Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Luck 65 - 10% = 58
[dice]0[/dice]
Despite his fatigue, Harry feels like things are looking up..
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Harry & Stanley,Inside the equipment tent the investigators huddle over the radio set. [b]Harry[/b] puts on the headphones, and carefully turns the dials. After a few seconds, he hears faint, but definitely human and [i]real[/i] voices on the other end. [color=#80BF40][i]"State Emergency Operations, Fairbanks... receiving..."[/i][/color] [b]Harry[/b] picks up the small microphone and relays a message. [b]What does he say? [/b] While Harry is busy with the radio, [b]Stanley[/b] hears [b]Jeff[/b]'s distressed shouting from the outside. [b]Antal [/b]instantly becomes hyper and agitated. [color=#BF0000]"No, no, no, not some shit again! Why can't we just leave?!"[/color] He tightens the grip on his shotgun (which he hasn't parted with ever since getting his hands on it). [color=#BF0000]"I... I don't want to go. You go and check it, you are the authority,"[/color] he says to [b]Stanley[/b]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

"Mayday mayday. This Federal Safety Inspector Harry Miller. I'm at camp 204 Sukapak with survey team SKP/1975 of Arctic Construction. I repeat, camp 204 Sukapak with survey team SKP/1975 of Arctic Construction. We need urgent assistance. Repeat, urgent assistance. We have a man down and we are in present danger from sources unknown. Do you read me? Over."

Harry waits tensely for a reply.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Tell them the plane's wrecked and we all need a lift out!" yells Stanley as he runs outside and goes to help the injured surveyor.
OOC,There's an optional rule where, if you get a natural 1 on a Luck roll, you get to "exercise" your POW by rolling against (21-POW)x5 on 1d100, increasing your POW by 1D3 if you succeed. It's up to the Keeper whether or not to use it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Given the dire circumstances, and the near-fatal experience of using the radio down by the river, Harry feels that it's almost a miracle, an act of providence that the equipment works...
OOC (Mr. Handy and Mister Ginge),Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Handy! It took some time for me to find whether this rule is in 7th ed. or not, but yeah, it's there. As usual, only in the Sorcery section (as it's mostly the magic users who want to boost their POW), on page 179. "As a reward for any Luck roll result of 01, POW can be said to have been exercised. [b]Roll the percentile dice and if the roll is greater than the character’s POW, or if the roll is 96 or greater[/b], the character’s [b]POW increases by 1D10 points[/b] permanently." I'm allowing this optional rule in this case. [b]Roll [color=#FF0000]1d100[/color][/b], Mister Ginge!
Stanley Kramer quickly makes his way over to Jeff. Jeff looks as though he's just seen a ghost, but he is keeping it together.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

"And the plane's wrecked and we all need a lift out!" blurts Harry, filling with a warm sense of confidence.
Spoiler:
Pow 60
[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Roger, camp 204!" *crackle* "...not promising, low pressure system moving in. Approximate time of extraction..."

There's a pause, filled with a wash of static, then the operator comes back on.

"Approximate time of extraction, tomorrow morning, 09:00. Contact us tomorrow at 06:00. Camp 204, do you copy"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley hurries into the tent, hoping he's not too late.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

"Copy that. 6am. Try get here sooner. It's beginning to cook up a shitstorm here. Over."
Harry's sense of providence is starting to fade. Jeez, a whole night with these fruitcakes? Good thing I've got some backup. His hand automatically checks that the gun is still there.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

State Trooper Stanley Kramer quickly, but still carefully (protocol kicks in) opens the tent, where he is greeted by a gruesome scene...

The body of Chief Surveyor Ray Kennedy is splayed out in the middle of the tent in a pool of blood. His head and face is a bloody mess. His sweater is torn, and underneath, in the abdominal region, there is a huge, gaping hole in the flesh. Stanley has seen some messed up crime scenes during his work, and even worse injuries in 'Nam, but here he just cannot put a motive to it.
OOC:   How is Stanley investigating the scene?  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"Where's the other guy, Ravello?" Jeff wonders, trying to keep it together. He strides around the camp looking for any sign of the surveyor.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

There is no sign of Ravello around the camp.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Jeez..." mutters Stanley, taking care to touch nothing. "This is an active crime scene, nobody goes in here. Go tell Harry and get him to relay it over the radio." He's no forensic expert, but he does his best to search for evidence. He checks for footprints and looks to see if he can determine what weapon was used to kill Ray Kennedy, or if there is anything discarded at the scene that could be a clue.
OOC,Was the hole in his abdomen made from the inside or the outside?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff hurries over to the equipment tent to break the news to Harry.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley Kramer,There are several smeared bloody boot prints in the tent, probably left by the assailant. As the tent is Kennedy's living quarter, it has clothes and personal belongings, all neatly stacked on a low metallic shelf running along the side of the tent. There is only one "loose" item - a small book right next to the body, lying there in the pool of blood. Then [b]Stanley Kramer [/b]turns his attention to the body. The most plausible scenario is that Kennedy was first hit on the head, maybe several times, with a heavy object -- the metallic flashlight that is currently in the tent... Then his abdomen was crudely cut open in a hurry. As Stanley leans closer to examine the wound, he suddenly hears a faint sound! For a moment he is afraid that it's the Voice in his head again - but no! [b]Chief Surveyor Kennedy[/b] is still alive and breathing!
Jeff returns to the tent, which is currently being examined by Stanley.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He's still alive!" cries Stanley, rushing into the tent. Trying to disturb the scene as little as possible, he kneels beside Kennedy and does his best to save his life - and his best is not inconsiderable.
OOC,First Aid roll (50% skill) trying to save [b]Kennedy[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Extreme success! :o
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley Kramer manages to bandage Kennedy up, especially now that Jeff is around and can be sent to the equipment tent for medical supplies. The Chief Surveyor's wounds are ugly and unreasonably cruel. The abdomen cut is especially tricky - the best Stanley can do is "plug" it with some cotton wool and gauze. While working on this, Stanley gets the uncomfortable feeling that what was done to Kennedy was not simply assault, but crude surgery...

Kennedy mumbles something incomprehensible. He seems to be fading in and out of consciousness.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley listens carefully to what Kennedy is saying, able to make out everything. "Who did this to you?" he asks.
OOC,Listen roll (20% base skill) trying to hear what [b]Kennedy[/b] is saying: [dice]0[/dice] Wow! :shock: Another one!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff rummages desperately through the equipment tent for anything he can find that might help.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff retrieves a first aid kit with sterile bandages from the equipment tent. It also has disinfectants and painkillers.

In the tent, Stanley listens carefully to Kennedy. The Surveyor is reciting the Lord's Prayer, which soon spirals into him repeating the last phrase over and over, in a loop. Then it soon morphs into something else.

"...lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil... deliver us from evil... deliver us from evil... cut me up... Ravello... the High Priest... sacrifice... deliver us from evil..."

Return to “Sukakpak”