that is what he does, follows the natural slope of the terrain. However, he has the nagging feeling that the path (or what he thinks is a path?) is not the same they used earlier today.
Harry and Stanley,Harry and Stanley continue running through the forest. Stanley is shocked by the impact, but, luckily, his feet are unhurt... or, in any case, the fear and adrenaline keeps him going. But the whirlwind doesn't stop either. It circles around the investigators, and meets Stanley face to face! ---- Roll [b]Dodge[/b] again!

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

This time Stanley is ready, and he manages to evade the whirlwind.
OOC,Dodge roll (60% skill) to avoid the whirlwind: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:59 am
by evil_scientist
Stanley,As the whirlwind rushes by, Stanley can hear the metallic Voice he knows and fears - but this time it's just a distant echo.
Stanley and Harry,Behind the backs of the running investigators the roaring sound of the wind changes pitch - and then suddenly everything goes dead silent. There's only the sound of their own breathing and footsteps. They whirlwind is nowhere to be seen. Stanley and Harry reach the campsite.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:19 am
by Rooter

Jeff curses and backtracks, looking for the right path.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley looks around for any sign of Jeff, hoping to pick up the trail of blood again.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:51 pm
by evil_scientist
Stanley and Harry,Back in the forest, Stanley knew where to look in the first place. The campsite, however, is a big territory. Where could have Jeff gone?
Jeff,Roll [b]Luck[/b]!

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:29 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"I'll check the tents! You check the perimeter. He could be anyway. You sure you just winged him?"

Harry nervously watches the trees for any movement..

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:23 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Luck 50[dice]0[/dice]
Jeff is having no luck finding the path and continues to backtrack. Maybe if the others were here, he belongs in an office not the woods...

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sure,' says Stanley. "He's hurt, but he's still ambulatory. Maybe I'd better check the tents while you check the perimeter. Jeff will probably run away if he notices me coming, and he can't do that if he's in a tent."

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:38 am
by evil_scientist
Stanley and Harry,The two investigators search the camp. They don't find Jeff, but inside the equipment tent, there are used bandages, gauze, blood. The generator is running, and the radio's lights are blinking.
Jeff,Jeff takes to the upward slope again, tracing his way back. His whole body aches and burns, and when he checks, he sees that his bandages are soaked in blood. Apart from the physical pain and tiredness, he is extremely stressed, psychologically. He is here, alone in the wilderness, lost, hurt... --- Roll [color=#FF0000][b]SAN (0/1)[/b][/color]! Roll [b]CON[/b]! --- Finally, Jeff reaches a place in the forest which he thinks he recognizes. There is a beaten path leading down - this must be the one they perused today several times. But Jeff lost a lot of time. It is now 4:30.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:10 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
SAN 56[dice]0[/dice]
CON 50[dice]1[/dice]
Jeff gathers his wits and fires one of the flares up into the sky. Even if it isn't seen by the rescue team yet at least it might show which way he went to any of the others if they survived. Then he hurries on along the path as quickly as he can go.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That way," says Stanley, pointing toward where the flare has been fired. "It looks like he's treated his own wound."

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:16 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"Ok, let's go! You first Stanley. Sorry, but I still gotta keep an eye on you."

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley nods and leads the way towards the flare.

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:52 am
by evil_scientist
Jeff,Jeff makes his way through the forest. He is slowed by his wounds, but holding up all right. And he doesn't want to risk getting lost again, so checks his surroundings often. Suddenly, Jeff notices a ray of light shining from behind. He turns around, and sees [b]Stanley [/b]coming down the same path. [b]Harry [/b]follows a few steps behind the insane Trooper. They are a a couple of dozen yards behind him.
Harry and Stanley,The two investigators go towards the flare, following the path to the riverside landing area. After about fifteen minutes, they notice a slowly moving figure - Jeff, making his way down the path.

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:21 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

"It's ok Jeff. I got him covered. How you holding up? Think you can last out for the rescue?"

Harry keeps the shotgun aimed at Stanley, not taking any chances, while still keeping one eye on the trees.

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:46 pm
by Rooter

"Boy am I glad at least one of you is still sane," Jeff replies. "Come on, we gotta hurry. We have about half an hour to make it to the landing site. Why don't we let the trooper lead the way so we can keep an eye on him."

