Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd never do that," says Stanley, "If it makes you feel better, you can carry it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Jeff isn't sure who he can trust anymore; he just wants to get out of here now. He still has the other shotgun from the airplane and elects to keep hold of it for now.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

"Sh-sure, I'll take it then," says Antal, surprised that Stanley doesn't put up a fight. He picks up the weapon and automatically checks whether it's loaded - a sign that he is an experienced gun handler. Still, even with the rifle, he looks shaky and distressed.

The hike back to the camp is tougher than ever. Bill Scott's body is a heavy burden, even when taking turns carrying him. The familiar path seems alien and frightening. It's getting late, and the forest becomes darker with each step. Soon you will have to resort to flashlights. And that awful dead silence descends once again.

The physical and psychological stress is taking its toll on the investigators:
  • Everybody roll CON!
    (In case of failure, you get a -10% penalty to all stat and skill rolls until properly rested)
Jeff,While walking through the woods, [b]Jeff[/b] remembers his early childhood, the occasion when he got lost in the forest. Which is nothing new, of course, as this is one of his defining memories. But this time, a weird sensation is paired with the flashback... A new details is added to the memory he thought he knew well. He suddenly understands, that he wasn't [i]alone[/i] in the forest on that day! A strange presence was haunting him. It tried to get inside his mind. And... maybe it succeeded? Has he been living with a psychic parasite attached to him ever since? Or is it the same power toying with him, that almost drove Trooper Kramer insane? Jeff questions the integrity of his own mind... [list][b]Roll [color=#FF0000]SAN (0/1)[/color][/b]![/list]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Sanity 56[dice]0[/dice]CON 50[dice]1[/dice]
"Why the hell did I ever agree to come out here?" Jeff mutters under his breath, looking nervously out into the woods and keeping the shotgun near at hand.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley feels astoundingly robust, as if his burdens have been lightened.
OOC,CON roll (60% stat) on the way back to camp: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Con 75
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry suffers in silence, but he desperately needs his sleeping bag. Did he bring his sleeping bag? He can't even think straight.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Keeper stuff,Antal CON 60 [dice]0[/dice]
Stanley and Jeff dictate set a steady tempo for the hike. The young Surveyor, Antal, keeps up with them. However, Harry keeps lagging behind, and the rest have to wait up for him quite often. Antal, frustrated, even snarls at him - "Come on, mate! We cannot spend the whole night in this freakin' forest!!"

It's already pitch dark when you reach camp. From the edge of the clearing you notice that the fire is out. One of the tents is "glowing" - a flickering light is on on the inside.
OOC,You're all equipped with basic camping equipment, including flashlights. The batteries are newish, enough to last a night.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Where's the radio?" asks Stanley. "The sooner we call for pickup, the sooner we get out of here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"It's in the equipment tent in the middle," Antal eagerly points to a big tent in the darkness. "It can reach to Coldfoot, or even Fairbanks if the weather permits."

"Where are the others, though? Usually at this time we are shooting the breeze by the fire."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Looks like they're up to something in that tent," Jeff replies, indicating the flickering light. "Is that a candle? Or one of those new-fangled portable televisions, maybe? Or are they smoking something..." He tiptoes over to the tent and peers inside, hoping to catch the surveyors in the middle of whatever it is they're doing.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Anyone else care to try the radio?" asks Stanley. "I think I've had my fill of them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC - Mister Ginge,What is Harry doing?
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry watches Jeff tiptoe over to the tent.

"Yep, I'll try the radio. You'd better get ready to pull the headphones off though Stanley."

Harry looks about for the radio..
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   Where are you putting the body?  
The team splits up.

Stanley, Harry and Antal walk over to the equipment storage, a large military surplus type tent. A dozen bent metallic marking rods are piled up before the entrance. Antal leads you inside.
Stanley & Harry,Stacks of crates and various equipment - tripods, geodesic tools - clutter the tent. It's a bit chaotic, but not overtly so, and the radio is visible right away, standing on top of a collapsible table. [b]Antal[/b] walks straight up to it and pushes a few switches. The transmitter comes to life with a warm buzz. [color=#BF0000]"Okay, summon the Air Force or something, because I want to get out as soon as possible!"[/color] He hands over the headphones to [b]Harry[/b]. -------------- Mister Ginge, roll [b][color=#FF0000]Luck[/color][/b]!
Jeff tiptoes over to one of the smaller tents, where the Surveyors sleep at night (judging by the number of tents, each member of the team has his own place). He lifts the tent flap just enough to peer inside.
Jeff,[b]Jeff[/b] notices the source of the light: a heavy metal-case flashlight on the floor. It's on, but the light is blinking, flickering. Next to the flashlight [b]Jeff[/b] sees a leg, clad in massive tracking boots. From this limited angle, he cannot see who it belongs to. Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Spot Hidden[/color][/b]!
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 45[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley sets the body down inside the storage tent. "We can keep it here for now," he says. "That will help keep the animals away, though we may need to post a watch to make sure."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,Jeff notices that the flashlight's grip is covered in blood.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff yells in alarm. "Trooper! Get over here quick! One of the surveyors is hurt bad." He pulls open the tent fully to reveal the inside.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff calls out to his fellow investigators, then flips open the tent...
Jeff,Inside, it's a slaughterhouse. The body of Chief Surveyor [b]Ray Kennedy[/b] is splayed out in the middle of the tent in a pool of blood. His head and face is a bloody mess. His sweater is torn, and underneath, in the abdominal region, there is a huge, gaping hole in the flesh. It's like an anatomical theater - a close up of guts - only it's all to real. After noticing the blood on the flashlight, [b]Jeff [/b]was ready to see something [i]bad[/i], but this is too much for his psyche. Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Sanity (0/1)[/color][/b]!
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Sanity 56[dice]0[/dice]
"Christ!" Jeff staggers away from the tent, trying to keep from throwing up.

Return to “Sukakpak”