[IC - Chapter One] We Are Not Alone

March, 1945: the forces of the Axis are falling back on all fronts. After half a decade of bloodshed and destruction, the end of the war is finally approaching. Yet, unknown to the Allies, the enemy has one more ace up their sleeve. A routine investigation of an abandoned submarine base leads to the discovery of a massive Nazi secret operation in Antarctica. As the Allies gather whatever forces they can divert to this new front of the war, a desperate race against time begins in the heart of the frozen continent, one last clash under the shadow of the Mountains of Madness to thwart this final plot of horror and madness.

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: [IC - Chapter One] We Are Not Alone

Post by Overlord87 »

The submarine's interior is humid and cold, entirely a different climate than the cavern outside. The air feels oily, sticky. The sensation is unpleasant, and especially for Stogie and Oliver, with their clothes still wet from swimming in the sea, particularly uncomfortable.
The corridor extends in both directions for several meters, with half a dozen doors and other passages that you can see. The place looks like a maze, but at least there is no sign of imminent danger in sight.
Oliver and Stogie,You lose 1 more Health.
Military Doctrine,With a successful roll, you can quickly locate the command room and other spots of interest. Otherwise, you'll have to wander around until you get lucky.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,Stogies Military Doctrine is 10% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oliver has a good idea of where to find what they need.
OOC,Military Doctrine roll (5% base skill) to navigate the sub: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Military Doctrine 05%,[dice]0[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Oliver tries to remember the layout of the submarine they used to get here, and he opes that it might be similar, at least in principle, for all existing submarines - or at least for this one. It turns out they are not so different. After a few minutes of exploration, the group reaches the command room of the submarine. The room is a mess - apparently, when the Germans abandoned the submarine, they did all they could to render it inoperable. All navigation and control instruments have been damaged or even removed, and even without considering the huge hole in the hull, this submarine would never be able to sail in its current state.

Then you notice a very strange device, like no other you've seen before. It is spherical in shape, about fifty centimeters of diameter, with lots of gauges and dials with no apparent purpose. The device is clearly a later addition to the command room, and was riveted to the inner bulkhead. It is unlabeled, although you notice that it has been placed near other navigation instruments, suggesting a similar use. While the device is scratched and dented here and there, it seems it was robust enough to survive the attentions of the retreating nazis.
Successful Electrical Repair or Navigate Roll,The device most definitely is a navigation instrument. You are not sure about its specific use, but it is definitely not for standard underwater operations.
Electrical or Mechanical Repair (no roll needed),The device is more or less structurally intact, and probably usable with minor repairs (assuming its use can be understood). Still, at least a day of work would be required to remove it from its current position without damaging it.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Electrical Repair 10%,[dice]0[/dice] KP, I want to spend 18 luck to make my roll a success.
Amadeus was no expert on machinery, but he had some experience with navigational devices in his past. However, he was still quite certain that this object wasn’t meant to be used for underwater navigation...regardless of its intended purpose, it would certainly prove to be an object of interest. “Folks, methinks zis iz a navigation device, not zure vhat zis vould ve used fer, but I think ve could get it out and take it.”

A spark of greedy light lit up within his eyes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, we must salvage it," says Oliver. "The chaps with the high foreheads will want to have a look at this."
OOC,Electrical Repair roll (10% base skill) about the device: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Indeed. I'll try my best to do what I can, no guarantees, but I reckon it'd take about a day." Amadeus said, crouching down to try and find a way to detach the thing, "I don't suppose zat there'z any screwdrivers or mechanical tool fer me to use lyin' around?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A day?" says Oliver. "Do we have that kind of time, with that thing out there? Stogie, what do you think? Any faster way to get this out of here? There must be tools on board somewhere, perhaps the engine room."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Stogie contemplates the device, his face screwed up. "I'm much better with car engines... I'll see what's in the engine room in the way of tools."
Mech Repair,If it assists with his consideration of the problem, Stogie has a Mechanical Repair of 50% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Stogie heads towards the back of the submarine and, after a few minutes, manages to find the engine room. Here there's little damage done by the fleeing Nazis, and Stogie quickly finds a few work tools they can use to safely remove the strange device.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Amadeus went on to start attempting to remove the device from the room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Once we've got the device," says Oliver, "we should look for the log - and the codebooks, if they were foolish enough to leave them. The best place to look would be the captain's cabin."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Tom, Smalls and Dowson-Frost

Outside the submarine, several minutes pass without anything happening. You have no idea how long it will take to explore a submarine this big, but after almost an hour of waiting, you are starting to worry. Knowing that some kind of monster is moving around the base is certainly not helping your nerves. So, when you hear a metallic sound, like something falling from a great height and hitting the floor, you almost jump and open fire with your weapon. It's hard to tell exactly from where the sound came, but it seems a corner of the dock behind the submarine, currently outside your field of view.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Listen 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
Due to his intense concentration on retrieving the device, Amadeus did not hear the noise.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

OOC:   Those inside the submarine cannot hear the noise. The ones outside will surely hear it, no roll needed.  
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   ...okay.  
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Work tools collected, Stogie retraces his steps to the control room and sets to removing the device.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Smalls Kemp

As the metallic sound echoes around the dock, Smalls feels like his heart skipped a beat. He points the Panzerfaust at the unseen corner of the dock, whispering to his colleagues "Gentleman... get ready."
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Inside the submarine, Amadeus gets to work with the tools provided by Stogie, but it definitely looks like it will be a long work. At least for the moment, though, there's no need for multiple people working on it - in fact, it's a work better done by a single person.

Outside the submarine, Smalls, Tom and Dowson-Frost get their weapons ready. After the sudden noise, silence has fallen again. The lights are flickering again, though. On, then off, then on again. Hopefully the generator won't die off. It would certainly be troublesome if it did.
Successful Listen Roll (only those outside the submarine),You can hear a vaguely disturbing sound, of something moving. Not metallic, definitely. Something organic. It's rhythmic, and slightly nauseating.

Return to “Assault on the Mountains of Madness”