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Stanley. "I want you to know I'm sorry. I didn't want to shoot you, but I wasn't in control any more." He leads the way towards the landing site.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 am
by evil_scientist
The Investigators cover the remaining distance in silence... Total, complete silence. Once more, the forest at the foot of Mt. Sukakpak is breathless and numb. Dawn breaks, but there are no birds singing. Even the mosquitoes (a constant presence during yesterday's hike) are absent.
Stanley,Although it isn't marked by anything in particular, Stanley recognizes the place where he shot the fox (and first encountered the Voice) as they pass it by. The metallic taste of blood fills his mouth, but he remains calm.
Finally, the group reaches the riverside landing spot. Jeff checks his watch: it's 5:10. The wreckage of the old Cessna is still there, a memento of the anger and fearful capabilities of the force that haunts Sukakpak.

The sky is covered in gray clouds. The Investigators hear the faint sound of an aircraft's engine.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 am
by Rooter

Jeff fires another flare up above them. "We need to clear the landing site of this wreckage." He glances around nervously as he speaks, perturbed by the lack of animal noises.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:37 am
by evil_scientist
Around here, the "landing strip" is actually the Koyukon river itself.
OOC,[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/1e/e1/c6/1ee1c623af2647b0b816a70a6b42f809--vintage-airplanes-cessna.jpg[/img]
Most of the wreckage is on the shore, however there are several parts of the plane's metallic carcass protruding from the water too. These are definitely something the Investigators should clean up, as they pose a risk to the incoming aircraft. The task is not impossible, but it does include most of you going into the water, tying ropes to the remains, and wrestling them ashore.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley helps to clear the wreckage out of the water, lending his considerable strength to the task.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:25 am
by evil_scientist
The Investigators do away with the most dangerous parts of the wreckage, and, wet and tired, await the rescue team... Soon a small craft appears over the treeline, and splashes down on the river. Stanley Kramer observes the touchdown procedure: maybe it's just his tiredness, but he gets a sense of indecisiveness from the unknown pilot's handling of the craft.

The plane is similar to the Cessna 206 the Investigators used to fly in yesterday, only with the insignia of the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Fairbanks division. It slowly pulls up to the riverbank, the engine now running on a low speed. Currently it is occupied by a pilot (hidden behind oversized aviator sunglasses) and a second person, who hops out as the door slides open. He is a middle-aged man clad in coveralls, carrying a medkit. He walks straight up to the group of Investigators. He assesses them, his gaze stopping at the shotgun Harry is still toting.

"Drake Humphreys," he introduces himself. "Uh... What a mess, gentlemen! Let me take a look at that injury, then we're out of here," he says, pointing at Jeff's blood-soaked bandages.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:47 am
by Rooter

"Mr. Humphreys, that's the best thing I've heard all day," Jeff says in relief, stepping forward. "This place is hell. Everyone else is dead and we very nearly came a cropper, too. Let's get on board before that damned freakish wind rises again. Look what it did to the other plane."

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mr. Humphreys," says Stanley. "I'm glad you're here."

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:46 am
by evil_scientist
"Some weather in these parts," Humphreys says, surveying the wreckage. "We didn't pick up any signs of such activity at the Center either."

He removes Jeff's old bandages. He realizes the nature of the wounds, and stands up. "Hold it, folks. Who shot this man? Was it you?" he asks, pointing at Harry who has the shotgun. "Sir, put down that weapon immediately!"

"And everyone else is dead? The whole survey team?"

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"He didn't shoot him," says Stanley. "I did, unintentionally. And yes, everyone else is dead."

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:31 pm
by Mister Ginge

"He's telling the truth. Jeez, I don't even know if this thing is is loaded."

Harry carefully places the shotgun on the floor.

"We need to get out of here right now. There's something out there. It's already killed a few of us."

Harry raises his arms in the air. "Please, you gotta believe me."

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:32 am
by evil_scientist
"Something?"

Humphreys pulls the last bandage tight on Jeff's wound with a violent tug, walks up to the shotgun on the ground, and steps on it.

"From what I've heard so far, it's you and surveyors with shotguns getting trigger-happy in the forest, and now it's some... thing? You are lucky I took an oath as a rescuer, otherwise I'd just leave you all here and call in the cops instead!"

He stares in disbelief for a few more seconds, then picks up the gun and points at the craft. "Get in. One of you take the front seat next to the pilot. The rest go in the back with me."

