Chapter 4: The Mountain

May, 1928. A journalist disappears in the midst of strange goings on in the mountains of Vermont. Was it a simple accident, or something else? A terrifying conspiracy is underway, and it is up to an intrepid band of investigators to stop it before hundreds of lives are lost.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 4: The Mountain

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice lights her second bomb and hurls it in a high overhead arc so that it soars past Rooger to try to hit the creatures without harming him, but she is less accurate this time.
OOC,Throw roll (25% base skill) throwing the second firebomb at the creatures: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Luck,65% and Balzac rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice thinks of something.
OOC,Idea roll (65% stat) on the mountain: [dice]0[/dice] I know I saw a post saying everyone may roll Idea, but it seems to be gone now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Yes, I removed it after having second thoughts. I don't want to make it too easy for you. At the moment you're attacking, but please consider the possibility of other strategies. Can Alice or anyone think of anything else you could do? Fighting the creatures and all of you surviving will not be easy.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Come back, Mr. Rooger!" calls Alice. "Your friends only want you to do something for them that they can't do themselves, and they'll get rid of you once you've done it!"
OOC,Fast Talk roll (60% skill) to get [b]Rooger[/b] to come back: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Please!" begs Alice. "One of them attacked us as we were coming up the mountain and tried to kill us. Nobody even told us not to come up here, it just used its weapon on us without warning! The only reason they don't kill us now is that they don't want to kill you too until after you've done what they want you to do. If you go back to them, they'll murder us. I know you're a good man, Mr. Rooger. You don't want us to die. All we wanted to do was find Mr. Hodges."
OOC,Persuade roll (65% skill) to get [b]Rooger[/b] to come back: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Frozen in place by the earlier violence, Rooger turns his head, listening intently to Alice, and hearing the sincerity in her voice. The mention of Hodges has an effect, and he turns back to face the monstrous leader.

“What did happen to Mr. Hodges? You told me you sent him away, but no-one’s heard o’ him since.”

“Unfortunately he had an accident on the way back down the mountain” buzzes the leader. “It was very tragic.”
OOC,The leader has POWx5 to convince Rooger: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/538566]Power[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]26[/b]
Rooger looks surprised. "Gosh, that's awful" he says.
OOC,You'll have to keep rolling to persuade or fast talk him, but he's listening now.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac calls out earnestly. "M. Rooger, the first one of these creatures we saw immediately tried to kill us. I can show you my frost bite from its weapon. We are here to rescue you and stop them, that is all. Please, at least come back with us to your cottage, and explain to us what is going on."
OOC,Persuade of 55% and he rolls [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Rooger hesitates again at Balzac’s words.

“Is it true?” he asks the Leader. “Did one of youse attack these folks?”

“No!” the Leader buzzes emphatically. “They attacked one of ours! The shots you heard was them assassinating our poor friend!”

“Don’t listen to them Rooger” continues the wily creature. “They are part of those who have mocked you for so long. We will give you your destiny!”
OOC,Leader Power x5 to convince Rooger: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/538615]Power[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]6[/b]
Rooger straightens up and nods, seeming determined.
OOC,You're going to have to work hard to beat the Leader! Keep rolling and talking.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They're lying to you!" insists Alice. "Why didn't they tell you about Hodges's so-called accident sooner? Where is he now? I think they killed him, just like they've been trying to do to us! Don't accept their claims on face value, insist on proof."
OOC,Persuade roll (65% skill) to get [b]Rooger[/b] to come back: [dice]0[/dice] Woohoo! Critical success! 8-)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

This strikes a chord with Rooger. “Yeah, why dint you tell me earlier?” he asks the Leader. “And where’s his body?”

“It could not be recovered” insists the Leader. “Stop these games Rooger! We must continue the ceremony! Ithaqua must be called!”

But Rooger is walking over to the companions. “It’ll have to wait until tomorrow night” he calls over his shoulder. “Ah’m gonna walk these folks back down the mountain so that they can go home. Ah don’ want any more trouble.”

Despite the furious buzzing behind him, Rooger pushes the heroes ahead of him and they set off back down the mountain path, now more brightly illuminated by the extra fires which are burning. The creatures do not follow.
OOC,All can roll Spot Hidden. Rooger Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/538705]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]34[/b]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice doesn't notice anything as she follows Rooger back down the mountain.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) heading back down the mountain: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]SpotHid[/i] is 50% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Crit!  
Balzac's eyes are everywhere, he is going hyper-vigilant.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Balzac’s sharp eyes can now clearly see what they missed in the darkness earlier. Within the undergrowth, sticking out of the frozen plants, is what seems to be a hand.

The party clear away the foliage and discover the frozen corpse of none other than Bartley Hodges.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac stops (dead) in his tracks. "Sacre bleu," he whispers to himself. With a sigh, he walks over and squats down beside the corpse. Pulling out the faithful magnifying glass, Balzac speedily scans the body for anything unexpected.
OOC,Can [b]Balzac[/b] make any rolls to gain further information about Hodges and particularly how he died, beyond the fact he is now frozen?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Balzac,Balzac can see what looks like frostbite on the corpse, but there's no other obvious cause of death. He'd need an autopsy.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Spot Hidden 30%

[dice]0[/dice]

"Is... is that a body? Monsieur Balzac, please, don't linger!"

"We cannot stay here... let's run," Isadora whispers to the others.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Rooger is incensed at the site of the body.

"Those darn critters! Poor Mr. Hodges!" he exclaims. "They lied to me! I won’t be helping them no more”. He turns and shakes his fist at the darkness.

“You lousy, no-good varmints!”
he shouts.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac straightens up. "We must bring him back down from the mountain. Two at the arms and one at the feet perhaps?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Rooger uses his knife to free the frozen corpse from the undergrowth, and together the men carry their burden down the mountain. Luckily, the temperature is rising now that the ceremony is over, and the companions no longer suffer from the cold so much.
OOC,Everyone should roll Listen. Rooger Listen 20: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/539159]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]44[/b]

Return to “The Madman”