Page 1 of 1

[IC - Chapter One] Saxemberg

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:33 pm
by Overlord87
4 Match, 1945. Saxemberg Island, South Atlantic.

You wake up at a dawn in the mist and the cold. For some of you, this is the coldest you have ever experienced, and it makes you wonder just how arduous it would be to journey south from here, to the frozen continent. Luckily, once you are done with this annoying mission, you'll be on your way back home. Sergeant Dowson-Frost welcomes you at the camp mess, offering you coffee and something to eat. After checking the equipment one last time, you embark on the HMS Spearhead and begin your journey southeast.

If you had though the airplane was cramped, you have to reconsider when faced with the reality of life on a submarine. Apart from having to move along corridors barely large enough for two people to squeeze one past the other, and having to sleep on tiny, uncomfortable bunks, it's the air that really gets to you. The stale air, the humidity, and the smell of sweat and humanity. Plus, it's cold inside, and you cuddle up close to one another, wearing the warmest clothes you have brought with you, shivering and grumbling. This time, the journey lasts "only" 16 hours, and you feel that's enough underwater action for the rest of your life. You wonder just how the crew manages to survive for months in this steel coffin, but soon your brain is taken by the mission you're facing, and pushes away these idle thoughts.

You emerge from the submarine when it's dark outside. The LCRS is inflated and lowered on the ocean's surface, and you quickly follow. Once you're all on board, Sergeant Dowson-Frost quickly takes position near the engine and gets it going, steering the small boat towards your destination - the island of Saxemberg.
Note: this picture is to give you an idea of the island, but it's not
daytime as you approach. It's almost midnight.
After about twenty minutes, you are finally closing in on a rocky beach where it seems possible to land. Unfortunately, the current is much stronger here, and the waves are rocking the small boat. You see jagged rocks emerging here and there from the water, and in the darkness, they look like the claws of a sea monster. Sergeant Dowson-Frost instructs Stogie and Nick to pick up the two available oars, and get ready to use them in case of need. "I hope we won't have any trouble, but in case things get rough, follow my instructions", he screams over the sound of the ocean and the engine. And he has just finished talking, when a particularly violent wave impacts on the boat, threatening to turn it off balance - and to send you flying into the dark waters!
OOC:   Everybody roll against your STRX5.  
Spoiler:
Before departing from the base, you can gather up as many ammunitions as you can. Any of you can also bring up to two grenades with you.

Re: [IC - Chapter Three] Saxemberg

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:29 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
[dice]0[/dice] = fail

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:35 pm
by Overlord87
Dr. Bloodworth wrote:[dice]195359:0[/dice] = fail
OOC:   As you have STR 16, your STRX5=80, and a roll of 52 is a success ;)  

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:17 pm
by Mister Ginge
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:53 pm
by Steveoknox24
Spoiler:
Amadeus has a strength of 7
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver cannot maintain his grip.
OOC,STR x 5 roll (45% stat) to stay in the boat: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:29 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Stogie's[/b] STR x 5 is 55 and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Oops...

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:28 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
OOC:   As you have STR 16, your STRX5=80, and a roll of 52 is a success ;)  
OOC:   Ach! I don't know how I made that mistake...  

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:53 pm
by leonardolad
OOC,STRX5 = 50 [b]Roll = 26[/b] http://orokos.com/roll/524243

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:10 pm
by Overlord87
The wave pushes the small boat out of control, and for a moment you're sure it will capsize. The moment passes and the boat speeds on, pushed by the current. You seem to be headed for a large rock, and Sergeant Dowson-Frost starts screaming instructions, as the engine seems to have temporarily died off and you can only rely on the oars to help you avoid the obstacle. Another wave hits the boat as Stogie is rowing with all his strength, throwing him off balance and then falling off the boat. Oliver acts on pure instinct and tries to catch him, but his movement pushes the whole boat on one side and he ends up following Stogie in the cold water. The other somehow manage to maintain a stable grip on the boat, and as the boat leaves the dangerous spot behind, you manage to stabilize it, and regain control.
OOC:   Those that have fallen off the boat must decide if they want to swim to the island on their own (it's not far now) or try to get back on board.  

