Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Spoiler:
Jeff notices Stanley, and changes route - tries to avoid the Trooper.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 am

Image

Stanley hurries after Jeff, trying to close to within ten yards.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 am

Image



Spoiler:
Jeff tries to evade Stanley, but the Trooper follows him sideways into the forest, staying close, but not directly approaching.


Spoiler:
Harry is alerted by the sound of movement in the forest. He doesn't see any figures, but hears Jeff (presumably talking to Stanley): "Let's find Harry!"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Image

Jeff increases his pace. "Harry! The trooper's gone mad!"
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: MCR

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am

Harry Miller

Momentarily confused, Harry grips his shotgun tightly.

"Don't let him near you!" he shouts. "Help is on it's way! I think I can hear a helicopter!"

This isn't the best bluff in the world, but it's the best he can manage. Keeping low, he tries to carry on circling away from Stanley and parallel to the camp.
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:13 pm

The eerie silence is broken, and the forest is now filled with small sounds, shuffling all around, as if all inhabitants were at once woken by the Investigators' shouting. Yet, there are no animals or birds to be seen. There is also a strange, distant, choppy whirling sound. Maybe Harry is right about a helicopter closing in?

Spoiler:
But the Hunter knows that it is the sound of his Lord, the Voice, gathering strength for a final epiphany. He can hear the metallic drone in his head: "What are you waiting for, Hunter? Kill for me, cull the Prey!" But the grip of the Voice is weakening, reduced, forced back into suspended animation as a malevolent seed. Stanley's mind is split: am I the Hunter or am I the Trooper? He feels that in this forest his only choice is to be the Hunter and serve, or face the Voice's wrath.

Jeff is trying to run away, but he is still close. The darkness won't cover him, but rather there is a shimmering black halo surrounding Jeff, marking him against the silhouettes of the trees. The Hunter sees everything.

---

Last turn of the bout of madness!


Spoiler:
Jeff increases his pace, and for a second catches a glimpse of a figure maybe a dozen yards away, in the direction where Harry is supposed to be.


Spoiler:
Harry proceeds with caution...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Image

Jeff hurries toward the figure he thinks is Harry, glancing back over his shoulder...
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: MCR

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:39 am

Spoiler:
How close am I now? Can I try to resist?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:34 am

Spoiler:
15 yards.

No resistance. Stanley is still in his bout of madness phase (for this last turn).
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:42 am

Image

Stanley fires at Jeff. Though the range is a little long, he still manages to wing him.

Spoiler:
Firearms(Rifle/Shotgun) roll (45% skill) shooting at Jeff:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
42

Damage to Jeff from shotgun blast, medium range:
Mr. Handy rolled 2d6:
2, 3
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:33 am

In the forest, a weapon goes off with a thundering blast!

Spoiler:
Jeff feels the shotgun pellets bore into his spine, but remains standing. The searing pain he feels proves that Jeff was right about the Trooper's murderous intent...


Spoiler:
The weapon goes off with a thundering blast. There's a rush of blood and otherworldly ether inside Stanley's tortured brain, and the nagging metallic Voice is gone. There is no sweet oblivion, however, no amnesia - the Trooper is painfully conscious of the recent events. He remembers what he's done, and he remembers the pleasure. Stalking through the forest in pursuit of his fellow Investigators was a perversely blissful act... The residue of this excitement still lingers in the labyrinth's of his cortex.

And he also remembers the Voice being very displeased with him.


Spoiler:
Harry hears the shot from behind, and the cry of a wounded person, but cannot see anybody from his standing point.

Then he hears Stanley's voice, harsh and menacing: "You are next, Harry boy!" The Trooper is very close... Maybe hiding behind one of the trees?

---

Roll Listen!


There is a prolonged echo after the shot, giving place to the rushing, rising, whirling sound of the wind.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Image

Reeling, Jeff staggers behind the cover of an ancient spruce.
Last edited by Wruter on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: MCR

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:31 am

Image

Appalled at what he has done, Stanley drops the shotgun. He raises his hands high in the air and moves forward slowly. "I'm sorry!' he calls. "I wasn't in control, but I am now! Let me help you!"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 am

Spoiler:
There aren't many bushes in this coniferous forest - the lower zones are mostly covered in ferns or rotting tree trunks. Jeff takes cover behind an ancient spruce.


Spoiler:
Waiting for Harry/Mister Ginge's action!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:15 am

Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Listen 60-10%=54
Mister Ginge rolled 1d100:
7

Harry stops still, trying to make sense of what he is hearing. Has Stanley shot Jeff?!?

He turns to face where he thinks Stanley might be, shotgun at the ready.
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Spoiler:
"You are next, Harry boy" -- the words still echo inside Harry's mind, but he understands, that they weren't spoken by Stanley. Rather, they originate from the malign force that haunts the unknowable reaches of the forest and the mountain. This realization allows Harry to pinpoint the direction from where Stanley (and Jeff) must be. Harry turns around. He cannot see anything, but hears somebody speaking. Judging from the sounds, Jeff and Stanley must be about 15-20 yards from him, hidden by the trees and the darkness.

But can Harry's mind deal with the fact that this force now controls the Trooper like a puppet?

---

Roll Sanity (0/1d3)!


Spoiler:
Jeff ducks behind an ancient tree. He can hear Stanley apologizing.

Spruce needles come raining down on Jeff's head. Somewhere above, the wind starts whistling.


Spoiler:
Jeff must still be somewhere near, as Stanley doesn't hear any footsteps.

The Hunter is gone from his head - and so is his enhanced vision... The forest around Stanley is once again dark, even darker than before. The void swallows his apologies.

Spruce needles come raining down on Stanley's head. Somewhere above, the wind starts whistling.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Image

Jeff doesn't know who he can trust anymore. Hearing the wind picking up again he starts painfully back toward the camp, figuring he needs to get to the radio and medical supplies if he's to survive until the morning rescue. He squints up at the sky trying to figure out how far dawn is off.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: MCR

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Image
Spoiler:
San 60-10%=54
Mister Ginge rolled 1d100:
18

Harry takes several deep breaths then heads quietly towards where he thinks the others are, finger firmly on the trigger of the shotgun.

'Keep it together Harry', he tells himself. 'You got this. Gonna make one hell of a safety report.'
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Spoiler:
Darkness reigns still. Jeff glances at his wristwatch - it's 3 o'clock. The sun will rise some time after 6 in the morning.


OOC:   Let's take some time off and wait for Mr. Handy's reply!  
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:21 am

Image

"I'm not carrying the shotgun any more!" calls Stanley. He lights his flashlight and points it downwards at himself so he can be seen, his hands still raised. "If you want to shoot me, I can't stop you, and frankly I deserve it! But I want to make up for what I've done!" He continues moving forward to where he had last seen Jeff.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

PreviousNext

Return to Sukakpak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest