Landing and cross country

It’s Monday, August 19, 1991. Yesterday, Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev was removed from office in a coup arranged by hard-line communists in his government.

Protests against the coup are breaking out across the Soviet Union. Nationalist insurgents in the various Soviet republics are declaring independence from the illegitimate “State Committee for the State of Emergency.”

The Investigators are members of a Soviet Spetsnaz, or Special Purposes Forces, unit. They were selected for this elite military service due to their political reliability and physical fitness. After intense training and as much as two years of service in Afghanistan, they are hardened combat veterans. Many suspect that the coup plotters intend to use Spetsnaz units to bully the opposition into line. However, fate has intervened and the Investigators’ Spetsnaz unit has been kicked out of bed for a less political, but even more pressing, assignment

Moderator: Cearlan

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Landing and cross country

Post by Cearlan »

The door panel crackles and sparks fly off with a smell of burning, but the doors open about three and a half feet before they stick again. This allows one person at a time to pass the portal. As you pass through you can confirm that there is in fact a stairway descending into Stygian blackness and a utility elevator, which is at the bottom of the shaft. The landing can hold about six people and their gear. More screams echo from outside.
OOC:   Are you going to take the elevator or the stairs?  
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Nick Korovin

Korovin lights a flare...

"I opt for the stairs. More space for maneuvers than the elevator if we are attacked."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Da, good idea, Comrade," says Viktor. "I can bring up the rear in case they come up behind us. We'll want to seal the portal after us once we're all inside, but I don't know how long it will keep them out."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

"That's a good question actually. How many of us are left?"- He doesn't complete the phrase "alive"
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by Vladd »

Everyone inside, we will do a quick head count to see who is still with us. Babenko as we head down the stairs see if you can seal that door again. Korovin, Muradov you support Babenko in case any of those things try to follow us. Now who is here?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Nick Korovin

"Da, Captain," says Korovin and adds: "I can booby trap the entrance if needed, set a trap wire we can easily remove on our way out."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Once everyone is in you find that all the investigators, six of the other Spetsnaz operatives and only one of the scientists have managed to survive his way into the complex. Amongst the six Spetsnaz, are there are two flamethrower - armed soldiers who look exceptionally shaken. The lone scientist is in a worse condition, (after taking much harder SAN hits due to being in the LB-MTV when the creatures were howling and attacking and seeing his comrades being torn apart like rag-dolls - he's barely a functioning soldier). The elevator shaft is approximately 15 metres across and descends some 30 metres deep into the cold Siberian earth.

At the base of the stairwell is a set of huge blast doors, that open onto a brightly lit corridor some five metres diameter with a steel floor covering cabling that connects the base. The walls of the tunnels connecting the equipment terminals to the silos are filled with exposed racks that hold wiring and electrical buses, making them about one meter narrower. The floor-plates can be lifted.

Straight across from the blast doors is a map of the complex, though it is smeared with blood and what looks to be brain matter and is that ... is that the top of someone's head? Once this is cleared away you can see the following;
Silo 6 - Underground Complex
You are in a short corridor which ends to the right in a double door and to the left in a set of blast doors.
OOC:   The clock is most definitely ticking my bold comrades - just how long have you left till you have to complete the mission (hint - it's less than ... well that would be telling now :evil: ).  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should head for the control dome first," suggests Viktor. "It's right past the two sets of blast doors."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Babenko close the door and try to be sure it is solid, so nobody will be able to open it from the outside.
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by Vladd »

Everyone head for the control dome, hopefully we can find some answers there. Flame throwers cover our rear, but be careful where you point those thing, they are not really an indoor weapon.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Opening the first blast doors you enter a cross corridor with another blast door ahead of you and to your left and right. Above you to the right is an escape hatch, which you assume leads back to the surface.

If you proceed to open the door to the control dome you are confronted with a room that is roughly hemispherical in shape, some 30 meters in diameter at its base and 15 meters high. The interior area is inside divided into two floors connected by a spiral staircase.

Looking across the lower floor you can see:
• A large maintenance area with tools and repair supplies.
• A mechanical equipment room containing air processing equipment and the monitoring and control apparatus for services in the complex.
• An electrical equipment room for regulating the power needs of the control center.
• A kitchen, pantry and dining room.
• Enlisted men’s billet for ten men.
• Officers’ billet for six men. and
• A latrine.

A spiral staircase leads to an upper floor, which you believe must contain the operations room and possibly other rooms.

Oh, and the one thing I forgot to mention so far is that you can see three of the creatures from your position in front of the blast doors. Two are sitting on top of the operations room and one with his back to you 'eating' something. The one on the floor and one of the two on the operations room roof turn and look at you with glaring carmine eyes. The one on the floor rises slowly and levitates off the floor, a feral grin on it's face as some kind of meat and saliva fall from it's maw. The one that has seen you on the operations room roof also rises into the air and starts to descend towards you, howling as it glides down. This stirs the other one atop the operations room roof, who crawls to the edge of the roof before falling to the floor, which is when you notice that it has no legs or body below the stomach.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aim for the heart!" calls Viktor, raising his sniper rifle and taking a shot at the heart of the closest creature. While he hits it, it is not a good enough shot to hit it in the heart.
OOC,Unless I'm at point blank range. That's within 15 feet for me.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

Melnikov pulls his sidearm hoping for a more precise shot on the creatures, but his aim is off.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Babenko hits the creature, but not at the heart.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

The creatures move forward more slowly now, but still with purpose ... their purpose being to feast upon you all.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Viktor's second shot is far more accurate, striking the nearest of the creatures in the heart. "Get those flamethrowers up front!" he calls.
OOC,How much damage does my rifle do? The damage isn't listed on my character sheet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Can Babenko throw a grenade?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   Korovin has a higher Throw skill at 68%, maybe he should be throwing the grenade?

Is it safe to use grenades in this enclosed space?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I wouldn't chance it. Besides, how do you aim for the heart with a grenade?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: But the explosion would probably hit the heart too?

Return to “Cold Dead Hand”