Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley can feel his mind weakening.
OOC,POW roll (50% stat) for hearing the voice: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"You're outta line, mister," Jeff replies, now convinced that Antal is a paranoid idiot. He glances back over at the wrecked airplane. "What's taking Kramer so long? Hey, Harry, why don't you go check on him while I keep an eye on this loony."
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

"Goddamn loony himself, telling me what to do.." Harry mutters to himself, while walking over to Kramer.

"Hey Stanley, any luck?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley Kramer,[b]Stanley Kramer [/b]feels a strange taste, metallic and sweet, foul and seductive at the same time. [b]POW roll for the voice...[/b] [dice]0[/dice] The voice now resonates inside [b]Stanley[/b]'s mind. Its echoes bounce around, getting stronger and stronger. [color=#008000][i]...you are the hunter, the Hunter, the HUNTER... [/i][/color] Despite the intrusion, [b]Stanley[/b] is still completely aware of his own self and surroundings, perhaps even more than before. There is a new presence, behind his back. [color=#008000][i]...You are chosen to be the Hunter...and you yourself chose to be the Hunter...by the Fox's blood...I give you strength now, to finish what you began...cull the Herd...bring their bodies before me...prove you are the Hunter...and become one with Nature, the only true force...[/i][/color] The voice is strong and compelling, but are these promises true? [b]Stanley[/b]'s mind and consciousness is being pulled apart by unknown forces... Roll [b][color=#FF0000]SAN (0/1d3)[/color][/b]!
Looks like Antal held back talking out loud about these real or imagined wrongdoings against him for quite some time, and now the words flow out of him. "Or your corporate masters didn't tell you everything either, huh? Huh? Huh? You are just a cog in the machine, a small insignificant replaceable piece!"

Antal is now hyperventilating, flaying his arms around, then he steps forward, and pushes Jeff. Not strong, but still quite aggressively.

"We are stuck here, you and me, but at least I'm awakened, I see you for what you are, and I have no illusions any more, I will keep on fighting of course because what else can I do, but I know we are doomed!"

Harry walks over to the wreckage. Antal's mad monologue is still on... Stanley is inside the cockpit, huddled over the radio. Some lights are blinking, and the machine seems to be working. The State Trooper holds the headphones against his ear, and seems to be listening closely to a transmission. A few steps away from the airplane Harry notices a weird, unusual, out-of-place smell. His first thought is that it's fuel leakage or maybe smoke from the wreck. But then why is it so sweet, like burnt sugar?

Roll Listen!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Spoiler:
Listen 60%
[dice]0[/dice]
"Stanley? You ok?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Harry notices that headphones only produce harsh, loud white noise. The State Trooper doesn't react to Harry's voice.
Mister Ginge: OOC,Please, wait until we resolve one thing with Stanley before posting your next action!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley realizes that he must be losing his mind, but he's not about to admit it.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 46) for hearing the voice: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley Kramer,The voice penetrates deep, planting a seed of evil intent into the State Trooper's mind. But, he thinks, what is so evil about it? The things the voice says, what it promises, they are all natural. [b]Stanley[/b] could finally become one with primordial forces. His work as a "State Trooper" is just a mockery of the natural laws, a substitute to his real calling - to be the Hunter. To traverse the endless forests of the nameless land, to rule over the Herd... The voice now resonates on a subconscious level. There are no words, just raw emotions. [b]Stanley[/b] is paralyzed, tied up in a battle of wills... ---- Make a [b][color=#FF0000]POW[/color][/b] roll against the compelling voice! The voice's roll: [dice]0[/dice] This is a regular success. If you roll a failure, roll [b][color=#FF0000]SAN (1/1d3)[/color][/b]. If you roll a regular success, there is a stalemate. If you roll a hard or extreme success, Stanley overcomes the voice and regains control over himself.
Harry notices that Stanley is trembling.
OOC - Mister Ginge,Okay, you can act now as you wish!
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

"Stanley, give me the headphones. Come on now, big guy. Easy does it.."

Harry looks rounds for Jeff. "Get your ass over here quick! There's something wrong with Stanley!"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff is glad for an excuse to get away from Antal. The guy is clearly a maniac. He turns away and heads for the airplane.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley does not respond, still struggling for control of his own mind.
OOC,POW roll (50% stat) for hearing the voice: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Hey, I'm not finished with you yet! Don't run away, corporate slave!" Antal shouts as Jeff quickly walks over to the airplane wreck.

Jeff and Harry see the State Trooper huddled over the radio in the cockpit. Stanley is trembling and still holding on to the headphones. His face is turned away from you.
Stanley Kramer,The voice now vibrates on a stable, unchanging frequency. What is deeply unsettling, is that it Stanley's thought-waves are slowly settling into the same pulse... Fighting the voice is like fighting ones own self. -- (Let's see what the others do!)
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Ignoring Antal, Jeff regards Kramer's condition in dismay. "Hey, trooper, don't you go flaking out on us, too." He reaches over and flicks the radio off then grabs him by the shoulder and pulls him around to see his face. "Snap out of it."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The radio powers off and the noise stops. Jeff grabs the shaking Trooper. Stanley's eyes are rolled back, and his mouth is foaming... His facial muscles contract - is that a reaction to Jeff's voice?
Stanley Kramer,Stanley hears another voice, a human voice. [i]"Snap out of it..."[/i] Will this be enough to counter the pulse in Stanley's head? --- Time for another opposed [b][color=#FF0000]POW[/color][/b] roll! This time you get a [b]bonus die[/b]. I think it is probably the best to roll it like this: [code]POW roll: [dice]1d100[/dice] Bonus: [dice]1d10[/dice][/code] and then substitute the decimal of the first roll if the bonus die comes up with a better result. The voice's roll: [dice]0[/dice] This is a hard success. If you roll a failure, roll [color=#FF0000][b]SAN (1/1d5)[/b][/color]. If you roll a regular success, roll [color=#FF0000][b]SAN (1/1d3)[/b][/color]. If you roll a hard or extreme success, Stanley overcomes the voice and regains control over himself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley continues his internal struggle.
OOC,POW roll (50% stat) to overcome the voice [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die: [dice]1[/dice] Sanity roll (current level 43) for hearing the voice: [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

"Ok Stanley. I'll just take these from you." Harry carefully tries to remove the headphones. He also tries to take the shotgun & sidearm.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Jeez, looks like he's having some kind of seizure," Jeff says. "We should carry him out and lie him on his side on the ground so he doesn't swallow his tongue. And keep talking to him."

The company sent him on a first aid course only a decade ago so he knows what he's talking about.

"Maybe loosen his clothing, too," he adds, babbling now. "Harry, you might have to give him the kiss of life if he stops breathing."
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

"What?!? You expect me to start french-kissing Kramer now? Are you out of your mind?" Harry blusters. "No offense Stanley" he says, realising he's being insensitive, given the circumstances.

"Antal! We need your help here."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,Sorry for my absence, I went out of town for the weekend and forgot to announce it!
CON 60 roll for Stanley
[dice]0[/dice]

The investigators haul out Stanley's heavy body out of the cockpit and lie him on his side. In this position, the convulsions start slowing down, and, it looks like that Jeff was right.

Antal comes closer, but stops a few steps away. "Stop ordering me around! I don't care about this pig," he continues his anti-establishment slurring. Then he notices the foam around Stanley's mouth. "What the fuck, man? Is he possessed?" He starts backing off. "No, no,
no, no, no..."

Stanley Kramer,Stanley's physical condition is stabilized, but inside his head, the struggle continues... Echoes reach his consciousness. He cannot understand their banter, but they are pulling him back, against the metallic reverberation of the Voice. --- Will this be the last opposed [b][color=#FF0000]POW[/color][/b] roll? This time, Stanley gets [b]TWO bonus dice[/b]. The voice's roll: [dice]1[/dice] This is a hard success. If you roll a failure, roll [b][color=#FF0000]SAN (1/1d5)[/color][/b]. If you roll a regular success, roll [color=#FF0000][b]SAN (1/1d3)[/b][/color]. If you roll a hard or extreme success, Stanley overcomes the voice and regains control over himself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley finally comes to his senses. "Th...thank you..." he manages.
OOC,POW roll (50% stat) to overcome the voice: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus dice: [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Sukakpak”