5. The Cooper House

It hurts – oh God it hurts. And it’s so dark. If only you can straighten your leg or move your arm...

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

5. The Cooper House

Post by Priest »

5. The Cooper House

The journey from the Baker’s farm to the Cooper House is relatively short yet there is nothing familiar in the journey, nothing that sparks any memories of having been here before. The house itself is a short distance from the road up a weed choked dirt path that acts as a driveway, and if not for the for sale sign planted drunkenly at the entrance to the drive might have been missed. Little more than a collapsing ruin the house is surrounded to its flanks and rear by a sea of tall, thick cornstalks. Just to its rear and barely visible is a single story barn, which from what can be seen as you approach may be in better condition than the house itself. The house looks the picture of a haunted house, even in daylight you can’t resist a shudder. The outside of the house is painted a sick shade of blue, though mostly it has become chipped and faded by time, every window you can see has been boarded up, while the front door hangs open, as if in invitation.

As you approach the house you can easily see where a vehicle had churned the dirt of the driveway recently. It seems someone had been in haste to leave...
Attachments
cooper house photo.png
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: 5. The Cooper House

Post by evil_scientist »

Simon Quispe

Simon examines the tracks - he can probably tell whether they were left by a normal sized car, or by a van.

Then he scans the surroundings, taking in the vast cornfield. "Corn... That King guy, your favorite author, doesn't he have a book about that too? Damn..."

"Let's check out the barn first,"
he proposes, unwilling to enter the house right away.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah," says Gracie, also wishing to delay entering the house. She too looks at the tracks, comparing them to the van's tire treads to confirm that they match.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Gracie and Simon spend a moment looking at the tyre tracks, which despite the recent rain still remain. The pattern seems to correspond with that of the van, with one set marking an ordinary unhurried arrival and the other a hasty departure, so hasty that ruts have been carved in the dirt where the wheels had spun as the van had accelerated hard towards the road. Then Simon switches his attention to the barn, showing little desire to face the house’s open door with its shadowed entrance hall beyond.

Although the barn looks, superficially, as if it is better preserved than the house, it is an illusion that is quickly dispelled. Double doors look as if they might fall if opened and the roof looks as if it is only held up by prayer. Simon quickly decides that entry there would result in disaster.
Gracie,[i]Your vision fades to black and you feel cold as if somewhere underground. The damp chill of subteranea pervades your being. You look around you but can see nothing, a voice calls, [color=#0040FF]“Turn on some damn lights”[/color] sounds like [b]Hippo’s[/b] voice but with an edge of fear. Your fingers trace the familiar feel of a light switch, you gently touch the on off switch. Part of you wants to turn the light on, but a deeper part of you fears what it might reveal. Ignoring your beating heart and the cold sweat that trickles down your spine you flick the switch...[/i] Beside you the team’s young trainee camera operator and general gofor, [b]Simon Quispe[/b], has moved towards the barn. Behind you the other members of your TV family climb warily from the van...
Attachments
Cooper House map.png
- Anais Nin
Hank Hankins
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Hank Hankins »

Rutiger Paddington

I pick up a pebble and throw it at the barn, to see if it will collapse.
With extra tentacles, please.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Hippo

Hippo trudges after Simon in the direction of the barn.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Todd Guzman

Still in the van, Todd rummages around in the back for anything he can find that might be useful in exploring that house -- a flashlight or two, recording equipment, maybe even a weapon of some kind since he still has a very bad feeling about this place given all the creepy stuff they've learned.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Karl Anderson

Karl approaches the barn and has a careful look inside..
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I remember this place," says Gracie, pausing. "It's like deja vu all over again. It was dark when were here before. I turned on my flashlight, but I was afraid what I might see. I remember Simon led the way towards the barn with the camera, and then the rest of you got out of the van. Those tracks are definitely from the first time we were here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

]Simon, Karl and Hippo walk carefully towards the barn, reluctance dragging their steps although none of them are aware of why it should. Although the pebble thrown by Rutger has no effect on the structure, the sudden clattering noise has a startling one on the group.

A single window, it glass still intact if grime and dirt covered, allows a obscured look within. Other than rubbish, mostly having fallen from the timber roof supports, and shadows, the barn looks empty and long disused.

Rummaging amongst the van’s contents, Todd finds a case marked ‘flashlights’, empty it appears to have held two large flashlights along with batteries. Swallowing his disappointment, he continues his search eventually finding the van’s tool set. Mostly spanners and wheel changing tools there is a short prybar, he lifts it up its solidity making him feel better.

The front door to the house looks as if it's waiting in anticipation for your attention. Through it you can see little but shadows...

[attachment=0]105915682.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
105915682.jpg
105915682.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I guess we have to go inside," says Gracie, gulping. "Again."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Hank Hankins
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Hank Hankins »

Rutiger Paddington

I throw a few pebbles through the door.
With extra tentacles, please.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Todd Guzman

Carrying the prybar, Todd joins the others at the door. "The flashlights were missing from the van. I'm guessing we left them inside. You think maybe we should check around the back before going in?"
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Hippo

Hippo pushes the barn doors, which look like they are about to collapse.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sure," says Gracie. Anything to delay going inside a little longer.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Hippo pushes at the barn doors producing an ominous rumble from the barn structure, it seems that it is not only the doors that are close to collapse, he feels sure that a good push will bring the whole lot crashing down, and that it might only be the doors that are holding the building up.

The rear of the building proves as uninspiring as the front, the same sick blue painted walls as badly in need of maintenance as those at the front. Windows all securely boarded as is the rear door set within a sagging rear porch. What may have once been a garden is now little more than a weed infested dirt patch crowded by the close proximity of the thick corn and the sad remains of a once white fence. At various points stands of trees can be seen, those to the east and south being the closest of any size.
OOC:   All those going to the rear of the house please make POW rolls (the lower the better).  
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Todd Guzman

Todd gazes around uncertainly at the desolate area.
Spoiler:
POW roll[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Gracie works up her courage as she ventures behind the house.
OOC,POW roll (70% stat) behind the house: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Karl Anderson

Karl listens for any pebble related action inside the front door.

"Ok, who's going in first?" He looks around for any volunteers.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Simon Quispe

Simon nods and goes to the rear of the house with the team.

POW 80
[dice]0[/dice]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner

Return to “Forget Me Not - CoC 7th Ed. Modern Era”