Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley,A short sound breaks the eerie silence. Is it an animal? Or is it the Prey? --- Roll [b]Listen[/b]!
Jeff,Jeff sits under a tree. He is tired from today's physical and psychological strain, and is fighting to stay awake. A short, snapping sound breaks the silence of the forest! He looks around. --- Roll [b]Spot Hidden[/b]!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 45%[dice]0[/dice]
Jeff doesn't see anything but decides he should probably get back to the camp and see if anyone else is still alive. He puts the flask of drink away, rises and starts walking back in the direction he came.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley isn't sure about the source of the noise.
OOC,Listen roll (20% base skill) to identify the sound: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry stays still, barely breathing, shotgun at the ready.
Spoiler:
I'm assuming he has one shot left? Don't answer that. Adds to the suspense!
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff stands up and slowly makes his way back towards camp through the dark, silent, ominous forest.
Stanley,The Hunter's attention is now caught by another sound: footsteps, muffled by the soft forest soil. Between the trees, by the faint light, he catches the silhouette of a man walking towards the camp. --- Five rounds left of the Bout of Insanity...
Harry,Harry, to his dismay, notices that [b]Jeff [/b]stands up and starts walking towards the camp! - and, possibly, into the arms of Stanley.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley turns and follows the man he saw, trying to get behind him without being noticed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley,Roll [b]Sneak[/b], with advantage / bonus dice!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley is one with the night.
OOC,Stealth roll (50% skill) trying to follow the man: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

"Jeff you idiot! Run!" shouts Harry.

He then starts to move as quietly as he can away from Stanley, but trying to keep the camp in view.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Huh?" Hearing the shout Jeff takes off running through the trees.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The forest is made up of ancient pine and spruce trees. They don't grow to form a dense wall, and there isn't much undergrowth... The only obstacles are the fallen trees that are scattered here or there, and the broken branches, protruding horizontally from most of the trees. One can run fast, if so inclined, but can only hide behind the bigger standing trees, or maybe lying down somewhere in the dark.
Stanley,[b]Harry[/b]'s desperate alarm cry and [b]Jeff[/b]'s quickening of pace reveals their location to [b]The Hunter[/b]. Jeff is about 15 yards from him, to the north-west, partially obscured by the darkness and the trees. Harry's voice comes from about 25 yards away, from the north. Stanley cannot see him, though. [attachment=0]forest map stanley.gif[/attachment]
Jeff,Which direction is Jeff running to? He vaguely remembers which direction is the camp. The way he is standing now (facing in the direction of the camp), he understands that Harry is somewhere to the left, maybe 30 yards away from him? But he cannot see him.
Harry,Harry understands, that his alarm cry probably revealed his (initial) position to Stanley. Which direction is he moving to? He cannot "see" the camp, but he still knows (or at least he is positive he remembers) where it is supposed to lie. [attachment=1]forest map harry.gif[/attachment]
Attachments
forest map stanley.gif
forest map stanley.gif (8.55 KiB) Viewed 617 times
forest map harry.gif
forest map harry.gif (8.32 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley pursues Jeff. While he was not the original Prey, he is closer and has been flushed out. He is now aware of Harry's approximate current location, and he can always track him down later.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff angles to the left where he thought he heard Harry's voice coming from.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry heads north trying to circle round where he thinks the camp is. After about 10 yards, he stops. Crouching low, he listens, trying to hear anything above his own thumping heart.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,[b]Jeff [/b]carefully heads left, but Harry is nowhere to be seen, or nowhere close. There are strange, small sounds in the forest, which unnerve Jeff. [color=#0000FF]"I'm here,"[/color] he hears [b]Harry[/b]'s voice again, but cannot make out nor distance, neither direction. --- [b]Spot Hidden 45%[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
Stanley,[b]Stanley[/b] stalks through the forest, getting closer to his Prey. He notices that Jeff is pacing towards Harry for better or worse. Stanley is now about 12 yards away from the Prey, and can see him clearly: But the small twigs that cover the ground here crackle dangerously under Stanley's heavy feet. --- [b]Stealth 50%[/b] [dice]1[/dice] 4 turns left...
Harry,Harry crouches low and concentrates. He hears footsteps, somebody walking on the forest ground towards him. Jeff, perhaps? --- [b]Listen 60%[/b] [dice]2[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley quickens his pace. He's not close enough yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,Jeff hears footsteps, then a figure emerges from the darkness of the forest. He recognizes him - it's his fellow investigator, Stanley Kramer.
Stanley,Stanley, this time not sneaking or stalking, approaches Jeff. Jeff notices him.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Boy am I glad to see you," Jeff says to Kramer. "What's Harry doing sneaking around?"
Spoiler:
Psychology roll to determine if he notices anything odd about Stanley 40%[dice]0[/dice]
Something about the trooper's manner is very wrong and Jeff, frightened by what he perceives, turns and flees from him, heading back toward the camp.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,Stanley comes from the camp, so he is "blocking" the shortest route back. Jeff will have to pass him on his way to the camp, or circle around.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Jeff tries to circle around back to the camp once he is out of Stanley's reach.

Return to “Sukakpak”