Landing and cross country

It’s Monday, August 19, 1991. Yesterday, Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev was removed from office in a coup arranged by hard-line communists in his government.

Protests against the coup are breaking out across the Soviet Union. Nationalist insurgents in the various Soviet republics are declaring independence from the illegitimate “State Committee for the State of Emergency.”

The Investigators are members of a Soviet Spetsnaz, or Special Purposes Forces, unit. They were selected for this elite military service due to their political reliability and physical fitness. After intense training and as much as two years of service in Afghanistan, they are hardened combat veterans. Many suspect that the coup plotters intend to use Spetsnaz units to bully the opposition into line. However, fate has intervened and the Investigators’ Spetsnaz unit has been kicked out of bed for a less political, but even more pressing, assignment

Moderator: Cearlan

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Landing and cross country

Post by Cearlan »

Well you could always try it? Faint heart never won etc. After all what's the worst that could happen as has been said famously many, many times.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Babenko decides to finish the creatures throwing a grenade, but he is too nervous and fail.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Nick Korovin
Spoiler:
"Fire in the hole!" shouts Korovin, and hurls a second grenade towards the foul creatures.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

The creature nearest the group is scattered by the explosions from the two grenades. one from behind that almost threw the creature forwards at a slight angle, but Korovin's grenade lodges between the creature and it's frozen clothing, then it explodes.

The force of the second explosion has another effect though. As the initial explosion forced the creature towards you, and slightly to one side the blast weakens a strut above your head, and dust and pieces of concrete rain down upon you all. Enter the two flamethrowers. Yelling without any pretence of control, the two Spetsnaz soldiers enter and burn the second creature to a flaming, flailing, screaming husk that falls to the floor, thick acrid smoke pouring from it as it's un-life flees it's earthly prison. At the end, once the smoke thins out a bit, you notice the third creature scuttling around the perimeter of the hemispherical chamber. It enters one of the side chambers and is lost to view.
OOC:   Roll luck please - if you botch the roll, then you take (half) damage from the grenades.  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Nick Korovin

Nick's experience with explosions pays off - he evades the rain of shrapnel
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

Unfortunately, Melnikov is not quick enough to avoid the blast and shrapnel completely.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Astoundingly, not one piece of shrapnel comes near Viktor.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Babenko survived the explosion without a scratch.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   I'll change the damage taken to 1D6 - it won't really matter, and after all you may well need all those precious hit points soon enough. Although I'm not sure that anyone took any damage per-se.  
The blast echoes round the room and your ears ring from the two detonations, one after the other.

Shaking your head to regain your equilibrium, you see the back end of the creature as it glides into a side-chamber. It is the one that looks as though it houses the air processors and other control apparatus.

One of the flamethrower soldiers reacts quickest and staggers over to the mouth of the chamber, unleashing a gout of flame into the room. Any who follow will see the following sight;
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Viktor advances in the room just far enough to try to line up another shot.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Babenko will follow Viktor. Two guns are better than one, right?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Nick Korovin

Korovin cautiously follows the others, but instead of looking into the room, he turns around, scanning the main hall for any more intruding monsters. Pistol at ready.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

The creature descends at a rapid rate despite the flames engulfing it. It's screams echo deafeningly in the smaller chamber as it catches fire and falls to the ground, unfortunately taking out the flamethrower-wielding soldier with it's claw, neatly decapitating the unfortunate man.

But he had completed his task and the foul creature after crawling towards you a few feet eventually falls still. You wonder if you will ever get the stench of burning from your nostrils and perhaps more importantly from your mind.

Suddenly from behind you there comes the sound of screaming accompanied by the one sound you did not wish to hear - the sound that chills you to the marrow. There seems to be more of these creatures down here, more than the three you have killed in the bunker so far.

Korovin sees one of the rearguard soldiers get lifted from the ground screaming and fall back in two halves after the scream is suddenly truncated, just as another creature appears, it's face covered in the blood and entrails of Ludovic Afanasyev, a talented electrical engineer who seemed barely young enough to be away from his mothers apron, let alone be in the spetsnaz. You remember your last tour of Afghanistan with the fresh faced, open to the point of naivety with a mixture of fondness and sadness.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   Would Korovin be able to operate the flamethrower?  
Korovin is filled with icy dread and a thirst for revenge... He stumbles over to the decapitated soldier and tries to get hold of the flamethrower - the most effective weapon against these beasts.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Viktor whirls about, trying to draw a bead on one of the creatures.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   The base for a standard Spetsnaz operator using a flame-thrower is 10% so I'll give you say an extra 3D6% to that due to it's cumbersome and unweildy nature compared to the firearms you are used to.  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Nick Korovin

Nick picks up the flamethrower, and directs its muzzle in the general direction of the incoming beasts. He doesn't really hope to hit them, but rather wants to create a "wall of fire" to hold them back.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

The creature backs away warily as the flames lick around it. It's outer garments sizzle and start to smoulder, but do not catch alight. It disappears off to the left hand side.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Nick Korovin

"Get to the controls! I'll hold back the beasts," he shouts to the others and guards the entrance to the control room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Viktor nods and heads for the controls, keeping his rifle in his hands and his eyes open for any of the creatures.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Cold Dead Hand”