Page 1 of 1

Chapter 4: The Mountain

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:22 am
by HoneyDog
As the evening draws in, the companions shift uncomfortably in their hiding place. Perhaps they wonder why they have ended up spending a summer’s evening crouching in the trees surrounding a drunkard’s shabby cottage. Both Henry and Alice are particularly quiet.

At around 5.30pm a loud groaning sound alerts them to the fact that Rooger is waking up. He abruptly sits up, letting out a loud belch which threatens to shake the branches of the surrounding foliage. Muttering and rubbing his face, he gets to his feet and enters the cottage.

Dusk falls at around 6pm. Not long after, in the light of the dying sun, the investigators notice a speck in the sky. Coming closer, it is obviously too big to be a bird. Its flight is ungainly and erratic, although it has very big wings.

As it draws closer, the companions recoil in horror, for this is no creature that they have ever seen before. It resembles a crustacean, but as it comes in to make a landing they can see it is a pinkish colour, with about eight limbs ending in pincers, one of which clasps a strange-looking metal instrument of some kind. Where they assume its head to be is a mass of antenna. As it lands it stands on its back legs, and moves slowly towards the cottage.
in_flight.jpg
OOC,Everyone please roll SAN. If you fail, roll 1d6 for SAN loss.

Re: Chapter 4: The Mountain

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:51 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Sanity 64

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora is shocked, but also fascinated by the appearance of the Thing. Intuitively she takes out her little notebook and starts sketching the creature...

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice stares at the bizarre creature, unable to tear her gaze away. She presses the back of her hand to her forehead, and it takes every ounce of will not to scream or faint. In the end, she only clings to her senses because she doesn't truly understand what is happening.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 67) for seeing the creature: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice] Idea roll (65% stat) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:32 am
by andyw666
SAN Roll,[b]Balzac's[/b] SAN is 58 and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
SAN Loss,[dice]1[/dice]
Idea Roll,[b]Balzac's[/b] Idea is 70% and he rolls... [dice]2[/dice]
Balzac stares horrified at this contradiction to everything he knows about Biology, then leans to the side and vomits behind a shrub, shaking uncontrollably. His only saving grace is his brain's refusal to interpret what he is seeing. And that his suit is green.
OOC,And the slow descent into insanity continues for poor Balzac. Come hither morphine and electro-shock therapy...

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:28 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry Glynn
SAN,Henry's SAN 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/532785]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]82[/b] Sanity loss 1d6: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/532787]SAN damage[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]6[/b] Idea 70: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/532788]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]94[/b]
As the pink monstrosity comes into view Henry’s bowels clench in terror. He had supposed another backwoods hick would be showing up, but this… this is too awful to be real. He wants to scratch out his own eyes, until he realizes that the approaching creature looks something like an obscene prawn.

He sits down in the mud and covers his eyes with his hands.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:58 pm
by HoneyDog
As the creature approaches Rooger’s cottage it calls out. Its voice is completely unlike any sound the companions have heard before – it is something like a beehive being scraped across a violin string. It buzzes horribly, like a fly is stuck in your ear.

“Rooger! Rooger!”

The heroes can make out the name as they stand transfixed by the awful scene. To their amazement, Rooger wanders out of the cottage, jar once again in hand. He is completely unfazed by the creature – indeed, he looks pleased to see it.

“Howdy!” he says enthusiastically. “I was hoping you’d come by. Some folks was up here asking about m’ frens.”

The creature cannot react in the normal human way, but makes a shrill buzzing noise.

“We will suffer no more outside interference Rooger!”
There seems to be some urgency in its voice. “Are they gone?”

“Reckon so” comes the reply. “Can’t see ‘em, anyhows.”

The creature seems to let out what sounds like a sigh. “You must join us tonight. We are close to a breakthrough. Ithaqua will soon awake, and we have need of you. Come!” The commanding tone in its voice is obvious.

“Sure” says Rooger amiably. “I’ll just get dressed for the mountain”.

He turns away, but then suddenly turns back.

“Hey, I never got your name!” he exclaims.

The creature emits a indecipherable buzzing and whistling.

“Buzzzz…buzz…weee”. Rooger attempts a translation. “That sure is a purty name.” He takes a drink, then goes back inside. The creature, with an obvious effort, lifts itself up into the sky, and disappears back in the direction of the mountain.

A short time later, Rooger exits the cottage. He is wearing a heavy quilted jacket, gloves and a fur hat. He heads off down the mountain trail.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd better follow him discreetly," says Alice. "He can't move all that fast, so there'd be time to grab that shotgun of his and still catch up with him. We know there's only one direction for him to go, at least. I just wish we were dressed warmer."

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:02 am
by andyw666
Balzac shudders but slings the rifle over his shoulder and hefts the double barrelled 12-gauge.

"Let me know if any of you want one of these weapons. I agree, let us follow at a distance."

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:42 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora helps Henry stand up from the mud. "Please, get up, it's terribly cold..."

"This... creature, it must be something like that thing Professor Putnam and his Brotherhood called up from a dark, incomprehensible dimension,"
she tries to make sense of things, referencing their previous investigation. "But still, so very different. And there is more of them, clearly, and they are more free, and they have a mission!"

Isadora stops speaking. Speaking out loud just makes things even worse.

"Let's follow him, but very carefully. We must not be noticed!"

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:17 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,So you'll head up the mountain in pursuit. Apart from Rooger's shotgun, is there anything else from your earlier search of the cottage which you could use?

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:26 pm
by evil_scientist
Mr. Handy wrote:"We'd better follow him discreetly," says Alice. "He can't move all that fast, so there'd be time to grab that shotgun of his and still catch up with him. We know there's only one direction for him to go, at least. I just wish we were dressed warmer."
"There's plenty of clothing in the house, maybe we can borrow some... just for the time being."

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good idea," says Alice. "It's bound to be cold on the mountain. I guess I could carry a shotgun. I've never fired a gun before in my life, but it's easier to hit something with one than with another type of gun, as long as it's close."

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:43 am
by HoneyDog
Luckily Rooger has enough warm clothing to go around – the winters are cold in Vermont. It smells a little musty and is a bit large for the ladies, but they are able to get suitably attired. At the moment the evening is still fairly cool, but they will undoubtedly work up a sweat before they get to higher latitudes.

Alice swings Rooger’s shotgun over her shoulder and pockets spare shells.
OOC,Is there anything else you found that you might want to take? Have a look at my hint in the OOC thread.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:37 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,If no-one can think of anything, try rolling Idea about Rooger's booze.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Should we bring the crate of moonshine?" asks Alice. "It would be rather flammable, if it came to it."
OOC,Idea roll (65% stat) about the booze: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:35 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No need to roll Mr. H! You're the man to go to in a riot.
Alice supervises the collection of Rooger's crate of moonshine, the contents of which are distributed amongst the companions. Suitably equipped with bomb materials, guns and ammunition, and warm clothing, with some leftover food and drink, they set off along the mountain path.

As they found previously, the path is very easy to navigate, even when it starts to climb towards the mountain summit. Further along the path, they can sometimes see the flash of Rooger’s torch. He moves at a steady pace, and is likely to leave them behind, being familiar with the route, but there is only one direction in which he can go.

The heroes are glad of the warm clothes as the temperature steadily drops as they climb higher. Indeed, it seems a little unnaturally cold for this time of year. About two hours after beginning the climb, they are really starting to feel the effects as the temperature falls even more. They shiver and huddle together.
OOC,Everyone needs to roll CON x5. If you fail, you lose a hit point.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice shivers from the cold. In spite of the warm clothes and her natural toughness, it's getting to her.
OOC,CON x 5 roll (65% stat) climbing the mountain: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:00 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Constitution 9 x 5 = 45%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora shivers too...

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:53 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Henry CON 14 x 5 70: Constitution: 1d100 97
Balzac CON 12 x 5 60: Constitution: 1d100 4

Henry, Isadora and Alice all lose 1 Hitpoint  
The cold is bitter and numbing, but the companions press on, especially now that they can observe a fire a burning further up the mountain. They estimate it would take about thirty minutes to reach the area.

They begin to move more cautiously.
OOC,All must roll Sneak.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:03 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice is certain that the sound of her teeth chattering carries all the way up the mountain.
OOC,Sneak roll (10% base skill) climbing the mountain: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:43 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Sneak 27%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora's overcoat keeps getting caught on the branches, and she makes a lot of noise...

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:55 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Henry Sneak 10: Sneak: 1d100 29
Balzac Sneak 10: Sneak: 1d100 35  
Despite their attempted caution, the companions’ unfamiliarity with the terrain, and the cold and dark, prevent them from moving silently enough. They attract the attention of a watcher from above.

The sound of swooping wings draws their eyes upwards, in time to see the hideous creature from their earlier encounter. It is brandishing the mysterious piece of metal, which is aimed at the group. From its tip suddenly issues a mist, which rolls towards them, threatening to engulf them.
OOC,Mysterious Creature's Mist Weapon 70: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/533783]Mist Projector[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]40[/b] Everyone can roll Dodge, or be engulfed by the mist.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:44 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Dodge Dex x 2 = 26%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice leaps aside at the last possible second, barely avoiding the mist.
OOC,Dodge roll (22% base skill) to avoid the mist: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:24 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Dodge[/i] is 31% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Nope. The cold has dulled Balzac's reflexes and the rusty old rugby skills have let him down.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:52 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry is suddenly shaken into action.
Spoiler:
Henry Dodge 18 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I want to maximize your chances of survival here, so I’ll lessen the effect of the creature’s attack. [b]Isadora’s[/b] roll was so close so let’s give her the benefit of the doubt.[b] Balzac [/b]and [b]Henry[/b] will take damage though – both need to roll 1d3, and then subtract 1 point damage as you’re wearing thick clothing. [b]Alice[/b] has a shotgun, but I don’t think [b]Isadora[/b] is carrying a weapon? All of you have the bottles of moonshine but I’m assuming you haven’t yet fashioned them into bombs? Or did you? That would take a little time, so [b]Isadora[/b] would miss this combat round. If you’ve made your bombs then she can use with Throw. Alternatively she can make a grab for a fallen weapon – roll Dex x4. [b]Alice [/b]is free to open fire if she wishes. The creature will need to land in order to use it’s weapon properly so next we’ll conduct a normal combat round, highest Dex goes first. But unfortunately that means the monster! It will only aim at one person, but the mist spreads!
Alice manages to dive away from the spreading mist, while Isadora luckily only catches the tail end of it, which chills her to the bone. But Henry and Balzac are both in the middle of it, and are overcome by a numbing sensation of utter cold. Luckily for them, the creature was swooping as it fired it’s weapon, and much of the spread of the mist went above them.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:42 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Damage[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Damage 2 Correction 1 - thanks ES  

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice rises up on one knee and unslings the shotgun from her shoulder. Taking aim at the creature, she squeezes the trigger and is amazed that she manages to hit it squarely.
OOC,Shotgun roll (30% base skill) shooting at the creature: [dice]0[/dice] I'm not sure what range I'm at, which determines what I roll for damage.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:23 am
by andyw666
Damage,[dice]0[/dice] [b]Balzac[/b] takes 1 HP
Shotgun,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Shotgun[/i] is 30% and he fires both barrels... [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice]
Uttering vile oaths in French, Balzac raises his shotgun and unloads both barrels.
OOC,If the beastie was 13 feet or closer, and the point blank rule applies, the first shot would be a hit too.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:08 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The creature is fairly close, so you can both roll 1d6 for damage. I believe that the second shot from a double-barrelled needs to be rolled at half DEX. Please feel free to correct me - I'm still new to this stuff.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:12 am
by andyw666
OOC,I believe the rule is both barrels can be fired at DEX or the character can choose to fire one at DEX and one at half DEX. Balzac chooses to fire both together. Feel free to correct me if I've got this wrong.
Damage,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:18 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Would firing both together though mean that you only get one Shotgun roll?

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:23 am
by andyw666
OOC,Not sure. My RW experience with Cthulhu was the original rules and we played it the way I described earlier. However, if CoC 6th Ed intention is that you only get one roll if you fire both barrels simultaneously, please assume Balzac fires them at DEX and half DEX for two attacks.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 am
by evil_scientist
Shotgun rules,in the 6e book, the rule is on page 63. There are options: "A double-barreled shotgun may fire both barrels simultaneously at DEX in one round, one barrel at DEX and at half DEX in the same round, or one barrel each in different rounds"
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora feels defenseless... She avoided the freezing fog, but only by sheer luck.

"We need to spread out, it cannot get everybody with one shot," she shouts to the others over the shotgun blasts.

If possible, she tries to retreat a bit, and begin assembling a moonshine firebomb.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:51 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I think then as Balzac fired both barrels at once, we have to take the first of the rolls; hence it is a miss. It would be understandable seeing that Balzac just got a good freezing. Alice was on target though, and perhaps Henry will be too. Is this acceptable?

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 pm
by innsmouth
OOC:   Does Henry have one of the shotguns? I don't remember specifically saying he had one. If not he looks around for a large branch to swing at the creature.  

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:54 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Balzac had brought along a .30 lever action rifle. He has the shotgun, Alice has Rooger's shotgun, so we could assume Henry has the rifle.  

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Damage from first shell: [dice]0[/dice] With a double-barreled shotgun, you only roll Shotgun once if you fire both barrels simultaneously. If you fire one and then the other, you roll separately, but the second one goes at 1/2 DEX in the firearms portion of the round. I'm not sure whether the shotgun I picked up has a single or double barrel. I hadn't even thought of it at the time. If it is double-barreled, could I have fired both barrels as well?

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:15 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Thanks for the clarification Mr. H. Yes you have a double-barrel too, so you can fire it again. If you fired both barrels at once, I assume it would do more damage? Therefore, should the damage bonus be increased? I have to check the rules more thoroughly, but I can't see how that works.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Henry Rifle at creature 25 [dice]0[/dice]
Henry grips the rifle with frozen fingers and fires a wild shot into a tree.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,When firing both barrels at the same time, which like [b]Balzac[/b] is what I'd have done, you just roll damage for both shells if you hit. In this case, it's another 1d6: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:23 am
by HoneyDog
Mr. Handy,So that's a total of 7 damage for the monster?

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, that's right.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:28 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Thanks! There might be more shotgunning...
As Alice’s shotgun pellets smash into it, the creature buzzes in anger. Several of its limbs are torn away, and a gaping hole appears in its side. It settles unsteadily on the frozen ground, and points its mist weapon again, this time at Alice.
OOC,Mysterious Creature's Mist Weapon 60: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/534563]Mysterious Creature's Mist Weapon[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]91[/b]
Luckily, its aim is too unsteady and the mist shoots away from her and the others.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:42 am
by andyw666
OOC:   Are we up to the next round now? If so, anyone with a loaded firearm (ie. not the shotties) will go before Balzac. The Winchester rifle holds 6 shells BTW, less the 1 already fired leaves 5.  
OOC:   Roughly how far in yards is the bug beastie from our heroes?  

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:53 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Yes, the beast fired and missed. Balzac also has his revolver? So he can fire with that or reload. The beast is about 16 yards.  

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:04 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Henry grips the rifle with his cold hands and fires again. His shot is closer this time but still misses the target.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice scrambles for cover while reloading, hoping to get a shot off at the creature before it can fire again.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 am
by andyw666
Balzac drops the shotgun and takes two strides towards the creature, drawing his Colt Detective Special and firing off a quick shot.
OOC,[i]Handgun[/i] skill of 30% at base range and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC,He only gets one shot this round as he had to draw the weapon.
Unfortunately, the snap-shot goes wide. "Merde!"

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:11 am
by evil_scientist
evil_scientist wrote:
Shotgun rules,in the 6e book, the rule is on page 63. There are options: "A double-barreled shotgun may fire both barrels simultaneously at DEX in one round, one barrel at DEX and at half DEX in the same round, or one barrel each in different rounds"
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora feels defenseless... She avoided the freezing fog, but only by sheer luck.

"We need to spread out, it cannot get everybody with one shot," she shouts to the others over the shotgun blasts.

If possible, she tries to retreat a bit, and begin assembling a moonshine firebomb.
OOC:   Any follow up on the moonshine firebomb?  

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Isadora had a round to assemble her bomb. Assuming she has something to light it with, she can use it now, rolling Throw.  

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:38 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora calls out to Henry for matches, who reaches into his pocket and then throws them to Isadora.
Henry,Roll Throw
Meanwhile, the pinkish abomination, buzzing madly, has turned its attentions to Balzac.
OOC,Mysterious Creature's Mist Weapon 60: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/534974]Mysterious Creature's Mist Weapon[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]42[/b]
It fires its weapon, and this time is more accurate. This mist roils towards Balzac.
Balzac,Roll to Dodge.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:27 am
by andyw666
Dodge,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Dodge[/i] is 31% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Nope, the old rugby skills fail him again...

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:32 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac is unable to get away, and is engulfed by the freezing mist.
Balzac,You'll have to roll 1d10 for freezing damage. You can subtract 1 point from the damage as you're wearing warm clothing.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:18 pm
by andyw666
Damage,[dice]0[/dice] 2 HP damage.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:40 pm
by andyw666
Balzac curses in French and takes another couple of strides towards the beastie, firing another shot.
Handgun,30% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:58 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry throws his matches in Isadora's direction.
Spoiler:
Henry Throw 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:11 am
by andyw666
OOC:   Balzac gets a second shot this round but I'll wait till the other PCs are done before taking it.  

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:58 am
by HoneyDog
Henry throws the matches wide of Isadora and she is forced to scramble to the ground to get them.
OOC,Alice and Henry can still shoot.

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:24 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:15 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice fires another blast, but it goes wide.
OOC,Shotgun roll (30% base skill) shooting at the creature with the first barrel: [dice]0[/dice] Do I only get to fire once this round? I believe you can reload both barrels if you don't fire in a given round, or you can load one shell and fire it later in the same round. If I do get to reload both and still fire, I'd like to fire the second barrel separately.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:15 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I think it's fair that you have another shell loaded, but yours is the last turn before the monster fires again. Go ahead and try and shoot him again.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice fires her second barrel an instant before the creature was about to fire its own bizarre weapon. This one strikes home with an impressive impact.
OOC,Shotgun roll (30% base skill) shooting at the creature with the second barrel: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to creature: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:26 am
by HoneyDog
Alice’s shot destroys what an observer would consider the creature’s head to be. As it flies apart, the angry buzzing ceases and the creature collapses in a heap, gooey ichor oozing from its wounds.

The companions stand, open-mouthed in shock at the combat they have just participated in.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice's jaw drops open. The first thing she does is go over to help Dr. Balzac, who was injured by the strange weapon. "Would you believe I've never fired a gun before in my life?" she says in wonder. "I'm a regular Annie Oakley!"

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:22 am
by andyw666
Balzac shakes from adrenalin and frost-bite. "Mon Dieu." He half whispers. Then, "Vite! Reload, there may be more."

He races back to his dropped shotgun and breaks it open to reload, before replacing the spent rounds in his revolver.
OOC:   As soon as he's reloaded both weapons, he'll attempt to first aid himself.  

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:55 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora now stands trembling, with an unlit firebomb in one hand, and a box of matches in the other.

Overtaken by curiosity, she walks over to the abomination and examines it. She cautiously touches the weird weapon with her feet, and tries to pull it away from the body.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:57 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry drops the rifle and tries to warm his hands.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:22 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Isadora (and anyone else) can roll Idea in order to figure out how to use the weapon.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:24 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Idea 70%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora is mesmerized by the gleam of the weird, deadly, alien technology. She puts the matches in her pocket, and picks up the weapon...

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:32 am
by HoneyDog
The weapon resembles a piece of metal driftwood, unlike any kind of human weapon. If she hadn't seen it in action, Isadora wouldn't even know one end of it from the other. But she can fit it over her forearm, and there seems to be a switch to depress. The weapon is fairly light, and has a strange, slightly greasy feel.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:35 pm
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Medicine[/i] is 87% and for self first aid he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
First Aid,[dice]1[/dice] But I assume Balzac can't heal up more than the 2 he lost in one attack.
Balzac swiftly treats his own injuries then beckons Henry over to treat him too.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:58 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,No, he's still down one from the overall cold of the mountain. Still, he's feeling better than before.
As the companions take stock of their situation, and treat their wounds, they see another fire bloom further up the mountain, not too far where the other is still burning. The cold is still intense.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice reloads her shotgun. "Let's get the moonshine bombs ready for use as we walk," she says. "We may need them when we get there." She glances at the strange contraption, but she can't make hide nor hair of it.
OOC,Idea roll (65% stat) about the weapon: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:56 am
by andyw666
Balzac quickly treats Henry's frost-bite injury from the big insect-thing's first blast.
Medicine,87% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I'm not sure if the initial attack's damage can be first aided or not, but if it can, Henry would get back his lost HP from the critter's first zap at the team.  

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 am
by andyw666
Once done with Henry, Balzac warily approaches the critter, squats down and examines it closely, trying to make head or tail of it.
OOC,Is there any roll Balzac could make that would let him make any conclusions about the thing?

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:54 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Yes, Henry can be treated from the first attack, but not from the general cold. Balzac can roll Biology or Natural History to examine the monstrosity.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:22 am
by andyw666
Balzac pulls out the magnifying glass, notebook and pencil, and examines the beastie.
OOC,[i]Biology[/i] of 76% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Unfortunately, he deduces little.
OOC:   Wow, the Eldritch Dice Gods hate us in this scenario. Oh well.  

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 am
by HoneyDog
Unfortunately, the conditions are too primitive to make any determinations about exactly what he is looking at. Balzac will need a proper laboratory, not this freezing hillside.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:42 pm
by andyw666
Balzac stands up with a crackling of vertebrae and sighs in Gallic fashion. "Mysterious but I cannot tell anything without a laboratory. Shall we continue to the flames or retreat? For myself, I am curious.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"We must go on," says Alice. "We can't turn back now, not after what we've already seen." She peers at the creature's remains. Though it is alien, something about it seems familiar.
OOC,Natural History roll (10% base skill) about the creature: [dice]0[/dice] They don't hate all of us. They''re positively head over heels for [b]Alice[/b]! :o

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:34 am
by HoneyDog
Alice,[b]Alice [/b]can see nothing which resembles the organs you would find in a mammal, fish or any other creature typically found on Earth. The monstrosity looks almost fibrous. In fact, it could it be more like a plant – a mushroom, or a fungus.
The companions gather their belongings, but take a moment to prepare their home-made explosives. Each now has some matches or a lighter to use.
OOC,I've been assuming your characters know how to make a Molotov cocktail, but perhaps I should actually make you roll [b]Know [/b]or [b]Idea[/b] for it, unless your character can give me a suitable explanation of how they would know.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:19 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"We must go on. Hodges is evidently in a great deal of trouble."

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:30 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,I've been assuming your characters know how to make a Molotov cocktail, but perhaps I should actually make you roll [b]Know [/b]or [b]Idea[/b] for it, unless your character can give me a suitable explanation of how they would know.
OOC,That's fair! [b]Idea 70[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora now stands with two objects: a firebomb and an alien death ray... She comes to her senses after the battle, and realizes, that she doesn't understand how was she able to make a proper firebomb - but stress does that to you.

"I think I will be able to use this against them," she says, lifting the plundered silver "gun". "Just don't stand too close to me, if it comes to that."

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:41 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"If George could see you now..."

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:50 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Oh my god... George... Please, don't tell him... I mean, we will tell him, but..."

Isadora gulps.

"He was right, about me getting into danger. But Mr. Hodges is in even deeper trouble! We must save him!"

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:15 pm
by HoneyDog
The heroes continue their journey up the mountain, determined to solve the mystery. Still they struggle with the freezing cold – what could be causing such unnatural weather?

After about thirty minutes, they are able to view the summit. Luckily, the nearest fire is nearby, and they will not need to climb that far. Approaching cautiously, weapons ready, they spot a barren spur which is lit by the flames of the fire. The view from here is very clear; they can see north and east, and down below the lights of Jenning can be seen glowing in the darkness, the residents no doubt disturbed by the latest fiery phenomena.

They can see what looks like a small level area, containing a ring of irregularly spaced stones, each one roughly three feet in diameter. It is very cold here, and everything is covered by a layer of frost. Luckily, some heat is given off by the nearby fire, and its light blinds the inhabitant of the clearing as to their presence. That inhabitant is none other than Harny Rooger. Incredibly, as they watch, he reaches into his pocket and takes out a flask, from which he drinks.

Just then, a horrifying event occurs. No less than six of the fungus creatures swoops out of the sky and lands around the stones. Rooger is unmoved, but the sight may prove too much for the companions. Each creature looks identical, but they can notice differences in size. All carry the mist weapon, and some are clad in dripping slime. They buzz furiously, an awful sound which sets the teeth on edge.
OOC,All must roll for SAN I'm afraid. The sight of so many of these things means you need to roll 1d6 for SAN loss if you fail.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:19 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Sanity 64
[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora suppresses an audible gasp...

"Let's stay hidden..." she whispers to the others, and takes place behind a tree, if possible.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:51 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Henry SAN 64 [dice]0[/dice]
"So many of them! Can we fight them all?" whispers Henry

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice is no longer so afraid of these creatures, having already slain one. "Let's hope we don't have to," she whispers. "One was bad enough. We should just stay hidden and watch."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 62) for seeing the creatures: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 pm
by andyw666
OOC,SAN 53 and [b]Balzac[/b] rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Balzac absently crosses himself but remains otherwise in control for a change.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
Rooger watches absently as the creatures buzz around him. This is obviously a familiar sight to him.

Suddenly the creatures’ discussion ends, and two of them flap their wings and fly off into the night. The remaining four gather around the stones with Rooger, and one of them begins to speak.

“There are intruders on the mountain, we heard shots fired. One of us is missing and will be searched for.”

“That must be those folks who came to see me” says Rooger. He sounds mystified. “But why would they be shooting at you good fellas? They seemed like nice people”.

“We cannot stand any interference Rooger! says the lead creature. “You should have made them leave. Your failure has put the ceremony in jeopardy!” Its buzzing rises in anger. Rooger looks shamefaced.

“But we must continue. We have need of you again, your special mind is essential to our success. Tonight, perhaps we will finally achieve our goal. Join us!”

Rooger looks pleased at the praise. “A’hm glad ah cun help you fellas. You all bin real nice to me”.

The creatures and Rooger stand in a circle among the stones, all facing inward. The leader and another creature begin to lead the chant, which is in a language completely unfamiliar to our heroes. Meanwhile the others, including Rooger, chant responses. As they buzz and sway, a blue-white flame flickers into life in the middle of the stone circle. A blast of icy air is emanating from it, and the companions can see a sudden growth of frost on the stones around it.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:43 am
by andyw666
Balzac gestures to the others that they could throw a Molotov cocktail into the blue flame, or possibly one into the blue flame followed by another into the 'regular' fire. He make a rather Gallic 'how about it' gesture to the rest of the team.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice nods, having been thinking along the same lines. She readies two firebombs, gesturing for the others to do the same before they start lighting and throwing them.
OOC,How close are they to the fires?

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:02 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The nearest fire is about 15 meters.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:33 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,15 meters is 16 yards, right? Throwing range is "three yards for each STR point exceeding the object's SIZ". I take the firebomb is SIZ 1. Isadora has STR 7, so she can throw 6 x 3 = 18 yards.
Isadora agrees to the plan and prepares her firebomb. She tries her best to synchronize her throw with Alice and the rest of the team...

Throw 25%
[dice]0[/dice]

At least she will create some sort of distraction...

After her throw, no matter what happens, she arms the alien weapon.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:44 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,It might be better to wait for innsmouth in case he vetoes the molotov cocktail plan. If he's okay with it, where were you aiming your attack evil_scientist?

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:03 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,Okay! Isadora is aiming for the closest fire (a regular non-blue one, I presume).

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:51 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,What I had meant was how close are the creatures (and [b]Rooger[/b]) to the fires? I'll wait for Innsmouth before I roll Throw.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:03 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The nearest creature is about 10 meters, with its back to the fire. Rooger is on the other side.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:59 am
by andyw666
OOC:   Just holding on Henry before proceeding. Balzac will prioritise blue flame if not yet hit, then normal fire if not yet hit, then any given fungus-bee.  

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:51 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"We can't fight them - only disrupt them - so get ready to run - and don't stop running ..."

Henry readys two cocktails and will fling them at the two chanting creatures if he thinks he can hit without endangering Rooger.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice hurls her first firebomb into the normal fire nearest to the creatures for all she's worth, hoping Rooger won't be caught in the blast.
OOC,Throw roll (25% base skill) throwing a firebomb at the normal fire closest to the creatures: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:12 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,So Alice is aiming for the fire which she'll hit, what will the others aim at? Please choose your targets. evil_scientist has already rolled.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:51 am
by andyw666
Balzac puts his rusty rugby skills to the test and aims for the weird blue flame.
OOC,[i]Throw[/i] skill of 40% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac,Roll luck

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:09 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

At the leader or the second chanting creature if Rooger is very near the leader.
Spoiler:
Henry Throw 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:20 am
by andyw666
Luck,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Luck[/i] is 65% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:16 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry,Roll Luck. Sorry I realize I should have asked earlier.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:20 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Luck 65 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:53 pm
by HoneyDog
While Isadora's bomb sails harmlessly over the fire to crash on the other side, Alice's lands directly in it, causing it to flare and burn more intensely.

Unfortunately, Balzac's bomb slips out of his numb fingers and rolls down the slope, causing the undergrowth behind them to burst into flames, clearly silhouetting them to the startled creatures.

Luckily, although he was aiming for the second chanter, Henry's bottle strikes the leader. It is engulfed in flame, buzzing furiously. The other creatures rush to its aid.

Rooger is shocked and furious. He runs towards the companions, gesticulating wildly.

The blue flame flickers more weakly now. It grows smaller and disappears.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice readies her second firebomb, relieved that Rooger wasn't harmed. "Now, while the creatures are all close together," she hisses.
OOC,Can we act again?

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:15 am
by HoneyDog
Assisted by it's fellows, the leader seems to be recovering. Seeing Rooger rushing towards the heroes, it calls out to him urgently."Rooger! Stop! You cannot risk yourself! You are too important!"

At this command, Rooger stops, looking back uncertainly.
OOC,You can still attack as they are disorganized. It's not the only option though!"

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:21 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is surprised to hear these creatures almost pleading Rooger to come back to them. Maybe they need a human mind for their ritual? Maybe... something even worse?

"Rooger! Don't go back to them, they want to sacrifice you!" she cries out.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:21 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"What have you done with Bartley Hodges?" demands Henry.

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're not going to hurt you, Mr. Rooger," says Alice in a soothing tone. "Are those your friends back there? You mustn't go back to them. They're only using you. We came up here looking for Mr. Hodges, and one of them attacked and hurt us for no good reason."

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:31 am
by HoneyDog
Rooger looks at the investigators again.

"Hodges shouldn't have come up here" he says firmly. "My friends say ain't nobody allowed !"

He is positioned between the companions and the monsters. One of them raises it's mist weapon as if to fire, but the leader buzzes angrily, and the weapon is lowered.

The leader, looking blackened and scorched, now buzzes at Rooger.

"Don't listen to them! We are your friends. Who helped create your wonderful garden?If we were to sacrifice you, we would have done so nights ago! We need your help! Ithaqua cannot be called without you! It is your destiny!"

This convinces Rooger, and he turns back towards the creatures.

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:55 am
by andyw666
Balzac looks anguished, torn between stopping the creatures and whatever they are up to, and saving Rooger. Spurred on by fear, adrenalin, cold and smelly uncomfortable clothing, he strides forward, raises his shotgun and fires the first barrel at Rooger. "I pray it just wounds him."
Attack,[i]Shotgun[/i] of 30% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Miss unless we're at point blank range  
OOC:   For absolute clarity, Balzac will shoot his second barrel at half DEX this time but I'll wait while the other PCs take their actions before I roll for second attack.  

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:44 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Balzac can roll Luck- he might hit something behind Rooger. Alice has another bomb and can attack with that. Henry has his rifle or a firebomb, Isadora only has a firebomb.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice lights her second bomb and hurls it in a high overhead arc so that it soars past Rooger to try to hit the creatures without harming him, but she is less accurate this time.
OOC,Throw roll (25% base skill) throwing the second firebomb at the creatures: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:14 am
by andyw666
Luck,65% and Balzac rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice thinks of something.
OOC,Idea roll (65% stat) on the mountain: [dice]0[/dice] I know I saw a post saying everyone may roll Idea, but it seems to be gone now.

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:01 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Yes, I removed it after having second thoughts. I don't want to make it too easy for you. At the moment you're attacking, but please consider the possibility of other strategies. Can Alice or anyone think of anything else you could do? Fighting the creatures and all of you surviving will not be easy.

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Come back, Mr. Rooger!" calls Alice. "Your friends only want you to do something for them that they can't do themselves, and they'll get rid of you once you've done it!"
OOC,Fast Talk roll (60% skill) to get [b]Rooger[/b] to come back: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Please!" begs Alice. "One of them attacked us as we were coming up the mountain and tried to kill us. Nobody even told us not to come up here, it just used its weapon on us without warning! The only reason they don't kill us now is that they don't want to kill you too until after you've done what they want you to do. If you go back to them, they'll murder us. I know you're a good man, Mr. Rooger. You don't want us to die. All we wanted to do was find Mr. Hodges."
OOC,Persuade roll (65% skill) to get [b]Rooger[/b] to come back: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:57 am
by HoneyDog
Frozen in place by the earlier violence, Rooger turns his head, listening intently to Alice, and hearing the sincerity in her voice. The mention of Hodges has an effect, and he turns back to face the monstrous leader.

“What did happen to Mr. Hodges? You told me you sent him away, but no-one’s heard o’ him since.”

“Unfortunately he had an accident on the way back down the mountain” buzzes the leader. “It was very tragic.”
OOC,The leader has POWx5 to convince Rooger: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/538566]Power[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]26[/b]
Rooger looks surprised. "Gosh, that's awful" he says.
OOC,You'll have to keep rolling to persuade or fast talk him, but he's listening now.

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:05 am
by andyw666
Balzac calls out earnestly. "M. Rooger, the first one of these creatures we saw immediately tried to kill us. I can show you my frost bite from its weapon. We are here to rescue you and stop them, that is all. Please, at least come back with us to your cottage, and explain to us what is going on."
OOC,Persuade of 55% and he rolls [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:29 pm
by HoneyDog
Rooger hesitates again at Balzac’s words.

“Is it true?” he asks the Leader. “Did one of youse attack these folks?”

“No!” the Leader buzzes emphatically. “They attacked one of ours! The shots you heard was them assassinating our poor friend!”

“Don’t listen to them Rooger” continues the wily creature. “They are part of those who have mocked you for so long. We will give you your destiny!”
OOC,Leader Power x5 to convince Rooger: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/538615]Power[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]6[/b]
Rooger straightens up and nods, seeming determined.
OOC,You're going to have to work hard to beat the Leader! Keep rolling and talking.

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"They're lying to you!" insists Alice. "Why didn't they tell you about Hodges's so-called accident sooner? Where is he now? I think they killed him, just like they've been trying to do to us! Don't accept their claims on face value, insist on proof."
OOC,Persuade roll (65% skill) to get [b]Rooger[/b] to come back: [dice]0[/dice] Woohoo! Critical success! 8-)

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 am
by HoneyDog
This strikes a chord with Rooger. “Yeah, why dint you tell me earlier?” he asks the Leader. “And where’s his body?”

“It could not be recovered” insists the Leader. “Stop these games Rooger! We must continue the ceremony! Ithaqua must be called!”

But Rooger is walking over to the companions. “It’ll have to wait until tomorrow night” he calls over his shoulder. “Ah’m gonna walk these folks back down the mountain so that they can go home. Ah don’ want any more trouble.”

Despite the furious buzzing behind him, Rooger pushes the heroes ahead of him and they set off back down the mountain path, now more brightly illuminated by the extra fires which are burning. The creatures do not follow.
OOC,All can roll Spot Hidden. Rooger Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/538705]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]34[/b]

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice doesn't notice anything as she follows Rooger back down the mountain.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) heading back down the mountain: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:52 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]SpotHid[/i] is 50% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Crit!  
Balzac's eyes are everywhere, he is going hyper-vigilant.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:36 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac’s sharp eyes can now clearly see what they missed in the darkness earlier. Within the undergrowth, sticking out of the frozen plants, is what seems to be a hand.

The party clear away the foliage and discover the frozen corpse of none other than Bartley Hodges.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:16 am
by andyw666
Balzac stops (dead) in his tracks. "Sacre bleu," he whispers to himself. With a sigh, he walks over and squats down beside the corpse. Pulling out the faithful magnifying glass, Balzac speedily scans the body for anything unexpected.
OOC,Can [b]Balzac[/b] make any rolls to gain further information about Hodges and particularly how he died, beyond the fact he is now frozen?

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:24 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac,Balzac can see what looks like frostbite on the corpse, but there's no other obvious cause of death. He'd need an autopsy.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:17 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Spot Hidden 30%

[dice]0[/dice]

"Is... is that a body? Monsieur Balzac, please, don't linger!"

"We cannot stay here... let's run," Isadora whispers to the others.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 am
by HoneyDog
Rooger is incensed at the site of the body.

"Those darn critters! Poor Mr. Hodges!" he exclaims. "They lied to me! I won’t be helping them no more”. He turns and shakes his fist at the darkness.

“You lousy, no-good varmints!”
he shouts.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 am
by andyw666
Balzac straightens up. "We must bring him back down from the mountain. Two at the arms and one at the feet perhaps?"

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:55 am
by HoneyDog
Rooger uses his knife to free the frozen corpse from the undergrowth, and together the men carry their burden down the mountain. Luckily, the temperature is rising now that the ceremony is over, and the companions no longer suffer from the cold so much.
OOC,Everyone should roll Listen. Rooger Listen 20: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/539159]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]44[/b]

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice is too distracted to hear anything unusual.
OOC,Listen roll (60% skill) heading back down the mountain: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Listen 33%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora is too concerned about a possible attack by the flying monsters.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:38 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Henry Listen 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 am
by andyw666
Listen,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Listen[/i] is 25% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:01 pm
by HoneyDog
The party reaches Rooger’s home just before midnight. Exhausted, they slump around his table, grateful for the relative warmth. The evening's events seem like a far- off dream, but the knowledge that Hodges’ body is wrapped in a sheet in the shed serves to snap them back to reality. Still, there is coffee and some left-over bread and cheese to fortify them.

Rooger partakes of his moonshine in liberal amounts. He is somewhat dismayed to find that it served as ammunition for the heroes’ firebombs, but then cheers up when he realizes that it has more than one use. Still, the events of the evening weigh heavy on his mind.

“Those darned crawdads” he complains. “They really had me fooled. I thought they was helping me in exchange for what I could do for them. They spoke to me real nice too. Well, they can shove their lousy Ikuarthur, or whatever the heck his name is. They won’t get the better of Harny Rooger! I won’t help them no more. He can darn well call himself.”

He shakes the bottle in his fist. He seems to be on the way to getting drunk again.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:40 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

While making their way off the mountain, Isadora nervously glances back, to see what the insectoid abominations do. Do they fly away?

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:12 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora,After a short while, the creatures cannot be seen in the darkness.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:38 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"How many of us inow that such horrors inhabit our planet." muses Henry darkly.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"They... they came from the sky..." Isadora says, shivering. She glances at the metallic weapon lying in her lap, then closes her eyes, and takes a huge gulp of the moonshine.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Rooger, but... did they tell you why they needed you so much? For this calling?"

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:02 am
by HoneyDog
“They said that they needed somebody with a special mind who could channel their calling, and I fit the bill. But they was just butterin' me up! They was callin’ him to help them with their work, but they dint tell me what that was” Rooger explains.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Don't feel too bad about being fooled by those varmints, Mr. Rooger," says Alice. "They can be very clever and tricky - but not clever and tricky enough." She returns the shotgun and shells. "I'm sorry we had to borrow these and the moonshine. We'll pay you back to compensate you for the shells and moonshine we used."

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:51 am
by HoneyDog
“Thas fine miss” smiles Rooger. “I wanna thank you folks for helping me see the light about those other fellas. I should have known summat was up – most normal folk don’t be flyin’ around at night.”

The conversation gradually fades as the group becomes drowsy due to the evenings exertions. The companions begin to nod off.

But wait, the room seems to be getting colder, much more colder than it should be…

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:15 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Is it always this cold at night in these parts?"

She stands up and walks over to the window, looks out. Carefully. Afraid to see the compound eye of a hideous flying abomination staring back at her.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:54 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora,Roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:16 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Spot Hidden 30%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:31 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Anything out there?" says Henry following Isadora to the window.
Spoiler:
Henry Spot Hidden 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:45 pm
by HoneyDog
The cabin is noticeably much colder now, and condensation is starting to show on the windows. Rooger gets up and tries to look outside.

“Ah can’t see nuthin’” he complains. “There’s sumthin’ up though, ah'm sure of it.”
OOC,Rooger Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/539508]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]59[/b]

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice shivers as she goes over to a window and looks outside, spotting something in spite of the pane starting to be coated with frost.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) looking out the window: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:07 am
by HoneyDog
Alice,Alice recognises a familiar shape in the dark – many limbed, sprouting wings, and pointing something at the house…

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:00 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"What is it Alice?"

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I see one of them, firing its cold weapon at the house," says Alice through chattering teeth. "Hand me a shotgun and I'll try to blast it."

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:53 am
by HoneyDog
“No!” shouts Rooger. “I’ve got unfinished business with these crawdads!”

Before anyone can stop him, he grabs his shotgun and runs outside, yelling. Instantly, he is met with a wave of cold, and falls to his knees.

Suddenly, the wave of cold stops, and a buzzing voice can be heard.

“Ia! Rooger! Come with us! Come with us and you and your friends will live!”

Slowly, Rooger gets to his feet.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:07 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC:   How many creatures are out there? Just one?  
Isadora Carmichael

"No, come back!"

"If he doesn't come back, we have to fight... Ms. Stanton, can you shot the beast from the window?"

She prepares the salvaged frost weapon...

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can sure try," says Alice, "but I think he has a plan. I just wish he'd said what it was. He's got his own shotgun, and he may also have those firebombs. I know he's not going to help them no matter what now."

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:58 am
by HoneyDog
“Who is Ucarter?” Rooger calls out to the darkness. “Why you callin’ ‘im?”

“He will prepare the way for our operations to proceed. There is too much interference otherwise” comes the reply.

“I don’t like the sound of that”
says Rooger sternly. “I won’t be helping you anymore. You’d best leave, or I’ll give you a dose of buckshot!” He gestures with his shotgun.

“Then you will all die” comes the awful buzz, which grates the ears. Several shapes can be seen in the darkness now, including the singed form of the Leader. “We can still use your brain, Rooger. It doesn’t have to still be in your head.”

“You’ll have to take me then” says Rooger, who then suddenly turns and runs off behind his shed, and into the trees. He is heading for his still. Several buzzing and fluttering shapes can be seen following him.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think he's going to blow up the still," whispers Alice, "and those things with it."

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:43 am
by HoneyDog
Sure enough, shortly the companions hear and see a loud explosion which shakes the walls of the shack and causes items on the shelves to crash to the floor. Flames can be seen at the sight of the still.

Venturing out clutching their weapons, the heroes come to the scene of the explosion. There are several small fires burning, and the air strongly smells of Rooger’s moonshine and another peculiar burning smell.

The remains and body parts of the creatures are strewn around, some aflame. It is difficult to tell how many there are. One is still trying to crawl, buzzing weakly. It has a piece of copper tube from the still sticking in its abdomen.

Of Rooger there is no sign, but some charred remnants of clothing remain, together with a large patch of blood. In the dim light it is difficult to see properly, but it is unlikely that he survived the explosion.

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Poor Mr. Rooger." says Alice, shedding tears. "He truly died a hero. We should put that last one down." She looks over at the badly wounded creature.

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:46 am
by HoneyDog
Seeing the investigators, the creature raises its pincers and buzzes intelligibly. Balzac steps over and blasts it with his shotgun. Missing its 'head', the creature slumps and is still.

The heroes stare at each other and the scene, their faces pale in the dim light.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac lowers his shotgun.

“I think we are free from the creature’s threats”
he tells the others. “But someone may have heard the explosion. Perhaps we should leave now before they come to investigate”.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we'd better carry Mr. Hodges's body with us," says Alice. "I don't think there's enough left of poor Mr. Rooger."

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:14 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac nods sadly. “I underestimated him. I think a lot of people probably did.”

He looks around at the others. “We need to think of an explanation of how we came across M. Hodges' body.”

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:52 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I suppose we just say that we found him on the mountain, frozen and already dead, poor fellow."

"The sooner we get out of hear the better." he adds.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:15 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,The plan is to take Hodges and scram then?

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Yes, I agree. We should just say report that we found poor Hodges' body..."

She looks around the site of the destroyed still.

"And maybe set fire to these awful carapaces, scorch them to pieces. I'm afraid humanity is not yet prepared to face the existence of such abominations."

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree," says Alice. "We came up here to look for Mr. Hodges, and we found him. It's that simple. I don't know about destroying the bodies, though. Maybe people need to be aware of such things, so they can do something about them. Those things are out there whether we know about them or not. If people are at least aware of them, they can fight back."

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:53 am
by HoneyDog
The companions return to Rooger’s shed and collect the body of Hodges. Leaving the mountain and its secrets behind them, they return to Brattleboro and deliver the body to the police.

After a couple of hours of questioning, the heroes are released and asked to stay in town pending the results of a doctor’s examination of Hodges’ body. They are able to check in at the Hotel Brooks, and collapse exhausted in their beds.

Not rising until the late afternoon, they are summoned to the police station, where they are informed that the preliminary results indicate that Hodges’ froze to death. Although the authorities are somewhat mystified that this could have happened in summer, in fine weather, there is nothing to suspect foul play and the heroes are not under any suspicion. Also present is the grim-faced Tattler editor MacColl, who thanks them and asks them to stop by the office to collect the $500 reward.

A couple of police and a party of locals go to investigate the site and to stop by Harny Rooger’s place. There they find the remains of a destroyed still, and of Rooger himself. It was known that Rooger had been producing moonshine, and the verdict is that Harny accidently blew himself up. He is buried in the local churchyard. As he was not particularly popular around Jenning, the locals are surprised to see that a fine headstone is provided for him by an anonymous benefactor from Boston.

No report of any other remains, human or animal, is made.

No more fires are reported on Strafton Mountain.