Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Post by evil_scientist »

Harry,Harry quickly and carefully moves in the presumed direction of the others. From about halfway, he starts feeling the rush of the wind against his body. The trees start trembling. The forest is submerged in darkness, but then suddenly a vertical cone of light appears, illuminating [b]Stanley Kramer[/b]. At first it resembles a theatrical spotlight, picking out the hero (or the villain?) of the play... but then Harry realizes that the Trooper is holding up his flashlight and points it downwards at himself. He is unarmed, standing about 8-10 yards from Harry. [b]Stanley[/b]'s lips are moving, but his voice is drown out by the noise of the wind and only fragments reach Harry: [i]...more...shoot...deserve it...[/i] [b]Jeff[/b] is nowhere to be seen.
Stanley,[b]Jeff[/b] is not where he was supposed to be. It's as if all living things have disappeared from the world. Stanley feels completely alone and isolated. The wind intensifies, and now it's rushing like a madman or a rabid animal between the trees. But around the Trooper, the air is still. Stanley cannot help but feel that he is standing straight inside the eye of a gathering storm.
Jeff,[b]Jeff[/b] makes his way through the forest, trembling from the extreme pain, but he makes it to the edge of the clearing. He recognizes the silhouettes of the tents in the darkness.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Jeff heads for the equipment tent, pausing to glance morbidly at Ravello's corpse.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley surveys his surroundings to see if there's any trace of Jeff he can follow, such as a trail of blood.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Stanley surveys his surroundings to see if there's any trace of Jeff he can follow, such as a trail of blood.
Roll Spot Hidden, please!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley can easily see the trail of blood, even in the dark.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (45% skill) to follow [b]Jeff[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   What are Harry's actions this turn, Mister Ginge?  
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

Harry approaches Stanley with his shotgun raised, hoping he doesn't have to use it.

"What have you done with Jeff?!?" he shouts. "And where's your gun?!"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,Ravello's corpse is there, with the smell of gunpowder and blood still hanging in the air... Jeff reaches the equipment tent. The radio and the portable generator seem to be in a working order.
Stanley,Stanley sees that the bloodstains point towards the direction of the camp. But before he can follow Jeff, [b]Harry [/b]steps out of the darkness, shotgun in hand. The wind keeps on howling, but the two Investigators are now close enough, and Stanley hears Harry's question.
Harry,As Harry approaches Stanley, he feels like walking through a wall of wind: one moment a sudden gush hits him in the side, but the next moment he is surrounded by still air. The Trooper is standing still, maybe looking for something on the ground? --- Roll [b]Spot Hidden[/b]!
Stanley and Harry,The wind keeps on howling, but the two Investigators are now close enough to speak.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

First, Jeff uses the medical equipment to treat his injuries as best he can.

Then he rummages around for something he can use as a weapon to defend himself, even if it's just a knife.
Spoiler:
First Aid 30[dice]0[/dice]
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Addendum: I'll spend 4 Luck to make that First Aid roll a success.

HP restored
[dice]0[/dice]

Luck now 46
HP now 7
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I dropped the shotgun right after I shot Jeff," says Stanley, lowering his head. "I didn't want to do it. I tried not to, but I wasn't in control any more. He's hurt, but he's still alive. It looks like he went back to the camp. I can help him if we go back there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Spot hidden 45-10% = 40
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry squints in the darkness. "Hey, what you doing there Stanley? No sudden moves now."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,Jeff sees plenty of things to use as a weapon: heavy wrenches, saws and hatchets, a machete, a sledgehammer (used to drive in markers into the half-frozen ground), a flare gun...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley keeps his hands raised and remains motionless, the lit flashlight illuminating him. "I'm not doing anything," he says, "and I won't without your permission."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

In the equipment tent Jeff grabs a machete and a flare gun then activates the radio.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,The flare gun is currently unloaded (Harry, the safety inspector, would be proud!). There is also a box of six flares for Jeff to take. The radio comes alive with some sputter. Luckily, the answer comes quickly. Looks like the last distress call was taken very seriously, and the Fairbanks operator is right next to his machine. If only the transmission was any better! Half the words are drown out by white noise. [color=#00BF00]"...Emergency Operations, Fairbanks... receiving..."[/color]
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff stuffs the box of flares into his jacket pocket.

"This is Jeff Michaels from the company. Everything's gone to hell out here." He gives a brief rundown of the situation including Ravello's death. "The trooper is going around shooting people and the safety inspector is status unknown. We've also got some seriously freakish weather events which are likely what did for the first guy. I'm heading out to the landing point to meet the rescue team. I'll send up a flare to mark my position. Advise extreme caution in the air, over."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,The incoming transmission is a patchwork of noise, distortion, static, but Jeff is still able to piece together some phrases. [color=#00BF00]"...team dispatched... ...clear landing point... ...approximate time... zero zero repeating five zero zero..."[/color]
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

"Ok Stanley, we're going to head back to the camp. You go first, nice & easy."

Harry follows behind, praying that Jeff is ok.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Affirmative. Over and out." Jeff shuts off the radio and checks his watch.

Return to “Sukakpak”