[IC - Chapter One] We Are Not Alone

March, 1945: the forces of the Axis are falling back on all fronts. After half a decade of bloodshed and destruction, the end of the war is finally approaching. Yet, unknown to the Allies, the enemy has one more ace up their sleeve. A routine investigation of an abandoned submarine base leads to the discovery of a massive Nazi secret operation in Antarctica. As the Allies gather whatever forces they can divert to this new front of the war, a desperate race against time begins in the heart of the frozen continent, one last clash under the shadow of the Mountains of Madness to thwart this final plot of horror and madness.

Moderator: Overlord87

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: [IC - Chapter One] We Are Not Alone

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If you don't need anything else," Oliver says to Amadeus, "Stogie and I will see what else we can find while you're busy removing the device. We'll start with the captain's cabin. The skipper had to have kept a log."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

"Sounds like fun to me. A nice souvenir from the skipper's cabin would look great in my front room back in Chicago. Point me in the right direction, Cap." Stogie has his 1911, flashlight and cigar ready.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Amadeus shudders at the noise, but continued his work. Gesturing to the others that he can do this along.

With gusto, he started work, determined to hold it together until they return back to a safer area...wherever that is at this point. He wanted nothing more than to take a good hot showers and to sit down reading whilst drinking tea. He sighed slightly as wondered what kind of Faustian bargain had he made to deserve all this. A monster hunting him down, grouped with soldiers with more experience and courage than him, and committing actions that are normally out of character for him.

No rest for the damned. he thought grimly, as the rhythmic thumping noise tapped away at the edge of his awareness.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oliver also has his pistol in hand. He leads the way to where he expects the captain's cabin - such as it is on a vessel this small - to be.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Oliver and Stogie walk through the dark corridors of the submarine, lighting their way with the flashlights as they go. After a few minutes, they enter what appears to be the captain's cabin. It appears that this cabin was not messed with as the Nazis fled the base, and there are still maps, and logs, and books around. Apart from that, it is a common cabin, tidy and well-kept, definitely more comfortable than your average sailor's bunk bed in a common room.

Meanwhile, Amadeus keeps working on the strange device. He is making progress, but more time will be required to remove it safely.
Spoiler:
Sorry if we're moving slowly, I'll wait a couple more days for leonardolad, then I'll move things forward on the outside.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Don't suppose you know any German?" asks Oliver, gathering up the books, logs, and maps. He takes special care to collect anything that might be a code book, as well as the Enigma code machine if it's still present. "If not, I'm sure Amadeus does." He examines the maps, from which he should still be able to determine something even without knowing German.
OOC,Other Language:German roll (1% base skill) to read the captain's stuff: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Amadeus looks up from his attempt to detach the annoying machinery, and observed the captain's logs, books, and maps.
German 75%,[dice]0[/dice]
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Overlord87 wrote:Inside the submarine, Amadeus gets to work with the tools provided by Stogie, but it definitely looks like it will be a long work. At least for the moment, though, there's no need for multiple people working on it - in fact, it's a work better done by a single person.

Outside the submarine, Smalls, Tom and Dowson-Frost get their weapons ready. After the sudden noise, silence has fallen again. The lights are flickering again, though. On, then off, then on again. Hopefully the generator won't die off. It would certainly be troublesome if it did.
Successful Listen Roll (only those outside the submarine),You can hear a vaguely disturbing sound, of something moving. Not metallic, definitely. Something organic. It's rhythmic, and slightly nauseating.
Smalls Kemp

As the sudden sound echoes around the dock and fades away, Smalls loosens the grip on his gun. "Looks like we're OK for now." He looks up, checking the lamps as the light starts to flick again. He's uncertain, but he thinks he's hearing something. He closes his eyes, trying to identify the odd, disturbing sound. "Are you guys hearing this? It's like a rhythmic sound... something moving... Do you hear it?" He asks his companions.
OOC:   Again, so sorry my posts are a little scattered, fellas.  
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Stogie laughs. "Sorry Doc, I'm not even that good with my own language, let alone someone else's."
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Outside the submarine, Dowson-Frost nervously holds his gun, looking between the submarine and the docks: "It might be that thing... and I'd gladly fall back... except they're still in there. Not much we can do, right?"
He moves to cover behind a broken crate and readies his weapon. It's then you hear another loud sound, again, like something falling and hitting the ground. Except this time it doesn't sound like something metallic. It sounds like... a body. A dead body, most likely - judging by the sound, it must have fallen for at least ten meters.

