Chapter 4: The Mountain

May, 1928. A journalist disappears in the midst of strange goings on in the mountains of Vermont. Was it a simple accident, or something else? A terrifying conspiracy is underway, and it is up to an intrepid band of investigators to stop it before hundreds of lives are lost.

Moderator: HoneyDog

andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 4: The Mountain

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac stands up with a crackling of vertebrae and sighs in Gallic fashion. "Mysterious but I cannot tell anything without a laboratory. Shall we continue to the flames or retreat? For myself, I am curious.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We must go on," says Alice. "We can't turn back now, not after what we've already seen." She peers at the creature's remains. Though it is alien, something about it seems familiar.
OOC,Natural History roll (10% base skill) about the creature: [dice]0[/dice] They don't hate all of us. They''re positively head over heels for [b]Alice[/b]! :o
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Alice,[b]Alice [/b]can see nothing which resembles the organs you would find in a mammal, fish or any other creature typically found on Earth. The monstrosity looks almost fibrous. In fact, it could it be more like a plant – a mushroom, or a fungus.
The companions gather their belongings, but take a moment to prepare their home-made explosives. Each now has some matches or a lighter to use.
OOC,I've been assuming your characters know how to make a Molotov cocktail, but perhaps I should actually make you roll [b]Know [/b]or [b]Idea[/b] for it, unless your character can give me a suitable explanation of how they would know.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"We must go on. Hodges is evidently in a great deal of trouble."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,I've been assuming your characters know how to make a Molotov cocktail, but perhaps I should actually make you roll [b]Know [/b]or [b]Idea[/b] for it, unless your character can give me a suitable explanation of how they would know.
OOC,That's fair! [b]Idea 70[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora now stands with two objects: a firebomb and an alien death ray... She comes to her senses after the battle, and realizes, that she doesn't understand how was she able to make a proper firebomb - but stress does that to you.

"I think I will be able to use this against them," she says, lifting the plundered silver "gun". "Just don't stand too close to me, if it comes to that."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"If George could see you now..."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Oh my god... George... Please, don't tell him... I mean, we will tell him, but..."

Isadora gulps.

"He was right, about me getting into danger. But Mr. Hodges is in even deeper trouble! We must save him!"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The heroes continue their journey up the mountain, determined to solve the mystery. Still they struggle with the freezing cold – what could be causing such unnatural weather?

After about thirty minutes, they are able to view the summit. Luckily, the nearest fire is nearby, and they will not need to climb that far. Approaching cautiously, weapons ready, they spot a barren spur which is lit by the flames of the fire. The view from here is very clear; they can see north and east, and down below the lights of Jenning can be seen glowing in the darkness, the residents no doubt disturbed by the latest fiery phenomena.

They can see what looks like a small level area, containing a ring of irregularly spaced stones, each one roughly three feet in diameter. It is very cold here, and everything is covered by a layer of frost. Luckily, some heat is given off by the nearby fire, and its light blinds the inhabitant of the clearing as to their presence. That inhabitant is none other than Harny Rooger. Incredibly, as they watch, he reaches into his pocket and takes out a flask, from which he drinks.

Just then, a horrifying event occurs. No less than six of the fungus creatures swoops out of the sky and lands around the stones. Rooger is unmoved, but the sight may prove too much for the companions. Each creature looks identical, but they can notice differences in size. All carry the mist weapon, and some are clad in dripping slime. They buzz furiously, an awful sound which sets the teeth on edge.
OOC,All must roll for SAN I'm afraid. The sight of so many of these things means you need to roll 1d6 for SAN loss if you fail.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Sanity 64
[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora suppresses an audible gasp...

"Let's stay hidden..." she whispers to the others, and takes place behind a tree, if possible.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Henry SAN 64 [dice]0[/dice]
"So many of them! Can we fight them all?" whispers Henry
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice is no longer so afraid of these creatures, having already slain one. "Let's hope we don't have to," she whispers. "One was bad enough. We should just stay hidden and watch."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 62) for seeing the creatures: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,SAN 53 and [b]Balzac[/b] rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Balzac absently crosses himself but remains otherwise in control for a change.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Rooger watches absently as the creatures buzz around him. This is obviously a familiar sight to him.

Suddenly the creatures’ discussion ends, and two of them flap their wings and fly off into the night. The remaining four gather around the stones with Rooger, and one of them begins to speak.

“There are intruders on the mountain, we heard shots fired. One of us is missing and will be searched for.”

“That must be those folks who came to see me” says Rooger. He sounds mystified. “But why would they be shooting at you good fellas? They seemed like nice people”.

“We cannot stand any interference Rooger! says the lead creature. “You should have made them leave. Your failure has put the ceremony in jeopardy!” Its buzzing rises in anger. Rooger looks shamefaced.

“But we must continue. We have need of you again, your special mind is essential to our success. Tonight, perhaps we will finally achieve our goal. Join us!”

Rooger looks pleased at the praise. “A’hm glad ah cun help you fellas. You all bin real nice to me”.

The creatures and Rooger stand in a circle among the stones, all facing inward. The leader and another creature begin to lead the chant, which is in a language completely unfamiliar to our heroes. Meanwhile the others, including Rooger, chant responses. As they buzz and sway, a blue-white flame flickers into life in the middle of the stone circle. A blast of icy air is emanating from it, and the companions can see a sudden growth of frost on the stones around it.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac gestures to the others that they could throw a Molotov cocktail into the blue flame, or possibly one into the blue flame followed by another into the 'regular' fire. He make a rather Gallic 'how about it' gesture to the rest of the team.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice nods, having been thinking along the same lines. She readies two firebombs, gesturing for the others to do the same before they start lighting and throwing them.
OOC,How close are they to the fires?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,The nearest fire is about 15 meters.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,15 meters is 16 yards, right? Throwing range is "three yards for each STR point exceeding the object's SIZ". I take the firebomb is SIZ 1. Isadora has STR 7, so she can throw 6 x 3 = 18 yards.
Isadora agrees to the plan and prepares her firebomb. She tries her best to synchronize her throw with Alice and the rest of the team...

Throw 25%
[dice]0[/dice]

At least she will create some sort of distraction...

After her throw, no matter what happens, she arms the alien weapon.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,It might be better to wait for innsmouth in case he vetoes the molotov cocktail plan. If he's okay with it, where were you aiming your attack evil_scientist?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,Okay! Isadora is aiming for the closest fire (a regular non-blue one, I presume).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,What I had meant was how close are the creatures (and [b]Rooger[/b]) to the fires? I'll wait for Innsmouth before I roll Throw.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Madman”