Chapter 2: The Investigation Begins

May, 1928. A journalist disappears in the midst of strange goings on in the mountains of Vermont. Was it a simple accident, or something else? A terrifying conspiracy is underway, and it is up to an intrepid band of investigators to stop it before hundreds of lives are lost.

Moderator: HoneyDog

innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Chapter 2: The Investigation Begins

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Glynn winks at McColl and whispers "Don't underestimate Mrs Carmichael."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

To Balzac McColl says "No, he didn't work from here, just dropped in his reports. He retired, but he’d cover stories relating to Jenning for us. Couldn’t get it out of his system, see. A real newshound.”

He turns to Isadora. “Well, these fires and the strange sounds people heard got quite a few of them spooked, but no-one found anything. Hodges was pretty determined to get to the bottom of it though. Yes, a real newshound” he says sadly. “As to the cause of the fires, your guess is as good as mine. Probably bored, no-good kids.”

McColl raises his eyebrows at Henry. Mrs. Carmichael might want to think about changing her dress if you want to visit Jenning. I don’t think the folks there approve of bohemian lifestyles.”
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"It's not every place that's as progressive as Brattleboro." smiles Henry
OOC:   How far is it to Jenning from here?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Jenning is about a 30 minute drive.  
"Well folks, I'm about to close up. Thanks for your concern about old Hodges, but the truth is we're not optimistic. Still, if you can help, we're grateful." McColl walks over to the door.
OOC:   Anymore questions for him?  
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac hesitates. "Ah, is there a Mme Hodges? We could perhaps call on her tomorrow to see if M. Hodges left any useful notes behind."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your help, Mr. McColl," says Alice. "Is anyone on the staff here close to Mr. Hodges?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

McColl

“Well, we all like and respect him. I’ve known him a long time. He wouldn’t disappear without reason, which is why I’m so pessimistic that something bad has happened to him. He’s an experienced woodsman who knows the area. Like I said, he probably fell into the river. He’s not as young as he used to be, after all.”
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Alas she passed some years ago Dr Balzac."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

McColl addresses Balzac. "Yes, he lived alone in his house in Jenning. The police searched it but there was nothing amiss. But they would have been looking for any evidence of foul play. If you folks are really determined to find Hodges, then you have my blessing. I'm sure the folks over in Jenning will help if they can, but I advise you to be respectful."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora hates the "do not like 'em fancy city folks 'round these parts" routine, but knows, that it'll be better to change to her working clothes before going to Jenning.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac looks at his colleagues. "Do we want to drive over to Jenning for a quick look this evening before dinner? Or shall we rest, ready to start early tomorrow?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should go to Jenning now and get our bearings," says Alice. "Then we won't have to spend as much time tomorrow morning before we start searching."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

As the companions walk back to the hotel to get their car, McColl hurries up to them.

Henry Glynn! I thought I’d heard the name before”.

He presses an envelope into Henry’s hands.

Hodges left this with me to mail, but with everything going on I couldn’t. It’s for you.”

He turns and leaves. Henry opens the envelope, while the others crowd around, curious at the contents. The letter is dated 5th June.
The letter,Dear Henry We haven’t spoken for a very long time, but I hope this letter finds you well. I’m very pleased for your success in being published, and wish you well. I have to admit not really being a fan of the occult, but your writing shows promise. It’s also the real reason for this letter. My current investigations are centered around some strange phenomena we’ve encountered here in Jenning. Fires on the mountain, and a kind of drumming in the night. I’m not given to flights of fancy, but I lately I could not shake the impression that there is something out of the ordinary happening here. There is a shadow hanging over the town, and indescribable sense of dread, which I could not account for. The feeling was not really supported by any evidence, but I could not help it. But just yesterday, I found a man who could offer some kind of information, but his tale is so wild, I can scarcely believe it. God, I must sound like a fool. You know me to be a rational man. But I’m reaching out for advice, and you are my best hope. Please, if you can spare the time, please come to me and meet with this man. I cannot say too much in this letter, but if you can come, all will be revealed. God speed, Bartley Hodges
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Goodness! I wonder who the man was and how we can find out?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I always keep meticulous notes," says Alice. "Any journalist worth his salt would too. We should check his home for them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac nods in agreement. "Let's drive over and have a look around tonight, come back tomorrow morning ready to go. All the equipment we bought last time is in the boot if needed."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions set off for Jenning as the sun begins to set, leaving them with about two hours of light. Jenning is located in the hills not far from Jenning’s Notch, where the west fork of the Windham River rushes through to join the Connecticut. Passing by, the heroes see where it is supposed that Hodges met his end – this stretch of the river is fast-flowing and very rocky. It is unlikely that anyone falling in could have survived.

Jenning itself consists of only a few hundred people. Entering the town, it is plain that while the buildings are neat and in good repair, the town is no longer prosperous, and has an aged feel.

Driving around, the investigators note a few public buildings – a grade school, a church, a general store, and a feed store. The stores are closed at this late hour. There are a few pedestrians on the street, and a few cars. It seems that the town is settling down for the night.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What is Mr. Hodges's address?" asks Alice. "We should at least drive by it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac considers. "Perhaps we could find a pay phone and look in the phone book? Or ask at the general store?"
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry leans out of the car and ask a friendly looking pedestrian:

"Say, do you know where Bartley Hodges' place is?"

Return to “The Madman”