Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 am

Stanley Kramer finally comes to senses. He is heavily shaken by the ordeal. There is an almost aching absence, like a hole inside his head, where the Voice was before. Is it gone? He only hears a high-pitched tone ringing in his ears, like after an explosion... Reminds him of Vietnam.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:23 am

Image

"Damn," Jeff breathes. "Well, I guess we'd better haul our asses back to the camp and radio from there. But we can leave Bill's body stowed here inside the airplane so we don't have to carry it back, can't we?"
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Harry Miller

"I think we need to wait til Stanley is up to it," Harry says. "How you feeling big guy? What the hell happened there?"

Harry looks at Bill. 'Yep, he ain't going nowhere', he thinks to himself.
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:11 am

Image

Stanley manages to stand. "I don't think it's a good idea to leave him in the ruined plane," he says. "Animals would get at him. I can help carry him back. I'm starting to do better. There was this...weird sound on the radio. A voice. It was messing with my head. Thanks for getting me out of there."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29333
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:15 pm

"Bullshit," cries out Antal. "I don't trust you, Trooper man! You came to senses way too quickly. The Voices got to you!"


"He is not himself anymore, you should trust him either,"
he says, turning to Jeff and Harry.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Image

"He sounds a lot less crazy than you, buddy," Jeff replies. "Which voices?"
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:03 am

Image

"The voices tried," says Stanley, "but I'm tougher than you think. So you heard them too, huh?"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29333
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 pm

For a second it looks like Antal is about to launch into another one of his rants. But when he speaks up, he is quiet. "I did, yes. We all did... I think."

Maybe it's just one voice, but everywhere."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:28 am

Image

Stanley sighs. "Then I'm not going crazy," he says. "Or if I am, I'm not the only one who is. When I found the gravely injured fox, it begged me to kill it. I did so instinctively, only later realizing that foxes can't talk. That's when the voice started on me. It approved of what I had done, said I was one with nature, and told me to cull the herd. I heard it again on the radio, trying to worm its way into my mind. It wanted me to be a hunter, and it again said to cull the herd."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29333
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:24 am

Harry Miller

Harry looks nervously at Stanley.

OOC:   Did Harry manage to take any guns from Kramer while he was having his funny turn?  
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 am

OOC:   Yes. He had to put them down, though (to free his hands), when you were pulling out Stanley's body out of the cockpit. Harry can have the handgun somewhere in his pocket, if you wish. The shotgun is propped up against the wreckage, a few steps away.  
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Image

Jeff is beginning to wonder if he's the only sane person here. To distract himself he walks a little way around the wrecked airplane, scanning the ground for any indications of what may have caused the disaster.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Spoiler:
Roll Spot Hidden!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden = 45%
Wruter rolled 1d100:
44


Jeff isn't the best woodsman by a long shot but he notices something...
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:53 pm

It looks like a strange force, perhaps a whirlwind, picked up the airplane and smashed it. The concrete pillar was torn out of the ground, and lays several feet away from its original position. The ground is covered in debris - wreckage, branches, stones, chunks of soil. There are also shallow trenches, cut into the ground by the wings and other protruding parts of the airplane.

Spoiler:
As Jeff surveys the surroundings and the remains, suddenly everything comes together. He now sees that the debris and the trenches form an almost perfect double spiral, centered around the place where the pillar used to stand. The spiral's radius is about 15-20 feet, after that it becomes indiscernible.

Roll SAN (0/1)!

Image
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Wruter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Image

Spoiler:
Sanity 57
Wruter rolled 1d100:
96
Sanity reduced to 56

"Whoa, would you look at that," Jeff exclaims, pointing out the perfect spiral pattern of the destruction to the others.

Image
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:39 am

Image

"This is no accident," says Stanley. "This was done to trap us here. There's still the radio back at the camp, but someone other than me should be the one to use it."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29333
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mister Ginge » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am

Harry Miller

"Ok then, I say we head back to the camp. Get ourselves settled for the night. And hope the radio's still working.."

Harry covertly checks the handgun in his pocket. "You ok carrying the shotgun Stanley? Or should I take it?"
User avatar
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
Location: Ulthar

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 am

Image

"No, I'm good," says Stanley, holding out his hand for the shotgun. He does not appear to have noticed the absence of his pistol yet.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29333
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Postby evil_scientist » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:05 pm

"Are you out of your mind?!" Antal shouts. "Giving a friggin' shotgun to this madman? Haven't you heard how he is supposed to be the Hunter or some shit and cull the herd? We are the herd, man, you and me, and he's going to kill us the first chance he gets!"

He steps forward and tries to take the shotgun (which is now propped up against the airplane wreck).
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Sukakpak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest