Chapter 2: The Investigation Begins

May, 1928. A journalist disappears in the midst of strange goings on in the mountains of Vermont. Was it a simple accident, or something else? A terrifying conspiracy is underway, and it is up to an intrepid band of investigators to stop it before hundreds of lives are lost.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 2: The Investigation Begins

Post by HoneyDog »

Thursday 7th June

After a hearty breakfast, the companions set off on their journey to Brattleboro, with Balzac driving. It is a gloriously sunny day, and as they speed through the Massachusetts countryside they can be forgiven for thinking that they are on an excursion to enjoy scenic New England, instead of the rather more somber task of locating a missing man.

Rolling through quaint villages and hamlets, they stop for lunch at Athol, before turning onto Route 91 and heading north. They cross the state line into Vermont, and in late afternoon finally reach Brattleboro.
800px-BrattleboroFall_crop.jpg
Located in the Connecticut River Valley, many of the houses are clustered close together, giving it an intimate feel. There are many fine examples of colonial architecture going back to the town’s foundation after the French and Indian War. Isadora is pleased to spot a couple of art galleries nestled amongst the picturesque shops and churches.
Brooks_House_from_up_Main_Street.jpg
A particularly nice spot to stay seems to be Hotel Brooks. George has provided Isadora with plenty of pocket money, so this might be a nice option to stay should they choose to begin their investigations here.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 2: The Investigation Begins

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora makes a mental note to check out the galleries later, although she suspects that her peculiar style might be too much for local tastes. But you never know what or who lurks in small towns...

She proposes to take lodgings at the Hotel Brooks, then go out for supper.

"Maybe we can try to gather some information about the surroundings, then rise early tomorrow and start looking for the lost journalist? Although, I admit, I don't have an affinity for the wilderness."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"We should get along to the newspaper office and see what else they know."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's a good place to start," says Alice. "If there's an organized search effort, they'll know how we can join it too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Bartley's no fool. He must have been on to something solid."
OOC:   Is it too late to go to the newspaper office now or is it likely closed until morning?  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

innsmouth wrote:Henry Glynn

"Bartley's no fool. He must have been on to something solid."
"Does he have a family, relatives we could talk to? Or a secretary or a colleague, who might know what he was working on?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Lost his wife to influenza a few years back and his son is down in Baltimore I think. He had some close colleagues at the Tatler so that might be our best bet."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Is it too late to go to the newspaper office now or is it likely closed until morning?  
[/quote]
OOC:   HoneyDog says - its almost 5pm now. Let's assume you all checked into the hotel. If you don't mind waiting a bit longer for dinner, the newspaper office isn't far away. We can move the action to there.  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   Sounds good to me!  
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   Let's go there and discuss what we learn over dinner  
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,On the way out of town, [b]Balzac[/b] would have dragged the team to his garret to collect his various items of investigativeness, including the various firearms. Basically, all his possessions less the Webley, which is in Canada.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

A little way along Main Street are the offices of the Brattleboro Tattler. Peering through the windows, the heroes can see that the small reception area is deserted, but there is a light burning in the room beyond. The reception is covered by front page editions of the Tattler, recording significant events in the town’s history. While small, the offices are clean and well-kept

Opening the door triggers a bell, which soon brings forth a short man of around sixty years of age, wearing a wrinkled but fairly new suit, who eyes them curiously. He seems unfazed by Isadora’s unusual attire.

“We’re closed now folks” he tells them, but not in an unfriendly way. “Why not come back tomorrow?”
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Good day Sir, we're here about Bartley Hodges. He was friend of my father Henry Glynn Snr. We were hoping to speak to one of his close colleagues. Is anyone around? I can't quite remember any of the names. There was an Albert McLean I think, or was it McColl ..."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"McColl.That'd be me, editor of our little paper. Henry Glynn, eh? Name seems familiar to me." He rubs his chin thoughtfully.

"You'll be wanting the reward then? Well, where is he?" He pantomimes looking around the room in search of Hodges.

"Why'd you choose now to rekindle the old relationship Mr. Glynn?"

His tone is still mild, but he is obviously a little suspicious.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We've come to help look for him," says Alice. "We were hoping to find out more about his disappearance here so we'd know where exactly to start, and to see if there's any organized search effort."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

McColl mellows a little and looks at Henry. “A friend of your father’s you say? I see. But if you don’t know the area, it might be you we end up looking for! There are still some local parties with the police combing the area, but they’ll start to wind down. Bartley knew the area well and wouldn’t have just wandered off into the woods unprepared.”

He sighs and leans against the doorframe. “He worked for us here and after retiring settled in Jenning. He still contributed the odd story, as you know. A solid, reliable fellow. It’s awful to think so, but we thinking that as he likes to walk along Jenning’s Notch by the river there, mebbe he slipped in. If he did go anywhere particular, he didn’t tell anyone about it.”
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"I know the area a bit Mr McColl - my family is from just out of Newfane. Pretty little village right? Don't suppose you know what stories he was working on? The one about the fires maybe? My friends and I are keen to help - we didn't come for the money."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Oh sure! He was working on the fires alright. Not much else happening out in Jenning! But he definitely thought that there's something happening around that old mountain. I'm sure there must be a rational explanation though.

McColl glances over his shoulder. "He didn't say that much about it, and he didn't leave any notes here. Anyway, he's the type to want to have the whole picture before he starts to speculate. He's thorough like that."

He frowns and a shadow crosses his face. He is obviously upset and concerned.

"If you want to join the search then you should talk to the police. I don't think they'll have much use for you though." He looks at Isadora's attire doubtfully.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac doffs the bowler. "I wonder, Monsieur, if we might have a look at M. Hodges' desk, if he had one? Fresh eyes might see something new? We promise we will take nothing."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Just for the record: Isadora did bring some sensible clothing, to put on when she directs the setup of her exhibition in Burlington...

When McColl says "there must be a rational explanation", Isadora suppresses a smile and asks: "So there are many rumors and theories abound, of an irrational character?"

Return to “The Madman”