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver doesn't want to risk capsizing the boat, so he tries to swim for shore, staying alongside it in case he needs to be pulled back aboard.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:50 pm
by andyw666
Cursing very quietly, Stogie dog paddles for the shore also, wet cigar between teeth.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 pm
by Overlord87
The boat seems stable now, and although the engine won't restart, the worst is now behind you, and as you row the shore gets closer and closer.

For Oliver and Stogie, things are more difficile. The current is still relatively strong, the water is deadly cold, and there are rocks under the surface, sharp as a knife's blade.
OOC:   A Swim roll from the swimmers please ;)  

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:53 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
Nick rows onward, turning his head to look ahead at the barren, rocky island waiting for them. He starts to put out a hand to help Oliver and "Stogie" back into the boat, but shakes his head and mutters something under his breath as they start to swim alongside the boat.

"Are you sure you should be doing that?" he shouts, continuing to row. "That water can't be very nice."
OOC:   How far are we from the beach?  

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:40 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   You can estimate a little more than 50 meters.  

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:59 pm
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Stogie's[/b] [i]Swim[/i] is 25% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:54 pm
by Mister Ginge

Tom steadies himself and reaches out to the swimmers. "One of you grab my hand quick. You'll bloody freeze to death!" he hisses.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:20 am
by Steveoknox24
Amadeus shifts to the opposite side of the craft. He shouts though his words are muddled with the roar of the surf: "Climb back in fellas. I should be enough counterweight. Zere iz enough bratwurst and shnitzle in here," he pats his belly, "to avoid uz all going into ze drink."

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Unable to swim on his own, Oliver gratefully reaches out for the proffered hand.
OOC,Swim roll (25% base skill) to reach the shore without help: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:37 am
by andyw666
Spluttering, Stogie grabs any hand or bit of boat available. He's happy just to hang onto the boat and try to help push it along.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:38 am
by leonardolad
Smalls Kemp

"C'mon fellas! We're almost there! Climb in!" As the other in the boat try to reach for the swimmers, Smalls tries to keep the boat balanced using a paddle (if there is one avaliable) and his own body weight.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:09 pm
by Overlord87
Oliver and Stogie try to swim to the shore, but the current makes the task very hard, and the cold water drains their energy. Oliver hits one of the underwater rocks with a leg, cutting himself- luckily, the cold numbs the pain. Finally, they fall back towards the boat. Oliver tries to get back on board, while Stogie grabs it and tries to hang in there until he can get on board, or they reach the shore - whatever happens first.
OOC:   Oliver loses 4 Health, Stogie 2 Health.

Oliver can try a Climb check to get back on board of the boat. If he succeeds, Stogie will be able to try as well in the coming turn.  

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver tries to get back aboard, but he can't manage it.
OOC,Climb roll (40% base skill) to get back in the boat: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:35 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
OOC:   What roll should I make to try to help Oliver back in? Just Str x5 or something else?  

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:49 am
by andyw666
Stogie keeps powering along, trying to push the boat to shore. "%$#@!! Just row the damn thing to shore and we'll be fine."

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:56 pm
by Steveoknox24
Amadeus scrambles for a free paddle.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:02 am
by Overlord87
You focus on getting to shore as quickly as possible. Those that can row, row. Oliver and Stogie swim, trying to push the boat forward. In a matter of a couple of minutes, you are finally setting foot on the ghost island of Saxemberg. You pull up the boat on the shore, and can finally take some time to assess the situation. You hear no sound, and the faint light of the moon doesn't reveal much. The island was clearly a small volcano in the past, and the slope seems to increase heading inland. Judging from what you can see, though, it would be just a matter of minutes to jog up to the top. At the moment, you don't see anything that could be hiding the entrance to a secret Nazi base. Oliver and Stogie are completely drenched, as is any equipment or weapon they were carrying.
OOC:   Oliver and Stogie lose 3 more Health points before reaching shore.  

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:02 pm
by Mr. Handy

Once ashore, Oliver tends to Stogie's and then his own injuries.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 am
by andyw666
As best he can, Stogie sets about drying and cleaning his weapons. "Salt water is no friend to metal or moving parts."

