Page 1 of 1

Chapter 3: Looking for Mr. Rooger

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:45 am
by HoneyDog
Friday 8th June

After a hearty breakfast of bacon and pancakes, and porridge for Isadora, the heroes begin their day. It is a bright and sunny early June morning.

The hotel has local phonebooks with listing for Jenning, but the name of Harny Rooger doesn’t feature. Visiting the Brattleboro post office when it opens at 9, they are told that post for Jenning is routed via the general store in that village.

Re: Chapter 3: Looking for Mr. Rooger

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like we'll need to go to the general store in Jennings and ask about Mr. Rooger there," says Alice.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 am
by HoneyDog
Climbing into the touring car, the companions set off again for Jenning. It is another pleasant drive, and with the folding roof down, they can enjoy the warm sunshine. Balzac however, having consumed too much delicious venison and sauce the night before, is less effusive about the joys of the local environment, much to the others’ relief.

They arrive in Jenning at 10 and head to the store. It is a typical store of that kind, reminiscent of the store in Ross’ Corners, although perhaps larger than usual, and contains a wide range of goods, mostly food and household stores. More unusual items would have to be ordered or sourced in Brattleboro.

The storekeeper is a thin, elderly-looking man with a trim white goatee and an impeccable apron. There are a few customers who glance at the companions curiously, but there is no outright hostility. This is a small town, but not a backwater.

When the proprietor has finished with his customers, it is the turn of our heroes.

“What do you folks need?” he asks.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're looking for Mr. Harny Rooger," says Alice. "Do you know where we might find him?"

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:23 am
by HoneyDog
The man’s eyebrows shoot up. Harny! Whatever would you want with him?”

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"We''ve heard he knows some things about the local area," says Alice.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:35 am
by HoneyDog
The answer seems to confuse the man.

“Well sure, but if you’re looking for sense, you’d be going to the wrong person. Why ever would you want to talk to him?”

He shakes his head, as in disbelief.

“What are you wanting to know about our town, Miss? Perhaps someone here could help.”

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alice. "It's not just the town, though we would like to hear about that. We'd also like to know more about the mountain."

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 am
by HoneyDog
“The mountain? You mean Strafton? Well, I guess you’ve probably read about the fires in the newspapers. Is there something in the store you might need?”

He seems a little unwilling to take it further.
OOC,The townspeople are going to be worried about their reputation. If the investigators seem responsible and smart, they will be more likely to open up to you. Try rolling Credit Rating.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:48 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Credit Rating 35%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora looks responsible and smart... but maybe a bit too bohemian for local tastes, even in her "sensible" clothes.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:50 am
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Credit rating 15 [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Henry is no longer wearing his blue suit. he is back in his everyday clothes.  

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:50 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]CredRating[/i] is 30% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
The green suit, tie and bowler hat look somewhat distinguished, perhaps. Combined with polite manners and a winning smile.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:36 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Well done Andy! Go ahead and ask some questions. Alice too if she passes her roll.  

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice is dresssed to impress, wearing an elegant blue dress that is nonetheless conservative enough for a small town in Vermont, unlike her little black number that probably would have caused a scandal here. She carries herself with near-perfect bearing, and her command of the English language is excellent as always. "We've come to lend whatever assistance we can in the search for the missing reporter, Mr. Hodges," she says, indicating Henry. "This is Mr. Henry Glynn, the noted author who recently had a novel published, and I am Miss Alice Stanton, his editor, typist, and proofreader. Mr. Glynn is from around here and knows Mr. Hodges personally. Mr. Hodges sent him a letter shortly before he disappeared. We believe Mr. Rooger may have been in contact with Mr. Hodges and could have some information that would help locate him, which is why we'd like to speak to him."
OOC,Credit Rating roll (55% skill) in the general store: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:42 am
by HoneyDog
The shopkeeper perks up in surprise at this news.

“Oh, I see! We’ve had a few tourists come through looking for scandal about those fires and poor Mr. Hodges. Why, old Missus Brown thought she saw some strangers hanging around his house last night! You folks seem respectable though.”

His voice drops to a whisper. “They still haven’t found Mr. Hodges. We fear the worst for him! The police called off their search this morning – haven’t found hide nor hair of ‘im!”

He pauses. “Of course the constables have talked to Harny. He lives closest to the mountain after all. But he didn’t have nuthin to tell ‘em. “
OOC,A successful Fast Talk or Persuade should get more out of him if you're looking for more information.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:32 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Persuade[/i] is 55% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:37 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Super! Try more questions.  

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:46 am
by andyw666
"Thank you Monsieur, we cannot rest unless we have helped our friend M. Glynn search for his old family friend, M. Hodges. Anything you can tell us about M. Hodges activities, or this Mt Strafton, or M. Rooger, would be gratefully received. You can never tell what may be useful, and M. Hodges's life may yet still be at stake."

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:04 am
by HoneyDog
The sincerity and urgency of Balzac’s statement impresses the shopkeeper and the small group of locals who have begun to listen.

“We-ell” begins the shopkeeper, “old Hodges was mighty interested in the fires, him being a newspaperman and all. We really can’t account for the fires, but some tell tales of strange things in the woods, especially around Strafton Mountain. Nobody goes up around there now, especially after them fires were a-set. Police dint find nothing. Maybe old Bartley did, and he got a-roasted.”

The locals murmur and mutter in agreement.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"You mentioned that Harny Rooger lives closest to the mountain," says Alice. "Could you please give us directions? We'd still like to speak to him."

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:33 am
by HoneyDog
Another local speaks up.

Harny has a cottage about four miles north of town. Just follow the mountain. You’ll come to a forked tree by the road about four miles out, next to which begins the track to his home. It gets real narrow later so you’d best leave the car at the roadside. He’s a handyman, so he might be away working, but lately I think he’s just bin hanging around his shack.”

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alice, making a note of the directions. "Is there a map of the area for sale here by any chance? That would be very useful to help in our search."

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:49 am
by HoneyDog
The Storekeeper speaks up.

“Oh no, we don’t have anything like that. It’s just wilderness around here, so no maps have been made. But you can’t miss the route to Harny’s place”.

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:36 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Thank you for your help Sir. We'll take some bread and cheese and take a ride out there now."

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:09 am
by HoneyDog
The companions pick up some supplies for lunch and then head back to the car. Taking the route towards the mountain, sure enough the come across the forked tree, next to which is the track.

Parking the car, the heroes unload which possessions they want to take, and head up the track. After a few feet, the see a mailbox painted with the name Rooger, confirming that they are heading in the right direction.

It is a warm summer day and they are soon working up a sweat. The tress are filled with the chirping of small birds and insects, and flowers are blooming, making for a most pleasant experience. The track itself is easy to navigate but it does soon begin to narrow, forcing them into single file.

After about 15-20 minutes of walking, they come to a small clearing containing a small cottage, which a less sensitive person might describe as a shack. However, although it could use paint in places, it is in pretty good repair. Adjacent to it is a well-tended garden, full of vegetables, as well as vines and some fruit trees. The peak of Stratton Mountain rises ominously behind this genteel scene.

Of greatest interest is the man busy chopping wood in front of the cottage. He is almost mechanical in his actions, repeatedly placing a log and unerringly cleaving it in two with one cut of his axe. He never seems to miss.

He is tall and rangy, with tanned skin and an almost bald head. His face though is somewhat babyish in countenance, so it is hard to determine his age. He wears simple, although somewhat dirty, overalls.

As the investigators approach, he stops his chopping and watches them. "Howdy!" he says, in a friendly voice.
OOC,I'll leave it up to you guys as to what supplies you want to bring with you.

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:33 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Hello there Sir, my name's Henry Glynn, a friend of Bartley Hodges. Mind if my friends and I stop for a chat. We're awful worried about him."

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:51 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac[/b] will slip the Colt 38 Special into the inside pocket of his jacket and will bring his medical bag along. For the moment, bringing large firearms along seems a tad unfriendly but if the party plans any long hikes up the mountain or whatnot, he'll bring the shotgun as bear protection.

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:11 am
by HoneyDog
"Well, surely" says Rooger happily. "I like a friendly chat. I don't believe I know this Hodges fella though."

He picks up a preserves jar near his feet, which is filled with a clear liquid. He takes a long sip, and smacks his lips appreciatively.

