Character generation

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Character generation

Post by evil_scientist »

Before we get into stats and skills, everybody should pick a role and sketch up a short description for their character.

Required roles
  • A pilot (who might also be the state trooper),
  • An Alaska state trooper, sent to investigate and recover the body of a dead worker, - Mr. Handy - Stanley Kramer - SAN 40 / 50
  • A representative of Arctic Constructors, to investigate and make sure the survey is completed on time - Wruter - Jeff Michaels - SAN 55 / 60
Possible additional roles
  • A doctor hastily enlisted as a medical examiner,
  • A clueless and unprepared federal safety inspector - Mister Ginge - Harry Miller - SAN 56 / 60
  • A new, aggressive survey leader, sent as a replacement for the current leader

Also, please, provide some brief answers to these groups of questions:
  • What is the Investigator’s relationship to the wilderness. What do they want most in the world, and where do they see that in nature? What would make their life complete? Do they crave isolation, knowledge, resolution? What does the wilderness provide for their spirit?
  • What is it about the wilderness that frightens, unnerves or intimidates you, as the player? Wild animals? Helplessness? Unpredictable weather? A phobia or traumatic event?
  • Who are your Investigator’s family and close personal connections? Who do they love and care about? Do they have dependents?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Character generation

Post by evil_scientist »

System
We are using 7th ed.

Character generation
Use the "Quick Fire" method (preferred), as described in the rule-book (page 48), the Quick-start pdf, or even here on the forums.

Occupations
  • Safety Inspector [White Collar Worker]
    Occupation Skill Points: EDU × 4 (if not using the Quick Fire method)
    Credit Rating: 9–20
    Suggested Contacts: Other office workers.
    Skills: Accounting, Language, Law, Library Use or Computer Use, Listen, Science [Engineering], one interpersonal skill (Charm, Fast Talk, Intimidate, or Persuade), any one other skills as personal or era specialties.
  • State Trooper [Soldier/Marine]
    Occupation Skill Points: EDU × 2 + (DEX × 2 or STR × 2) (if not using the Quick Fire method)
    Credit Rating: 9–30
    Suggested Contacts: Military, veterans associations.
    Skills: Climb or Swim, Dodge, Fighting, Firearms, Stealth, Survival, and two of the following: First Aid, Mechanical Repair or Pilot.
  • Company Representative [White Collar Worker, Middle/Senior Management]
    Occupation Skill Points: EDU × 4 (if not using the Quick Fire method)
    Credit Rating: 20–80
    Suggested Contacts: Old college connections, local and federal government, media and marketing.
    Skills: Accounting, Other Language, Law, two interpersonal skills (Charm, Fast Talk, Intimidate, or Persuade), Psychology, any two other skills as personal or era specialties.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Jeff Michaels

Company Representative, male, age 38

STR 50 (25/10)
CON 50 (25/10)
SIZ 60 (30/12)
DEX 40 (20/8)
APP 50 (25/10)
EDU 84 (42/17)
INT 70 (35/14)
POW 60 (30/12)

EDU improvement check[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
No Damage Bonus / Build 0
Hit Points 11
Sanity 60
Luck[dice]1[/dice]
Luck = 50

Occupational skills:

Accounting 70
Other Language (Various) 40
Law 60
Fast Talk 50
Persuade 50
Psychology 40
Library Use 50
Appraise 40
Credit Rating 60

Non-occupational skills:

Spot Hidden 45
History 25
Drive Auto 40
Photography 25

Dodge = 20

All other skills at base level.

Description: average-looking caucasian male, smartly-dressed in business attire, well-educated, not very fit physically. An accountant by training and a city-dweller by inclination, Jeff's only relationship with the wild is the steak he eats at dinner. Jeff's father drowned in a freak accident on a fishing trip when he was a child so he has always been avoidant of nature in general since then. Jeff is married to Angela and they have just had their first child, a baby daughter. But since the birth he and Angela's relationship has deteriorated and they have been having a lot of rows recently. Jeff is moderately depressed and has been hitting the drink pretty hard as a result. When the incident came up requiring a representative from the company to go out to Sukakpak and make sure things kept on schedule after a death on site, Jeff took the opportunity to get away from home for a while.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

2xEDU improvement checks:
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]

Luck:
[dice]2[/dice]
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

EDU % points increase:
[dice]0[/dice]
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

Federal Safety Inspector, male, age 47.

STR 70 (35/14)
CON 75 (37/15)
SIZ 60 (30/12)
DEX 50 (25/10)
APP 35 (17/7)
EDU 54 (27/11)
INT 50 (25/10)
POW 60 (30/12)

Damage Bonus +1d4 / Build 1
Hit Points 13
Movement rate 8
Sanity 60
Luck 65

Occupational skills:

Accounting 50
Language 50
Law 50
Computer Use 50
Listen 60
Science (Engineering) 60
Fast Talk 50
Mechanical Repair 70

Credit Rating 20

Non-occupational skills:

Spot Hidden 45
Natural World 30
Survival (Woods) 30
Stealth 40

Dodge = 25

All other skills at base level.

