[IC - CHAPTER TWO] An Unexpected Journey (Kurt, Andreas)

March, 1945: the forces of the Axis are falling back on all fronts. After half a decade of bloodshed and destruction, the end of the war is finally approaching. Yet, unknown to the Allies, the enemy has one more ace up their sleeve. A routine investigation of an abandoned submarine base leads to the discovery of a massive Nazi secret operation in Antarctica. As the Allies gather whatever forces they can divert to this new front of the war, a desperate race against time begins in the heart of the frozen continent, one last clash under the shadow of the Mountains of Madness to thwart this final plot of horror and madness.

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

[IC - CHAPTER TWO] An Unexpected Journey (Kurt, Andreas)

Post by Overlord87 »

7 May, 1945. RAF Hawkinge, near Dover.
You arrive at the air base early in the morning of a clear day of may. The order arrived just a couple of days ago, barely the time to prepare what you needed for the journey. Southern Atlantic, of all places. With all the talk on the upcoming assault on Fortress Europe, you surely weren't expecting to be assigned so far from the front. Still, the order was signed by no less than Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd - veteran explorer of Antarctica, first man to view both of the polar ice caps. Such an order, coming from so high in the command chain, it's definitely more than enough to stir your curiosity.

You two meet at the entrance base. A slightly overweight academic and a mediterranean - greek? spanish? certainly not italian - military. A stern-looking sergeant calls your names: "Kurt M. Donnely? Andreas Vaslopoulos?" , he waits for confirmation before adding: "Follow me". He leads you to a military car and signals you to get on board, as he takes the driver seat and ignites the engine.
OOC:   You can start introducing your investigators ;)  
loke
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

Re: [IC - CHAPTER TWO] An Unexpected Journey (Kurt, Andreas)

Post by loke »

Andreas is the mediterranean, short and slender with British uniform He wears a tool vest and the insignia of an engineer, as well as a standard riftle, side arm, and a trunk on his shoulder.

«Aye, sergeant,» he says, saluting, «I am Andreas.» The accent is as Mediterranean as he looks. Recognisable, but not likely to hamper communication. Quickly, he follows the sergeant who seems to be rushing.

Presumably, Kurt and Andreas have travelled together. Andreas has introduced himself as being from Thessaloniki, in Greece, but he came to England just before the war to study engineering. «But I am more use in the field, than in college, I think,» he says ruefully.
MDPLISKIN
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by MDPLISKIN »

“It’s funny. I would say I’m the opposite. Although a good friend did teach me how to shoot a Luger during my first assignment before leaving the states.” Kurt Replies.

He throws his bags on the car while keeping his leather satchel on his person close by.

“I wonder if they’ve found an enemy research base down here. That’s usually why they send me”, he says with excitement in his eyes.
His expression quickly shifts back to something more formal as he follows up, “The Allies will want a thorough record and explanation of course. Mr. Andreas, I see you’re no stranger to electrical engineering. Correct?”
loke
Layman
Layman

Post by loke »

«That is true. Repairs is what they usually send me for, be it electric or mechanical. If not, they want me to blow it up,» he answers with a grin. «If it needs shooting, they usually send somebody else. I take it, you do not know any more than I do, about this assignment.»
MDPLISKIN
Layman
Layman

Post by MDPLISKIN »

"Not any more than you. At this moment, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. In any case, if you need an assistant in tinkering or repairs, I carry a masters degree in electrical chemistry. It has always been a passion in addition to my work with the military."
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The sergeant stops the car near a large hangar: "End of the ride, gentlemen. There's an airplane ready inside to carry you to HMS Atlantic Isle", he stops to scratch his head, "God knows why. You'll receive further orders once you arrive there". He stops again. "It'll be a long journey", he adds finally, as a farewell of sorts.
OOC:   I suggest you choose a color four your character's spoken parts :D  
loke
Layman
Layman

Post by loke »

Electrical chemistry? That's how you make batteries, isn't it? Interesting.

OK, sergeant. Thank you. Andreas scratches his head and looks around as he leaves the car. As the sergeant leaves, he turns to Kurt. Well, we had better get inside, haven't we? I wonder if we have the right equipment for this excursion. I fear this may be very different from anything I have ever done before ...
MDPLISKIN
Layman
Layman

Post by MDPLISKIN »

"In my experience, you never can tell what they're throwing at us here." I follow along with him.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

You board the airplane, that takes off just a few minutes later. It's a long, long and definitely uncomfortable journey. You can barely relax and sleep, and the food is the worst the army can offer. After more than 24 hours of hell, finally, the airplane starts its descent towards the airbase of HMS Atlantic Isle, your final destination. The aircraft lands without issues, and as you disembark, you get ready to discover why in the world you were sent in this far and forgotten corner of the world.

Return to “Assault on the Mountains of Madness”