Page 1 of 1

Character Creation/Rules

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy
The following rules are for character creation for new characters from 1940 (use the Modern 6th edition Call of Cthulhu character sheet, modified as detailed below):
  • Roll 3d6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP.
  • Roll 2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT.
  • Roll 3d6+3 for EDU.
  • Roll 1d10 for personal wealth, using the 1920s wealth chart for 6th edition.
You can use the board's built-in dice roller (the instructions are here), or a different online dice roller such as orokos.com to make your rolls, both for character creation and in the game.

Those are the only rolls you need to make for character creation. You are free to distribute the 3d6 rolls among the five stats that are rolled on 3d6, as well as to choose which 2d6+6 roll goes to SIZ and which to INT. EDU can be raised by making your character older. If you're still not satisfied with your rolls, let me know and we'll work something out. If your rolls are abnormally low, I may permit a reroll of the entire set.

You'll also need to decide on your character's age. The minimum age allowed is EDU+6, but you can always choose to make your character older. For every 10 full years above the minimum, you get +1 to your EDU (which also gets you an extra 20 occupational skill points). However, for every full 10 years above 40 (i.e., starting at age 50), you must reduce one of the following stats by 1: STR, CON, DEX, or APP.

Your character has the following derived stats:
Idea: INT x 5
Luck: POW x 5
Know: EDU x 5 (maximum of 99)
Damage Bonus: Calculate STR+SIZ and consult the following table
  • 12 or less: -1d6
  • 13-16: -1d4
  • 17-24: +0
  • 25-32: +1d4
  • 33 or more: +1d6
Maximum Hit Points: (CON+SIZ)/2 (round fractions up)
Maximum Magic Points: POW
Starting Sanity: POW x 5

You get 20 x EDU occupational skill points that can only be used to increase skills for your chosen profession. You also get 10 x INT hobby skill points that can be spent to increase any skills (even the ones for your occupation if you really want). The only skill that cannot be raised is Cthulhu Mythos, which always starts at 0%. The other skills have base levels of 1% or higher, and the points you spend add to those base levels. To see the list of skills and their starting levels, see Elizabeth Young's character sheet in the Character Sheets thread (it's not currently up in this game, but you can find it in The Brotherhood of Death here). It is identical to the standard Modern Era character sheet (6th edition), minus the new special skills for this era. Here are some additions to the character sheet, which are taken from Laraqua's Home Front monograph draft:
  • Anti-Aircraft Gun (01%): This skill is used for firing an anti-aircraft gun.
  • War Prestige (01%): This skill measures your reputation specifically related to work you've done for the war effort. The higher this skill, the more people have heard of what you've done. This does not necessarily correspond with your actual contribution. Codebreakers, for example, aided the war effort tremendously, yet because of the highly secret nature of their work, nobody should have heard about what they've done. This can be possibly increased during the adventure if you do something important to aid the war effort about which people learn.
Check the "Doing Your Bit" thread (when I post it) for possible character concepts (including ones specific to wartime London) and lists of occupational skills, as well as how to incorporate your wartime work into character creation. If you have something else in mind, let me know your character concept and I can give you a suitable list of occupational skills. The occupational skills for many professions are also listed in the 6th edition Call of Cthulhu rulebook, if you have it. Some of these lists allow you to choose one or more of your occupational skills. Just make sure it's within reason for your chosen occupation.

I won't be imposing a cap for starting skills, but you should justify any exceptionally high skills you have in your character background. 75% in a skill means that you're an expert. 90% means that you're one of the best in the world. Spend all your skill points during character creation, as they're of no use once the game is underway.

Re: Character Creation/Rules

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:50 am
by andyw666
Hi Mr Handy,

I was thinking I would retire Decius with honour (assuming he lives that long) at the end of The Brotherhood. I have a hankering to play a Naval Chaplain, do you think such a character could be squeezed into this scenario? I'm thinking he could be temporarily assigned between ships to a "stone frigate" naval base or a hospital in London / wherever we are.

Cheers,

Andy

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
A Naval Chaplain would be excellent! You should use the Clergyman occupational skill list (Accounting, History, Library Use, Listen, Other Language, Persuade, Psychology, and one other skill as a personal or era specialty). You can use your chosen specialty skill and your hobby skill points to reflect your Royal Navy training if you've only joined since the war began. If you're playing a career military chaplain, you may use either the Clergyman or the Military Officer occupational skill list (Accounting, Bargain, Credit Rating, Law, Navigate, Persuade, Psychology, and one other skill as a personal or era specialty). Your rank would most likely be Lieutenant or Lieutenant Commander. Note that British military chaplains in World War Two were unarmed, though that's not to say you can't have skills in firearms. However, they will not be standard issue or part of your military training.

There are military hospitals in and around London where you could work. One that I know of is Orpington, to the southeast of London (though not that long a commute by train or bus if you live in London). It is part of Greater London since it was incorporated in 1965, but in 1940 it was part of County Kent. Those injured at Dunkirk were treated there. One hospital that is closer to the action is St. Bartholomew's in the City of London, but that is a civilian hospital.

The scenario begins on the evening of Saturday, September 7, 1940, the first day of the Blitz. The first wave began in late afternoon, and all of the characters from 1940 will be in an air raid shelter at the outset located in the East End near the edge of the City. Characters don't need to reside in the East End or the City, but they do need to have been in that area on that afternoon, whether to work nearby, to eat a meal, to visit a tourist attraction (the Tower of London and Tower Bridge are nearby), or for some other reason. Characters don't need to be from London, or even from Britain at all. In addition to being from other parts of the Empire or the Commonwealth (Canada, India, South Africa, Australia, and elsewhere), there were plenty of foreign visitors to London even during (or because of) the war, including a number of Americans. Reporters would not be unusual at all. Some people were in Britain at the outbreak of war and did want to risk ocean travel with U-Boats on the prowl. There are also plenty of refugees who have fled from Nazi-occupied Europe. Enemy aliens (from Italy or the Greater German Reich) would have generally been interned, however.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 am
by andyw666
Brilliant! As a lifelong Sherlock Holmes fan, I am of course immediately drawn to the idea of my PC working, even temporarily assigned, at St Bart's!! Perhaps he's there for all the men and women in uniform being treated at the hospital (I assume they were being treated in every hospital to some extent?). Otherwise, assign him to the one you suggested in Orpington and he could just have been visiting someone in St Bart's, it's all good.

I shall start creating him in earnest on Thursday as I have the day off and will be able to think straight.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:14 pm
by Mr. Handy
Great! St. Bart's will work well. A wing of it was set aside to treat wounded troops in the First World War, so the same was most likely done the second time around. It will also treat victims of the Blitz now that that is starting.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 am
by andyw666
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice] + 6 = 8
[dice]6[/dice] + 6 = 18
[dice]7[/dice] + 3 = 16
[dice]8[/dice]

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Nice rolling, except for the 4 and the 8! Still, you've got a 15, a 16 in EDU (which can be raised further by aging your character), and two 18s, and your stats overall are above average. Your income is $7500 per year, which is about 1500 pounds (one pound being worth approximately five dollars). You have assets worth five times that much, or 7500 pounds. That includes 750 pounds available in cash, 750 pounds in assets easily convertible to cash, and the rest in other assets - primarily your home, most likely. It could also easily include a car, though petrol is rationed. You're fairly well off, so you might even have two homes, one in London and one in the country.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:44 am
by andyw666
Amusing set of rolls indeed! Kind of min/max-ing. I have a mental image of him already, based on those rolls. The chaplain is definitely going to be a non-combatant type, which is a good change after Decius. (I don't want to get type-cast.)

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
With those stats, you could even have a -1D6 damage bonus if you put the 4 in STR and the 8 in SIZ. I've never seen that happen before, though -1D4 isn't unheard of for me. Decius is awesome and kicked a lot of butt, but his best move was convincing the guards to switch sides, so you can do plenty even without combat skills. Of course, even a character with no combat skills can be effective in a fight. My character Liz Penhaligon in Watch the World Burn had no points in combat skills initially, but she turned out to be deadlier than the rest of the party combined, thanks to a shotgun and a healthy supply of good luck.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:02 am
by Mister Ginge
[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]

[dice]2[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]

[dice]4[/dice]

[dice]5[/dice]

[dice]6[/dice]

[dice]7[/dice]

The character I have in mind is an Air Raid Precautions (ARP) Warden. They started enforcing the "Blackout" from September 1939.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:17 am
by Mister Ginge
Well those are some interesting dice rolls. I made the mistake initially of copy & pasting the BBcodes. May have been a different story. :oops:

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:42 am
by Mister Ginge
Whoops. Need an extra 3d6.

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:31 am
by Mr. Handy
An ARP warden would be a perfect fit! You should use the following occupational skill list (also based on Laraqua's Home Front monograph draft): Fast Talk, First Aid, Law, Listen, Navigate, Persuade, Spot Hidden, and any one other skill as a personal or era specialty.

Your character won't start in the air raid shelter. You'll be out looking for people who haven't managed to get to shelters so that you can guide them to the nearest one, as well as searching for people injured or trapped by the air raid and making sure the blackout regulations are enforced.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:58 am
by aureliusnoble
Hi,

I used a different dice roller (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm), but I rolled:

6,4,3 = 13
5,2,2 = 9
1,4,4 = 9
5,2,5 = 12
3,6,3 =12

2,2+6 = 10
1,5+6 = 12

6,1,6+3 = 16

I was wondering whether I could be a Civil Servant (Foreign Office) and if so what occupational skills I should use? I was thinking of mostly going for Appearance/Intelligence.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:11 am
by Mr. Handy
A Civil Servant in the Foreign Office would be great! You should use the following occupational skill list: Bargain, Credit Rating, Fast Talk, Own Language, Other Language, Persuade, Psychology, and one other skill as a personal or era specialty. You may put occupational skill points into multiple Other Languages. I'll still need a 1d10 roll for personal wealth.

Mister Ginge, Your annual income is the equivalent of $4500, or 900 pounds. You have assets worth 4500 pounds, including 900 pounds in cash and 900 pounds in assets easily convertible to cash, with the rest in other assets.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:46 am
by andyw666
Mr. Handy wrote:...Decius is awesome and kicked a lot of butt, but his best move was convincing the guards to switch sides, so you can do plenty even without combat skills...
Thank you kindly and I couldn't agree more (and Decius is as surprised as anyone that he is still alive). That was the part I was definitely most happy about.

Will get back to creating new PC tomorrow, had a long few days at work!

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:49 pm
by aureliusnoble
Ok great, thanks!

I'll try and post a full character this evening. I rolled a 10 for wealth, must have just forgotten to include it, sorry.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome! Your character's annual income is $20,000, or 4,000 pounds. Total assets equal 20,000 pounds, including 2,000 pounds in cash and 2,000 in easily convertible assets. Your character is very wealthy, so money will be no object for you. You can easily have multiple homes and a full staff of servants (some of which could even be PCs). Credit Rating will determine your social standing, which is often independent of wealth, though they can certainly go together. This is even more likely in your case, since Credit Rating is an occupational skill and you have a high EDU. It wouldn't surprise me if you've got at least a knighthood, if not a higher title of nobility.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:33 pm
by Mr. Handy
Aurelius, I received your character sheet in the PM. You can actually just post sheets here in this thread, and when they're completed I'll put them in the Character Sheets thread.

Your character is great! The sheet just needs a few corrections, which you can post here rather than having to redo the entire character sheet. Your stats are slightly off from what you rolled. Your STR stat is 8, but the lowest of your 3d6 rolls is 9, so that's what it should be, as all of the other rolls are accounted for already. Also, your 2d6+6 rolls were 10 and 12, but you have a 12 listed in both SIZ and INT. One of those needs to be a 10 instead. This should probably be SIZ, as you said you wanted your intelligence higher. That will reduce your maximum HP from 12 to 11. HP is the average of CON and SIZ, rounded up, but you appear to have substituted STR for CON, so this still leaves you with more HP than you had thought. Maximum Sanity is 99 - Cthulhu Mythos. Since Cthulhu Mythos is 0 for new characters, this is simply 99.

You've underspent on your occupational skill points. You have a total of 340 available (EDU x 20), but you've only spent 289. This leaves you an additional 51 skill points to distribute among your occupational skills. Note that you get all skills at the level in parentheses for free, and skill points add to that level. That may be the reason the numbers don't add up correctly. Likewise, you've only spent 74 our of your 120 hobby skill points, which leaves you an additional 46 skill points that may be added to any skills. Also, you'll need to specify what type of aircraft (or boat) in which you have points for your Pilot skill. Each type counts as a separate skill. The possibilities are Balloon/Dirigible, Boat, Civil Prop, and Fighter Prop. The last one would apply if you've had RAF training, and I would allow Civil Prop and Fighter Prop to be used interchangeably with a modest penalty. If you are in the RAF, your character can still be on the ground, as there simply aren't enough planes to go around at the moment. You're wealthy enough to have your own private civilian plane.

The skill for Mace won't be included on your final sheet, as sprays like that don't exist in 1940. Elizabeth has it listed because she had something similar during a visit to the future in an earlier adventure.

Go ahead and post any modifications to your character sheet in this thread, and I'll post the completed sheet once those are done.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:52 pm
by aureliusnoble
Oh ok, sorry, that's weird - I must have edited a draft I'd saved earlier weirdly. I'll make the corrections now. I didn't realise that the starting skills could be subtracted (is that the same in 7th edition?), so that's probably why nothing adds up, I'll add those now. Let me know if I've made any mistakes

Player: aureliusnoble
Name: Lord Rufus Colville (Viscount Beaumont)
Sex: Male
Current Residence: 61 Victoria Rd, Kensington, London
Colleges, Degrees: MSt(Hons) Modern Languages, University of Oxford
Birthplace: Westminster, London
Home Era: 1930s

Characteristics:
STR: 12
CON: 9
SIZ: 10
DEX: 12
APP: 13
INT: 12 (Idea - 60)
POW: 9 (Luck - 45)
EDU: 17 (Know - 85)

Sanity: 45
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: 9
Damage Bonus: +0
Wealth: £4,000 p/a

Background: Rufus Colville was born into an overwhelmingly aristocratic family. His father, Lord John Furlow was a senior official working for the India office and as a child Rufus rarely saw him. When Rufus was aged 14, he father went on a trip to India where he contracted a mysterious illness, dying a few short weeks later. Rufus attended boarding school at Charterhouse, Surrey from the age of 13, and then went on to study his BA and MSt at Oxford. He took a keen interest in history and languages, and entered the Foreign Office almost immediately after graduation, becoming singularly devoted to his job. He was even involved in the drafting of the Anglo-German Naval Agreement at the young age of 28. With increasing pressures and stresses at work in the past few years, and without many friends or any family of his own, this has been a dark and depressing period of his life. Rufus often spends his evenings alone in his library, reading a book, wondering where all the certainties of his younger years had gone.

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 20%
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%): 80%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2):
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%): 61%
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
.History (20%): 30%
Jump (25%):
Law (05%): 30%
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%):
Other Language: German (01%): 70%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 85%
Persuade (15%): 70%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
.Pilot: Civil (01%): 50%
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 60%
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 61%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
.Rifle (25%): 50%
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
Father's Pocketwatch

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:16 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, everything looks wonderful, and you're all set! I'll add your character sheet to the thread when I have time. I'm not very familiar with 7th edition, but I think it's the same. It wouldn't make sense to have to spend 51 skill points to raise Fist/Punch from 50 to 51.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:02 am
by Mister Ginge
Here goes. I think the figures are ok, but let me know if anything needs changing.
I'm not sure how much damage a ceiling pike would do but they look quite vicious.

Player: Mister Ginge
Name: Eddie Lawlor
Current Residence: London
Colleges, Degrees: N/A
Birthplace: London
Home Era: 1940

Characteristics:
STR: 17
CON: 11
SIZ: 8
DEX: 9
APP: 5
INT: 9 (Idea - 45)
EDU: 14 (Know - 70) inc. +3 for age

Damage Bonus: +1d4
Income and Wealth: £900/year, £4,500 in assets (includes £900 in cash)

Background: Eddie Lawlor is the son of Irish immigrants who moved to the East End of London in search of work, in the early 1890’s. Raised as a Catholic, he’s quite a religious person, but prone to superstitious beliefs (eg. he’s a firm believer in ghosts).

