Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Stanley, slinging the shotgun over his shoulder. "Do you know what happened to my pistol?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Jeff looks accusingly at Antal.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

"Well Jesus you are crazier than I though," Antal comments when Jeff hands over the shotgun.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

"Jeez, calm down you guys. Help is on it's way. Just gotta check in every hour on the radio. We need to stick together if we want to pull through this. Let's all keep clear heads. Divided we fall, united we conquer." Harry looks about, wondering if he can squeeze out any more cliches.

"I've got your pistol Stanley. Sorry but you had us all worried back there. Here, you can have it back if you want.."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks," says Stanley. "Are you any good with a pistol? If so, you should hold onto it for now. Otherwise, I'd better take it back."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

"I guess I'd feel safer with it. Is there a safety catch on this thing?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No safety needed, it's a double-action revolver," says Stanley. "Pulling the trigger won't make it go off unless you've cocked the hammer first."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Wait a minute, are you serious about this? Going out after Ravello? Well good luck with that, 'cause he knows this wilderness way better than any of us," Antal says. "And he can be anywhere!"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"He's got a point," Jeff says, glancing again in trepidation at the vast surrounding forest. "Plus it's dark. We could get lost out there and then what? Maybe we should stay here, set a continuous watch through the night until rescue comes."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What happens if he sneaks up on whoever's on watch and takes him out quietly?" asks Stanley. "Then we're all dead. I'm not too keen on trying to track him down out there in the dark myself, of course. There just don't seem to be any good choices, but I guess we have a better chance if we stay here. We should set up traps and alarms surrounding the camp, though. That way, if he does come back, we'll have an edge."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller
"We need to check-in hourly on the radio if possible. Unless we can take it with us, then probably best to stay put I guess. Maybe two can sleep while the others take watch. I know I need some rest real bad."

Harry is ready to hit the sack, sleeping bag or no sleeping bag.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"I... I can take a watch as well, if needed..." chimes in Antal.

Harry is not alone in feeling very tired. The Investigators made the hike from the river to the camp TWICE today, carrying a dead body, none the less, the second time, and witnessed unexplained phenomena... The stress, both physical and psychical, is straining. And who knows what the night will bring?!

The light of the fire is enough to reach the tents, but cannot penetrate further into the darkness.
OOC:   Please, describe your preparations! Traps, sleeping arrangements, schedule...  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll take first watch," says Stanley, still energetic. He runs string around the camp's perimeter, stretching it between trees and attaching tin cans or other objects that will clink together and make noise should the wire be tripped. He also digs pits beyond the perimeter, covering them with crisscrossed branches with leaves on top of them, and he uses rope past the line to make traps where whoever steps in a loop will be hoisted up into a tree.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I'll take second watch," Jeff volunteers unenthusiastically. "And I think we should sleep in pairs, one with Kennedy and one with Antal. I'm not too crazy about the idea of letting Antal take a watch by himself, either," he adds quietly. "I say he should take the third watch with Harry to keep an eye on him."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll stay with Kennedy when my watch is over," says Stanley. That seems like a good idea to him not only because he can provide medical help if it's needed, but also because it's probably not a good idea for him to pair up with Antal. If Antal gets paranoid in the night, Stanley might wake up dead.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Relying on whatever strength they have left, the investigators spend a good hour preparing the camp for the night.

State Tropper Stanley Kramer sets up traps all around. The simple yet clever and tricky devices he creates fill him with pride: he is Man, Conqueror of the Wilderness; but then when he calls himself The Hunter, the feeling sours. The Voice doesn't seem to be present in his head, but the echoes are still there.

After these arrangements, the investigators check in on Kennedy. The Chief Surveyor is in a very bad condition. His bandages are soaked with blood, and in the abdominal area, with some weird yellow puss. His body is tense, and from time to time his muscles contract - it's as if he's having a nightmare.
CON check for Kennedy,[b]CON 60[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
His pulse is falling.
OOC:   First Aid is not enough any more. A Medicine check is required.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Medicine 01%[dice]0[/dice]
Jeff looks on helplessly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley does his best, but this is beyond his skill. "Help me, I'm losing him!" he calls.
OOC,Medicine roll (1% base skill) to save [b]Kennedy[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] If [b]Harry[/b] doesn't roll better, you could still save him by spending 35 Luck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Medcine 1%
[dice]0[/dice]
"Jesus Christ! What the hell am I doing?!?"
Harry looks at his hands in horror.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
OOC:   I don't think spending most of my luck points here on a NPC is going to be worth doing to be honest.  

Return to “Sukakpak”