Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Post by evil_scientist »

While Stanley and Jeff struggle to untangle an IV tube found in the equipment tent, Harry kneels down and tries to restart the Chief Surveyor's heart. He places his palms on Kennedy's chest, and pushes down, with all his strength...

There is a crack, at first.

Then a tearing sound.

The bandages come loose, and the terrible wound on Kennedy's abdomen is revealed for all to see. A gaping abyss in the once living tissue. The Investigators are not experts in human anatomy, but even they realize the true reason for the Chief Surveyor's dire condition: his whole liver was removed...

Everyone roll SAN (1/1d3)!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
SAN 57[dice]0[/dice]
"Christ on a bike. I can't believe that Ravello guy could be such a sick son of a bitch. Did Kennedy say something earlier about a high priest? This is like some kind of satanic cult ritual."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, I think so," says Stanley. disturbed. "There was nothing we could have done. He wouldn't have survived until we got him to a hospital anyway, even if he could have had a liver transplant on short notice, and those hardly ever work."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 42) for [b]Kennedy[/b]'s death and missing liver: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Spoiler:
San - 10% = 54
[dice]0[/dice]
San loss
[dice]1[/dice]
Harry is horrified by what he is seeing, briefly wondering if the liver fell out while he doing CPR. He slaps himself trying to get a grip.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The investigators somberly huddle over the dead body in the blood-spattered tent.

They barely recover from the shock, when a metallic chiming commences on the outside. For a moment, everyone is surprised, but then they remember the alarms set up by State Trooper Stanley Kramer. The steel marking rods and empty cans he tied to a string surrounding the camp have come into motion - but the sound emanates not from a single point, but from all around, as if not a single person, but a whole army was approaching in the darkness. The clinking doesn't stop, growing into a metallic choir.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That could be the wind picking up," says Stanley. Shotgun ready, he peeks outside.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The chiming intensifies. The State Trooper's explanation is rational and plausible, but now the Investigators understand the deep and irrational ramifications of the rising wind in this god-forsaken forest...

Stanley Kramer cautiously looks outside.
Stanley Kramer,A sudden gust of wind hits the fire in the middle of the camp, putting it out, and scattering hot ember all around. Light is on in the equipment tent, and also in one of the living tents, where [b]Antal[/b] is staying. Other than these, the camp is submerged into darkness.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, it's the wind, all right," says Stanley, shutting the flap. "It just blew out the fire." This is worse than Nam, he thinks, though he doesn't give voice to the words, lest he damage the others' morale. He takes out his flashlight. "Is there any duct tape here, or failing that some more line? I'd like to secure my light under the barrel of the shotgun."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley can utilize band aids from the medical supplies that are with them in the tent.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley uses the bandages to affix the flashlight under the shotgun's barrel. Lighting it, he takes another look outside.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff busies himself making sure the tent ropes are secure.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The pegs are driven deep and the tent seems stable - but then Jeff recalls how their solidly tied-down airplane was picked up and smashed by the raging winds of Sukakpak...

Stanley scans their surroundings. The cone of light reaches the treeline, but doesn't penetrate into the depth of the forest. The chiming continues. It feels like a wall of pulsating sound encircles the camp. However, there isn't a slightest movement of air inside the circle. Suddenly, the sounds breaks, but just for a moment, as if to let through something. Then the metallic vibration resumes, stronger and meaner than before.

The flashlight flickers, but it's enough to illuminate a figure standing at the edge of the camp, but inside the perimeter. A dark giant, a vaguely human form, or maybe a bear standing on its hind legs? It steps forward, painstakingly slow, and lifts its arms. Staley recognizes the bulky, strong physique of Assistant Surveyor Mike Ravello, but cannot see the apparitions face - it is covered by a red-and-brown mask.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There's Ravello," says Stanley. "What the hell's he doing? He's wearing some weird mask. Where'd he even get it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Shoot the bastard," Jeff urges.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

"Good grief Jeff, this isn't Dirty Harry! We can't just shoot him!" exclaims Harry.

"Maybe just shoot him in the legs Stanley. You know, slow him down a bit."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Out here, that would be as good as killing him," says Stanley. "It might be even if we were near a hospital. Shooting to wound is a myth, even with a pistol. With a shotgun, forget about it. I don't want to kill him. I don't think he's himself. He must have succumbed to the voices. I'd like to take him alive and handcuff him if I can. If I can get close enough, I can club him over the head or punch him out."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,When [b]Jeff[/b] says "shoot the bastard", he feels a soft brush of air on his face. A caressing touch, an approval of what he said. And it feels good, really good. The kind of warmth and understanding he does not get at home. And to find it, of all places, here, in this wilderness!!
While the investigators contemplate the best course of action, Ravello slowly starts walking towards them. Stanley's light reveals that the masked Surveyor is holding a large Bowie knife in his hand.

"What's going on? What is this weird sound?" Antal shouts from his tent.

Ravello stops, then changes course, starts walking towards Antal's place.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Damn, now we have to shoot!" says Stanley, training the light on Ravello as he takes aim. "Antal, don't go out! Ravello's back!" He fires, but the blast goes wide. "I wish I had my revolver. I'm a much better shot with that."
OOC,Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) roll (45% skill) shooting at [b]Ravello[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Ravello stops and turns his face towards the investigators. His voice comes booming over the wind and chiming.

"Do not interfere, Hunter!"

He takes another step towards Antal's place.

The tent shakes as the scared surveyor scutters away from the entrance.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Give me the pistol back and take the shotgun," Stanley tells Harry. "Keep the light trained on Ravello."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Sukakpak”