Like several of his colleagues in the ARP, he served in the trenches during the Great War and is no stranger to bloodshed and gore, often having to help fellow soldiers in pain & distress. Small in stature but filled with wiry strength, he’s the kind of man you’d be glad to have on your side during a fight.

He takes his current role very seriously, fully understanding the dangers involved. He’s ready to serve his country again, now that war has come to London.

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
.Climb (40%): 55%
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 18%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%): 55%
First Aid (30%): 50%
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
.Jump (25%): 35%
Law (05%): 25%
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%): 55%
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%): 45%
Occult (05%):
Other Language: (01%):
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 75%
Persuade (15%): 55%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
.Psychology (05%): 25%
Ride (05%):
.Sneak (10%): 40%
Spot Hidden (25%): 75%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
.Fist/Punch (50%): 65%
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%): 60%
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
Bicycle
Gas mask
Steel helmet
Gas rattle
First Aid kit
Ceiling pike (damage?)

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:16 pm
by Mister Ginge
Had to edit. As calculated education incorrectly in relation to age. Doh.

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Everything checks out great! Your Own Language skill is 70%, not 75%, but you don't need to edit your sheet. I'll make the correction when I post it; I'll probably have time tomorrow night. I'll work out how much damage a ceiling pike does and what its base skill is at that time. That's what you'd be using if you ever fight with it, as you haven't practiced using one as a weapon. You'll also have been issued a whistle.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:53 am
by andyw666
archie.JPG
archie.JPG (12.35 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
Player: Andyw666
Name: Chaplain (Rev Dr) Archie Pennyfeather, RN
Colleges, Degrees: PhD (Archeology) Cambridge, B Theology Cambridge
Birthplace: London
Home Era: 1940s
Income: L1500/year
Savings: L7500

Characteristics:
STR: 10
CON: 9
SIZ: 8
DEX: 4
APP: 15
INT: 18 (Idea - 90%)
POW: 18 (Luck - 90%)
EDU: 18 (Know - 90%) [+2 EDU due to age]

Sanity: 90 (90)
Maximum Sanity: 90
Hit Points: 9
Magic Points: 18

Background:
Archie Pennyfeather is the younger son of a wealthy and well-to-do London family. He is very short and rather stout but makes up for this by being astonishingly clumsy. A bookish lad (actually, a bit of a swot), he was still away at Public School when the Great War broke out. In 1916, upon completing his schooling and turning 18, Archie enlisted in the Royal Navy as a Midshipman (Father approved of the Senior Service). Height restrictions weren't taken too seriously in the middle of a war, and anyway Father knew some chaps in the Admiralty. Archie enlisted just in time to be at Jutland but things quietened down after that and he safely demob-ed in 1918 as a sub-lieutenant. He still has his of Colt service sidearm as a souvenir of The Last Show but keeps it locked in a drawer at home these days.

After the War, Archie pursued a passion for Archaeology at Cambridge, obtaining his PhD. Father didn't really approve but Archie and Father both approved of a career in The Church and so Archie stayed at Cambridge, read Theology, and was duly ordained a Minister of the Church of England. His subsequent career has been primarily based in hospitals and the like, while frequently being tasked by the Church with the location, authentication and restoration of religious antiquities. Archie is fortunate to have inherited an independent income which supplements his meagre salary.

Immediately upon his ordination, Archie enlisted in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (the RNVR - the "Wavy Navy") as a chaplain. Upon the outbreak of hostilities, he was called up and has been serving on big ships during the Atlantic Campaign. His last ship having been sunk, Archie has been temporarily posted to St Bartholomew's Hospital to provide chaplaincy to injured military personnel. Archie is now married with children but the children are at school in the country and his wife lives in safety at their weekender in the Cotswolds. He is a cheery soul with a keen insight into human nature and has found some success in this current role.

Accounting (10%): 21%
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%): 76%
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
.Credit Rating (15%): 40%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
.Dodge (DEX x 2): 23%
.Drive Auto (20%): 25%
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
.First Aid (30%): 35%
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%): 50%
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%): 70%
Listen (25%): 50%
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
.Navigate (10%): 40%
Occult (05%):
Other Language: Latin (01%): 50%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 90%
Persuade (15%): 65%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
.Pilot Boat (01%): 20%
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 80%
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 40%
.Swim (25%): 30%
.Throw (25%): 35%
Track (10%):
.War Prestige (1%): 32%

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):

Firearms:
.Handgun (20%): 40%
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
RNVR Chaplain Officer's Uniform
Colt M1911 .455 semi-automatic pistol (1d10+2 damage, 1 shot/round, range 15 yards, 7 rounds)
Bible
Steel hip flask of whisky
Steel hip flask of holy water
MG Convertible
Identity card
Ration card
Gas mask

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:44 am
by andyw666
Over to you to have a look at the character sheet, Mr Handy! Sorry it took me a while to get done.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy
That's okay, I didn't have time during the week anyway, and you're not even the last player here to create a character. You've underspent slightly on occupational skill points. You have 360 of them, but you've only spent 349, so please let me know where you'd like the other 11 points. Keep in mind that Accounting is also one of your occupational skills. The timing of your background doesn't quite add up with your age. You were born in 1897, or possibly late 1896, but you were 18 in 1916, when you would have turned 18 in either late 1914 or 1915. You can fix this simply by changing your age to 42. This will not affect your EDU bonus at all, as the minimum age was 22 and you'd still have added 20 to it. The Colt M1911 .45 automatic is an American weapon, though you could still have one if you like. It's a .45 weapon, not .455, though the damage would still be the same. The Webley revolver would be the standard British sidearm,,and that was a .455 weapon. You can have either one.

There is also equipment that all characters in 1940 would probably have (visitors from other times naturally will not have them ;) ):
Identity card
Ration card
Gas mask (everyone is required to carry one, though many people don't anyway; it is typically carried in a small cardboard box)

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:48 am
by andyw666
God that's embarrassing, I'm going to blame slight residual tiredness on my poor maths. That and the alcohol. Will fix pronto and let you know.

On the topic of the Colt M1911 though, that's more controversial. Seems Webley couldn't keep up with demand, so the RN bought M1911s in .455 Webley calibre for many of its officers:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/List_of_firea ... med_Forces

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pis ... Poyer_11-0 (para 1.4)

(Reliable and iconic as the Webley revolvers are or were, the Colt adds a bit of distinctive Navy style - as the weapon Archie would have wrapped in an oiled cloth in a locked drawer, I thought.)

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:00 am
by andyw666
OK, should be fixed.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, I never knew that about the Colt M1911! .455 it is. You're all set! I'll post your character sheet shortly.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:54 am
by andyw666
Magic! Looking forward to it.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:44 pm
by DrkRoxas
Hello there! I would like to implement the idea of a smuggler character named Vyse, do you think it would serve the purpose of the story? Smuggling served a big part of the era since the acquisition of alcohol and tobacco was a bit restricted. I'm planning for a sociopath kind-of person who specializes in manipulation and has an understanding of human reactions due to the experience over the years, probably working for a smuggling group.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:06 pm
by Mr. Handy
That sounds like an interesting character concept, and one that naturally fits in this time. With rationing comes a burgeoning black market, and the black market depends upon people who can obtain things that are in demand through less than legal means. Of course, these contraband goods are sold at a higher price, but that's the only way to buy them if you don't have enough ration points. Use the following occupational skill list for a Black Marketeer, based on Laraqua's Home Front monograph draft: Accounting, Bargain, Conceal, Craft, Credit Rating, Fast Talk, Persuade, and any one other skill as a personal or era specialty.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:54 pm
by Steveoknox24
Sorry for the newb question but I want to check that I have this right.

I roll first then create the character around the rolls?

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 pm
by Steveoknox24
Here goes nothing:

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]

[dice]2[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]

[dice]4[/dice]

[dice]5[/dice]

[dice]6[/dice]

[dice]7[/dice]

[dice]8[/dice]

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:10 pm
by Steveoknox24
So that's a

7+6=13

8+6=14

16+3=19

Did I do that right?

