[IC - Chapter One] Saxemberg

March, 1945: the forces of the Axis are falling back on all fronts. After half a decade of bloodshed and destruction, the end of the war is finally approaching. Yet, unknown to the Allies, the enemy has one more ace up their sleeve. A routine investigation of an abandoned submarine base leads to the discovery of a massive Nazi secret operation in Antarctica. As the Allies gather whatever forces they can divert to this new front of the war, a desperate race against time begins in the heart of the frozen continent, one last clash under the shadow of the Mountains of Madness to thwart this final plot of horror and madness.

Moderator: Overlord87

andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Re: [IC - Chapter Three] Saxemberg

Post by andyw666 »

Stogie looks around at the others, slings his rifle and pulls out the 1911. "Happy for me to crack the door?" He asks in a gravelly whisper. His free hand starts moving towards the wheel.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by leonardolad »

Smalls Kemp

Smalls looks at the door, doubtful. "Well... I don't see anything suspicious. Besides, you and Oliver will freeze here if we don't get inside quick. I'd say we crack this thing open, but have your guns ready, boys."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right," says Oliver. "There's nothing for it but to just open the door and hope for the best. If an alarm goes off, we'll just have to storm the place before they know what's hit them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Stogie, fresh (dry) cigar in teeth, grasps the wheel with his free hand and attempts to slowly spin it.
OOC:   If the hatch opens easily, Stogie will stay concealed behind it as he opens it, looking out for wires or other booby traps.  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The wheel turns with a low creaking, but once it stops, and the door opens, there's no alarm ringing, or booby trap exploding. Only silence, and the steady rhythm of your breath. You wait for something to happen, someone screaming in german, a gun firing, but as the silence stretches on, you finally feel confident enough to walk in.

You find yourself in an empty room, maybe five meters per five. There's no light, and so you have to keep relying on your flashlights to see anything at all. The walls are grey, but it's not rock anymore - you've entered the base. Unfortunately, the road looks blocked. A huge blast door, probably several feet thick, stands in front of you - the only other exit from the room, and it's sealed shut. It did not close when you entered the cave, or opened the other door. A door like this would make a lot of noise, and you didn't hear anything. It was already closed by the time you got here. There's a panel next to it, but it doesn't look to be operative.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oliver takes his electric torch in his free hand and shines the beam on the panel. "Anyone know how this sort of thing works?" he asks. "This reminds me of like a waterlock, though it's dry. Maybe the outer door has to be shut before the inner one can be opened."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC:   Would a Mech Repair roll be of any efficacy?  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

OOC:   At the moment, the problem seems to be with the operating panel, so you'll need Electrical Repair.  
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

.45 and torch in hands, Stogie peers at the control panel without touching anything.
Electrical Repair,He has a skill of 10% and rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
"That's above my pay grade," he whispers and heads back to guard the outside entrance.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Tom has a look.
Spoiler:
Electrical repair 10%
[dice]0[/dice]
"Hang on. What if this wire goes here and this one goes there.."
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Tom remembers seeing a blast door like this from one of his previous missions. These are extremely heavy and robust doors, practically impossible to open by sheer physical strength. Although it's possible to crack them open by using explosives, an extremely large quantity of them would be needed. Usually, these doors have elaborate mechanisms to open them, electrically operated and activated by control panels just like the one you're looking at. Those panels are not complicated, practically just a switch, unless they're forcefully deactivated in case of emergency, or to keep attackers at bay. This is not the case here, though. The panel looks alright, it's just there's no electricity to power it. Just as the lights are out, so is the panel. It's just a hunch, but you feel the whole base might be out of power.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Any suggestions on how we get inside?" asks Oliver. "I don't think we've got enough explosives to blow it open. II we had cables and a generator, we might be able to jump start it. We may need to find another way in. This base has to be ventilated somehow. If we could find a shaft, and it's not too small, we can get in that way."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Stogie holsters his .45 and unslings the Garand again. "Looks like a dead end Doc. This feels like the back door ta me. We might have ta keep hoofing it across the island till we find the front door. I'll be on guard outside, lemme know what you guys decide." He returns to the narrow entrance and carefully moves back outside to take up a concealed guard position while the others consider.
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Amadeus leans against one of the walls, clearly relieved, for the moment, that an army of Nazis didn't burst through that door. "I defer to you fine gentlemen. Dastardly secret bases are not my strong suit. I'll try to get a heart beat back to normal vhile you all decide our next move."
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Sergeant Dowson-Frost lowers his Sten Mk. I, placing one hand on the blast door as he looks around: "Submarine bases have got only one main entrance, and that's underwater. No way we're entering from there. I don't think they would bother digging out that many doors, and for what purpose? Get out to watch the sunset? It's this one and if it's sealed... the ventilation shaft might be our best shot, captain, I agree".
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

OOC:   I'll be in rural France til Monday 10th July with very limited internet access. May be able to make the odd post on my phone but please feel free to NPC my character in the meantime  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right," says Oliver. "Let's go find that vent."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Stogie is happiest moving anyway, so he starts a slow spiral outwards from The Cave, carefully looking for anything man-made or any other caves. Or Jerry for that matter.

He hisses to the others, "Back in Chicago, the street vents let out a lotta steam. I wonder if the same happens here?" Stogie looks out for steam or smoke too.
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

Nick looks around. "Good call. There's almost gotta be some steam. After all, unless they're penguins they have to have the heat on. It's not New Orleans in July down here, after all..." He joins Stogie in scanning the rocks for some plumes of hot air.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

You walk back in the coldness outside, and particularly for Oliver and Stogie, this isn't a pleasant experience. You move around with order, searching every square feet, until you stumble on a second opening in the rock, leading to a cave where a large ventilation shaft was dug in. There is no air coming out, though, no steam, nothing. As you direct your flashlights inside the shaft, you reveal a large tunnel of more than one meter in diameter, interrupted by a large fan about ten meters in. The fan is not moving, suggesting that the ventilation system of the base is not working at the moment.
OOC:   Oliver and Stogie lose 2 more HP to the cold and the wind.  

Return to “Assault on the Mountains of Madness”