He sniffs. "And what's that weird smell?"

Suddenly you all notice that uncanny, nauseating, sweet vanilla scent...

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:18 pm
by Rooter

"Oh, hell, it's coming. Get us out of here, quick." Jeff scrambles into the back of the plane.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Never mind the smell," says Stanley, climbing into the front passenger seat in case he needs to act as co-pilot. "Let's get out of here while the getting's good!"

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:40 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller

Harry jumps in the plane. "Quick! Let's go!"

He scans the trees in panic.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 am
by evil_scientist
You pile into the craft and put on your safety belts and headphones. Luckily, Humphreys stops asking questions: perhaps your sincere fear rubs off on him. However, it cannot prepare him for what's to come...

The engine revs up. Before taking off, the pilot first has to execute a couple of delicate maneuvers: turn around the plane, and get into the main open part of the river. Stanley, who is sitting next to him, can now see his eyes narrowing behind the aviator glasses, concentrating on the task. But suddenly he looks up.

There is a loud noise, louder than the airplane's engine - the sound of the wind roaring. And woven into the tapestry of sound, there are fragments of voices, screams, phrases in languages human and subhuman. In the middle of the coastal landing area, the emptiness comes into motion, sending debris spiraling into the air... Once more, the whirlwind that haunts Sukakpak emerges!

The pilot takes off his hand from the controls, and removes his glasses... He cannot believe his eyes.

On the backseat, Humphreys screams like a wild animal, and starts threshing. His belt is holding him back, otherwise he'd be all over the small cabin...
Rolls,SAN loss for witnessing the manifestation, 1/1d6 [b]Pilot SAN 50[/b] [dice]0[/dice] [b]Humphreys SAN 65 [/b][dice]1[/dice] Loss [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Stanley is terrified when he sees the whirlwind, and his mind breaks.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 40) for seeing the whirlwind: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss for seeing the whirlwind: [dice]1[/dice] INT roll (40% stat) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good! [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:59 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
SAN 55[dice]0[/dice]
"Get the plane moving before it hits us, you idiot!" Jeff yells to the pilot.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:25 pm
by Mister Ginge
Harry Miller
Spoiler:
San 60 - 10% = 54
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry tries to slap Humphreys across the face. "Pull yourself together man!"

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:26 am
by evil_scientist
Humphreys thrashes and struggles, but he cannot unbuckle his seat belt. When Harry slaps him, he tries to bite him, but misses.

On the front seat, Stanley's body goes limp.
Stanley,Stanley sees [i]everything[/i] and more. He sees the arms of the spiral that's inside the whirlwind reaching out, trying to penetrate inside the minds of all present. He now clearly understands what happened to them, and to the survey team, but also to many others throughout the millennia. The Voice has always been here, forcing humans to act on their deepest, darkest desires, promising them sweet satisfaction in return. Crafting masks for all to wear - the Hunter, the Priest, the Sacrifice... All just puppets in an eternal play, doomed to unfold against the monumental backdrop of Mt. Sukakpak.
The pillar of wind tilts forward, and rushes towards the Investigators. The pilot finally grabs the controls.

The craft starts moving, gliding on the surface of the river, gradually picking up speed. Everything shakes. The wind screams and roars like an army of demons, each sound resonating in the deepest parts of the Investigators' minds. Time slows down, and the outer reaches of the sentient whirlwind hit the aircraft. Huge chunks of the body's outer covering go flying in the air. What's going to happen when the eye of the storm hits?!

You prepare for the inevitable.

The pilot pulls back the yoke, and for a mere second the plane lifts up from the water - only to be pulled back down by the wind. There is a second thrust, and the plane is finally airborne. The floats are torn away by the final tremendous blow of the wind, and then the aircraft carries you into the grey clouds.

OOC,Pilot Roll 60% [dice]0[/dice] Humphreys Brawl 30% [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:15 pm
by evil_scientist
--------------------------------------

This is the place we are bringing the scenario to a close!

I think this was an interesting experience. Thank you all very much for playing! I couldn't have asked for better players! I'd love to hear your opinions on my GMing style, the scenario, or basically anything.

Happy holidays!

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:15 pm
by Rooter
OOC:   Thanks for running this. As you say, it was an interesting experience. The confined location makes it a bit different. I'm guessing there was a lot of improvisation needed on your part but yes I think we all created a good balance.  

