IC-Ep 1-The Shelter(Everyone else)

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook arrive in London in September 1940, in the middle of an air raid. They discover the body of a woman who has apparently been killed by something unnatural. They meet air raid warden Eddie Lawlor, who guides them to an air raid shelter where several others have taken refuge. A German airman also arrives, claiming that his bomber was downed by a monster.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-The Shelter(Everyone else)

Post by andyw666 »

Archie nods happily. "I'm pretty sure a tarot deck would do fine, if you don't mind us all using it. We just have to take out the esoteric cards. Fascinating history, the tarot deck."

Archie will quickly sort through the deck, if Benjamin has no objections. "What would everyone like to play, whist, bridge, poker? All for honour or matchsticks of course"

To Benjamin, he adds, "Not to pry, old boy, but that's an unusual thing to carry around with you all the time. Are you a bit of a tarot aficionado?"
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Finally, Seamus seems animated. He walks over to the quickly forming group, "Now this is more me speed. But the bigger question isn't what shall we play, but what say we wager?"
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

"Now, now, Old Boy, as I said before, we're playing for matchsticks and the honour of victory. We can hardly gamble in an air raid shelter under a church, I'm pretty sure that's against the law. And immoral. But we can still have fun with matches!" Archie holds up a box of matches to make his point and shakes them encouragingly.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Pastiche »

"There are fascinating connections between Tarot and Kaballah, but I'm sure you don't want to listen to an old man's ramblings". Benjamin smiles apologetically.
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Seamus looks at Archie with a wry, charming smile. "I'm sorry fella but me ma taught me playing with matches was mighty dangerous. And I always found her wrath mightier than the lord's. Besides, there are other things of value to wager besides money. Information, in my experience, is often priceless. It may behoove us to learn a bit about each other while we wait."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

To Benjamin, Archie replies, "Kabbalah? That's a kind of theological study that originated from Judaism, isn't it? I'm afraid I don't know a great deal about it but I'm always interested to learn more, especially anything with an historical aspect."

To Seamus, Archie replies, "Well old son, I'm an open book but you're still most welcome to gamble for personal history along with matchsticks if it makes you happy. As long as there's no money involved. Archie Pennyfeather, at your service, by the way."
OOC,Can [b]Archie[/b] make a snappy roll in something to know a little bit about Kabbalah? History?
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

Ah, the history of Kaballah goes back a long way, some even say to the Garden of Eden itself!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Archie[/b], please roll Occult to see if you know any details about Kabbalah.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,[b]Archie's[/b] [i]Occult[/i] is 5% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
(As a good meat-and-potatoes CofE minister, Archie really knows nothing about the occult.)

"Do tell,", Archie encourages Benjamin as he deals out a hand to those who want to play and shares out matchsticks.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

"Well, in a nutshell...", Benjamin begins, "Kaballah is all about trying to get a glimpse of the Nature of the Universe the Creator's Plan for the World by studying the hidden meaning of ancient texts. Numbers and sacred cyphers play a big role there....
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Archie nods encouragingly. "Indeed? And how old are the oldest texts on the subject, do you know? I do love placing things historically."

To Seamus, Archie asks, "And where in Ireland are you from, old son?"
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

"That would have to be the Torah and the rest of the Tenach, more than 2500 years old..."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Mrs Cruckshank tut tuts under her breath and her knitting needles fly a shade faster.
"I'm afraid I don't hold with heathen practices, Mrs Duncan. It's a slippery slope and no mistake; one has no idea where it can take one. I once knew a gentleman, knew of I should say, who collected those African masks. Great ugly evil things they were. How he could sleep at night with them hanging on his walls, leering, I can't imagine. Anyhow, he caught a bad case of consumption and didn't last the year. So it just goes to show. And I don't hold with gambling neither."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Too right, Mrs. Cruckshank," said Maggie, nodding sagely. "Such things bring nothing but grief."

Giles smiled. "Well spoken, ladies," he said, approaching with a thick book. "Some Bible study is what we need. Perhaps one of the Psalms. I always find them comforting."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Archie nods at Benjamin. "Yes, of course you're quite right. As a matter of interest though, are there any ancient texts that speak specifically about kabbalah? Or put another way, what would be the first writing dedicated specifically to the topic, I wonder?"
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

Benjamin thinks for a while. Well, in the beginning it was mainly a secret oral tradition. Important early mystical writings are those of Ben Zakkai in the first century, although it wasn't called Kaballah back then...
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Archie nods enthusiastically to Benjamin. "I really am going to have to do some more reading on the topic."

Hands of cards are dealt and scrutinised...

Turning again to Seamus, Archie asks, "So where in Ireland are you from, old son?"
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Seamus smirks, self-satisfied by what he's caused. Information i's everything.

He snaps out of his thoughts at the sound of Archie's voice. "Place called Killanny," he says. "I got a prize for ya if you could tell me where on the Green Isle that is."

From his breast pocket Seams takes out a small flask. He shakes it to display the considerable volume left within the metal container.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Everyone who is playing cards, please roll Luck. None of the NPCs are playing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple