Chapter 1: A Disappearance

May, 1928. A journalist disappears in the midst of strange goings on in the mountains of Vermont. Was it a simple accident, or something else? A terrifying conspiracy is underway, and it is up to an intrepid band of investigators to stop it before hundreds of lives are lost.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 1: A Disappearance

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice is wearing a little black dress, now that the weather is starting to get warmer. She is pleased to accept the invitation. "I like your dress too," she says. "How have you been, Isadora?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac pays the taxi driver and steps out, double checking the address with that in his notebook. The Theosophist Society? Well, you never know... Did I miss the reading? One can only hope.

Balzac is in his usual slightly battered suit and bowler, but the last few months appear to have aged him somewhat faster than they should. Pausing to light a Gauloises, he ambles inside and scans the crowd for his colleagues, noting in passing any attractive ladies among the seekers after esoteric truths (or at least Mr Glynn's pulp fiction).
Balzac 2.JPG
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Here he is now! Balzac you devil - you've missed the whole thing! How have you been? Have you met Mr George Auden?"

Aside to Balzac "We're off to George's place on promise of beer!"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Dr. Balzac! So good to see you again!"

Isadora wonders: wouldn't Henry's story re-trigger poor Balzac's trauma?

"Yes, do join us!"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions enjoy a convivial evening of beer and conversation. They are happy to be together again, although George’s presence puts a hold on any full-blown reminiscences. He is pleased though to see Isadora relaxing in the company of friends, a big change compared to the restlessness she showed after her return from Arkham.

The next couple of days are spent visiting the sights of Boston and enjoying the early summer weather. Henry is contacted by the editor of a local publishing house, which while not particularly large, is well-respected and willing to negotiate.

These pleasantries are disturbed however, by an article in Thursday’s Arkham Gazette, which Isadora orders especially.
The Brattleboro Tattler.docx
(13.48 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Goodness!" exclaims Alice. "That poor man! I had no idea he was that old, and up on that mountain by himself. I hope they find him all right."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac, staying on in Boston for a few days for alleged botanical research, routinely scans copies of the Arkham Gazette among other publications for indications or hints of this new science he is keen to pursue. The articles from the 'Tattler' are starting to intrigue him.

Balzac strolls down to the Western Union office and telegrams the Gazette, asking if there are any updates on the missing reporter and if it has any further information it can share, expressing an interest in helping find the man.

Then he'll use a pay phone to telephone Isadora, to see if she has seen the articles.
OOC,Assuming she has a telephone, if not he'll send a note by Western Union messenger boy.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Is it somebody you know?" asks Isadora when Alice and Henry show her the article.

The Carmichael-Auden estate has a telephone, and Balzac is invited to come over any time he wants to discuss the case.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"A dear friend of my late father Henry Snr. If only there was something I could do to help!"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Balzac learns from the Gazette that search parties comprised of locals and the Windham County Constabulary haven’t found anything yet. It’s a large area, and is still mostly unsettled.

George reacts with concern about Henry’s statement; he has a great sense of loyalty.

“How terrible!” he says. “What can we do to help?”
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Maybe I should head up there and lend a hand with the search. If only I had transport ..."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

innsmouth wrote:Henry Glynn

"Maybe I should head up there and lend a hand with the search. If only I had transport ..."
This is Isadora's cue!

"Well, I'm renting a lorry to take two of my large scale works, Imago I and Imago II, and several smaller pieces to Vermont tomorrow. Some of us can sit by the driver in the cabin, or travel next to the pictures."
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"How good of you Mrs Carmichael. I'd be more than happy to slot in between the Imagos!"

To Alice:

"I suppose you'll want to return to Arkham?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Nonsense!” cries George. “You can use our touring car. We don’t have need of it right now, my work prevents us from getting away”.

George waves away any protests.

“I insist! It’s only sitting in the garage at the moment. You can accompany the paintings in comfort, and check on your friend”.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Why would I want to go back?" asks Alice. "I'd like to do what I can to help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac appears at Isadora and George's door, clutching a bag of Boston's best sweet pastries, with several pertinent copies of the Arkham Gazette and a map of Vermont under his arm. A cab can be seen driving off.

"Bonjour mes amies! I come bearing gifts and mysteries. Anyone feel like a drive to Vermont?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   What would you like to do then? Will you set off and accompany the paintings? Or would you like to go a different route? Where would you like to head first? It might depend on the location that Isadora's paintings need to be delivered to.  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   Isadora's exhibition is in Burlington.
I think it's best to take the family touring car, paint it green and turquoise, drive to Burlington,
then to Brattleboro.

Who will drive?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Looks like quite a detour!  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   Indeed! Then let's go to Battleboro first, as time is important. Then later on Isadora will join her lorry in Burlington.  

Return to “The Madman”