[IC - Chapter One] The Gathering

March, 1945: the forces of the Axis are falling back on all fronts. After half a decade of bloodshed and destruction, the end of the war is finally approaching. Yet, unknown to the Allies, the enemy has one more ace up their sleeve. A routine investigation of an abandoned submarine base leads to the discovery of a massive Nazi secret operation in Antarctica. As the Allies gather whatever forces they can divert to this new front of the war, a desperate race against time begins in the heart of the frozen continent, one last clash under the shadow of the Mountains of Madness to thwart this final plot of horror and madness.

Moderator: Overlord87

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: [IC - Chapter One] The Gathering

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm with an airborne unit too," Oliver says to Stogie, returning the salute, "but we say 'smoke 'em if you got 'em,' so-" He inhales deeply on his cigar, savoring the flavor before letting out a perfect smoke ring. "Now that's a quality cigar! I'm no aficionado, but I'm guessing it's Cuban. I don't know any more about this mission than the rest of you. One interesting thing is that there aren't any Soviets in our motley crew. Maybe the brass upstairs doesn't trust them so much."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Steveoknox24 »

"Vy Captain Kemp! I didn't take you for an existentialist." Amadeus' chuckles are met with blank stares. "My apologies, psychoanalytical humor."

For the first time, Amadeus notices the signs of trauma these men have experienced. All of the men have the unmistakable gaze of one who has seen those he cares for perish. He notices Tom's half an ear and shudders. "Zat question zough, Captain, iz clearly at ze heart of vy ve vere brought here. I assume you've all had enough experience with Allied Command to know not to trust our mission briefing to ze letter. And you certainly vouldn't need the likes of me for a routine, albeit long-distance, abandoned facility investigation. I can't give you any more news on zis particular mission, but I sure can clue you in on my previous ones."

Amadeus rolls the cigar between his fingers, talking at the rolled tobacco rather than the men around him. "I may not have ze... souvenirs... to prove it like you men do, but I assure you I am an integral part of the Allied forces. Zough too old to be a soldier in the conventional sense, for ze last year or so of ze war I've been a soldier of the soul. You see, sometime after America's success at Normandy, Hitler began to feel a certain desperation. He feared the Americans and needed reinforcements to combat zeir entrance into the fray. However, he did not look to conventional means to increase his forces. He turned to ze occult, trying to invoke the supernatural to subdue ze rest of ze vorld. Rumors began circulating zat Hitler had sent forces to Norzern Africa, looking for some magical buried box from ze Bible. Whispers of excavations of ancient temples believed to hold ze secrets of eternal life. And some rumors vere even more troubling. Some believe Hitler may have tried to contact ancient, dormant cosmic forces capable of destroying existence itself."

Amadeus pauses and the room remains silent. He starts again as some of the men try to approach the solemn figure, "And ze best person the Allies could find to stop him, vas me." He smirks. "In truf, zere vas never much I could do to stop the maniac. Razzer, I vas meant to find out if zese strange behaviors vere valid or mere eccentricities. Before now, ze only traveling I've done on ze part of ze military iz to dusty rooms of old libraries. So, if my aid iz needed in South America, greater horrors avait us zan German Stormtroopers."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I was in North Africa a good bit," says Oliver. "I didn't hear any rumors about these things, but I suppose I wouldn't have, given the secrecy. The Nazis were looking for the Ark of the Covenant? If they'd read the Bible, they'd know it would only bring them disaster if they found it. They're the last people in the world who could gain an advantage from it. I am aware that there are some unusual things in the world, but it hadn't occurred to me that someone could turn them into a weapon. I know enough to know that meddling with these forces is extremely dangerous, but I suppose the Nazis don't care what happens even to their own people, if they're desperate enough. It sure took them a long time to realize they were losing. I saw that back in December 1941."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Steveoknox24 »

"Oh, but you don't see my point Captain Oliver," Amadeus puts the cigar back into his mouth. "Wiff ze veapons Hitler is interested in, defeat iz impossible. Ven you're dealing wiv zat type of power, all sacrifices are justified."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Then we'll just have to make sure they can't get their hands on them," says Oliver.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by Overlord87 »

The conversation, suddenly turned serious, and a little disquieting, is interrupted by the arrival of another jeep carrying four men - the crew of the C47 by the looks of it. One of the men, wearing the ranks of a sergeant, walks towards you, makes a quick salute, and says: "Good morning. I'm Mark Sanders. Me and my crew will be flying you to the other side of the world. I've been told to expect six passengers so, since you are all here, we are ready to go when you are".
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years

Post by Mister Ginge »

Tom is glad of the interruption. "Thank you Sergeant. Looks like we're in your hands then. Have you any further information on our destination? We're a bit in the dark here."