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thank you, that was great. It seems like the only thing we could do was to try to survive and get out of there. Is there any way to actually stop the threat? When you're ready, let me know by posting here, and I'll move this game to the Hall of Fame.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:50 am
by evil_scientist
Yes, this is pretty much a survive-and-escape scenario. I always try to pick movies or books to help me run games, this time my touchstones were
1. The Blair Witch Project
2. and especially the X-Files episode "Darkness Falls"
The Investigators,[img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9f/13/38/9f133846c7d8873eeaa6aaed43320182.jpg[/img] ;)
Some background and my thoughts on the scenario:

Sukakpak was written by Jason Morningstar and appeared in The Unspeakable Oath, #21. It's six pages, so obviously there are a lot of things you have to improvise or build yourself, based on the characters, etc. On the other hand, there are some very useful and important things included in this compact text: the three NPC backgrounds are short but VERY good, with tips on how to roleplay them.
An example,[quote][b]Assistant Surveyor Mike Ravello[/b] Ravello has reluctantly adopted the leadership role. He is a competent surveyor, comfortable in the wilderness, and a little disgusted at the disappointing situation he’s found himself in. Ravello’s opinion is that Kennedy is incompetent and Antal is a worthless, lazy bastard. If given command and competent help, he promises to push the survey through in a few weeks. To play Ravello: * Be very direct in voice and manner. * Use your hands when you talk. * If Ravello were an animal, he’d be a bear.[/quote]
So, I wanted to run Sukakpak, because I was fascinated by the setting and the atmosphere.

A significant change I made was to the "monster" / threat.

In the scenario, its nature is kept very vague, and you only learn two things, about two options of manifestation: one as the whirlwind, and one as the voices.

In the original scenario, the Voice compels characters to do unacceptable, subversive things.
Some quotes from the scenario,The author of the scenario offers [quote]a few suggestions to set the tone: Sexually violating the corpse, catching an animal and eating its liver while it still lives, blinding someone with a fish hook, building an altar out of human excrement.[/quote] or, at another point, [quote]This is also a good time for an NPC to do the bidding of the voices, which will be something obscene, violent, or otherwise awful to behold. Some examples—they might mutilate or destroy themselves, or try to eat someone’s liver while they still live, or perform some act of horrific sexual depravity.[/quote] The scenario also encourages the Keeper to get input from the players on the nature of these depravities: [quote]They can do as it wishes or they can die suffering. What [the Voice] wants is unspeakable, unimaginable (ask the players what acts it requires).[/quote]
I admit that I wasn't keen on going with the sexual depravity line. I wanted to keep this more Lovecraft, and less Clive Barker. Especially that I don't know you guys personally, I don't know your limits, etc. So I picked out a few archetypes that the Voice will want to force on the characters. The clearest one was the Trooper becoming the Hunter, and I saw it as a good options, because Stanley's Sanity turned out to be more rapidly declining, than the others. I think, ultimately, this was a good way to do things.

And I think Mr. Handy handled the possession well: of course, there was an element of meta-gaming to him dragging out the time and "waiting out" the bout of madness, but he explained it in-game by saying that the Hunter doesn't rush into battle, stalks his prey, needs a better weapon, and so on.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thank you. Stanley becoming the Hunter was a perfect fit, especially given his attitude towards nature ant the Great Outdoors. It might be a good idea not to tell a possessed player the duration, or even that it's temporary.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:39 am
by Mister Ginge
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. I know I did.

I've got to say I really enjoyed this scenario & the tension and suspense of just trying to keep alive. I think we had a few lucky breaks, dice-wise, but that added to the atmosphere for me. Also some great role-playing.

A pleasure to be part of this chaps. Thank you evil_scientist for a brilliant game!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:02 am
by evil_scientist
Mister Ginge wrote:I've got to say I really enjoyed this scenario & the tension and suspense of just trying to keep alive. I think we had a few lucky breaks, dice-wise, but that added to the atmosphere for me. Also some great role-playing.

A pleasure to be part of this chaps. Thank you evil_scientist for a brilliant game!
Some lucky breaks indeed!

Also, that last roll for the NPC pilot really got you out of trouble... Not something I generally like (having an NPC rescue the players), but, well, that's how it turned out. ;)

Thanks for playing!

Mr. Handy, I think you can archive the forum now!