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 am
by Mister Ginge
Tom keeps an eye on the the surroundings, looking for any signs of movement or activity.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:55 pm
by Steveoknox24
"I may be a stubborn Austrian but I know vhen I'm in over my head," Amadeus wrings his hands in anxiety. "Let me know if anyvun needs help. Ozervize I'll keep votch." He takes position opposite Tom to cover more visual area.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:14 pm
by Overlord87
Oliver,Roll first aid or medicine.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver does an excellent job patching up their wounds.
OOC,First Aid roll (70% skill) treating injuries: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:05 am
by Overlord87
Sergeant Dowson-Frost looks at Amadeus with an half-smile: "Don't get too comfortable doctor. We are just getting started here". He then turns towards Oliver: "What are your orders, Captain?"
OOC:   Both Oliver and Stogie recover 1 Health point thanks to Oliver's First Aid.  

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:11 am
by andyw666
"Thanks Doc," Stogie hisses, working feverishly by touch to clean and dry his Garand and 1911, plus the various spare mags for both. He hopes one of his still wrapped cigars is dry-ish.

"I gotta say, that makes parachuting look like fun."

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Parachuting is fun," says Oliver. "The bit at the end where you reach the ground, not so much." He still recalls his rough landing in Normandy on D-Day, though meeting Claire had made it all worthwhile. "Right, men. Let's head inland, up to the top of the slope. From there we should get a good view of the island, especially once the sun comes up."

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 am
by Mister Ginge

"Ready when you are Captain." Tom checks his machine gun one last time, aprehensive but keen to get back into action.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:44 am
by Overlord87
"All right. Let's spread out to cover more ground, and head to the top", Sergeant Dowson-Frost says as he prepares his machinegun and starts walking.
OOC:   Everybody make a Spot Hidden roll.  

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:55 am
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
Spot hidden 45%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:19 pm
by leonardolad
OOC,Spot Hidden 55% . . [b]43[/b] http://orokos.com/roll/527453

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
[dice]0[/dice] = fumble
OOC:   *facepalm*  

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver's eagle eyes catch sight of something.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) going uphill: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:37 am
by Steveoknox24
Amadeus doesn't turn towards the Sergeant but hollers back to him. "No fear of zat Sergeant. Everyzing about zis operation so far has been decidedly uncomfortable."
Spoiler:
Spothe Hidden 60%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:57 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Stogie's[/b] [i]SpotHid[/i] is 35% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Crit!  
Stogie growls quietly at Amadeus, "Bit quieter pal, we'd like ta catch 'em unawares."

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:11 am
by Overlord87
As you walk uphill, Stogie spots an opening in the rock, like the entrance to a cavern. He signals the others to stop and heads in to check. The crack is narrow and he has to hold his breath to squeeze through, but once on the other side, his efforts are repaid. There's a steel door right in front of him, closed. A wheel mechanism right in the middle of the door looks like it could be operated to open it.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

"This must be the place," says Oliver, holding his pistol ready and examining the door carefully. "Looks a bit like a submarine door. We've seen no guards outside, but there may be an alarm on it."

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:27 am
by Steveoknox24
"An alarm vould make zings considerably more uncomfortable," Amadeus whispers. "Iff zats ze case, we should 'ave a plan before ve go in. Formations, lookouts, zat sort of zing."

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:32 am
by andyw666
Stogie grunts. He whispers, "I'm wet and it's drier in there I bet. Let's just open 'er up and sneak in."

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:03 pm
by leonardolad
Smalls Kemp

"Oliver's right. An unguarded door like this. It can have an alarm or something. Let's be careful." He says, carefully looking around the door for anything suspicious.
OOC:   Would Electrical or Mechanical Repair be of help here?  

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:45 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
Sgt. Laplanche hefts his gun on his shoulder as he looks back behind them, and then examines the hatchway set in the rock face before the squad. "Doesn't seem like the front door to me. I agree with Kemp and Oliver. We should check it out first. No sense calling a whole squad of Nazis down on us if we can avoid it."

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:07 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   You can roll Spot Hidden, but since you don't know exactly what you might be looking for, you have to halve your skill level, rounded down.
Those of you with Electrical Repair or Combat Engineer at 50% or more can roll against their unmodified value, as they have some knowledge on the matter.  

