IC-Ep 1-Rain of Death(Everyone)

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook arrive in London in September 1940, in the middle of an air raid. They discover the body of a woman who has apparently been killed by something unnatural. They meet air raid warden Eddie Lawlor, who guides them to an air raid shelter where several others have taken refuge. A German airman also arrives, claiming that his bomber was downed by a monster.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 1-Rain of Death(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

St. James's Church - London, England
8:50 PM - Saturday, September 7, 1940

Eddie Lawlor, Story, Elizabeth, and Brook stood facing Archie Pennyfeather at the top of a narrow staircase leading down to the church's basement, where the promised air raid shelter was. Those still below in the shelter could not see what was happening upstairs, but they could hear it just fine now. The sounds of airplanes above were louder now, and the formerly distant explosions were getting uncomfortably close. There was also the sound of machine gun fire far above, an indicator of aerial combat. The RAF appeared to have joined the fray at last.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Rain of Death(Everyone)

Post by Steveoknox24 »

"Archie?! Everything ok?" In an odd way, the machine guns normalize the whole experience. However, there's still urgency in Seamus' voice.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Archie beams happily at the new arrivals. "Welcome one and all, lovely to have more guests but perhaps we might get you safely downstairs before we chat further?"
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook, a darkhaired teenage girl dressed almost entirely in black, nods and hurries down the narrow stairs, glancing upwards whenever she can hear an explosion. "Hello..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

There were several people in the air raid shelter in the basement of the church. Some of them were hiding under spare pews that were stored down here, such as a pretty young woman with blonde hair. In contrast, two old ladies sat calmly on another pew. A well-dressed gentleman sat on yet another, reading a newspaper. There were a couple of elderly men, as well as the handsome Irishman in his thirties who had addressed their greeter as Archie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Pastiche »

Benjamin scrambles out from under his pew to greet the newcomers, and extends his hand. "Well met, everyone, my name is Benjamin Klein, tailor, at your service!".

He continues with a worried look on his face: "How is the situation out there?"
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

"Evening everyone," says Eddie. "Glad you all made it safe in 'ere tonight. Looks like it's gonna be a rough 'un."

He looks at the three strangers he met in the warehouse, aware of unfinished business..
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

One of the old ladies gets to her feet quite slowly but once up, strides forward with purpose.
"Oh you poor dears! Come in, come in! Now Reverend, did I see a big tea urn earlier? It's about time we broached the refreshments; these poor people look like they've had quite a journey."

Mrs Cruckshank pats Thorn on the arm,
"Was it so very rough out there dear? Well don't you worry you'll be much safer down here, not totally safe you understand but safer at least. Come on Mrs Duncan, stir yourself; we mustn't let the Women's Institute down!"
She bustles into the gloom of the undercrypt hoping that Rector Giles Curry had the foresight to organise tea of some sort.
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook smiles friendly at the elder woman, and glances around the shelter at the other present. "It sure sounded like it's starting to get bad. Good thing Eddie here found us and showed us the way, it's near impossible to know where you're going up there in the dark. I'm Brook, by the way."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The other old woman hustled over to Brook's other side. "Pleased to meet you, luv," she said. "I'm Mrs. Maggie Duncan, and this is Mrs. Cruckshank. My, you're a pretty lass and no mistake!"

The second old man fetched a tea tray and shuffled over. "Welcome to St. James's Church," he said in a raspy voice. "I'm Giles Curry, the rector here."

The gentleman looked up from his newspaper. "Good evening," he said. "I'm Lord Rufus Colville."

"I'm L-Laura," said the young lady cowering under a pew.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

After everyone else has entered the bomb shelter, Archie reappears and shuts the door behind him. For those seeing him in a lit room for the first time, he is a quite short, cheery looking soul of middle years, wearing a black Royal Navy uniform complete with a number of campaign ribbons, topped off by a clergyman's collar.

"Right, that's the lot for the moment I think, unless any of you saw other people upstairs? Do let me know if anyone up above is in need of assistance. I'm Archie Pennyfeather and you're all most welcome. We've been playing cards using part of Benjamin's excellent tarot deck."

Archie looks at each of the new faces for signs of panic or distress.
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Seamus waves to the newcomers and paces the room. "Name's Seams O'Leary. The runt of this here litter."
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

OOC:   I'll be in rural France til Monday 10th July with very limited internet access. May be able to make the odd post on my phone but please feel free to NPC my character in the meantime  
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Thank you Reverend," says Elizabeth. "It's such a relief to be somewhere safe, given what is going on outside. Thank you all for such a warm welcome. My name is Elizabeth." She smiles warmly around the room, genuinely relieved to be safe, and also touched by the varied group gathering here for safety and the resilience of humanity. It also reminds her of her childhood, though she never saw the Blitz.
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story takes in the group before him. He waits as his companions introduce themselves and then says, "Tell me... Father is it? Anyways, has there been any strange things of late? Animals attacking and killing folks?" He smiles. After a moment it dawns on him that he hasn't introduced himself. He extends his hand and says, "Please forgive me... the name is Professor Story, but no need for titles, just call me Story."
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Curry shook Story's hand, though with his advanced age, the handshake was rather weak. "You are welcome, all of you," he said. "Animal attacks?" He gave Story a puzzled look. "No, I've not heard of anything like that, Story. The bombing is bad enough."

"Killer animals on the loose?!" cried the young woman under the pew. "That's all we need! Did they escape from the zoo somehow? Maybe it was bombed!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook looks at Story, thinking of the closed door. To the people in the shelter, the teenage girl does not look particularly distressed or panicked, simply a bit worried. She gratefully accepts a cup of tea from the rector, while nodding to everyone who introduces themselves.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Archie greets each of the new guests individually. He shakes Eddie's hand, tickles the kitten behind the ear and congratulates him on the bravery of the air raid wardens. He somewhat more gently takes Elizabeth's hand in both of his and welcomes her also, and does the same for Brook. Taking in Brook's attire, Archie looks slightly amazed, but does his polite best to not make her uncomfortable. "The rationing and what we are asking our young women to do for this wretched war are certainly having an impact on young ladies fashions. So different from my university days. But you are all most welcome."

Archie is slightly amused that Story was intercepted by the good Reverend Curry, suspecting Story had been addressing him. "And I am also a reverend. The lads generally call me Rev, or just Archie. Professor Story? Jolly good, may I ask what field? And what university?" He asks this with open-faced enthusiasm for academia.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Pastiche »

"Animal attacks you say? What kind of animals are you talking about? Sometimes there are rabid dogs prowling the streets of the East End obviously, that can give you a nasty bite, but killing people? I've never heard such a thing..."
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Seamus is stunned at Story's mention of animals. Sweat beads upon his forehead and his voice quivers: "Yes, Story. Please elaborate on that fact."

Return to “Episode 1”