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, you did everything perfectly. That's a nice set of above average rolls, and the 19 EDU is particularly excellent. Your character must be at least 25 years old. Keep in mind that you can make your character older still and raise your EDU to 20 or even higher, though your Know and Own Language stats will have a maximum of 99 no matter how high your EDU. The wealth roll means you have an annual income of 900 pounds, with 4,500 pounds in total assets (including 900 in cash and 900 easily convertible to cash).

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am
by Steveoknox24
Awesome. Now I just have to assign the numbers (outside of SIZ and EDU) to the attributes I'd like, right? And to go anywhere above age 25 I'd have to take penalties, correct?

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Only the EDU roll cannot be exchanged, so that is guaranteed to be at least 19. Your 3d6 rolls (12, 13, 12, 13, and 11) may be distributed among STR, CON, DEX, POW, and APP as you see fit. Likewise, the 13 and 14 may be assigned to either SIZ or INT. Penalties due to age do not kick in until age 50. For every full ten years of age you are above 40, you would have to lower one of your physical stats other than SIZ (STR, CON, DEX, or APP) by one point.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 am
by DrkRoxas
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]
[dice]7[/dice]

Did the +6 and +3 values get added by the dice roller or do I have to add them manually now?

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, the dice roller automatically added the +6s and +3 to the totals.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:31 pm
by DrkRoxas
DrkRoxas wrote: [dice]193266:5[/dice]
[dice]193266:6[/dice]
But look at these two, the results of these rolls, these are the 2d6+6, how can the 6 be added? The second roll is literally adding up to 6, the less I can get between two rolls is two 1s, which would make the lower stat here 8.

I think the dice roller isn't adding the +, and I saw a user before adding the number manually, but I got confused ;__;

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:05 pm
by aureliusnoble
If you look at the dice rolls:
You roll 2d6, you rolled a 2 and a 3, 2+3=5, then add the 6, 5+6=11
You roll 2d6, you rolled a 4 and a 2, 4+2=6, then add the 6, 6+6=12

You are not adding 6 to each dice roll, you add 6 to the total of the dice rolls.

Hope that clears things up.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:11 pm
by DrkRoxas
DrkRoxas wrote:Did the +6 and +3 values get added by the dice roller or do I have to add them manually now?
That's what I asked hahaha, I thought so, I will add them manually then. Thanks!

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 pm
by aureliusnoble
Nope, you don't have to add them manually.
Original post: DrkRoxas rolled 2d6+6 and got a total of 12:
4, 2
See where it says "got a total of 12", that is it adding the 6 for you :)

It explains the individual rolls and gives you the total, you don't have to do anything.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:40 pm
by DrkRoxas
I don't know how you got that message, all I'm seeing is the:

:
4, 2

How can I see the detailed explanation of the roll like what you quoted there? Seeing it like that would've saved me all of this LOL, I can only see the 4,2 in my post :(

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:54 pm
by aureliusnoble
Oh ok, sorry, that's really weird. When I look at your original post this is what it looks like to me, don't know why it's different for you - sorry, i mean as you said, it's pretty easy to just add the 3/6 :P *underlining is my own

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:05 pm
by DrkRoxas
Yeah, sadly this is how I see it, must've been some options in settings, this explains why everyone said I didn't need to add and I didn't see the addition anywhere lol

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
That is weird. I've never heard of that happening before. The only dice options I can see are for how they appear in the display (gray, red, or text only). Thanks for clearing that up, Aurelius!

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:02 pm
by aine
Could I play Mrs Cruckshank, an aging widow? Although old, she is fit, sharp, takes no nonsense and carries a mean looking victorian umbrella. She is locally quite famous/notorious for doing good works and is a keen member of the local WI. She hasn't had an occupation, husband died in the Boer war (or similar). A 'Miss Marple' type as far as occupational skills go maybe.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, she'd be great! You can use the Private Investigator occupational skill list: Bargain, Fast Talk, Law, Library Use, Locksmith, Photography, Psychology, and one other skill as a personal or era specialty. An big umbrella would count as a Large Club in combat (base skill 25%, 1D8+db damage, two-handed). A smaller one would be a Small Club (base skill 25%, 1D6+db damage, one-handed).

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:52 am
by aine
Lovely.
Here are my rolls and their assignments:
Str (6,6,4) -1age = 15
App (1,2,2) = 5
Con (4,5,1) = 10
Dex (6,1,3) -1 age = 9
pow (4,4,5) = 13
Siz (2,5) + 6 = 11
Int (6,2) +6) = 14
Edu (1,5,3) +3 +5 age = 17
Wealth = 8
350 occupational points and 140 hobby points

She is 68 years old. I had a look at those skills and photography and locksmith aren't really relevant. As she does a lot of good deeds and charity work, could she have persuade, anthropology and history specifically for the London area and it's people. This includes her extra skill.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:04 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, that's fine. You get 340 occupational skill points with EDU 17, not 350. Your wealth roll gives you an annual income of 1,500 pounds and total assets of 7,500 pounds, including 750 pounds in cash and 750 pounds in assets quickly convertible to cash, I'd miscalculated the amount of cash on a couple of the completed character sheets, but I corrected them.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 pm
by Pastiche
Would a Jewish East End tailor be a good fit for the scenario? Recent refugee from Germany, middle-aged, with an unhealthy interest in Kaballah and numerology.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (47.65 KiB) Viewed 2875 times

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, that would work nicely. For a tailor, you should use the following occupational skill list:: Accounting, Bargain, Craft(Tailor), Disguise, Fast Talk, Persuade, Psychology, and one other skill as a personal or era specialty. Your native language would be German (or Yiddish, which has similarities), though you should have Other Language(English) as well. This could legitimately be your selected eighth occupational skill, as you'll need it to deal with English-speaking customers. Occult skill would most likely be a hobby skill.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:43 pm
by aine

Player: Aine
Name: Mrs Phyllis Cruckshank
Sex: Female
Current Residence: Islington, London
Colleges, Degrees: None
Birthplace: Sussex
Income: £1500
Savings: £7500

Characteristics:
STR: 115
CON:10
SIZ: 11
DEX: 9
APP: 5
INT: 14 (Idea - 70)
POW: 13(Luck - 65)

Sanity: 65
Hit Points: 11
Magic Points: 13
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Background: Phyllis Cruckshank is 68, indomitable and a force to be reckoned with. She is a well known figure in London as she bustles busily along with her vast handbag and sturdy umbrella. She canvases the rich and bothers the poor as she goes about her 'good works'. She is vice president of the Islington Women's Institute and has a vast network of contacts through the other ladies and neighbouring WI.
Her husband Cecil was killed in the Boer War 40 years ago and she never remarried. Phyllis has a nice little house on Gibson Square in Islington and a tidy nest egg.

Skills:
(Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%): 31%
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 40%
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
.Craft (05%): cakes 35%
.Credit Rating (15%): 65%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2):
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Fast Talk (05%): 55%
.First Aid (30%): 40%
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%): Local History 55%
Jump (25%):
Law (05%): 45%
Library Use (25%): 60%

Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Language:
Persuade (15%): 70%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot: Civil (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 55%
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 50%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):
.Large Club (25%): 50%

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:

Large iron umbrella
Large handbag including torch, sewing kit, gas mask, opera glasses, whistle, dog lead.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:19 pm
by Pastiche
Here are my numbers:

STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP:
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]

SIZ and INT:
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]

EDU:
[dice]7[/dice]

Wealth:
[dice]8[/dice]

I would leave wealth as it is, but halve my normal income, since I've hit on hard times after fleeing from Germany.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:29 pm
by Pastiche
Player: Pastiche
Name: Benjamin Klein
Birthplace: Berlin
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (47.65 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
Characteristics:
STR: 9
CON: 8
SIZ: 14
DEX: 14 = 15 - 1 (age)
APP: 11
INT: 14 (Idea - 70)
POW: 11 (Luck - 55)
EDU: 17 = 14 + 3 (age) (Know - 85)

Starting sanity: 55
Maximum Hit Points: 9
Maximum Magic Points: 11

Background:
When two years ago the word 'JUDE' appeared in angry tar letters on the front of his successful tailorshop in Berlin, Benjamin knew it was time to move on. Since a distant branch of his family had moved from Poland to London a few decades earlier, crossing the Channel was the obvious choice . Unfortunately, job opportunities were few and far between, and Benjamin was lucky that one of his distant relatives had a job for him as assistant tailor in his sweatshop. The fact that he, 59, now had to take orders from someone only 41, rankled him immensely. Such a violation of the natural orders of Numbers! Added to this frustration was a mounting feeling of dread, since according to the Kaballah Numerology, the name of the sweatshop had exactly the same representation as 'Hitler'. Benjamin could not shake the feeling that something terrible was going to happen any time soon ...

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT.)
Accounting (10%): 40%
Anthropology (01%):
.Archaeology (01%): 21%
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 45%
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
.Conceal (15%): 30%
Craft (Tailor) (05%): 65%
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%): 41%
Dodge (DEX x 2): 28%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%): 45%
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
.History (20%): 35%
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
.Library Use (25%): 50%
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
.Occult (05%): 45%
Other Language: English (01%): 61%
Own Language: German (EDU x 5%): 85%
Persuade (15%): 45%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 35%
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 50%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):
Anti-Aircraft Gun (01%):
War Prestige (01%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):
Mace (DEX x 5): 70%

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
measuring tape (great for strangling someone/something!)
needles (useful for torture...)
scissors

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:35 pm
by Mr. Handy
The characters look great! Just a few minor corrections are needed.

Aine, you've only spent a total of 330 occupational skill points, but you get 340. Please let me know where you want the other ten points. STR is also 15, not 115, but I can correct that myself.

Pastiche, your 3D6 rolls were 8, 9, 10, 11, and 15, but you have a second 11 instead of the 10. Please let me know whether you want APP or POW reduced to 10. You also have 11 hit points, as it's the average (rounded up) of CON and SIZ, not STR and CON. I can correct this myself. You've also only spent 330 occupational skill points out of 340, so please let me know where you'd like the other ten points.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:53 am
by Pastiche
I fumbled the Numbers! How out-of-character...

Let's reduce APP, and put 5 into English and 5 into Psychology.

Do you want me to edit my previous post?

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:01 pm
by aine
I thought I'd used 350 points so took 10 off; so please put 5 each back onto Anthropology and history, thanks!

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you both! There's no need to edit your sheets. I'll make the corrections myself when I post the completed versions. I don't have time to do it tonight, but perhaps tomorrow night.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:33 am
by Steveoknox24
Sorry for the absence. I had to travel to Ireland for a wedding and Internet access has been hard to come by. When do I need my character sheet done?

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy
That's okay. There's still one other player who hasn't yet created a sheet, and I can always run the TARDIS crew's thread for a little while before I start off everyone else. If you can get it done by this weekend that would be great, as I should have time then, but if you need more time there's no rush.

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:14 pm
by Mr. Handy
I finally had time to get the two completed character sheets edited and posted. I'm only waiting on two more players to create characters, and then I'll get the rest of the group started.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:57 am
by Steveoknox24
I hope I did this right. Please let me know if not. I'm not sure what checked skills are so that part confused me. Sorry it took so long. Took me longer than expected to understand the system.

Character Name Seamus "Leppy" O'Leary
Career Criminal
Age 35 (Adds 1 EDU)
Sex Male
Residence 29 Hanbury Street, Whitechapel, East End, London
Birthplace Killanny, Ireland
Education Trinity College, Ireland
Home Era 1940s

Background Seamus O'Leary should have had the world at his finger tips. He was the grateful recipient of the gains of his hardworking parents, who climbed the social ladder from obscurity to become some of the wealthiest landowners from Ireland. This unprecedented rise came with much hardship. The climb was slow. First, they opened a small-town pub in Killanny, County Monaghan, named Guilty Pleasure catering to undesirables of society. Through the chance meeting of an IRA thug, the couple expanded their business into the harboring of fugitives and contraband. With this influx of cash, the O'Leary family invested in real estate, which proved more lucrative and far less stressful. Once Seamus reached an age old enough to ask about his parents' past, they decided to go legitimate. With the money they acquired, they sent Seamus to the most prestigious primary and secondary schools. Furthermore, they placed high emphasis on Seamus' studies, hoping he would not have to make deals with the devil to live comfortably like they did. Seamus excelled, gaining entry to Trinity at 18.

However, tragedy befell young Seamus in his final year at Trinity. Though Ireland gained its independence in 1921, hostilities did not cease. The War of Independence became a civil war with Northern Irish and British fighting the Catholics of the Republic of Ireland. Knowing the real strength of the Irish forces, the British Army increased their presence throughout Ireland, routing out IRA strongholds. In desperation, the IRA implored the O'Learys to allow them to hide in the Guilty Pleasure like they once did. The O'Learys refused. As a result, on an oddly quiet Saturday night in October, the Guilty Pleasure exploded, with its proprietors inside. Devastated and disillusioned, Seamus left Ireland for London upon his graduation from Trinity.

There, however, he was met with unbridled prejudice. He found himself unable to find employment despite his wealth of qualification. However, learning from the stories drunkards in the Guilty Pleasure would tell him about his folks' double life, Seamus always knew of an open avenue. Though his parents would disapprove from heaven, Seamus entered the London underworld. He made a name for himself as a getaway driver, earning the nickname "Leppy" (a riff off of Leprechaun) as a badge of honor. He rose through the ranks quickly, with his Gift of Gab and keen eye (both for detail and down the sight of a gun). Though slight of build, Leppy grew proficient in the lethal arts. What he lacked in power behind his punches, he made up for with Guilt (his gun) and Pleasure (his set of knives). Recently, however, Leppy has become disillusioned once again. After a nasty barroom brawl in Whitechapel, Leppy and a few of his comrades followed their cloaked adversaries into a dark alley. Leppy stood as lookout as his mates roughed up the gaggle of weirdos. However, a series of screams and odd rhythmic chanting turned his attention from potential witnesses. What he saw as he turned to the alley haunts his dreams to this day.

Attributes
STR: 11
CON: 12
POW: 12
DEX: 13
SIZ: 13
INT: 14
EDU: 20

SANITY: 60%
LUCK: 60%
IDEA: 70%
KNOW: 99%

Damage Bonus: 24 (+0)

Hit Points: 13
Magic Points: 12
Sanity Points: 60

Income
So, I accidentally rolled a second time... and got a 10... but I just realized I originally got a 5... ugh

Skills
Career Skill Points: 400
Personal Interest Points: 140
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 74%
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%): 65%
Dodge (DEX x 2): 26%
.Drive Auto (20%): 50%
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%): 40%
.First Aid (30%): 45%
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%): 70%
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Language: (01%):
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 99%
.Persuade (15%): 50%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%): 75%
Spot Hidden (25%): 75%

Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
.Knife (25%): 75%

Firearms:
Handgun (20%): 75%
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:09 am
by Steveoknox24
I'm unsure how to handle possessions. It is based off of my credit rating, which is awesome but I have to work with you, Mr. Handy, on what I can have, right?

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
You can probably have anything within reason. Credit Rating isn't really a factor here, but your wealth roll does have a bearing. Just give me a wish list of what you want to have, and I'll review it. With your underworld connections, the gun and the knives are no problem. Just let me know which kinds. You might even have a car, though you'll need to get most of your petrol on the black market. You can also have a decent home.

You've spent a total of 407 points on your occupational skills. While you only have 400 occupational skill points, hobby points may also be spent on those skills (or any others). Since you have 140 hobby skill points available, and you only spent 130 on other skills, I'll just count those extra seven points from the ten you have not spent. This leaves you an additional three hobby skill points that may be spent on any skill or skills. Please let me know where you want them. There is no need to edit your sheet. I'll make the corrections myself.

Checked skills are something that happens during the game. When you use each skill successfully the first time, I'll "check" it by placing a red asterisk next to it. After the scenario, if you survive, you'll get a chance to increase each of those skills.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:47 am
by Steveoknox24
Oops, my math skill apparently isn't very good either. Let's put the three into First Aid.