Eyeing the plane, "Also, how equipped are we? Guns? Grenades? Tea?"
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

Laplanche gives a quick salute towards Sanders. "Ready whenever everyone else is." Then, to the SOE agent, with a grin on his face, "You Brits and your tea."
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Sergeant Sanders turns towards Tom and says: "Well mister, we've got a long flight ahead. The final destination is Job 9. That's a small base on HMS Isle, South Atlantic, just about as far as you can get from civilization. We'll stop in North Africa to refuel, then make a second jump to Ascension, and finally to our target. We had to install additional tanks inside - hope you won't mind the smell, it's not exactly as good as tea", he chuckles.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by leonardolad »

Smalls Salutes the pilot. "Captain Leander Kemp. Good to have you with us, Sergeant. Are these the only details you have? Your orders are just to drop us there or you and your crew are stayin' with us? Also, the gentleman there raised an important question. How are we in terms of equipment?"
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Sergeant Sanders answers: "I'm sorry, sir, I don't have additional information for you. I only have my orders. We fly you there, and we'll take you back once your mission is over".
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Stogie sizes up his fellow travellers. Hmmm, whata we got so far? British airborne - they definitely earn their pay. US pilot - all mad cowboys, good to have along. The civvie seems odd but he gave me a cigar. Other two look pretty useful in a scrap.

Stogie eyes the nearby trees. "I was hoping for a hot breakfast but I guess there's only time for a quick 'pit stop' then hop on board."
OOC,Does the plane have US or British markings? And what nationality or uniform are the crew?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm Captain Oliver Carpenter," says Oliver to the air crew. "Pleased to meet you. I'm ready now. Everything I've got is in here." He hefts his duffel bag.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Amadeus nods to the crew and stubs out his cigar on the floor. "Zat's a mighty long list of stops, sir. And I zought I vas becoming ze morose one." He smirks in a half-joke. "Aviation iz not my specialty. So if you'd excuse me, jus tell me where to drop my zings and vhere I can clear my head for a bit. I'm afraid flying sets me on an ill humor, as these fine soldiers can attest to." He looks apologetically at the men around him.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Sergeant Sanders turns towards the airplane and says: "Well then, follow me", he then walks towards the entrance, near the tail of the plane, and gestures you inside. Normally, there would be space for between 15 and 20 soldiers inside, plus some cargo and the 4 men of the crew. Now it's only the six of you, and even with the additional tanks, there's plenty of space. The interior stinks of fuel, though, as the sergeant said, and you'll have to sleep on the seats. This won't be the most comfortable journey of your life, but you'll survive. "We're finishing the pre-flight checks. Takeoff in fifteen minutes", he adds, before disappearing towards the control room.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by leonardolad »

Smalls put down his things in a corner and drops his body in one of the window seats. He then proceeds to look around and study the airplane with a critical eye. "Well, that's a fine plane. You better keep your cigars unlit, though, Doctor." He says, closely looking a rivet in the fuselage "Unless you wanna turn us into a goddam' fireball."
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Amadeus puts his comparatively light duffle bag next to Smalls' things and takes the available window seat behind him. "A whole flight wizzout a smoke?! Vhat is zis vorld coming to?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sure they'll let us out for a smoke at the refueling stops," says Oliver, plopping down and stowing his duffel. "Just so long as we're well away from the fuel."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

OOC:   As a matter of interest, does the plane have British or US military markings? And what nation and service's uniform are the crew in? RAF?  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

OOC:   The plane and the crew seem to be from the american forces.  

Return to “Assault on the Mountains of Madness”