Chapter 1: A Disappearance

May, 1928. A journalist disappears in the midst of strange goings on in the mountains of Vermont. Was it a simple accident, or something else? A terrifying conspiracy is underway, and it is up to an intrepid band of investigators to stop it before hundreds of lives are lost.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 1: A Disappearance

Post by HoneyDog »

As the spring draws into summer, the world of 1928 seems quiet and lazy in the more rural parts of New England. In order to aid the recovery from the shock of seeing Mickey and Minnie Mouse together in their first animation, Plane Crazy, the Arkham Gazette begins to bring to the attention of their readers some unusual news from neighbouring Vermont in the shape of a report from the Brattleboro Tattler.

It is of particular interest to one Henry Glynn.
The Brattleboro Tatler.docx
(13.47 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Chapter 1: A Disappearance

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Alice, is the manuscript packaged up? Two copies? And the paper for the Theo-wotsit Society? So nice of Mrs Carmichael to invite me ... Say look at this in the Gazette ... a fire on Strafton Mountain! That's not far from where I grew up."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Henry, everything's ready," says Alice, organized and efficient as ever. "I didn't know you were from Vermont." She peers at the article.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

A couple of days later, a second article appears, presenting Alice with more opportunities to bring up Henry's origins.
The Brattleboro Tattler.docx
(13.06 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"I hope you'll be able to come to Boston for my reading Alice? You'll be pleased to see Mrs Carmichael again. We may even meet George. I was thinking to invite Dr Balzac now that he has recovered his wits. Do you think I should wear the blue suit or the grey one?"

Henry notices that Alice is carrying a newspaper.

"Say, anything interesting in the Gazette today?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, there's an article about another fire on that mountain in Vermont," says Alice, showing Henry the paper. "I'd be delighted to come to Boston for the reading. I've invested almost as much of myself into the book as you have, and it will be good to see the others again. I'm glad Dr. Balzac is doing better. I'd go with the blue suit. It's more lively, and the gray one is too somber. If you were doing a reading in the South, though, the gray one would go over better."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

These blissful ruminations are interrupted yet again by another perplexing story from Brattleboro.
The Brattleboro Tattler.docx
(13.19 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

The new season finds Balzac a rather more paranoid and darker person. Spending a month in an asylum, however well hushed up, has not aided his reputation at the Universite de Montreal. The only saving grace is his colleagues all thought him crazy already, and a certain amount of eccentricity is expected of the academics.

Balzac is convinced the best starting point for his new found "interest" is New England and so has rented a garret in the student district of Harvard, from which he can travel as required while maintaining his frequent academic visits to Miskatonic. Many weekends he has caught the train from Montreal to pursue leads. Balzac has become far less trusting and keeps the various firearms bought for The Farm in a locked chest in said garret. He has also visited a Boston gun shop and purchased one of the new snub-nosed little Colt "Detective Specials". Most convenient for slipping into a pocket.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry shows the latest article to Alice as they prepare to leave for Boston for the evening reading, Henry in his blue suit.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora's schedule as of late: 24 hours of sleep, followed by 24 hours of hectic work. Repeat cycle. She completed several major scale works, transforming her newly found nightmares into disturbing, yet intriguing paintings. Whirling shapes, flickering in and out of existence... In parallel, she is organizing the logistics and other necessary things for her exhibition at the Burlington Art Gallery in Vermont. And another item in her schedule is the upcoming reading of a chapter by Henry Glynn at the monthly meeting of the Theosophist book club. Luckily, for this one she only has to order some refreshments, cakes, and pick a dress to wear... After some consideration, she settles on a turquoise dress with white frill decoration, and her trademark patterns in the shoulder area (stitched in blue, almost blending in with the base color of the fabric).
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Monday 5th June

Place: The Theosophist Society of Boston

Although he is a little nervous and surrounded mostly by strangers, Henry's reading is a great success. The blend of mystery and occult in the story, reinforced by Henry’s heartfelt rendition, stirs the watching guests to great shows of emotion. Henry finds himself being feted for perhaps the first time in his writing career. He basks in the warm glow of adulation, and begins to feel a confidence which has been lacking in the previous few months. Several of the society express an interest in financing his manuscript.

Both Henry and Alice are invited by George Auden to stay on in Boston at his and Isadora’s home, in order to take advantage of the opportunities offered. They gladly accept.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"How kind of you to ask us to stay Mr Auden. How nice to see you again Mrs Carmichael. What a charming dress. Has anyone seen Dr Balzac? I took the liberty of inviting him."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Dr. Balzac? I haven't seen him yet, but maybe he is here, after all," Isadora says, scanning the crowded gathering room. People are moving towards the table with the refreshments or towards the exit, patting Henry on the shoulder on the way out.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Thank you so much for inviting me to read. I think it's been a tremendous success. I hope you enjoyed it. If you would indulge me as to which part you liked best I should be so grateful? Of course I couldn't have written it in half the time without Alice! But I hear you've been busy yourself? An exhibition in Vermont?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"As you might understand, I have a more... personal connection to this story, then the rest of the audience. As for the writing, I think it flows nicely, and this first chapter leaves me wanting to read further, which, I guess, is a good thing!"

Isadora smiles and shivers, remembering the occurrences in that house.

"Yes, I'm going to Vermont soon to examine the gallery space. I really have to see it first to finalize which pictures would fit there best!"
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"The bit where Verena steals the amulet ... Alice's idea!"

"Say, did you read about those strange fires up in Vermont?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"No, I don't really read the papers..."

She looks around quickly, and sees that her husband is busy talking to one of the Society's senior members a few steps away.

"Strange fires, you say? In what way strange?"
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry tells Isadora about the newspaper articles.

"Caught my attention - I'm from up that way. Just out of Newfane. Prettiest place you ever saw."

Henry moves on to speak with George Auden, leaving Isadora and Alice together.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

The story about strange flames (no doubt shining even brighter in Henry's retelling) catches Isadora's attention. Maybe the image resonates with her artistic sensibilities: uncanny fires on a dark mountainside...

"I will keep my eyes peeled while I'm there!"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

George Auden finally disengages himself from the guests and joins the companions.

"A great success Mr. Glynn! My congratulations. Shall we return home? I still have some beer if you'd like to celebrate."

He looks around.

"Did your friend Dr. Balzac attend?"

Return to “The Madman”