Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley,Jeff notices Stanley, and changes route - tries to avoid the Trooper.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley hurries after Jeff, trying to close to within ten yards.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,Jeff tries to evade Stanley, but the Trooper follows him sideways into the forest, staying close, but not directly approaching.
Harry,Harry is alerted by the sound of movement in the forest. He doesn't see any figures, but hears Jeff (presumably talking to Stanley): [color=#0000BF]"Let's find Harry!"[/color]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Jeff increases his pace. "Harry! The trooper's gone mad!"
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

Momentarily confused, Harry grips his shotgun tightly.

"Don't let him near you!" he shouts. "Help is on it's way! I think I can hear a helicopter!"

This isn't the best bluff in the world, but it's the best he can manage. Keeping low, he tries to carry on circling away from Stanley and parallel to the camp.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The eerie silence is broken, and the forest is now filled with small sounds, shuffling all around, as if all inhabitants were at once woken by the Investigators' shouting. Yet, there are no animals or birds to be seen. There is also a strange, distant, choppy whirling sound. Maybe Harry is right about a helicopter closing in?
Stanley,But the Hunter knows that it is the sound of his Lord, the Voice, gathering strength for a final epiphany. He can hear the metallic drone in his head: [color=#0000FF][i]"What are you waiting for, Hunter? Kill for me, cull the Prey!"[/i][/color] But the grip of the Voice is weakening, reduced, forced back into suspended animation as a malevolent seed. Stanley's mind is split: [i]am I the Hunter or am I the Trooper?[/i] He feels that in this forest his only choice is to be the Hunter and serve, or face the Voice's wrath. Jeff is trying to run away, but he is still close. The darkness won't cover him, but rather there is a shimmering black halo surrounding Jeff, marking him against the silhouettes of the trees. The Hunter sees everything. --- Last turn of the bout of madness!
Jeff,Jeff increases his pace, and for a second catches a glimpse of a figure maybe a dozen yards away, in the direction where [b]Harry[/b] is supposed to be.
Harry,Harry proceeds with caution...
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff hurries toward the figure he thinks is Harry, glancing back over his shoulder...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,How close am I now? Can I try to resist?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley,15 yards. No resistance. Stanley is still in his bout of madness phase (for this last turn).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley fires at Jeff. Though the range is a little long, he still manages to wing him.
OOC,Firearms(Rifle/Shotgun) roll (45% skill) shooting at [b]Jeff[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to [b]Jeff[/b] from shotgun blast, medium range: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

In the forest, a weapon goes off with a thundering blast!
Jeff,[b]Jeff[/b] feels the shotgun pellets bore into his spine, but remains standing. The searing pain he feels proves that Jeff was right about the Trooper's murderous intent...
Stanley,The weapon goes off with a thundering blast. There's a rush of blood and otherworldly ether inside [b]Stanley[/b]'s tortured brain, and the nagging metallic Voice is gone. There is no sweet oblivion, however, no amnesia - the Trooper is painfully conscious of the recent events. He remembers what he's done, and he remembers the pleasure. Stalking through the forest in pursuit of his fellow Investigators was a perversely blissful act... The residue of this excitement still lingers in the labyrinth's of his cortex. And he also remembers the Voice being [i]very[/i] displeased with him.
Harry,[b]Harry[/b] hears the shot from behind, and the cry of a wounded person, but cannot see anybody from his standing point. Then he hears [b]Stanley[/b]'s voice, harsh and menacing: [color=#0000BF]"You are next, Harry boy!"[/color] The Trooper is very close... Maybe hiding behind one of the trees? --- Roll [b]Listen[/b]!
There is a prolonged echo after the shot, giving place to the rushing, rising, whirling sound of the wind.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Reeling, Jeff staggers behind the cover of an ancient spruce.
Last edited by Rooter on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Appalled at what he has done, Stanley drops the shotgun. He raises his hands high in the air and moves forward slowly. "I'm sorry!' he calls. "I wasn't in control, but I am now! Let me help you!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,There aren't many bushes in this coniferous forest - the lower zones are mostly covered in ferns or rotting tree trunks. Jeff takes cover behind an ancient spruce.
OOC,Waiting for Harry/Mister Ginge's action!
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller
Spoiler:
Listen 60-10%=54
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry stops still, trying to make sense of what he is hearing. Has Stanley shot Jeff?!?

He turns to face where he thinks Stanley might be, shotgun at the ready.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Harry,[i]"You are next, Harry boy"[/i] -- the words still echo inside Harry's mind, but he understands, that they weren't spoken by Stanley. Rather, they originate from the malign force that haunts the unknowable reaches of the forest and the mountain. This realization allows Harry to pinpoint the direction from where Stanley (and Jeff) must be. Harry turns around. He cannot see anything, but hears somebody speaking. Judging from the sounds, Jeff and Stanley must be about 15-20 yards from him, hidden by the trees and the darkness. But can Harry's mind deal with the fact that this force now controls the Trooper like a puppet? --- Roll [b][color=#FF0000]Sanity (0/1d3)[/color][/b]!
Jeff,Jeff ducks behind an ancient tree. He can hear [b]Stanley [/b]apologizing. Spruce needles come raining down on Jeff's head. Somewhere above, the wind starts whistling.
Stanley,Jeff must still be somewhere near, as Stanley doesn't hear any footsteps. The Hunter is gone from his head - and so is his enhanced vision... The forest around Stanley is once again dark, even darker than before. The void swallows his apologies. Spruce needles come raining down on Stanley's head. Somewhere above, the wind starts whistling.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff doesn't know who he can trust anymore. Hearing the wind picking up again he starts painfully back toward the camp, figuring he needs to get to the radio and medical supplies if he's to survive until the morning rescue. He squints up at the sky trying to figure out how far dawn is off.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Spoiler:
San 60-10%=54
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry takes several deep breaths then heads quietly towards where he thinks the others are, finger firmly on the trigger of the shotgun.

'Keep it together Harry', he tells himself. 'You got this. Gonna make one hell of a safety report.'
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,Darkness reigns still. Jeff glances at his wristwatch - it's 3 o'clock. The sun will rise some time after 6 in the morning.
OOC:   Let's take some time off and wait for Mr. Handy's reply!  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not carrying the shotgun any more!" calls Stanley. He lights his flashlight and points it downwards at himself so he can be seen, his hands still raised. "If you want to shoot me, I can't stop you, and frankly I deserve it! But I want to make up for what I've done!" He continues moving forward to where he had last seen Jeff.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Sukakpak”