Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How can we do that without getting its attention?" asks Stanley. "If it notices us, we'll be next."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

The whirlwind accelerates, then Antal's tent is propelled out of the spinning column, landing with a loud crash, audible even over the roaring of the wind... The investigators can only pray that Antal dies on impact.

Stanley & Harry, roll Sanity (0/1)!
Stanley,Stanley can hear the Voice again, but from the outside, like a pack of wolves howling, scratching at the door, trying to get inside his head, but looks like the Trooper is warded.
Damage to Antal,[dice]0[/dice]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley's eyes go wide. "He might have survived," he says, "in which case he'll need help. Cover me!" He heads out to where the tent crashed to see if there's anything he can do for Antal - and to retrieve his shotgun.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 41) for seeing the tent crash: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The events of the day, culminating in the manifestation of the malevolent force that rules Sukakpak, finally get to the brave state trooper, Stanley Kramer. Instead of rushing to Antal's help as intended, he stops and stands paralyzed for a second, then turns to face Harry. His eyes are bloodshot, his pupils widened.

The column of the whirlwind towers menacingly over the camp, about 30 feet from the investigators, but doesn't move in any direction, as if waiting for something. A weird, sweet smell fills the air.
Stanley,As the tent comes crashing down, memories and flashbacks flood [b]Stanley[/b]'s mind. A small knot solidifies inside his brain and starts to resonate, answering to the ululations of the Voice carried by the winds. Stanley sees himself back in Vietnam, stalking enemies through the jungle. The wilderness is his home. Dominion over prey is his birthright. He is the Hunter. ------ [i][color=#FF0000][b]Stanley[/b] is down to 40 SAN (from starting 50), which means he is [b]indefinitely insane[/b]![/color][/i] He now will experience a [b][color=#FF0000]Bout of Madness[/color][/b]. Duration: [dice]0[/dice] rounds Mr. Handy, please, role play this Bout of Madness as you see fit. During this period, Stanley is the Hunter the Voice wants him to be, the Hunter who has to cull the herd, to please the Voice with a sacrifice.
Harry,[b]Harry [/b]realizes that something is VERY wrong with [b]Stanley[/b]. The Trooper is losing it, like that time down by the river.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

In the forest Jeff takes another shot of whiskey. To think coming out here to Sukakpak had seemed like it would be a nice break from all the problems at home...
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Spoiler:
SAN 56-10% = 50
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry steadies hinself, slowly raising the shotgun and pointing it at Stanley.
"You ok Stanley? Try and keep it together buddy. Help is on it's way."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Without a word, Stanley stalks over to where he saw Antal fall, but with a different purpose. He is certain that Harry is too weak to shoot him in the back. His own shotgun lies where Antal has fallen, and it is a real weapon...a Hunter's weapon. With that in his hands, no prey is safe.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley, seemingly unfazed by Harry pointing the weapon at him, walks over to the tent, and starts untangling the mess.

Harry watches with caution. He cannot assess the Trooper's condition, nor can he predict the whirlwind's actions. He is afraid that it will pick up and crush the Trooper just as it did with Antal's tent. The whirlwind starts moving, not towards Stanley, but rather circling in one place, leaving a spiraling furrow in the soft, muddy earth.
Stanley,A jumble of rope, debris, torn and blood soaked canvas. It takes some time for Stanley to untangle the mess. Ripping open the material in one place, he stares straight into the blood-caked, pulverized face of a man now almost unrecognizable. Then his hands instinctively wrap around the shotgun he was looking for. ----------- Bout of Madness duration tracker: 7 more rounds The shotgun is a double-barrel model, with one barrel still loaded.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

With an uncanny calmness, Stanley breaks open the shotgun and loads a fresh shell into the empty barrel.
OOC,Is [b]Antal[/b] still alive?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley,Antal is not demonstrating any signs of life.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

Harry immediately dashes in the opposite direction towards tree cover, using the light attached to the shotgun. Once he's in the thick of it (not too far), he'll turn off the light and hide, waiting to see what Stanley does.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Harry,Roll [b]Luck[/b]!
Stanley,Stanley can hear the metallic whisper of the Voice, urging him - [i]"Go, Hunter... Hunt..."[/i]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Seeing Harry flee into the woods, Stanley follows him with grim determination, shotgun held ready. The hunt has begun.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Luck 65 - 10% = 59
[dice]0[/dice]
Despite appearances, Harry seems to have luck on his side.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Listen 20%[dice]0[/dice]
Jeff doesn't hear anything. He takes another swallow of whiskey.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Harry,Harry, luckily, remembers where they set up the traps (initially against intruders... but now serving as hindrances against escapees), and runs off into the woods. Harry switches off his flashlight, but before doing so, notices a man sitting under a tree, some 50 feet away from him. Jeff, perhaps?
Stanley,The Prey gets a head start, and runs into the forest. But he keeps his flashlight on for quite some time, afraid to trip and hit himself against the trees... but giving a hint to the Hunter about his whereabouts. ------- Is Stanley using a light source?
The part of the forest where the investigators all end up in is made up mostly of pine trees, many of them centuries old, magnificent, ancient behemoths. The ground (slightly soggy in places from the rain) is covered in fallen needles, and there isn't much undergrowth. An awful, eerie silence descends on the forest.

The night is dark, the Moon only a waning crescent.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley stalks doggedly after his Prey. He does not use any light himself. The darkness is his friend. Why give away his position? It may take him longer to catch his Prey, but he is a patient Hunter.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley,Stanley becomes one with the darkness... ----- Roll [b]Stealth[/b] with a [b]bonus dice[/b].
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks to the darkness, Stanley is able to move undetected.
OOC,Stealth roll (50% skill) sneaking through the woods: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

Harry reaches for a stone and throws it in the general direction away from himself & Jeff, taking care to be as quiet as possible..

Return to “Sukakpak”