Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Harry Miller

Harry fumbles with the pistol and hands it over. "We've got to stop him! Do something!"
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:30 am

Image

"You might as well fire the shotgun too," says Stanley as they exchange weapons. "Even without training, it's easier to hit with a long gun than with a handgun." Once the light is on his target, he squeezes off a shot and puts a bullet in Ravello.

Spoiler:
I don't think we've established what type of revolver I have, but I'd guess it would be a .38. Those do 1D10 damage and can be fired twice per round if you start with it ready, but since I didn't, I can only get one shot off this time.

Antal has my original shotgun, so he should have a chance to protect himself.

Firearms (Handgun) roll (70% skill) shooting at Ravello:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
49

Damage to Ravello from revolver:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d10:
2
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29296
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:14 am

The chiming abruptly stops, giving place to the roar of the quickening wind circling around the camp. Spruce needles and leaves go flying in the air, marking out a spiral gradually closing in on the investigators.

Stanley's shot tears into Ravello's flesh. The man lets out an inhuman growl, and charges into the tent. The flashlight reveals a gleaming knife in his hand.

At the same time, a shotgun goes off inside the tent - Antal has finally gathered his senses to defend himself.

Antal's roll, Shotgun 50%
evil_scientist rolled 1d100:
43

Damage
evil_scientist rolled 4d6:
4, 2, 1, 2


Ravello's charge is countered by the concentrated power of buckshot. The mad Surveyor is sent flying out of the tent and lands on the ground with a meaty thud, spraying blood everywhere.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Image
Spoiler:
Shotgun 25% - 10% = 22%
Mister Ginge rolled 1d100:
34

Harry gets a shot off but his inexperience shows.
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:11 pm

Image

"You got him!" Stanley calls to Antal. He turns to Harry. "Keep the light on him. I'm going to see if he's still alive." He ventures outside and makes his way over to Ravello, staying out of the line of fire, his revolver still in his hand.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29296
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Ravello is dead: his body was almost sawed in half by the shotgun blast. Inside his tent, Antal starts cursing and shouting: "I'm not safe with you still around get away from me get away go away now or I'll shoot!"

The whistling of the winds all around quickly amplifies into a roar.

Spoiler:
Harry sees that behind Stanley a whirlwind starts picking up leaves and dirt, towering over the Trooper, easily 15-20 feet tall or more. It moves, as if possessing its own will... The sight is magnificent and horrible at the same time!!

Roll SAN (1/1d3)!

Antal's shouting transforms into a babble, only the words "No, no, no, no, no!" are intelligible.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:41 am

Image

Stanley retreats back to the tent from which he came. "Yeah, Ravello's toast," he says. "We might want to get on the radio and let Anchorage know what happened."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29296
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 am

Image

"That means going outside in this storm to the equipment tent," Jeff points out. "Harry, when you get there, be sure to tell them to hurry up with the rescue."
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:03 am

Image

"Let them know there are now three dead bodies to bring back, not just one," adds Stanley, "and if they don't hurry, there's likely to be more."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29296
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:42 am

Harry Miller
Spoiler:
San = 60-10% = 54
Mister Ginge rolled 1d100:
29

Harry is shocked by what he has just seen, but is frankly relieved at the chance to get away from his colleagues. Shotgun in hand, he makes a dash for the equipment tent, hoping the damn radio still works.
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:04 am

The Investigators quickly gather around Kennedy's tent. As they regroup and assess the surroundings, something terrible emerges. Harry is the first to notice, then Jeff, and finally Stanley, when he turns around.

A whirlwind forms in the middle of the camp, towering over them all. Leaves, branches, loose pieces of equipment are sent flying, swirling around in the great cone of wind. A strange, sweet odor, like vanilla or cinnamon, fills the air. The howling is now a chorus of high-pitched screams laid over a steady rumbling. The unnatural phenomenon starts moving, as if possessing its own will, to intercept Harry on his way towards the equipment tent!

Stanley starts shaking... Is he having a fit?

Spoiler:
The rumble & screams of the wind resonate with Stanley on a primal subconscious level. He recognizes the evil vibrations of the Voice, trying to get back inside his mind, to finish what it started on the riverbank!

...HunterHunterdisappointmentmysonIcouldgiveyouthePowerdisappointmentHunterHunterHunterHunter... ...return to ME, Hunter, and you will be spared...

---

Make a POW roll against the voice!

The voice's roll:
evil_scientist rolled 1d100:
64



This is a regular success. If you roll a failure, roll SAN (1/1d3). If you roll a regular success, there is a stalemate. If you roll a hard or extreme success, Stanley overcomes the voice.


Spoiler:
Roll SAN (1/1d3) for witnessing this dark epiphany!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:05 am

Image

Spoiler:
SAN 56
Wruter rolled 1d100:
21

Jeff gasps then turns and runs for the cover of the trees.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:23 am

Image

Used to the voice's mental attacks, Stanley is easily able to overcome them.

Spoiler:
POW roll (50% stat) to resist:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
6
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29296
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 pm

Harry Miller

Harry sees the whirlwind and stops in his tracks. He's no fool or hero and turns tail, making a run back to the tent where Stanley is. "What the hell is that?!?"
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Spoiler:
Roll Luck!

The whirlwind stops for a moment, only to swing into motion once again. You hear Antal's scream as the furious winds come crashing down on his tent... The tarp, all the ropes, and everything that's inside is lifted into the air.

Spoiler:
roll Sanity (0/1)!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Spoiler:
Luck 50
Wruter rolled 1d100:
42
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 am

Image

Stanley has seen much worse than this, and he takes it in stride. "I think we now know what killed the guy we came to retrieve," he says.

Spoiler:
Sanity roll (current level 41) for seeing the tent destroyed:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
31
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29296
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Spoiler:
Jeff flees out of the camp and into the forest. He barely evades one of the pit traps dug by Stanley earlier... He hears the howling and screaming of the winds from the camp, but around him everything is completely silent and motionless. The smell of moist earth hangs in the air.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Image

Alone among the trees Jeff takes the flask of whiskey from his jacket pocket and takes a pull for courage, settling down to wait until the danger at the camp is passed. He tells himself he doesn't care if the others think he's chicken, the main thing is to survive this hellhole until rescue comes.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Harry Miller
Spoiler:
San 60-10%=54
Mister Ginge rolled 1d100:
28

Harry manages to keep his wits together. "We gotta do something! Let's try and distract it!"

He also wonders where that chicken Jeff has run off to.
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

PreviousNext

Return to Sukakpak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron