IC-Ep 1-Darkness(Story/Elizabeth/Brook)

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook arrive in London in September 1940, in the middle of an air raid. They discover the body of a woman who has apparently been killed by something unnatural. They meet air raid warden Eddie Lawlor, who guides them to an air raid shelter where several others have taken refuge. A German airman also arrives, claiming that his bomber was downed by a monster.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Darkness(Story/Elizabeth/Brook)

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The door in question leads outside.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth shudders, aghast at the thought of a creature that could do that to a person, and also cope with a door. "I don't know, Brook, I can't imagine anything that could, at least not that I know of. Though I suppose we've seen enough in our travels to know that anything is possible." She pauses for a moment, thinking. "Should we check her purse do you think? Or maybe seek help? Surely there must be some authorities around who should know about this. But then again where - and when - are we ..."
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story looks from the girl to the door and says, "Well, it's either back to the Tardis... or we attempt to find out what did this to her and maybe even stop another death. After all, the Tardis always takes us where we are needed."
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook stands up again, and moves towards the door, careful not to step in the trail of blood. She reaches slowly for the handle, listening intently for any sound from the outside. Glancing back towards the others, she shrugs a little and tries to open the door.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The door was not locked, and it opened at Brook's touch. It was just as dark outside as it was inside, but she could feel the chill of the night wind. Shining her electric torch through the open door, she could see a deserted street outside stretching away to the left and right. In the middle of the street was a large pool of blood, from which the trail led right up to and through the door she had opened. It struck her as odd that there were no lights visible at all in what had to be the twentieth century.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

She turns to the others. "Looks like the power's down. It's totally dark out there, no light from any lamp post or windows at all. From the look of things, there should be. I mean...Electricity has been invented and all. I can see where she was attacked, I think. There's a pool of blood in the street."
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"That is strange," says Elizabeth. "Ok I'm going to check her purse to see if it gives us any clues." She braces herself, and reaches down carefully, trying hard not to touch the body or any blood. She pulls at the purse, to see if she can pull it away from the body, and look inside it.
Spoiler:
OOC,Note I'm assuming by purse you mean the US meaning, which we British would call a handbag. We use a purse for what you would probably call a wallet, i.e. a small container for money, payment cards etc. But I'm assuming this is a handbag, given that it is slung over her shoulder.
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story edges up beside Brook and leans out the door and says, "Yes... strange indeed." He then places his finger to his lip and proceeds to listen for any sounds of shuffling... or a charging monster.
OOC,Listen - 34% [dice]0[/dice]
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elizabeth opened the handbag and looked through it. Inside were various odds and ends, but a few things looked relevant. She had a decent amount of money on her, a good deal more than someone of her social class would be expected to have. The coins and notes for the most part bore the image of King George VI, though many had King George V. They seemed to have various dates in the 1930s, with some as late as 1939 and 1940. There were also two cards in there. One was an identity card that named the deceased woman as Nell Murrow, with an address in Whitechapel, London. The card had been issued in late 1939. Elizabeth knew from personal experience that such cards were introduced in World War Two, but they had been abolished in 1952. There was also a ration card, another familiar sight for Elizabeth, who had lived with rationing for most of her life. It had only ended in 1954, not long before she had joined the TARDIS crew. This card was also in the name of Nell Murrow and had been issued in January 1940.
Story,Now that the door was open, [b]Story[/b] could hear something outside, far above and very distant. It was a faint droning sound, and it seemed more mechanical than beastly. Probably an aircraft of some kind.
OOC,Yes, it's a handbag. I thought I'd been doing well using British words and phrases instead of American ones, but I missed that one. I did correctly use handbag in the air raid shelter thread, at least. I guess I'd better watch more British TV. ;) [b]Elizabeth[/b] and [b]Brook[/b] may roll Listen as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook listen[dice]0[/dice]
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Ok ..." says Elizabeth, slowly processing the information. "The coins in her handbag are mainly from King George VI's time plus some from King George V, and most importantly she has a ration card in here, issued in 1940, and a wartime identity card, issued in 1939. You say it's dark outside Brook, as though the power's out? I think this might be World War Two, and it's dark because of the blackout. Her handbag also reveals her name, poor thing. She was Nell Murrow from Whitechapel, London. So we're in London? She also has a lot of money in here, more than I would expect." She closes the handbag, and puts it back down carefully beside the body.
Last edited by yockenthwaite on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth rolling Listen (stat 42%)
[dice]0[/dice]
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook quickly switches off her flashlight. "Oh...blackout. Perhaps we shouldn't let any light out then." She listens for any noise.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Just before Brook switched off the torch, all three of them heard a man shouting outside in the distance: "Cor blimey! Who the bloody 'ell's that?!" This was followed by the sound of a bicycle approaching from the same direction. They could also hear a faint droning sound outside, far above and very distant, most likely aircraft. Elizabeth hadn't heard all that many planes growing up in rural Scotland during the war, though some (almost always Allied) had flown over from time to time on their way somewhere else. While she could not identify the exact type of aircraft, she could tell by the noise that they were heavier planes, which meant bombers - and there were more than a few of them...
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"That sounds like bomber planes coming in, and fast. Can we seek shelter anywhere do you think?" says Elizabeth urgently to the others. "Outside, maybe where those voices are?"
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook nods, then looks outside towards the sound of the bicycle and the man's voice calling. "Uh, yeah, sorry about that. Do you know of a shelter nearby?" she calls back.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth goes quickly over to beside Story and Brook, ready to run to any shelter as soon as possible. Having grown up in the War, albeit in a rural area, she is only too painfully aware of the need for speed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

As Elizabeth caught up to Story and Brook, a man in his forties appeared in the open doorway, looking inside. He wore a dark uniform and a round white helmet with a brim. Black letters "ARP" were on the helmet.
OOC,Eveyrone is moving to the thread linked below:
The Storm Breaks
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1”