Harry was an only child whose mother died when he was very young. Raised by his father, his fondest memories are of camping & fishing trips in the wilds. As an adult (single, his father deceased 20 years since), he still finds comfort in such trips, relishing the solitude and the chance to get away from it all.

He hates his job, having somehow ended up in his current employment as an ‘extended period of temporary work’. He has no idea how he hasn’t been sacked yet, spending each day bluffing and winging it by the skin of his teeth.

He has vivid memories of once getting lost in the woods when he was young. It seemed like he’d been wandering for hours, but his father hadn’t even noticed he was gone, saying “it couldn’t have more than 10 minutes.”

As a loner, getting back to nature is Harry’s main interest so he jumped at the chance when he heard about this particular assignment.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Trooper Stanley Kramer

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,EDU improvement check: [dice]0[/dice] EDU improvement: [dice]2[/dice] Starting Luck: [dice]1[/dice] I lowered my Credit Rating from 40 to 30, and I put the 10 points into Survival.
Player: Mr. Handy
Name: Trooper Stanley Kramer
Sex: Male
Birthplace: Anchorage, Alaska
Current Residence: Anchorage, Alaska
Colleges, Degrees: None

Characteristics:
STR: 80 (40/16)
CON: 60 (30/12)
SIZ: 60 (30/12)
DEX: 70 (35/14)
APP: 50 (25/10)
INT: 40 (20/8)
POW: 50 (25/10)
EDU: 54 (27/10)

Hit Points: 12 / 12
Magic Points: 10 / 10
Maximum Sanity (99 - Cthulhu Mythos): 99
Sanity: 50
Luck: 60
Move Rate: 9
Build: +1
Damage Bonus: +1D4

Skills:
Non-Default are bolded. Occupational Skills in Italics. Personal Interests preceded by a DOT.
Accounting (05%):
Animal Handling (05%):
Anthropology (01%):
Appraise (05%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art: / Craft: (05%):
Charm (15%):
Climb (20%): 40%
Computer Use (01%):
Credit Rating (00%): 30%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Demolitions (01%):
Disguise (05%):
Diving (01%):
Dodge (1/2 DEX): 60%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
Fighting (Brawl) (25%): 60%
Firearms (Handgun) (20%): 70%
.Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) (25%): 45%
.First Aid (30%): 50%
History (05%):
Hypnosis (01%):
Intimidate (15%):
Jump (20%):
Language (English) (EDU): 54%
Law (05%):
Library Use (20%):
Listen (20%):
Locksmith (01%):
Mechanical Repair (10%): 50%
Medicine (01%):
Natural World (10%):
.Navigate (10%): 30%
Occult (10%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%):
Persuade (10%):
Pilot Civil Prop (01%): 50%
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (10%):
Read Lips (01%):
Ride (05%):
Science (01%):
Sleight of Hand (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 45%
Stealth (20%): 50%
Survival (10%): 50%
Swim (20%):
Throw (20%):
Track (10%):

Background: Stanley Kramer was born in Anchorage, Alaska shortly after World War Two, before it was a State. His father Jack was a decorated veteran in the war and then joined the Alaska Highway Patrol, which later changed its name several times until it became the Alaska State Police in 1959 and finally the Alaska State Troopers in 1967. Stanley followed in his father's footsteps, serving two tours in Vietnam before joining the Alaska State Troopers. He is an eight-year veteran of the force, and he is also a qualified pilot. Stanley is a big man, and most of his girth is muscle. He takes his job seriously, but he is not without a sense of humor.

Stanley feels a deep connection to the land, which he credits in part to the fact that he is 1/16 Inuit. He is comfortable out in the wild and tough enough to take whatever it can throw at him. What he wants most is to live in peace, and he sees the Great Outdoors as far more peaceful than the hustle and bustle of modern city life. He is still single, and what would make his life complete would be to fall in love with and marry the right woman. He doesn't mind isolation and enjoys getting away from it all, though he does still want human companionship. The wilderness helps him to renew his spirit. Getting away from it all on a hunting or fishing trip is his idea of the ideal vacation.

Stanley is close to his father Jack and mother Joan, as well as his younger sister Nancy, and he visits them whenever he is in Anchorage. He loves and cares deeply about them. He does not have a wife or children yet, but he does have a dog, a Golden Retriever named Murphy.

What intimidates me personally about the wilderness is the lack of technology and civilization.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

State Trooper Stanley Kramer is equipped with a personal sidearm and a shotgun. There is an additional shotgun in the Cessna (a general precaution against bears...). All of you have basic camping equipment, conserved food, etc., in case you must spend the night.

Return to “Sukakpak”