Amadeus can read the logs and the books, but it's surely going to take some time - and he has to decide whether to keep working on the machine, or read them. Meanwhile, Oliver discovers something interesting on the maps: there appear to be a Nazi base in Antarctica. It's identified as Richter Base and, as far as you know, no one inside the Allied forces knows of it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oliver shows the map to the others. "I don't need to be able to read German to know that this is some kind of base in Antarctica," he says. "I've never heard of it before, and as far as I know, the Allied military don't know about it either. The High Command will be very interested to see this. Let's concentrate on getting the wotsit out of here. Amadeus can always read the logs and books later, when we're somewhere safe."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Amadeus nodded. He knew this is the most reasonable solution to the dilemma they're facing. He returned to work on detaching the device.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Stogie seizes a moment of quiet to clean his equipment, one item at a time, starting with his rifle. He doesn't like to imagine salt corroding otherwise immaculately clean kit.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Tom, Smalls and Dowson-Frost take position outside the submarine, and just in time. First they hear the sound: something moving... sliding... skittering... all these at once are summoned in your mind as you hear it getting closer. Then it appears - as if coming out of a nightmare, even worse than your friends's description. And bigger, somehow. Stogie and Amadeus described it as slightly bigger than a human being, but this thing you're seeing is larger than a full grown bear. It is made of pieces of human beings, heads and arms and legs, and even organs protruding in a senseless chaos. It leaves behind a trail of blood and slime, which somehow seems to facilitate its movement, as it slide over the surface faster than a thing so big and distorted should normally be able to. Several long bones protrude off its body, some just standing there, some acting as legs and ticking as they hit the pavement. Half a dozen heads turn towards you, fixing their gaze on all three of you at once, and several mouths start screaming all at once.
Smalls,If I remember correctly, it's your first time seeing the monster. If so, roll against a Sanity loss of 1d6/1d10. After that, you can take an action as normal.
Tom instinctively fires his panzerfaust, but haste does not go along well with precision. The projectile flies high and explode against a wall, the booming explosion echoing in the large, empty space. Luckily, it seems to distract the thing for a second, allowing Dowson-Frost to take him and release a short burst of fire on the thing. The bullets hit the monstruosity and pierce its flesh, as more blood and slime splatter on the floor. The thing screams, as its attention focus back on you. It seems ready to charge.

Inside the submarine, you hear the explosion and the gunfire coming from outside.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Yeah, it's probably nothing. They must've tripped on something." Amadeus said, dismissing the noise outside as he continued to remove the machine from its fix.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Stogie hastily reassembles his kit and rushes back to the conning tower to help his comrades.

"Dammit, jinxed it by trying to clean my kit."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Keep working, we'll check it out!" says Oliver to Amadeus as he rushes after Stogie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Smalls Kemp
Overlord,I think you're right. It's the first time. Here are my rolls: Sanity 50 . . [b]21[/b] http://orokos.com/roll/598761 Sanity loss [b]3[/b] http://orokos.com/roll/598761 I'm assuming I have a panzerfaust. Heavy Weapons 15% . . [b]77[/b] http://orokos.com/roll/598761
As terrible as he thought the creature was, nothing prepared Capt. Kemp for what he was seeing. He takes a second to understand what he is looking at before preparing to blow the thing with the panzerfaust. He wanted that thing gone forever, but his lack of ability with the weapon and his shaking hands made him miss the horrifying creature. "DAMN IT!"
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Amadeus whistled a little ditty while he worked.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

While Amadeus keeps working, entirely oblivious to the crisis unfolding around him, Stogie and Oliver run wildly through the passageways inside the submarine, trying to reach the docks as quickly as possible. Another explosion resonates from outside, as they increase their pace even more, breathing heavily, heartbeat racing up.

Outside, the creature rushes towards Tom, smashing a couple of crates in its way, before jumping and trying to bite off the man's face. Luckily for him, Tom dodges the attack, but as the creature lands behind him, it extends a long bone whip, ending in an edge, and slashes through one of his legs. Tom screams as he limps away, firing a volley of bullets at the monster from his machinegun, but missing the target. Meanwhile, the monster starts trembling and shaking, as several other bone whips protrude from its body, extending in all directions. One of them crosses the air towards Smalls, slicing one of his shoulders with a superficial cut.
Oliver and Stogie,You can join the combat from next round.
Smalls,You lose 3 Hit Points.
Everyone,There are still about half a dozen Panzerfaust around the docks, but now that the combat is in close quarters, it might be dangerous to use them.

Return to “Assault on the Mountains of Madness”