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:30 am
by Steveoknox24
Spoiler:
Amadeus' Spot Hidden is 30% at half
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:52 am
by andyw666
OOC,Half [b]Stogie's[/b] [i]SpotHid[/i] will be 17% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Nope.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver doesn't notice anything unusual about the door.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55 / 2 = 27.5% skill) examining the door: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:43 am
by Dr. Bloodworth
OOC:   Halved Spot Hidden = 32%
[dice]0[/dice]
Nope.  

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:57 am
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
Halved Spot Hidden = 22%
[dice]0[/dice]
Nope.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:50 pm
by leonardolad
OOC:   Electrical Repair = 60%
Spot Hidden = 55%
http://orokos.com/roll/529307  

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:52 pm
by Overlord87
You don't notice anything suspicious about the door.

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 am
by Steveoknox24
It takes Amadeus a second to realize it but he finally notices the soldiers holding their weapons more readily. He takes his duffle bag off of his shoulder to retrieve his shotgun.
OOC:   Should I roll for stealth? Or something else? I recognize this isn't something I can do quickly, smoothly,
Etc.  

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 am
by Mister Ginge

Tom's hands instinctively reach for one of his demolition charges, but he thinks better of it.

"Ok Captain, what next? Knock on the door or look for another way in?"

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:11 am
by andyw666
Stogie looks around at the others, slings his rifle and pulls out the 1911. "Happy for me to crack the door?" He asks in a gravelly whisper. His free hand starts moving towards the wheel.

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:31 pm
by leonardolad
Smalls Kemp

Smalls looks at the door, doubtful. "Well... I don't see anything suspicious. Besides, you and Oliver will freeze here if we don't get inside quick. I'd say we crack this thing open, but have your guns ready, boys."

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Oliver. "There's nothing for it but to just open the door and hope for the best. If an alarm goes off, we'll just have to storm the place before they know what's hit them."

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:52 am
by andyw666
Stogie, fresh (dry) cigar in teeth, grasps the wheel with his free hand and attempts to slowly spin it.
OOC:   If the hatch opens easily, Stogie will stay concealed behind it as he opens it, looking out for wires or other booby traps.  

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:25 pm
by Overlord87
The wheel turns with a low creaking, but once it stops, and the door opens, there's no alarm ringing, or booby trap exploding. Only silence, and the steady rhythm of your breath. You wait for something to happen, someone screaming in german, a gun firing, but as the silence stretches on, you finally feel confident enough to walk in.

You find yourself in an empty room, maybe five meters per five. There's no light, and so you have to keep relying on your flashlights to see anything at all. The walls are grey, but it's not rock anymore - you've entered the base. Unfortunately, the road looks blocked. A huge blast door, probably several feet thick, stands in front of you - the only other exit from the room, and it's sealed shut. It did not close when you entered the cave, or opened the other door. A door like this would make a lot of noise, and you didn't hear anything. It was already closed by the time you got here. There's a panel next to it, but it doesn't look to be operative.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver takes his electric torch in his free hand and shines the beam on the panel. "Anyone know how this sort of thing works?" he asks. "This reminds me of like a waterlock, though it's dry. Maybe the outer door has to be shut before the inner one can be opened."

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 am
by andyw666
OOC:   Would a Mech Repair roll be of any efficacy?  

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:16 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   At the moment, the problem seems to be with the operating panel, so you'll need Electrical Repair.  

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:31 am
by andyw666
.45 and torch in hands, Stogie peers at the control panel without touching anything.
Electrical Repair,He has a skill of 10% and rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
"That's above my pay grade," he whispers and heads back to guard the outside entrance.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:43 am
by Mister Ginge
Tom has a look.
Spoiler:
Electrical repair 10%
[dice]0[/dice]
"Hang on. What if this wire goes here and this one goes there.."

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:04 pm
by Overlord87
Tom remembers seeing a blast door like this from one of his previous missions. These are extremely heavy and robust doors, practically impossible to open by sheer physical strength. Although it's possible to crack them open by using explosives, an extremely large quantity of them would be needed. Usually, these doors have elaborate mechanisms to open them, electrically operated and activated by control panels just like the one you're looking at. Those panels are not complicated, practically just a switch, unless they're forcefully deactivated in case of emergency, or to keep attackers at bay. This is not the case here, though. The panel looks alright, it's just there's no electricity to power it. Just as the lights are out, so is the panel. It's just a hunch, but you feel the whole base might be out of power.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Any suggestions on how we get inside?" asks Oliver. "I don't think we've got enough explosives to blow it open. II we had cables and a generator, we might be able to jump start it. We may need to find another way in. This base has to be ventilated somehow. If we could find a shaft, and it's not too small, we can get in that way."

