5. The Cooper House

It hurts – oh God it hurts. And it’s so dark. If only you can straighten your leg or move your arm...

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: 5. The Cooper House

Post by Priest »

At the front of the house Karl hears the pebbles tossed by Rutiger rattle inside the shadowy entrance hall. Nerving himself he glances around as if delaying the moment.

To the rear Gracie suddenly feels a churning within her stomach, for a brief moment the pain is intense almost driving her to her knees. Then after a bout of dry heaves that threaten sickness but produce nothing, the pain is gone and the feeling of nausea nothing more than a memory. Both Todd and Simon look on unable to do anything to assist...
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Gracie clutches her stomach and squeezes her eyes shut. "That was worse than what I felt when I woke up from my nightmare," she says with a shudder. "For a second I'd thought it was real and there actually were those awful worms inside me...that's impossible, right?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Todd Guzman

"Right," Todd replies. "Except ... I felt something like that when we were drinking coffee at the farmhouse after the accident yesterday, too. Whatever happened to us inside this house wasn't good. But I guess we have no choice but to go in. Maybe if we can find Lyn and our stuff we'll get our memories back." He heads back around to join the others at the front door. Since they seem to be hesitating he steps toward the entrance and calls out, "Lyn? Are you in there?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

As Todd moves towards the open, if uninviting, front door his questioning voice draws no response, if Lyn is within she is not answering. Drawing closer the shadows inside reveal a hallway leading towards stairs. To the left and right of the front door there are closed doors. The state of this hallway, the layers of dust and cobwebs hanging thickly from the corners seems to be at odds with the brightly painted for sale sign that you had seen by the road. In the dust of the entrance hall you can see a myriad of footprints coming and going in all directions, the freshest seem to be going in and out of the door to your right...
Todd,You have been here before, you feel the recognition. Part of you wants to turn and run, you can feel ice cold sweat trickling down your spine. You stare down at your hands, where is the video camera that has over the years become a virtual extension of them?
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Gracie tries to fight her fear and reluctantly follows Todd. Whatever has happened to them, the answers are in that house, and going inside is the only way to find them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Todd Guzman

Todd points out the door to the right which looks like it has seen recent activity and starts forward, somehow knowing he has been in this situation before. He stops at a sudden idea, takes out his phone and dials Lyn's number. They tried to phone her before without an answer: maybe if Lyn's phone is in here somewhere they will hear it ringing.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Hippo

Hippo tries to peer into the barn.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Simon Quispe

Simon tags along with the rest of the team and enters the house.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Hank Hankins
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Hank Hankins »

Rutiger Paddington

"It's pretty obvious we were here before, and we're the ones who previously ran away from whatever was in this house. Let's be prepared. Do we have any weapons?"

I nervously lick my hand and pass it through my hair. I pocket a few pebbles before entering, which I will randomly throw around inside the house to see if anything reacts to that.
With extra tentacles, please.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Simon looks around for a possible "weapon" - a 2x4 plank, a metal pipe, anything.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Hippo, You are able to see much of the barn’s interior through the windows. But other than heaps of rubble and other rubbish the barn looks empty. Yet in the deep shadows beyond the range of the dirt encrusted windows, did something move? Something that scuttled and crawled like some kind of spider?

Everyone else, As you move through the doorway you feel the temperature drop markedly as if you had just stepped into a freezer. Not certain if this is but an illusion created by fear or some real phenomenon you move on. The sound of Rutger idly fondling his pocket full of pebbles sounds loud in the oppressive silence.
Todd stops and reaches for his cell phone. He accesses a number which like Rutger’s pebbles make a sound far louder than expected, or wanted. For a short while you can hear it dialling without reply, then it cuts to voicemail, an electronic voice asking you to leave a message after the tone. At no stage have you heard any indication of ringtone nearby, although given the silence that seems to hang over the building it is quite likely that had Lyn’s phone been within you would have heard it.
Simon, although the hallway is thick with dust and showing little sign of maintenance there is nothing that you can see which might prove useful as a weapon. However you find your attention drawn to a piece of white card on the floor of the hallway some three feet from the entrance door. The small rectangular business card is clean and unmarked by dirt making it look incongruous in this hallway, unless it had been recently dropped. In gold script it reads, ‘Vanessa Volker Realty’, W. Vienna Street, Clio. A name and address that matches that on the ‘For Sale’ sign by the road.

Inside the dusty hallway there are the two doors and further in a set of stairs leading up into a deeper darkness.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't have a weapon," says Gracie, "unless you count my sassy attitude. Let's try the door to the right first. It looks like that's where we went."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Apolgies. It is the left hand door that shows evidence of recent activity. My bad :oops:  
The door opens easily on obviously well-oiled hinges, which strikes you odd as it jars with the lack of maintenance elsewhere. The first thing you notice is all the equipment neatly stacked in the left hand corner of the far wall next to a boarded up window. Lighting rigs, reels of audio cable, alongside a portable drinks cooler.

To your left, as you stand in the doorway, is another larger boarded up window, you guess that it would look out over the front garden. In front of that window sits the tattered remains of a sofa, its sagging appearance indicates the fact the much of its stuffing has been removed probably by foraging animals. A broken coffee table rests on three legs to it front, the top as covered in dust as elsewhere, although myriads of tiny footprints give evidence to the nature of the house’s most recent occupants.

To your right, two more closed doors are set equidistant in the right had wall probably accessing rooms to the rear of the house.

In the centre of the room a half opened pack of sandwiches is abandoned.

The floor of the room shows evidence of recent comings and goings, footprints in the dust show a definite trail to and from the equipment from the door where you stand.
Rutger,as everyone crowds the door to what was obviously a sitting room, an icy shiver runs down the length of your spine. Glancing over your shoulder there is nothing just the opposite doors, closed of course.
Todd,it seems that the sight of the cooler has had an effect on you. For a moment sweat breaks out across your forehead and a burning pain explodes in your throat, as if something too big to swallow was sliding downwards. Then as quickly as it began, it is gone. Leaving only the memory of the pain...
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Todd Guzman

Todd clutches at his throat but the sudden horrible choking sensation is gone. With a shudder he goes to inspect the water cooler, wondering if they had all been poisoned, the water contaminated.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Looks like we left in a hurry," says Gracie, looking around the room. "We even dropped our sammiches."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Priest wrote:However you find your attention drawn to a piece of white card on the floor of the hallway some three feet from the entrance door. The small rectangular business card is clean and unmarked by dirt making it look incongruous in this hallway, unless it had been recently dropped. In gold script it reads, ‘Vanessa Volker Realty’, W. Vienna Street, Clio. A name and address that matches that on the ‘For Sale’ sign by the road.
Simon picks up the card and shows it to the others. "Can this be of any importance?" he wonders aloud. "Maybe this realtor told us about this haunted house in the first place?"

He walks over to the first door to the right, and slowly opens it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, we could go see her later," says Gracie. "I mean again. We interviewed her yesterday."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Karl Anderson

Is there a telephone number on the card? If so, Karl tries to ring it using his cellphone. He also stands behind Simon and peers through the door as he opens it.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Again the door swings open easily on well-oiled hinges revealing a square shaped room with a boarded window to your left, which you imagine would overlook the front garden, a door straight ahead in the opposite wall and another to your right. Again the room looks in desperate need of maintenance, dust covers the floor along with torn and stained carpet that looks as if it had seen beter days long ago. Several half fixed shelves along with many others that have fallen from the walls hint to the nature of this room, as do a few abandoned books scattered around the room. A marked trail of footprints make their way to the right hand door, which is slightly ajar as if in invitation.

Todd, The cooler in front room is full of water, no doubt from melted ice,in which float several cans of warm soda and energy drinks. None of the cans are open, nor are there any empty cans nearby.

Karl, there is a telephone number. After a few seconds a female voice answers, “Hi Vanessa Volker Realty, Vanessa speaking how can I help you?” The voice is rich and cultured and for some reason strikes a memory chord...
OOC:   Everyone, at this point could you all roll LUCK please.  
- Anais Nin
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   Not sure if you need Luck for Hippo as he is still outside near the barn but will do a roll anyway  
Spoiler:
Hippo Luck 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Return to “Forget Me Not - CoC 7th Ed. Modern Era”