As for possessions:

Buick Series 40
Luger (thinking a few would have made it to the black market) 1d10
Pair of Switchblades 1d4+db
Cheap white suit
Pack of cigarettes
Four-leaf Clover zippo
Bobby pins (lockpicking)
small photo of parents, hidden in a sowed in pocket inside his suit

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you. I've posted your completed sheet.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:00 am
by Steveoknox24
Awesome! Thanks so much. Now do I start playing? Sorry for the newb question.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome, and it's no problem. I'm still waiting for one more player to finish creating a character. Once that's done, I'll create a new In Character thread for the new players (actually two, as the ARP warden will start in a separate thread) and announce it in The Zero Room (the Out Of Character thread).

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:28 am
by ZadokAllen
Hello everyone,

So lets (try to) role some dice:

Roll 3d6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP.

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]

[dice]2[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]

[dice]4[/dice]

Roll 2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT.

[dice]5[/dice]

[dice]6[/dice]

Roll 3d6+3 for EDU.

[dice]7[/dice]

Roll 1d10 for personal wealth, using the 1920s wealth chart for 6th edition.

[dice]8[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome! You're off to a good start. That's a decent set of rolls, and your wealth roll gives you an annual income of £2,000 and assets worth £10,000, including £1,000 in cash and the same amount in assets quickly convertible to cash. Let me know what occupation you want, and I'll give you a list of occupational skills for it.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:59 am
by ZadokAllen
I was thinking about a door-to-door vacuum salesman who lives out of his car and put all his money in his stock, and then the war broke out...

But maybe my income should be lower?

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Your income can be what it is. Income can come from many sources, not just your occupation. Your investments can provide a lot. It's also possible that you have a house in London that got bombed tonight.

The occupational skills for a door-to-door salesman are: Accounting, Bargain, Drive Auto, Fast Talk, Navigate, Persuade, Psychology, and one other skill as a personal or era specialty.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:18 pm
by ZadokAllen
Ok, here it is. Don't really know what to fill in for credit rating...

Player: ZadokAllen
Name: Eugene Thomson
Current Residence: Homeless
Birthplace: Chatham (Kent)
Home Era: 1940’s

Characteristics:
STR: 11
CON: 11
SIZ: 13
DEX: 10
APP: 12
INT: 13 (Idea - 65)

Hit Points: 12

Background: Eugene Thomson is 35 and for the moment very unlucky. He works as a door-to-door vacuum salesman and had invested all his savings in his stock, and then the war broke out. As you can imagine demand for vacuum cleaners has somewhat plummeted. Just as he thought it could not get any worse, his house was bombed, so now all he has left is his car, a 1938 Standard Flying Eight, 8 Haywin vacuum cleaners, and the clothes he wore. Eugene is single and has no children.

Accounting (10%): 40%
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 65%
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%): 40%
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%): 35%
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%): ???
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
.Disguise (01%): 21%
Dodge (DEX x 2):
Drive Auto (20%): 60%
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%): 65%
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
.Hide (10%): 30%
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
.Listen (25%): 45%
.Locksmith (01%): 25%
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%): 20%
Occult (05%):
Other Language: Latin (01%):
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%):
Persuade (15%): 65%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 55%
Ride (05%):
.Sneak (10%): 20%
Spot Hidden (25%): 65%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
Pocket knife[1D4+1D4 damage, Knife]
gas mask
8 Haywin vacuum cleaners

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:20 pm
by ZadokAllen
and the photo i forgot...

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy
You're almost set. However, you've shortchanged yourself on hobby points. You spent only 94, but you get a total of 130. Please let me know what skill or skills you want to add the other 36 points into, and how many points for each, and then you'll be ready. Credit Rating doesn't work the way it does in 7th edition. You can add points to it just like any other skill, and the base skill is always 15%. You don't have a damage bonus, so the knife only does 1D4 damage. You should also have an identity card and a ration card, and your car counts as equipment.

There's no need to edit your sheet above. Once you've spent your remaining points, I'll put everything together in the Character Sheets thread.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:24 pm
by ZadokAllen
I would like to assign the remaining points to History, thanks!

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Great! Hopefully I can get your sheet posted tomorrow at some point. In the meantime, you can join the story whenever you're ready. We'll just assume you've been in the air raid shelter all along. To catch up, you should read The Shelter followed by Rain of Death, which is the current thread. You may post there whenever you're ready.

I'll be away from the 5th through the 9th, and I probably won't have time to post then. You can all roleplay in the meantime, and I should be able to move things forward next week.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:11 am
by ZadokAllen
Alright, I'm up-to-date with the story so far. Can I just enter the shelter instead of being there all along? I assume the shelters are not locked, or should i knock?

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:37 pm
by Mr. Handy
It's not locked, but knocking would be polite. You may enter now if you like. In that case, you shouldn't have read the earlier threads. Since you've already read them, you'd have to pretend you don't know what happened in them.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy
I've added your character sheet to the thread. I had missed the 20 points you'd put in Conceal earlier because it wasn't bolded, so you only had 16 unspent points to add to History.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:57 pm
by DrPeterson
Roll 3d6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP.
Roll 2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT.
Roll 3d6+3 for EDU.
Roll 1d10 for personal wealth, using the 1920s wealth chart for 6th edition.

Stat rolls,[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]
[dice]7[/dice]
[dice]8[/dice]

So that's:
7, 15, 10, 11, 14, 9, 10, EDU 16, and wealth 5

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:22 pm
by DrPeterson
Player: DrPeterson
Name: John H. Barrow
Sex: M
Current Residence: RAF Church Fenton, England
Colleges, Degrees: Bachelor of Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Birthplace: Riverside, Iowa
Home Era: Second World War

Characteristics:
STR: 7
CON: 10
SIZ: 9
DEX: 15
APP: 14
INT: 10
POW: 11
EDU: 16 (+1 due to age)= 17

Sanity: 55
Maximum Sanity:
Magic Points: -1d4

Background:
After the invasion of Poland and subsequent declaration of war by France and the UK, John joined the RAF as a fighter pilot eager to fight the Nazi threat instead of waiting out the politics that kept America out of the war.
He scored several kills protecting the evacuation of the beach during the Battle of Dunkirk, before crashlanding his Hawker Hurricane in the North Sea. Due to his heroism and injuries -which left him with considerable muscle damage- he was quickly promoted to captain. When the Battle of Britain began, John was up there with the newly formed 71st squadron.

John Barrow is a driven man, keen and intelligent, with the flamboyant air of a fighter pilot. He is easy-going and not prone to worrying. Having been confronted with death firsthand, he has taken to a carpe diem lifestyle, living every moment to the fullest.

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
.Art: Dance (05%): 30%
Astronomy (01%): 40%
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
.Credit Rating (15%): 40%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 30%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%): 40%
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%): 50%
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%): 45%
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%): 40%
.Other Language: German(01%): 9%
.Persuade (15%): 35%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%): 31%
Pilot: Fighters (01%): 51%
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%):
Swim (25%): 27%
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):
War Prestige (01%): 35%

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%): 60%
Machine Gun (15%):50%

Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
British Flight Suit and Leather Jacket and Cap
Cigarettes and Lighter
Notebook and Pencil
Colt M1911 .455 semi-automatic pistol(7/7) [1D10+2 damage, Rate of Fire 1, Magazine Capacity 7, Base Range 15, Malfunction 00, HP 8, Handgun]

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy
There are just a few minor corrections, but otherwise you're good to go. I hadn't intended for you to use occupational skill points for Handgun and Machine Gun unless you'd chosen one of them as your personal specialty, but I'll allow it considering it would be part of your training. There are 362 skill points in your occupational skills out of 340 occupational skill points, but hobby points can supplement them. Since you've spent 78 out of 100 hobby points on non-occupational skills, this accounts for the remaining 22.

Your Damage Bonus is -1D4, and your Magic Points total is 11. There is also 27% next to your Swim skill that shouldn't be there, probably because it was copied and pasted from Elizabeth's sheet. There's no need to edit. I'll make the necessary changes when I post your completed sheet when I have time, which will probably be this weekend.

I'd also like you to be based out of Biggin Hill, which is close to London. Church Fenton is far to the north.

I should be able to get your IC thread up soon. You can post as soon as you see it.

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 am
by CrackheadC.
Updating sheet:

Sanity Rolls:
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]

Skill checks

Climb to beat 40%
[dice]5[/dice]

Electronics to beat 90%
[dice]6[/dice]

First aid to beat 30%
[dice]7[/dice]

History to beat 35%
[dice]8[/dice]

Listen to beat 25%
[dice]9[/dice]

Mechanical repair to beat 90%
[dice]10[/dice]

Spot hidden to beat 25%
[dice]11[/dice]

Handgun to beat 20%
[dice]12[/dice]

Edit:
19 sanity gained

First aid:
[dice]13[/dice]

Listen:
[dice]14[/dice]

Spot hidden:
[dice]15[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back! I should be able to get your character sheet updated and posted sometime in the next day. I've created a new thread for you here.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:13 am
by HelplessBystander
Hey, I think I'm interested in joining this RP, so here's my character sheet:

Player: HelplessBystander
Name: Anna Jerkins
Colleges, Degrees: B Psychology, Cambridge. Working on a higher degree.
Birthplace: Australia
Income: $1,500
Savings: $20,000

Characteristics:
STR: 14
CON: 13
INT: 14 (Idea - 70%)
POW: 16 (Luck - 80%)
EDU: 19 (Know - 95%) [+2 EDU due to age]

Sanity: 70 (70)
Phobias/Mental Disorders: Slight fear of fire (quirk)
Maximum Sanity: 70
Hit Points: 14
Magic Points: 16

Background:
Anna Jerkins is a young woman fresh out of Cambridge University. She is a tall,moderately attractive woman with long brown hair and dark-brown eyes. Likes reading in the library and enjoys wearing fashionable clothing on a semi-regular basis (as long as she can afford them). Relatively optimistic, funny, slightly alcoholic, and have a dream of eventually owning her own clinic. Due to her passionate study of psychology and her active role in the execution of many of the famous social experiments, Anna had quickly became one of the best (of a few) Alienist in the world.

She is an open-minded Deist who believes in the existence of higher-powers, and believes in racial/gender equality, partially influenced by her family's religious views. Her brother Tobias works as a Private Investigator in America. Her elder brother had played with her often during childhood, and had taught her some of the basics of self defence, sneaking around, and persuasion before leaving for a bright future in the land of America.

Her parents' house is a place of meaningful memories and where she experienced a relatively-pleasant childhood. She hasn't visited them in many years due to past incidents. Though she still treasures the old family photo from her youth and hangs it on the wall of her house. She owns a car that her brother bought for her on the day she earned her Medical Practitioner's license.

Skills:
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 20
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%): 60
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%): 40
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 20
Drive Auto (20%): 25%
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%): 50
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%): 70
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Language: Latin (01%): 50%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 95
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):50
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot Boat (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):90
Psychology (05%): 85
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%): 50
Spot Hidden (25%): 40
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):
War Prestige (1%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%): 50
Knife (25%):50

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
Flashlight
$80
Ration Card
Pen and notepad
Doctor's kit
Wallet
Medical Practitioner's license
Knife

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome aboard! There are some corrections you'll need to make, but they work out in your favor, as you've shortchanged yourself. There's no need to edit the sheet above. Just post the corrected information below, and I'll assemble and post the completed sheet.

Your Sanity starts out at 80, which is your POW x 5. Your maximum Sanity is 99 - Cthulhu Mythos. Since your Cthulhu Mythos starts at 0, your maximum Sanity starts at 99.

Your age doesn't reflect your increased EDU. Your EDU started at 17, which makes your minimum age 23. To increase it to 19, you'll need to raise your age to at least 43. It won't cause any of your stats to be reduced unless you want to be 50 or older. Alternatively, you can stay younger and reduce your EDU (and occupational skill points and Own Language skill) appropriately.

You've underspent slightly on skill points. I'm not entirely sure which skills you intended to be your occupational skills, but it looks like the following list would be appropriate: Bargain, Credit Rating, First Aid, Library Use, Other Language: Latin, Pharmacy, Psychoanalysis, and Psychology. Medicine is also an occupational skill for you if you wish to put points into it, but you don't have to do so. You've spent a total of 372 occupational skill points, but EDU 19 gets you 380, so you have 8 additional points to add to one or more of your occupational skills. You have 140 hobby skill points from your INT 14, but you've only spent 130, so you have another 10 points to add to any skill or skills you wish. If you'd rather reduce your EDU to 18 (and your age to as low as 33), you may merely deduct two points from your occupational skills and be even. If you reduce your EDU to 17, you'll have to reduce your occupational skills by a total of 22 points.

I'll convert your wealth and cash to pounds. Each pound is worth about $5. You should also have an identity card, and you also have a gas mask in a small cardboard box. Everyone is supposed to carry one at all times, though not everybody does.

It's possible (probable even) that your character would know Sigmund Freud. In addition to the possibility of having met and worked with him earlier, he left Vienna for London after the Anschluss in the spring of 1938, where he lived until his death in September 1939.

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:00 am
by HelplessBystander
Thanks Mr. Handy!
I'll make the Revision below:

(UPDATED/ABRIDGED)
Player: HelplessBystander
Colleges, Degrees: B Psychology, Cambridge. Working on a higher degree.
Birthplace: Australia
Income: 300 Pounds
Savings: 4,000 Pounds

Characteristics:
STR: 14
CON: 13
INT: 14 (Idea - 70%)
POW: 16 (Luck - 80%)
EDU: 17 (Know - 95%)

Sanity: 80 (80)
Phobias/Mental Disorders: Slight fear of fire (quirk)
Hit Points: 14
Magic Points: 16

Background:
Anna Jerkins is a young woman fresh out of Cambridge University. During her time in Cambridge, she had been mentored by SIgmund Freud for a short while on psychology and had been one of the researchers who had helped set up an unofficial demonstration with him. Due to her passionate study of psychology and her active role in the execution of many of the social experiments in Cambridge, Anna had quickly became one of the best (of a few) Alienist in the world.

She is a tall,moderately attractive woman with long brown hair and dark-brown eyes. Likes reading in the library and enjoys wearing fashionable clothing on a semi-regular basis (as long as she can afford them). Relatively optimistic, funny, slightly alcoholic, and have a dream of eventually owning her own practising clinic.

She is an open-minded Deist who believes in the existence of higher-powers, and believes in racial/gender equality, partially influenced by her family's religious views. Her brother Tobias works as a Private Investigator in America. Her elder brother had played with her often during childhood, and had taught her some of the basics of self defence, sneaking around, and persuasion before leaving for a bright future in the land of America.

Her parents' house is a place of meaningful memories and where she experienced a relatively-pleasant childhood. She hasn't visited them in many years due to past incidents. Though she still treasures the old family photo from her youth and hangs it on the wall of her house. She owns a car that her brother bought for her on the day she earned her Medical Practitioner's license.

Skills:
Climb (40%): altered to 48 accordingly with the stats modifications

Equipment:
Flashlight
$80
Ration Card
Pen and notepad
Doctor's kit
Wallet
Medical Practitioner's license
Knife
Identity Card
Gas Mask

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:54 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome. There are still a few more things that need fixing. I hadn't noticed that your Hit Points were incorrect before. You have 12 HP, not 14, as it's the average (rounded up) of SIZ and CON, not STR and CON.

Also, if your EDU is 17, you don't get to add any skill points. In fact, you must reduce your occupational skills by a total of 22 points. If you want 18 EDU (and your age increases to 33 or more), you only need to reduce them by 2 points in all. Only if you keep your EDU at 19 (and raise your age to 43+) would you get to add points. In that case, you'd add 8 points to your occupational skills (which do not include Climb) and 10 points to any skills other than Cthulhu Mythos (possibly including your occupational skills).

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:45 am
by HelplessBystander
HP:12

Climbing:40% base stat

Done. Anything else?