"What happened to your friend?" he asks.

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Alice Stanton," says Alice. "I work for Mr. Flynn here. It's a pleasure to meet you. We're not sure what happened to Mr. Hodges, but we know he was interested in the mountain, particularly the fires that have started there recently. He's disappeared, and we hope we can find him."

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:22 am
by HoneyDog
”Oh yuh, that ole mountain" says Rooger, jerking his thumb towards the peak behind him. “Those fires sure are strange, huh?” He winks, and takes another sip from his jar.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, they are at that," says Alice. "Do you have any idea as to their cause?"

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:18 am
by HoneyDog
"Oh no, as I told the police when they came. There must be a secret reason for the fires. Say, would you folks like some lunch? I have some jerky inside."

He takes another sip.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that's very kind," says Alice.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:34 am
by HoneyDog
The companions enter the cottage. It is relatively clean, and simply furnished, but shows obvious signs of neglect. It hasn't been painted for a long time, and the drapes are old and shabby, as are the furniture coverings. There is a radio on a shelf with a few magazines.

There is a small dining table and four chairs. The kitchen is primitive at best, with a wood burning stove and an ancient sink. On the floor, there are two bowls, obviously for a dog. There are also several mason jars, similar to the one Rooger clutches in his hand, filled with clear liquid. Underlying everything is a peculiar smell.

Rooger ushers the companions to the seats and sets about preparing plates and utensils. He seems happy and cheerful for the company.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice takes a seat. "Do you know Mr. Hodges?" she asks.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:53 am
by HoneyDog
“Wasn’t he that writer fella? Can’t says I did. I told the police that too”.

He chews contentedly on a piece of cheese provided by the companions.

Rooger proves to be something of an authority on the local plant and animal life, which endears him to Balzac. The companions spend a few hours eating and listening to Rooger‘s tales. All the while, he regularly sips from a jar, which is always near to hand.
OOC,Anyone is free to roll Psychology.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice doesn't quite know what to make of Harny Rooger.
OOC,Psychology roll (60% skill) about [b]Rooger[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:32 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Psych[/i] is 05% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Delighted by this turn of events, Balzac occasionally pulls out his notebook and makes a few quick notes based on the information provided by Rooger.
Biology,Can [b]Balzac[/b] make a Biology or similar roll to assess what plants and animals have been used in Rooger's cooking/jerky. Not that he's worried, really...

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:42 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sure, go ahead.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Biology[/i] is 76% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac,The jerky just seems to be beef. You're not eating Hodges! Any questions for Rooger?

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Psychology 11 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:40 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Pardon me Mr Rooger but have you noticed anything strange round here lately, other than the fires? Any strangers in these parts?"

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 am
by HoneyDog
"Well, there's you!" He hoots with laughter. He's obviously on his way to inebriation now.

"No, not many strangers around here. Not since my friends showed up."

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:56 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Friends?" probes Henry with interest, offering more bread and cheese.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:47 pm
by HoneyDog
“Yup” says Rooger. “Say, this is real tasty cheese. Sure good of you folks to share it with me. Used to have a goat a long time ago, but never got any milk from it. ‘Twas a he-goat! Ha ha ha!”

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:47 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Vermont cheese is the best kind isn't it? Tell us more about your friends?"

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:25 am
by HoneyDog
Rooger's voice drops low, as if he is imparting a great secret.

"My new friends know more th'n them perfessers from the U" he confides.

He stands up a little shakily. "Come see muh gardin!" he hollers, and heads for the door.

He heads for his vegetable patch. "Lookee here! See these cucumbers! Ain't they the greenest cucumbers you ever saw?"

The garden is certainly in fine condition; the soil looks rich and the plants strong and healthy.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:46 am
by andyw666
Balzac happily enough wanders out with Rooger and casts an analytical eye over the garden, ever the botanist.

"Monsieur, there is no doubt you have the green thumb," he compliments Rooger. "Are your new friends good gardeners?"

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:31 am
by HoneyDog
“Why, sure Frenchie!” he sips again from his flask.

“M’ crops hev’n’t failed oncst since m’new friends come along.”

He stops to point out a watermelon. “See this melon! Ain’t it fine?”

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh indeed!" says Alice. "It could probably win a prize at the county fair. Your garden is lovely. Your friends certainly are talented. What are their names?"

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:41 am
by HoneyDog
Rooger looks taken aback a moment.

“Why, come to think of it, they never tole me! And I never asked” he adds, sadly. He takes another drink.

They have a friend though, they bin callin’ him. Iffa.. I think his name be. Or maybe Iffka? Ifkwa?” He is beginning to slur his words.

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:51 am
by andyw666
Careful not to tread on any plants, Balzac squats down to admire the melon and its companions.
OOC,Is there anything actually abnormal about the results of Rooger's veggie patch or is it just at the well done end of the normal spectrum?

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:49 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"It would be good to meet your gardener friends - maybe they can help us find Mr Hodges."

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:20 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,There is nothing strange about the plants, they are just in excellent condition and the soil is obviously very healthy. Perhaps that in itself is a little unusual.
"Oh no" says Rooger to Henry. "My friends don't like to meet anyone. They only let me work with 'dem."

He drinks some more. He is obviously quite drunk now.

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:37 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Sure Mr Rooger, I understand. Say, are you expecting them any time soon?"

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:07 pm
by HoneyDog
Rooger suddenly seems serious for once. “They come 'afore dusk. You folks need to be gone ‘afore then”.

Abruptly, he sits down. But he doesn’t spill a drop from his jar, which soon finds his lips.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where are your friends from?" asks Alice. "Are they local, or just visiting? Maybe you could ask them if they've seen Mr. Hodges when they come."

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:12 am
by HoneyDog
“Oh, visiting, I should think” slurs Rooger. His eyes are glassy. He mumbles some more words, which the heroes must strain to listen to.

Everybody,Roll Listen.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Listen[/i] is 25% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 am
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Listen 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:53 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Listen 33%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:08 pm
by HoneyDog
evil_scientist,So, finally recovered from your birthday hangover eh? You still owe us a Psychology roll.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:18 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Psychology 20%

[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Hahahah, well, my birthday hangover segued into work-related nightmare ;) :D

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,An Evil Scientist's work is never done. I'll wait for Mr.H to roll before the big reveal.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice clearly hears what Rooger says.
OOC,Listen roll (60% skill) in the garden: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:52 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora & Alice,Both are able to make sense of [b]Rooger's[/b] mumbling: [color=#808000]"I did warn 'im, afore goodness I did."[/color]
Rooger suddenly slumps backwards. He appears to have passed out.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:11 am
by andyw666
Balzac checks Rooger to make sure he's just passed out, not anything more serious but he assumes the moonshine has something to do with it. Balzac also has a quick smell of whatever is in the jar Rooger has been drinking from.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:14 am
by HoneyDog
Rooger is snoring peacefully. The moonshine is obviously very powerful – Balzac’s eyes begin to water.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"He said he warned him," Alice says softly, so as not to wake him, "Meaning Hodges? Perhaps we should hide and watch to see if his friends show up."

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:29 am
by andyw666
"Aaack," Balzac reels away from the moonshine, wiping his eyes with a handkerchief. "Heavens, well (cough) he's probably going to be sleeping it off for a little while, hopefully he hasn't gone blind. Might be a good time to have a quick look around?"

Intrigued by the success of the vegie patch, the still slightly blitzed Balzac staggers over to look at the soil around the successful melons etc and then compares it to the soil in the general area near Rooger's house.
OOC,Biology or some other roll to try to determine Rooger's secret?

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:12 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac,Balzac can see that the quality of the soil in the vegetable garden is better than that of the surrounding area. He can roll Biology if he likes.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:33 am
by andyw666
Ever the scientist...
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Biology[/i] is 76% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:39 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac,Balzac can’t see anything unusual about the soil, it’s just in very fine condition.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:14 am
by evil_scientist
OOC,What time is it?
Isadora checks the time on her elegant silver wristwatch.

"We can stay here, maybe hide in the house, where we can see the garden from the window?"

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:39 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,It's about 2.30pm. Dusk falls at around 6pm. As well as Rooger's cottage, there is what looks like a tool shed behind the garden. Behind the cottage and the garden, the trees begin. Another track is visible, which heads in the direction of the mountain. It is possible to view the garden, the front path and the trees behind from the house.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"We have time to look around before his friends show up," says Alice. "We might as well use it."

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:23 am
by andyw666
Balzac nods agreement. "I think you are right Mlle, M. Rooger and his story of his so called friends seems very suspicious. I think a thorough search of his house and shed is called for, while he sleeps."

"If we plan to be here at dusk though, I will walk back to our vehicle for the shotgun and rifle. Last time, we had some protection from the farm house and we had a means to get rid of whatever it was in the house. Today, we have neither. I also wonder what is further up the trail to the mountain? But first things first, let us attack the searching."

Without further ado, Balzac walks over to the tool shed to start searching it.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:10 pm
by HoneyDog
Balzac,The shed mostly contains Rooger’s handyman and gardening tools. There are also a number of pots and empty glass bottles, along with what looks like house painting paraphernalia. The tools seem to be in good condition. In case Balzac is thinking of weapons, the most likely implement is Rooger’s axe, which is razor sharp. There is also a pick and some shovels, crowbars and saws. Balzac also spots a large Bowie knife.
andyw666,As Balzac exits the shed, he can roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:30 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Let's check out the house," Isadora says. "Care to join me?" she asks Alice.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Sure," says Alice, going inside with her.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:12 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora & Alice,The ladies go inside the house. Apart from the living room and kitchen, which they’ve already seen, the is a small bathroom with tub, toilet and washbasin. It is clean enough, yet neither of the ladies would probably want to linger there. Searching Rooger’s bedroom, which could also do with a clean, they find a pile of what can only be described as pornographic magazines, and clothes, including lots which are suitable for cold weather – padded jackets, long johns, fur hats etc. There isn’t really anything that would tell the companions anything about the nature of Rooger’s ‘friends’, and there is nothing to link him to Hodges. One useful item they locate is Rooger’s double-barrel 20-gauge shotgun, with a couple of boxes of shells.
OOC,Shall we assume that Henry goes with Balzac? I'll roll for him if necessary.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not much of interest here," says Alice, looking away from the magazines in disgust. "The shotgun may be needed, but I suggest we leave it where it is and don't touch it for now. We'll be inside when we watch his 'friends' arrive, so it will be near to hand if they turn out to be hostile."

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:29 am
by andyw666
OOC,Ever the inquisitive scientist, [b]Balzac's[/b] [i]SpotHid[/i] is 50% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Mais oui! Une critique!  

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:41 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac,[b]Balzac’s [/b]keen eye for plants notices that some of the vegetation behind the shed seems to be growing in an unnatural way, almost as if it has been arranged.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 am
by andyw666
Balzac is intrigued. "M. Henry, come and have a look at this strange growth."

He will go and carefully inspect the strange plant growth behind the shed, notebook anf magnifying glass in hand, trying to determine what the plants are and what odd pattern they are growing in.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:45 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac & Henry,Balzac discovers that the plants are just cover; camouflage masking a narrow entrance into the undergrowth. There is a small path leading into the trees.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 am
by andyw666
Balzac nods in interest. "I think we may need to alert the ladies." He goes to tell Alice and Isadora about the find before any further exploration.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:28 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora picks up one of the journals Alice discards, flips through the pages, then puts it down. "Well, both the writing and the art could use some more work," she says, blushing. "Besides, I don't think a private girls school would employ enough stable boys and gardener lads for that last scene."

"Let's join the others outside."

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora and Alice step outside in time to meet Balzac and Henry, who are excited about their discovery. Both parties discuss their discoveries, and decide to investigate the intriguing path.

Leading the way, Balzac forces his way through the vegetation which overhangs Rooger’s concealed path. After about five minutes of sweating and silent cursing, interrupted by swatting at the flies attracted by their sweat, the companions enter a small clearing. In the centre is a copper kettle, sitting upon the remains of a fire, from which a metal arm extends to another container. Surrounding this apparatus are various bits of metal plus a pile of firewood. A crate, containing a collection of about nine bottles filled with clear liquid can be seen. Several jugs are also placed around.
Discovery.jpg
Discovery.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 552 times

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:01 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Is this a... moonshine still?"

