The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

London, 1940: The world is engulfed in the flames of war, and now the war has come to Great Britain's capital. German bombers rain death and destruction upon the blacked-out city, but what other terrors lurk unseen in the darkness? The Time Lord, his companions, and a handful of London's inhabitants doing their bit may be the only ones who can avert disaster.

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the fifth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that includes The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, The Shadow Over Dunwich, and The Brotherhood of Death.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Re: The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Post by yockenthwaite »

I'm a bit slow to reply at the moment, but will try to keep up! Struggling with MS-like illness though, so only popping into the thread every few days. Sorry DrPeterson and Mr Handy! Will try not to slow down the game too much. Enjoying the RAF detour :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thank you, and that's okay. I hope you feel better!

I'll be away at a convention from tomorrow through Sunday. I'll try to update the threads before I leave, but after that it will have to wait until next week, so feel free to interact with each other in your threads. I had been meaning to merge two of them, but it looks like people are still doing things in them, so that can wait until next week.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Indeed, we haven't even properly started yet :)
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I hope to be able to move things forward tomorrow night.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

I'm afraid that I'm going on a last minute holiday and may be very intermittent posting, if any. Will be away 8 Mar -3 Apr. Phyllis could hang around the street or head back to the church to give her important findings to the others, whichever you think best. Mr. Handy, please could you npc Phyllis when necessary.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's okay. You're in a thread by yourself anyway, so it can wait until you're able to post again. I will probably have you spend more time going to other houses on the street there in order to keep things in sync with the other threads.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

But where are you going? :)
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

I've been down with the flu for the past week. Starting to feel myself again. So I will post here in the next few days.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Mr H - I loved The Darkest Hour, and it's what inspired Archie's comment, however apocryphal the story may be. Bought the book after. There's s good interview with the author of the movie and book on History Extra podcast:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/sec ... kest-hour/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yeah, it was a great movie! I had a feeling that that's what inspired the comment, as it immediately reminded me of it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I saw that Paul of Cthulhu posted a link to this YouTube video about the British Museum's treasures being stored in the Aldwych tunnels:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Rather off topic but just wanted to mention that there's a batch of new Target novelisations out, inc Rose and Day of the Doctor. I'm currently reading the latter, by Steven Moffat. It's very good. I'm also very much looking forward to reading Russell T Davies having a go at expanding Rose. I'm reading them on my Kindle but have signed copies of all 5 (others Christmas Invasion, Twice Upon A Time and a reduced from existing length City of Death) on order from Forbidden Planet next week (the signed preorder copies have sold out). If they sell well it's possible we'll get more new novelisations in future. Brings back memories of me ogling Target books in the shops in the 1980s :)
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Mr H, would you be able to NPC Archie for a while please? I might take a bit of a break. Much appreciated. - Andy
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

yockenthwaite wrote:Rather off topic but just wanted to mention that there's a batch of new Target novelisations out, inc Rose and Day of the Doctor. I'm currently reading the latter, by Steven Moffat. It's very good. I'm also very much looking forward to reading Russell T Davies having a go at expanding Rose. I'm reading them on my Kindle but have signed copies of all 5 (others Christmas Invasion, Twice Upon A Time and a reduced from existing length City of Death) on order from Forbidden Planet next week (the signed preorder copies have sold out). If they sell well it's possible we'll get more new novelisations in future. Brings back memories of me ogling Target books in the shops in the 1980s :)
I grew up on those too! :) I was actually just in Forbidden Planet last night (I'm in London now) and found out they're having a signing with Steven Moffat on Friday evening. While I was there I bought two new Fighting Fantasy books, Port of Peril and the last copy they had of Gates of Death, as well as three books for two quid: two collections of Mythos fiction (Madness of Cthulhu and Weirder Shadows Over Innsmouth) and an alternate history story called Clash of Eagkes, where the Western Roman Empire never fell and mounts a transatlantic expedition in the 13th century. I also bought a copy of Arkham Noir when I was at the Orc's Nest today, a solitaire game that isn't available in the States.
andyw666 wrote:Mr H, would you be able to NPC Archie for a while please? I might take a bit of a break. Much appreciated. - Andy
Sure, no problem!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Mr. Handy wrote:I was actually just in Forbidden Planet last night (I'm in London now) and found out they're having a signing with Steven Moffat on Friday evening. While I was there I bought two new Fighting Fantasy books, Port of Peril and the last copy they had of Gates of Death, as well as three books for two quid: two collections of Mythos fiction (Madness of Cthulhu and Weirder Shadows Over Innsmouth) and an alternate history story called Clash of Eagkes, where the Western Roman Empire never fell and mounts a transatlantic expedition in the 13th century. I also bought a copy of Arkham Noir when I was at the Orc's Nest today, a solitaire game that isn't available in the States.
Excellent! Well hopefully I'll get my signed Targets next week. I actually read Port of Peril just the other day! It's very very linear, and a bonkers design, but there were a lot of things I liked about it, especially the characterisation and descriptions. And I have Gates of Death on order and due to be dispatched any day now. That is getting excellent reviews from readers.

I also got Chaosium's new version of Alone In The Dark just the other day. Just have to print out the character sheets and handouts and then I'm good to have a go at playing through it. I bought it in PDF in December but have been waiting for the print copy to play. I got a discount from the PDF purchase on the print order, which was good.

Have a good time in the UK!
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Oh and the signing in Forbidden Planet isn't just with Steven Moffat, but also Russell T Davies, Paul Cornell, Jenny T Colgan and James Goss. So all the new Target authors. All signing my copies. Woot!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, I'm having a great time! I don't know when I'll get a chance to play the new FF books, as I've got quite a backlog. I have plenty of FF books I bought on trips to London years ago that I haven't gotten to yet, and I'm currently in the middle of a marathon reading of the Outlander series. If you haven't read that yet, you should, as it would be right up your alley and is even connected to Doctor Who. The character of Jamie Fraser is inspired by Jamie MacCrimmon.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Haha! I've had people recommend Outlander to me before. And yes I think I would probably enjoy it. But given the amount of books, and how it would probably suck me in, I'm trying to resist for now :) Though I did pick up the first couple when they were on special offer for the Kindle, just in case, and for the inevitable time when I will read them! I did know they came out of Doctor Who fanfic.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It is a huge amount of reading, and it does pull you in. I actually started reading the first book in early 2003 and got about halfway through, but the sleep deprivation caused by my condition made it impossible to continue. Once I found out what I had and started to take medicine that made it possible for me to get a halfway decent amount of sleep in 2009, I was able to read for pleasure again, but I didn't get into Outlander again until recently. It was the TV series that reminded me of it and got me interested/obsessed again.

Oh, I've also been listening to the Scarifyers on BBC Radio 4 in my hotel. They've been airing The King of Winter, one episode per night, since last night, and I'll be here long enough to hear the whole thing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Let's see if I can upload this image. This was my supper some hours ago. Newly published and updated Call of Cthulhu solo RPG adventure together with Gahan Wilson Cthulhu-y mug of coffee and a Portugese custard tart.
Attachments
30629770_10213164447324728_264962128832626688_n.jpg

Return to “The Horror in the Blackout”