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
You still need to reduce your occupational skills by a total of 22 points as I described above. Your occupational skills are Bargain, Credit Rating, First Aid, Library Use, Medicine (though you put no points into that), Other Language: Latin, Pharmacy, Psychoanalysis, and Psychology. 22 points need to come off of them in some combination in order for you to have only EDU 17. Please let me know how many points you're taking off of each skill.

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:18 am
by HelplessBystander
Sure:

Library use: 50 (-20)

First Aid: 48 (-2)

Psychology: 75 (-10)

Bargain: 10 (-10)

...It's a somewhat difficult decision, but I've decided to downgrade these 4 skills. Is my sheet okay now? :)

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy
You only need to remove a total of 22 points, and you've taken off 42. You can go ahead and put 20 of them back.

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:27 am
by HelplessBystander
Great!

Bargain: 15 (+5)

Medicine: 20 (+15)

Edit: Oops, almost ofrgot to add another 5 to the Medicine skill. But this works, right?

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:36 am
by Mr. Handy
I got you started, and your thread is here. You may start posting in character there whenever you are ready.

I had made a couple of mistakes when reviewing your character sheet. I'd gotten confused and thought you had initially left Climb at 40%, but it was at 60%, so I kept it there. Your starting wealth is calculated differently in 6th edition than in 7th. Also, Biology is an occupational skill for you, not Bargain, but everything worked out and your hobby points were used to boost Bargain. I also made a few minor spelling and grammar corrections. Your character sheet is now posted as well.

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:45 am
by HelplessBystander
Thanks! :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:39 pm
by Mr.Green
Why is there a crack in my wall... Is that the sound of gunfire? Where am I? Who am I?

Hi Mr. Handy,
Am I in the right place? I'm happy to pick up someones soulless body, or should I roll up a new character?

Cheers,
Mr.Green

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome aboard! Yes, this is the right place. I could use someone to take over the character of Seamus O'Leary, whose player hasn't logged in since July. There's some catching up to do, but not too much. In fact, you're not allowed to read any of the In Character threads that don't have your character in them until after the adventure is over (except for Introduction, which everyone may read). If you want him, you should read the following IC threads in the order listed below:

Episode 1: The Shelter, Rain of Death, Into the Storm
Episode 2: Prisoners of Time, The Long Night

Once you've caught up, you may start posting in The Long Night whenever your ready.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:05 am
by HelplessBystander
Okay, Mr. Handy, do you mind changing Anna’s character pic to this? Thanks. :)

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy
Done!

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:47 am
by HelplessBystander
Thanks!

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:26 am
by HelplessBystander
I hate to say this again, but mr. Handy, do you mind replacing Anna's profile pic agin? Sorry for bothering you so much, but it's #Inktober and my hands can't rest. Image

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy
Done!

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:32 am
by HelplessBystander
Thank you SO much for this! :)

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy
No problem! :D

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:31 am
by Hanith
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]

[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]

[dice]7[/dice]

[dice]8[/dice]

Damn these rolls T_T. Time for a different character concept.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
I don't want the rolls to stop you from playing the kind of character you want to play. They don't seem that bad. What exactly is it about them that doesn't work with your character concept? If the wealth roll is too low, you could always be playing someone who used to be wealthy and has now fallen on hard times. That's all too common in wartime.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:01 am
by Hanith
I'm good. I just wasn't expecting such a slanted distribution with the 8,6 and 3 and the 15s. I'll have to look into a bit of history but my occupation will be along the lines of Entreprenuer, Owner-Operator, or some other person who started / ran a business. With his age being 54, I'll have some wiggle room regarding it. I took the age-hit from Dex if you are wondering. I'll finish up the character before I goto bed tonight.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
You can use the following as your occupational skills: Accounting, Bargain, Credit Rating, Fast Talk, Persuade, Psychology, and two other skills of your choice as personal or era specialties.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:46 am
by Hanith
Player: Hanith
Name: Charles Davis
Current Residence: London, England
Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Birthdate: May 3, 1886

Characteristics:
STR: 9
CON: 10
SIZ: 15
DEX: 7
APP: 6
INT: 15 (Idea - 75)
POW: 15 (Luck - 75)

Sanity: 75
Maximum Sanity: 75
Hit Points: 13
Magic Points: 15

Description: Heavyset and just south of "plain" in appearance. He stand just over 6' tall and moves somewhat slowly due to the early stages of arthritis. He has a keen intellect and has had others refer to his business methods (and him) as "Ugly, gruff, and fair." Though quiet and shrewd, Charles still enjoys sitting around a fire, telling stories, and simply enjoying the company of others.

Background: Charles Davis was born in Chicago on May 3, 1886. Upon his tenth birthday, he began work at his father's steel mill where he both worked the line and studied under his father's tutelage in all manners of the business. At the age of 21, he asked his father for a loan to start his own business. His father approved and Charles opened a factory that would purchase his father's factory's billets and machine them into structural beams and wire. In 1917, As The Great War began to increase in intensity for the United States, many of his and his father's workers were drafted leaving occupations unfilled. Charles himself avoided the draft as he had turned 31 just the month prior. His father passed away shorty after "draft day" due to ongoing medical problems and his father's steel mill was absorbed into Charles's business. Production and personal wealth increased as many of the open positions were filled as the factory and the mill opened its doors to the influx of Mexican immigrants and African Americans into Chicago throughout 1918. Profit also surged as new factory additions allowed for production of barbed wire for use in the war effort and across rapidly expanding farms throughout the mid-west. Though registered for the draft in September of 1918 due to changes in the criteria, he was never selected. At the conclusion of The Great War, many returning ex-workers were offered positions at the factory and steel mill. In September of 1919, nationwide steel strikes had seen his business behind picket lines. Thanks to Charles's negotiations and working with local union officials, the steel mill and factory were once again operational by late November of the same year despite complaints from national union leadership. The boon in 1929 saw huge profits and expanding factory assets; but, the Great Depression settled in. The factory and steel mill had to shut down due to a near total lack of consumers only 4 years later. Bereft of his family business and with little wealth remaining, Charles had little hope for the states and moved to London in January of 1934 where he opened a general store and was met with good sales and many regulars. A year later, Charles opened a second general store in London. By the end of 1938, the second store was closed as many of his customers had fled the city due to talks of war with Germany and pressure from the IRA. Currently, Charles lives in the back room of his remaining store with sales being just enough to keep the door open. During particularly slow weeks, he is known to take odd jobs to supplement his income.

Skills: (Professional Skills Bold, Hobbies Underlined. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%): 60
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 65
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft Steel(05%): 60
Credit Rating (15%): 15
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 14
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%): 40
Electronics (01%): 31
Fast Talk (05%): 70
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%): 40
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%): 50
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%): 41
Other Language: Latin (01%):
Own Language: English (EDU x 5): 85
Persuade (15%): 70
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 45
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%):
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
Excellent! Your character is all set! I'll add him to the Character Sheets thread and get you started in your own IC thread soon. In the meantime, you can make a Sanity roll for having endured the first night of the Blitz in this thread. Sanity loss is 0/1, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed and 1 Sanity if you fail. If you do fail, you will at least be used to the Blitz and will not need to roll again on later nights.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
I've posted your character sheet and created a thread for you here. You may post there when you are ready.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:09 am
by jp1885
Hi MrHandy, as per your PM, I'd like to possess the mind of take over playing Eugene Thomson if I may.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome aboard, and he's all yours! I should be able to get an In Character thread for him up later tonight, but in the meantime you can catch up by reading his previous threads. Please refrain from reading any of the IC threads that he's not in (other than Introduction, which everyone may read). After the adventure concludes, you'll be allowed to go back and read everything. You'll need to read the following threads, in order:

Episode 1: Rain of Death (starting from this post)->Into the Storm
Episode 2: Prisoners of Time->The Long Night->The Morning After->Sunday Services->Comparing Notes->The Dead Girl->The Plot Thickens->Staying Behind

I'll edit a link into the end of Staying Behind to direct you to your new thread when I have time.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:49 pm
by jp1885
Thanks - I'll get reading!

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:02 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome. Your new thread, Surveillance, is now ready. I've added a link to it at the end of Staying Behind. You may post there as soon as you're caught up and ready. Have fun!