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:40 am
by andyw666
Stogie holsters his .45 and unslings the Garand again. "Looks like a dead end Doc. This feels like the back door ta me. We might have ta keep hoofing it across the island till we find the front door. I'll be on guard outside, lemme know what you guys decide." He returns to the narrow entrance and carefully moves back outside to take up a concealed guard position while the others consider.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:40 pm
by Steveoknox24
Amadeus leans against one of the walls, clearly relieved, for the moment, that an army of Nazis didn't burst through that door. "I defer to you fine gentlemen. Dastardly secret bases are not my strong suit. I'll try to get a heart beat back to normal vhile you all decide our next move."

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:16 pm
by Overlord87
Sergeant Dowson-Frost lowers his Sten Mk. I, placing one hand on the blast door as he looks around: "Submarine bases have got only one main entrance, and that's underwater. No way we're entering from there. I don't think they would bother digging out that many doors, and for what purpose? Get out to watch the sunset? It's this one and if it's sealed... the ventilation shaft might be our best shot, captain, I agree".

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:27 pm
by Mister Ginge
OOC:   I'll be in rural France til Monday 10th July with very limited internet access. May be able to make the odd post on my phone but please feel free to NPC my character in the meantime  

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Oliver. "Let's go find that vent."

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:35 am
by andyw666
Stogie is happiest moving anyway, so he starts a slow spiral outwards from The Cave, carefully looking for anything man-made or any other caves. Or Jerry for that matter.

He hisses to the others, "Back in Chicago, the street vents let out a lotta steam. I wonder if the same happens here?" Stogie looks out for steam or smoke too.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:16 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
Nick looks around. "Good call. There's almost gotta be some steam. After all, unless they're penguins they have to have the heat on. It's not New Orleans in July down here, after all..." He joins Stogie in scanning the rocks for some plumes of hot air.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:39 pm
by Overlord87
You walk back in the coldness outside, and particularly for Oliver and Stogie, this isn't a pleasant experience. You move around with order, searching every square feet, until you stumble on a second opening in the rock, leading to a cave where a large ventilation shaft was dug in. There is no air coming out, though, no steam, nothing. As you direct your flashlights inside the shaft, you reveal a large tunnel of more than one meter in diameter, interrupted by a large fan about ten meters in. The fan is not moving, suggesting that the ventilation system of the base is not working at the moment.
OOC:   Oliver and Stogie lose 2 more HP to the cold and the wind.  

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let's get down there," says Oliver. "That fan is a perfect place to secure ropes."

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:30 pm
by Steveoknox24
Amadeus looks miffed by all this. "Sorry, I'd just like to pause for a moment. Vhat can ve expect to find down zhere? The electricity vas off by zhat door. Zhere is no ventilation to zhis place. Zhis base seems hardly operational."

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:44 am
by andyw666
"Maybe Jerry's outta gas for his generator? Or saving money?" Stogie mutters quietly.

Stogie slings his Garand and starts clambering quietly down the tunnel as quietly as he can, unless it's just a straight sheer drop.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:03 pm
by leonardolad
Smalls Kemp

"Careful there, Stogie. Keep your eyes and ears open. See if you can take a look at the other side of that fan." He says, crouched outside the shaft.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:06 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
While all this is going on, Nick paces the cave slowly, looking to see if there's anything out of place that might give a clue as to what happened at the base.
OOC:   Spot Hidden to check:
[dice]0[/dice]
= success, if necessary.  

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:00 pm
by Overlord87
After the fan, the hatch takes a turn downwards, with a steep slope of about 45° degrees. The hatch surface is flat and doesn't offer any handhold - or foothold, for that matter. Pointing the flashlight downwards, you can barely see another fan at the end of this section, and maybe the end of the hatch after that.
OOC:   You can reach the other fan at the end of the hatch with a Climb test. No test is needed if you make use of a rope to help yourself, but you'll need someone to hold the rope from the top, or secure it to the fan.  
Dr. Bloodworth,You don't notice anything unusual.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:44 am
by andyw666
Stogie hisses back to the others, "Another fan and a hatch. Need rope. Follow me when I give three tugs."

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver lowers a rope to Stogie. "Secure the end to the fan," he replies quietly.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:58 am
by andyw666
Stogie ties the rope to the first fan then quietly lowers himself on down to the next hatch.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 pm
by Overlord87
Stogie climbs down the hatch slowly, and as quietly as he can. At the second fan, he stops to secure the rope, and check below with the flashlight. The hatch curves in even steeper, almost vertical, for a few more meters. Then, the light reveals a third fan and, below that, what seems to be a room.
Listen,No noise seems to be coming from the room below.
With the help of the rope, and the walls of the hatch, it shouldn't be too difficult to climb down to the room.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 am
by andyw666
Stogie gives the rest of the team up-hatch a quick double flash of his flashlight then attempts to clamber down to the room below as quietly as he can.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:09 am
by Mister Ginge

Tom begins to follow Stogie down the hatch, quietly as possible.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver lets Tom get some distance below before following him down.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:46 pm
by Overlord87
Stogie is the first to lower himself down past the last fan. Silence and darkness welcome him. With the ventilation system down, the air is completely still, unpleasant, but breathable. For a moment, it feels as if you're entering a tomb, but you quickly discard the thought as ridicolous. This is a military base, after all, and probably still full of nazis.

As you move the flashlight around, you reveal a small room full of machinery - all dead, at the moment, but at first glance nothing seems to be actually damaged. There are a few rectangular holes on the walls, covered with grids, probably part of the ventilation system of the base. Finally, your eyes fall on a single steel door, with a wheel mechanism just like the first one you met. It seems to be the only proper way in and out of the room.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:26 am
by andyw666
Stogie quickly pulls out the 1911 and waits by the door while the others clamber down.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver has his own weapon out once he emerges into the room. "Let's get everyone down here first," he whispers, "then open the door."

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:49 pm
by leonardolad
Smalls Kemp

Smalls squats at the opening and grabs the rope, ready to get in the shaft. C'mon fellas, our turn. He says, before start lowering himself.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:13 pm
by Mister Ginge
Tom puts his ear to the door to see if he can hear anything...
Spoiler:
Listen 25%
[dice]0[/dice]
Nope, nothing. Just the sound of his own blood swishing in his ears.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 pm
by Overlord87
One by one, everyone lowers himself into the room, until it starts to feel cramped. Seven people, in the darkness, trying to stifle any noise, almost holding their breath. You gather around the door, ready for anything that might be waiting on the other side.
OOC:   Let's move on, hopefully the others will come back to posting soon.  

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver nods and gestures for Stogie to open the door.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:21 am
by andyw666
Stogie slowly and quietly attempts to wheel the door hatch open...

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:22 pm
by Mister Ginge
Tom sets his machine gun, ready for what could be on the other side..

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm
by Overlord87
The door opens easily and leads into a long corridor. Your steps echo faintly in the darkness as you move ahead warily. Still no noise, no light - except for your flashlights. No sign of life. After twenty meters or so, the corridor takes a turn on the right, revealing a second door up ahead. After making sure you can't hear anything through the steel, you turn the wheel and push it open.
On the other side, a large space seems to open up, as your flashlights fade off into the darkness and disappear before hitting any wall. In front or you, at least, this room seems to stretch for quite some distance. On your left and right, the room extends for at least fifteen meters. This place definitely is - or perhaps "was" might be a more accurate word - a working space. There are work benches lined up, with spare parts, and tools, and all kind of mechanical and electrical junk on them. Shelves line up on one side, full of various components and boxes of all dimensions. Nothing seems to be damaged, and there's no trace of a fight. Still, the place looks abandoned, and might have been so for quite some time.
Mechanical Repair,These are differents from the ones you know, but you recognize mostly of the pieces as spare parts for large engines.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver doesn't know much about the stuff in this area.
OOC,Mechanical Repair roll (20% base skill) about the parts: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:56 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Stogie's[/b] [i]Mech Repair[/i] is 50% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:22 pm
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
Mech repair 20%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:36 pm
by Steveoknox24
Amadeus scans the abandoned fortress and is reminded of the various stories he's heard of ghost ships and mysterious disappearances. Whispering, he asks, "Anyone here heard ze story of ze Mary Celeste?"
Spoiler:
Mechanical Repair 20%

[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Getting married in a few weeks, sorry for the lack of posts. Planning has ramped up.  