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've never seen one before," says Alice, "but that's sure what it looks like."

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:16 am
by andyw666
Balzac has a look at the equipment and the surrounding area just to confirm there is nothing more than a still.

"Prohibition leads to this, people brewing vile concoctions likely to stop their hearts or make them go blind. Well, if we have to coerce M. Rooger, we can always threaten to tell the authorities about this."

"Shall we foray up the trail that runs from the house towards the mountain? We could go a short way just to see what it's like."

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"As long as we can be sure of getting back to the house before it gets dark," says Alice.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:41 pm
by HoneyDog
The investigators return to the path and set off along it.

Although the surrounding vegetation encroaches in places the path is well- worn and easy to walk on. After about fifteen minutes it begins to incline. They are still heading in the direction of the mountain.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Should we turn back?" asks Alice. "The path goes on for quite a ways, and it could be a while before there's anything of interest."

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:31 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is a city dweller, but somehow now she enjoys being in the forest.

"Let's walk some more, I think we still have enough time."

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:48 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions continue along the path, which continues its slight incline. Estimating by the mountain's height and distance, it would probably take about three hours to reach the summit, if the track is still in it's present condition further on.

Birds sing and insects chirp; it is a pleasant afternoon.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:51 am
by andyw666
Balzac sighs. "Pleasant as this is, we are here for a reason. Perhaps now is time to return? I suggest we retrieve the other firearms from our automobile, and the flashlights. Then we could conceal ourselves and wait. What do you think?"

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:43 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Yes, let's get back to the house..."

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:51 am
by HoneyDog
The heroes return along the path back to the cottage and garden. Rooger is still passed out on the ground, snoring loudly. The time is almost 4pm, and the shadows are starting to lengthen. Balzac and the unusually quiet Henry fetch the supplies and weapons from the car, and the companions decide on the next step they will take.
OOC,You've got whatever you want from the car, so you should decide if there is anything else you need to do or get, and where to hide yourselves.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:26 am
by andyw666
Supplies,Feel free to suggest stuff I've missed but from the kit bought for and kept after the prior adventure, plus extras for Vermont, I believe the items brought from the car to Rooger's are as follows: Medical bag; Shotgun (12 gauge double barrel); Rifle (.30 lever action carbine); Ammunition for same; Map; Compass; Binos; Four flashlights. [b]Balzac[/b] also has his Colt Detective Special.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:30 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Where would you like to conceal yourselves?

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:33 am
by andyw666
Balzac regards Rooger. He whispers, "Normally, I would suggest carrying him to bed, but he seems happy enough there."

"We could conceal ourselves behind his shed along that path leading to his still, if we were confident he wasn't going to walk along it himself this afternoon. Odds seem in our favour as the day grows closer to dusk."

"On a different note, is anyone willing to carry the rifle or shotgun?"

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:36 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Cool. Once you're all decided, I'll speed things along and open a new thread.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:29 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,Does the shed have windows?

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,No. You might be okay behind the shed, or probably in the trees behind.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:10 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"I propose we hide in the trees behind the shed."

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:08 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Will you hide before Rooger wakes up?

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:42 am
by evil_scientist
OOC,I'd say so, yes. Let him think we left. If he remembers anything at all...

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:59 am
by andyw666
Balzac nods happily enough. "Mais oui."

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:37 pm
by HoneyDog
The heroes gather their gear and secrete themselves in the trees behind the shed, giving themselves a good view of the cottage and the mountain path, as the sun begins to sink behind the mountains. Making themselves as comfortable as they can, they await the coming dusk with strained nerves, wondering what the evening will bring.

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:43 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

If secrecy allows, Isadora practices her long-forgotten French with Balzac.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:39 am
by andyw666
French,The traditional popular request areas in need of work are contemporary in-vogue slang, swear words, and the language of passion. But Balzac doesn't want to embarrass Isadora...

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:40 am
by evil_scientist
French,Isadora spent a few years living in Paris, so Balzac is maybe surprised at the amount of profanities she'd picked up in the bohemian quarters!!
OOC,The new game thread is up! http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=415&t=6082