IC-Ep 2-The Morning After(Benjamin/Eugene/Anna)

Story and his friends investigate and soon identify those behind the monster's appearance, which leads to a deadly confrontation for Brook and Eugene and the arrival of something truly horrific.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-The Morning After(Benjamin/Eugene/Anna)

Post by HelplessBystander »

Anna regretted her decisions instantly. Through gritted teeth, she managed to squeeze out her address so as to not appear impolite. "Oh, uh, my house is about a way up at the, uh, third street down under the intersection between Trump Street and Russia Row, the eighth house on the right, a non descript house with an aging Dutch roof. It might be a bit challenging to find my house, but it should be there." She said tiredly, and tried to convince herself that she did not just waste four pounds buying something useless.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Laura had been sitting with a vacant stare the whole time. She folded her arms on the table, pressed her face into them, and began to quietly cry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Anna stared at the young lady behind her, and walked towards the young woman with a placating smile. “Hello miss, are you okay?” Anna said with a soothing voice as she tried to identify the exact nature of young lady’s neurosis. Was it a preexisting trauma? And breakup? Or is it something else? “My name’s Anna, I’m a doctor, you can tell me if there’s anything wrong.”

Anna may not always be the kindest person in the room nor the smartest, but she believes that she could try to help the woman. There’s a reason she took up psychology, after all.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Laura looked up. "Of course there's something wrong," she sobbed, looking up. "Bombs have been raining down on London all night!"
OOC,[b]Anna[/b], you may roll Psychology.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Anna placated the young woman with a soothing tone as she tries to implement the practical techniques that she had learnt years before to effective calm down a victim of 'hysteria'. It might work, or it might not. "It's okay, everything's fine, miss. Look at me in the eye and breath, that's right, gentle breathing. Breath in, breath out; do you feel better? The war isn't over yet, I'm afraid there's going to be plenty of opportunities for you to cry in the future as well, so we need you to be ready. Tell me, miss, how do you feel right now? Are your parents deceased?"
Psychology 75%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, at least as far as I know," said Laura. "After last night, who knows? My mum's working in a munitions factory, and my dad's in the Home Guard. How do I feel? I'm bloody terrified! The Nazis are knocking over country after country. They got Austria and Czechoslovakia without a fight, and since then they've grabbed Poland, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, and France. And now it's our turn! I just don't see how they can be stopped."
Anna Jerkins,[b]Anna[/b] could tell that [b]Laura[/b] was being sincere. She was indeed terrified and overwhelmed. She had no signs of mental illness, just the kind of anxiety that someone living in these times would normally have, though she clearly had it to an elevated degree.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Anna tried to see if she could use hypnotic suggestions to calm down Laura. "Everything is fine. The Nazis are never going to win; they are never going to invade Britain. Repeat after me, everything is fine..." Anna said with a professionally detached voice as she tried to help Laura get back on her feet as quickly and as effectively as possible. "After this whole thing is over, maybe you should go and have a talk with your parents; especially your mother, and I believe this would be a good idea to try out."
Psychoanalysis 90%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Can I...can I spend 10 Luck points to alter my roll? :cry:  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, what do you know?!" snapped Laura. She pressed her face back onto her folded arms and began to weep again.
OOC,Sorry, no spending Luck in 6th edition. That roll is a critical failure, and it represents in irreparable break between the psychoanalyst and the patient. You will not be able to successfully treat her again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Oh goddammit, Anna cursed inwardly; she messed up big time. Maybe the Blitz was getting to her, as she made a few more attempts to console the woman before gradually giving up and being forced to exit feeling absolutely miserable about both herself and her own inability to help the young woman in front of her. Gloomily, she returned to eating food as she further chided herself for being unable to help.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Pastiche »

"Don't worry, Laura". Benjamin walked over to her and patted her on the back, in an avuncular sort of way. "I'm sure the German's won't get us. I've escaped them once before, I'm sure we can do it again!"

He hopes he sounds more convincing than he feels...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Laura only cried and sniffled.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ZadokAllen
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by ZadokAllen »

"Don't worry lass, everything is gonna be alright" Eugene tries to comfort here.
Fast Talk: 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Anna remained in the background and signed in resignation. She knew enough about this situation to know that it might be a good idea to distance herself from the woman for a while, there's a high chance that the woman will lash out if she prodded further at this precise moment. Instead, she tried to focuse on the breakfast in front of her and wait for service to begin. She decided to, at the very least, try again after the service ends to see if she could do offer further help.
OOC:   My character is a psychiatrist; even though I rolled a Crit. Failure, my character don't have an in-game incentive to abandon interest after only one failed attempt. However, is there anything else for Anna to focuse on at this moment? Is it possible for her to still be on friendly terms with Laura after that incident?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Laura took out a handkerchief and dried her eyes. "Thank you for trying to make me feel better," she said. "I just wish I could see how things will be all right."

"If you stay for services," said Giles Curry, "perhaps I can help you understand."

"All right, I'll do that."
OOC,Yes, you can still be on friendly terms with [b]Laura[/b], and you can still try to help her. You just won't succeed with Psychoanalysis on her any more.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Miss Laura, I'm sorry about my actions a few moments ago. I profusely apologise if any of my actions offended you in any way. I was only trying to help." Anna said, turning towards Laura with a friendly smile on her face as she attempted to be friendly.
OOC:   Cool. got it.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Laura gave Anna a weak smile in return. "It's all right," she said. "I'm sorry I yelled at you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Anna responded with a hollow laugh. "Haha...sorry about earlier, again. It's just...I work at a sanitarium nearby. I just kinda ended up, um, bit too intrusive, I guess. My name's Anna Jerkins, you can call me Anna. The day's pretty awful, eh?" She tried making a joke, not knowing whether she managed to succeeded in sounding humorous. "I think there's some Earl Grey over there. You might want to have some. It calms the nerves, I think."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," said Laura taking a cup of tea and sipping it with shaking hands. "Yes, horrible day. I just hope it doesn't happen again. How could they have so many planes, so many bombs? They're softening us up, aren't they, before the invasion?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Doubt it. Their attempts at invasion are ham-fisted at best. Let's focus on surviving the dangerous nights and we leave the whole 'stopping the war' thing for another day, when you're feel better. How about that? We live in dangerous times, and it'll be challenging to keep it together, but my job is to make sure as many people gets to keep it together." Anna said patting Laura on the shoulder empathetically.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They may be ham-fisted, but they're bloody effective," said Laura. "Every country they've invaded has been knocked over in short order. Their invasions haven't failed once! France fell in six weeks, and they had a bigger army than we do, and that was with us helping to defend them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 2”