IC-Ep 2-Keep Calm and Carry On(Phyllis Cruckshank only)

Story and his friends investigate and soon identify those behind the monster's appearance, which leads to a deadly confrontation for Brook and Eugene and the arrival of something truly horrific.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-Keep Calm and Carry On(Phyllis Cruckshank only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, no," said Mrs. Ridgely. "I don't even know his name. She seemed over the moon about him, though. She went out with chaps quite a bit, did Nell, but she never spoke in such glowing terms about one before. Handsome, she said he was, and he walked with a limp. Terrible shame she was killed in the bombing..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

ooc,Help, sorry! I can remember the german pilot at the shelter. Was there an English one floating about too?
"Strange, the witnesses said nothing about an RAF officer." Phyllis thinks for a moment. "Do you know of any next of kin, Mrs Ridgely? Otherwise the WI could help you dispose of Nell's belongings; it all goes to a good home."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Nell never talked much about her family," said Mrs. Ridgely. "I don't know who they are. Thank you, ma'am, that would be a great help. Her room is right up the stairs, on the left."
OOC,There's [b]John Barrow[/b], who's an American volunteer with the RAF. He came back with those who had gone to the warehouse during the air raid, having bailed out of his plane. You haven't seen any English RAF officers.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"That's very good of you, Mrs Ridgely. We could make an inventory now and then come back later once we know what to do best with it all." Phyllis finishes her tea and stands up.
"Which is the spare room? We can take a quick look at it while we are there, for my neice. On my part, I'm very happy with the situation but I can't guarantee what Jane will do; you know what young girls are like these days. No, don't get up, Mrs Ridgely, finish your tea; Mrs Duncan and I can holler if we need assistance."
She looks at Maggie and makes to leave for the hallway.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course," said Mrs. Ridgely. "Betsy's old room is also at the top of the stairs, but on the right."

Maggie went up the stairs with Phyllis. The hall was narrow, with closed doors on the left and the right. At the end of the hall were two more closed doors, one on either side, and another at the end.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Lawks, but these stairs are steep!" puffs Phyllis. "It didn't feel right telling Mrs Ridgely about the wild animal; not until it's been confirmed anyway, cause of death and such. Here we are finally. Let's have a look at Nell's room then, poor girl." Phyllis opens the door on the left and pushes it open. She walks in.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The bedroom was small and cramped,though Mrs. Ridgely would probably have referred to it as "cosy." There was a small bed in one corner with a nightstand containing a drawer next to it. A dresser stood opposite them. Against the right wall was a closet. The window at the back of the room was shrouded by a blackout curtain.

Maggie followed Phyllis into the room, having caught her breath after climbing the stairs. There was barely room for the two of them, but they could still move around each other.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Phyllis sniffs. "No damp." She bumps into Maggie, "Sorry dear, these attic rooms are always so pokey. I'm not sure I'd want a neice of mine staying here." She goes to the nightstand and pulls at the drawer. "When do you think Nell was last here?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Maggie ran an experimental finger across the dresser's surface to gauge the depth of the dust. "Yesterday, I expect," she said. "Can't imagine the landlady would dust her tenants' rooms for them."

Phyllis slid open the drawer, which contained a small book with a red leather cover and no title.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"No, that's very true. Have a look in the drawers to see what's there, Maggie. I wonder if we can find anything about her beau." Phyllis pockets the book, looks under the bed and then goes to open the closet.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

There was nothing under the bed but more dust, a lot more than a day's worth. It seemed Nell hadn't bothered to dust under there. The closet and the dresser drawers contained a variety of clothes, and there were also several pairs of shoes in different colors and styles on the closet floor. They were rather on the expensive side, and some of the clothes were rather risque. "Quite daring, was our Nell," said Maggie. "Could be something in that book you found. I expect it's her diary."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Phyllis casts her eye over some of the items as Maggie holds them up. "Those look expensive; gifts, perhaps? I can't even tell what that garment is supposed to be! All this would go down well at the thrift shop. Do you think we can carry it all now? I was going to wait until later to look at the diary but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to take a gander at it now." She retrieves the red book and scans the pages.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Some of these clothes don't look decent enough to wear," said Maggie with a tsk. "Still, make do and mend. The material will still be useful if nothing else."

Phyllis flipped through the book, which was indeed a diary. It covered the last year or so, approximately from the beginning of the war, and it detailed her life as a prostitute, in salacious detail. While she had encounters with many men, she did not seem to develop feelings for them, though she clearly had a heart that longed to fall in love. It was only in the last entry where this changed:

"September 6, 1940,

I met the most darling man today! Jimmy is quite dashing and handsome, an RAF pilot. He lost his leg and nearly his life defending our country from the Jerries. He's married, which is not unusual for my clients, but it does mean I may not be able to keep him for myself. Still, I'll enjoy his company while I can. He's awfully shy when I bring up business, which is also not unusual, but I'm sure he'll partake of the forbidden fruit in the end. They always do. He said he'd like to see me some evening."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Hmm, maybe we could make Christmas decorations from the material I suppose." says Phyllis, not really listening as she concentrates on the diary, "Goodness me, Maggie, this is enough to... gosh the brazeness of it! It's all very well that Nell sunk to the lowest of the low but that she should write as she does - scandalous!
But, she seemed lonely, for all that. Wait, here it is about the pilot - only his first name, Jimmy; not a lot to go on but we can ask at the barracks. He's married and I get the feeling he's not he usual type. Still, we can see what we can do."

Phyllis slips the diary into her handbag and helps Maggie collect all the garments. "I've got a clean shopping bag here; anything we can't carry we'll pick up later." Once they are loaded up she leads the way back downstairs. "There's RAF Northolt and the airfield in Croydon and isn't the Air HQ in Middlesex somewhere? It might be very difficult tracking a single pilot down. That's if he even came from round London." She grumbles as she treads slowly down the stairs.
ooc,Where would Phyllis think to go to enquire about a pilot?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b], please roll Idea and Know.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

idea and know,Idea (70%) roll: 56 Know (85%) roll: 89
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Phyllis remembered that one of the people in the shelter last night had been an RAF pilot. He might be able to help.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"We could go home via the church, maybe that pilot who was in the shelter might be there." Phyllis says to Maggie as she enters the sitting room to find Mrs Ridgely. "We've got most of it here and can take it now if you like dear; it'll save you being bothered later. The room is fine; II'll be sure to let Jane know it's available when she comes up to London next week. If it's alright with you, we'll bustle off as we have a sermon to catch! Can we do anything else for you mrs Ridgely?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, dears, you've done plenty," said Mrs. Ridgely. "Have a good day."

Phyllis and Maggie left and returned to the church.
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b] is moving to the thread linked below:
Bloody Sunday
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 2”