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've heard of her," Oliver whispers back. "She was found adrift with no crew, but her cargo was intact - or at least what was stated on the manifest was intact. Always wondered if maybe there was some smuggling going on, and the smugglers fell afoul of pirates. There was no sign of a struggle, but they could have surrendered without a fight. Not what happened here. It's possible that the Jerries decided to bug out via U-Boat while the getting was good, especially if they thought we might be coming. With Germany in tatters, they may figure that the end is only a matter of time, and safe haven in Argentina is so close. Still, we can't count on that, so be on your guard."

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:16 pm
by leonardolad
Smalls Kemp

"Yeah, I bet they all swam for their lives when they heard our friend Amadeus here was coming." He says with a grin.
Mechanical Repair,Mechanical Repair 70% . . [b]73[/b] http://orokos.com/roll/534914

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:58 am
by Steveoknox24
"Zat was ze official report, yes." Amadeus glances quizzically at Smalls. "Zough many believe ze official account iz nozing more zan a cover. I'm a little concerned it comes to mind so readily here.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:04 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
Nick furrows his brow and hoists his rifle. "This is a little eerie," he whispers. "Maybe they got the orders from Berlin to withdraw, but... why not take any of their equipment with them?" He looks over the parts, shakes his head and moves on.

[dice]0[/dice]
= fail

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:20 am
by Mister Ginge

"Let's check the rest of the room" says Tom. "See what else we can find.."

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:50 pm
by Steveoknox24
"I agree. Let's see vhat clues ve can find."

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:45 am
by andyw666
Stogie starts navigating the perimeter of this big room, keeping the wall to his left shoulder, flashlight and 1911 in hand, particularly looking for doors and listening for the enemy. He chomps on an unlit cigar.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:06 pm
by Overlord87
Stogie leads the way in the darkness. Time passes, moment after moment, step after step. Still no sound pierces the silence, apart from your steps. Nothing breaks the increasingly eerie atmosphere. Finally, the large workshop area opens up into an even larger space: the docks. The flashlights allow you to see three docks, each one capable of accomodating a huge submarine - bigger than the one that carried you here, bigger than anything you know from the allied naval forces. And there's one of these behemoths in the water, crashed underneath a collapsed loading derrick. It lies on its starboard size, stretching out in the darkness beyond the reach of your flashlights. You can't see much from where you are, but there seems to be evidence of a serious fire near the conning tower and the forward hatch.
Around you, the docks are full of broken crates, looking in disarray, although the derricks and gantries that criss-cross over your head seem to be mostly intact and functioning.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Oliver peers at the wrecked U-Boat, shining his torch on it as he carefully approaches it. He inspects the crates as he passes, looking to see if there are any labels or contents.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:29 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
"This is more than just folks who disappeared," says Nick, furrowing his brow at the broken crates. "Unless the Jerries sabotaged this stuff 'fore they left. That sounds like somethin' they'd do." As they reach the submarine, he peers up at the mostly-intact walkways above, scanning around for gunmen. "Perfect spot for an ambush."

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:19 am
by andyw666
Stogie growls, "OK, what the heck is going on here? This ain't some tiny sub base in the middle of the ocean. This is huge. These subs are huge. How come we didn't get a briefing on this? And why is Jerry so dumb as to build all of this here, so far from Europe? Is he planning a full scale attack on Argentina? It doesn't make any sense."

"And the real kicker has got to be - where is Jerry? This is all wrong and wronger."
His usual dump-truck voice conveys serious frustration.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:31 pm
by Overlord87
Oliver walks closer to the submarine, gun at the ready. His flashlight now illuminates the name of this submarine: UX-824. Perhaps more interestingly, though, the forward cargo door shows sign of explosive damage, and he can now see a few Panzerfaust 60s abandoned on the docks. Checking the crates, some of them are empty, some of them still half-full of supplies, ammunitions, and the like. There's no trace of human presence whatsoever, though. Still the ominous silence looms over everything.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:33 pm
by Mister Ginge
Tom picks up one of the Panzerfaust 60s, testing it's weight. "Might come in handy.."

He scans the sub, wondering if there's any easy access.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:12 pm
by Overlord87
The submarine rests under a collapsed loading derrick. It's not really the safest thing to do, but one could walk over it to reach the submarine from the dock, and then walk to the conning tower. Alternatively, there's a hole in the forward cargo door, most likely originated from a Panzerfaust shot, practically at water level. It should be possible to swim to it and use it as an entrance.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

Oliver also takes a Panzerfaust, which far outclasses his own weapons, though it has the disadvantage of only being usable once. "Looks like one of these is what blew open the U-Boat," he says. "I wonder why the Jerries did that? Any volunteers to go aboard her and look around?"

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:57 am
by andyw666
Stogie grins around his cigar. "No offence Doc, but I've had enough a' swimming for one winter."

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:45 pm
by leonardolad
Smalls Kemp

Kemp looks around the dock, trying to understand what happened here. He tries to mentally create a timeline of events, talking more to himself than the others. "Ok, so... No Germans around, and no sign of combat so far, except for this mess here. We got the sub, but there are three docks so they must have left in other sub. But why? And who the hell blow this one open? A mutiny, maybe? " He stares at the hole, M1919 in hand.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"You and me both," says Oliver to Stogie. "Of course, it's really late summer here in the Southern Hemisphere, but you wouldn't know it from how cold it was. As to what happened here, we can only speculate until we find some actual evidence. There've got to be documents about what's been going on here somewhere. The Nazis are sticklers for keeping records."

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:51 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
"You'd think any documents would be in the main command room. That should be somewhere fairly close, I'd think," Nick says. "Anybody see any doors leading out of here?"

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:54 pm
by Mister Ginge
"Yes, let's check around first, Tom agrees. "If push comes to shove, I might try my luck across that derrick. Don't fancy getting wet though".

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 am
by andyw666
Stogie keeps searching the giant dock, flashlight and 1911 in hand, cigar chomped, looking for Germans, doors and explanations.

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:18 am
by Overlord87
The docks area is huge, and even with the help of the flashlights, you can only reveal part of it. You are now at the leftmost dock, where the UX-824 was docked, and now lies almost in shambles. Walking past it, you discover a large blast door, on the left, sealed as the one you previously encountered. Farther ahead, the wall turns right and runs parallel to the submarine. You can see another door, ahead, this time it's a steel one, with a wheel to open it. Past that, the dock and the wall disappear in the darkness. Also, the docks area extends in the other direction. Past the other two docks, there might be more, other doors, other rooms.
"Well, we don't know what happened here, but I think we can say that there are no more Jerrys around. Good for us", says Sergeant Dowson-Frost, "And while this probably means they didn't leave behind anything useful, let's just take a quick look around, and then we can be on our way back home. Perhaps we can split up and cover more ground, what do you say Captain?"

OOC:   I'm not particularly good at sketching, but this should help you. I have reported all the areas you have currentlly discovered: https://postimg.org/image/48fx7264r/  

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds good," says Oliver. "I'll take a group and see what's behind that door with the wheel while you take one and search the rest of the docks area. Wonder if that blast door's the same one we saw in the cave."

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:22 am
by andyw666
Stogie rumbles, "I'm with you, Doc." He ambles over to join Oliver.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:21 pm
by Mister Ginge
Tom shoulders his newly acquired Panzerfaust. "I'll help search the rest of the docks. Lead the way Sargeant."

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:48 pm
by Dr. Bloodworth
"I'll go check out the wheelroom, I suppose," Nick says.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:29 pm
by leonardolad
Smalls Kemp

Ok, let's split them. Oliver, Stogie, Nick and Amadeus take this side of the docks while Sgt. Dowson-Frost, Tom and I go to take a look at the other side. What do you say, Doc?

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:21 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Good, I'll wait until tomorrow if someone has something to add, then open up the two new topics.  

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's do it," says Oliver with a nod.