4. "We've been here before"

It hurts – oh God it hurts. And it’s so dark. If only you can straighten your leg or move your arm...

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

It doesn’t take long to retrace the drive to where the accident had occurred the previous evening. Even after the rain of the night evidence of where the van had left the road and ended up in the ditch is more than obvious from the shards of smashed bodywork occupying the site.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Hank Hankins
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: 4. "We've been here before"

Post by Hank Hankins »

Rutiger Paddington

I search through the area, just in case.

Why aren't we at the police station, though? I think.
With extra tentacles, please.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

During the ride, Gracie continues her search online.
OOC,Five rolls (70% chance) searching for more on the [b]Cooper House[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] [dice]4[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Karl Anderson

Karl helps Rutiger search the accident scene, looking for any sign of what could have caused them to come off the road - Yellow Signs & suchlike.

Deep down, he thinks they are only going to get answers at the Cooper House.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Todd Guzman

Todd uses the camera on his phone to take some photos of the scene.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Hippo

Hippo looks again at the tracks and puzzles as to how he could have lost control of the van.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Other than the remnants of the accident there is little to be seen.
Rutiger Paddington, hands thrust in his jacket’s pockets, wanders about kicking the odd piece of grass obviously uninterested in what’s going on.

Gracie Gunn, still inside the van, continues her online search.
Gracie,[i]“In March, 1948, three local men (James Steely, Thomas Drake, John Drake) disappeared. Thomas’ wife claimed that the trio planned to break into the McCumsey house to look for Edmund’s rumoured secret vault. It was thought in the town that the McCumsey family had money, and it was widely assumed that the German “bunker builders” (as they had become known) that Edmund had hired had built him a secret vault underneath his home, in which to hide his wealth. The McCumsey family was questioned and their house was searched. A day later, all three men came home, filthy and “confused” about the previous 48 hours. It was determined that all three men drank themselves into a stupor, as they were wont to do.” "In October 1948, one of the McCumsey daughters, Rebecca, age 10, dies. No certificate of death can be found. The following month, Deborah returns to England with her last surviving child. Edmund stays behind in Clio." "In February 1951, after no one can recall having seen the reclusive Edmund McCumsey for months, police go out to his house but find no trace of the man. They remark that the place looked to have not been lived in for quite some time." "In 1955, after sitting empty for years, the McCumsey house is purchased by John Cooper. Cooper also purchases the surrounding land and turns the place into a family operated farm.”[/i] Separate searches give you the following info; [i]“In April, 1948, John Drake dies. Two weeks later, James Steely dies. Two days after that, his wife is institutionalized and their children become wards of the state. One week later, Thomas Drake and his family die in a house fire. No cause for the fire is listed.”[/i] [ooc]I will put the findings in the Handout section later.[/ooc]
Karl Anderson sees nothing that connects with his strange dream of the previous night.

Todd Guzman takes a couple of photos but there is little to see.

Hippo looks around, even walking back up the road some yards, but he can see no reason for why he would have lost control of the van. There is a bend, but it is very gentle and would have proved little problem, and If there had been a stray animal perhaps, no sign remains. Whatever the cause it seems as though Todd had called it right, the tell-tale marks of heavy braking, still obvious despite the rain, shows that the van must have been going too fast, but why?
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Gracie shows the others the articles she has found. "These three guys who went to the house in 1948 came back with what could be amnesia," she says, "though it was chalked up to drunkenness. They also all died not long after." She shivers.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Todd Guzman

"This is all starting to feel like something out of one of those Stephen King books we were talking about last night," Todd mutters. "I say we go see this police chief we were supposed to have interviewed yesterday."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Gazing around you the landscape offers little inspiration. The land is flat, endless fields of ripening crops broken by the odd wood or two. Away to the south-west the shape of the Baker farm, looking different in the cold light of day further to the east of the farm you can see a lone tractor moving through a field of maize that reaches to a dark wood.
- Anais Nin
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Karl Anderson

Karl continues to wonder about the Yellow Sign. He has played Call of Cthulhu several times, but didn't think much to it, preferring the rough and tumble of Tunnels & Trolls. He's beginning to feel like some kind of post-modern nerd who is banging his head against the Fourth Wall. Had he seen the Yellow Sign in some obscure scenario book? Was it the strange esoteric design on his laptop?

He looks around at his companions. Who are these guys? Best not to trust anyone..
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The only problem with going to the police is what do we tell them?" asks Gracie. "What do we say when we're asked where and when we last saw Lyn? We all have amnesia and don't remember? If I didn't know better, I wouldn't have believed that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Todd Guzman

"Well, how about we go see the Bakers again since their farm is just over there? The interview list says a Baker family are the only ones who declined.
Like Karl said before, maybe they're the same ones and maybe they know something about this Cooper House. Like where it is, for a start."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

It takes little more than a couple of minutes to drive from the accident scene to the Bakers farm, not like the long, uncomfortable walk of the previous evening. Parking the van out front you make your way to the house, as you pass the kitchen window you can see Martha Baker busy rolling pastry. She notices you and moves toward the front door wiping her hands clean as she does. Moments later the front door opens and she gives you a quizzical look, “Yeah?”
- Anais Nin
Hank Hankins
Layman
Layman

Post by Hank Hankins »

Rutiger Paddington

"Now we're going to ask you a bunch of questions, and we want to have them answered immediately." I say.

These folks were hiding something from us, I think.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Please," adds Gracie with a friendly smile. She isn't sure why Rutiger is being hostile, but she doubts it will be effective.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Todd Guzman

"Uh, we were just wondering if you knew anything about the Cooper House," Todd says diplomatically. "It looks like we may have been scheduled to interview you folks yesterday for our TV show and we think it may have had something to do with our accident."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At Rutger’s tone and harshness, Martha Baker is visibly taken aback. A paleness washes across her face, and for a moment it seems she might actually faint. However the softer approach of Todd seems to bolster her strength, although she eyes all of you with a guarded look.
“The Cooper House? I know little of that place, best you speak with Dave” As she finishes her sentence he appears at her shoulder, his face though slightly reddened with anger shows the same paleness that was obvious in Matha’s features. It is obvious that the Baker’s know more about this place.
OOC:   I shall be absent for the coming week, so will pick up the story after next Saturday (8th July)  
- Anais Nin
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

OOC:   I'll be in rural France til Monday 10th July with very limited internet access. May be able to make the odd post on my phone but please feel free to NPC my character in the meantime  
Hank Hankins
Layman
Layman

Post by Hank Hankins »

Rutiger Paddington

I fold my arms and wait for Dave to say something.

If he appears to be scared of me, I will maintain a forced smile and do my best to appear friendly and relaxed.

Return to “Forget Me Not - CoC 7th Ed. Modern Era”