Page 1 of 1

Chapter 7: Back to the Farmhouse

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:41 am
by HoneyDog
After lunch, the heroes get back on the road and return to Ross’s Corners. After the losses of Rupert and Arthur, their sense of obligation to see this thing through is tempered by apprehension as to what comes next.

The time is 4pm and evening is beginning to draw in as they approach the tiny village. The loss of light makes the landscape and buildings seem more austere, almost forbidding.

Deciding that the general store might be a good place to inquire as to the local sheriff, the companions pull up in front. Ma Peters greets them cheerfully.

“You’re back! How was the farmhouse?” she asks.

Re: Chapter 7: Back to the Farmhouse

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"It was occupied," says Alice. "There was a vagrant hiding in the cellar." She describes the man. "He attacked two of us with a table leg and fled out the back. We just got back from taking one man to the hospital in Arkham; he's lucky he wasn't killed! We'd better report this to the sheriff. Do you know where we can find him?"

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:20 am
by HoneyDog
Ma Peter’s eyes widen in shock at this news.

“Good Lord!” she exclaims. “Wait here.”

She heads out the back and shortly returns with a tired-looking man of middle age, dressed in comfortable working clothes. A sheriff’s star is pinned to his chest. He is wiping his mouth with a napkin.

“I’m Pa Peters, and I’m the sheriff for Ross’s Corners” he announces. Ma told me you folks had some trouble at the old farmhouse. A vagrant you say? Can you tell me about it and describe this man?”

He is obviously concerned about the matter.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice nods and repeats her account and description to the sheriff. She glances at Henry. "You should show him your injury," she says.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:53 am
by andyw666
Balzac nods in agreement. "M. Sheriff, I have a medical background and I can tell you the vagrant came a hair's breadth from cracking our young friend's skull. He will be in the hospital for quite some time."

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:37 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry displays his injured shoulder but wants to appear brave in front of Alice.

"It's nothing really. I got off lightly but our friend took a frightful blow to the head."

"Say, any news of the missing woman?"

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
Sheriff Peters winces at the bruising on Henry’s arm.

“No news, but maybe your hobo can shed some light on the matter. God, I dread to think…”

Both he and Ma exchange an anguished look. Ma turns back to the companions.

“If you folks are going back to that farmhouse, you’d better be ready, just in case”
she says, frowning.

“Yeah” says Pa. “Are you armed”?

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:11 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry remembers the knife he picked up which he still has in his pocket. He doesn't have a firearm.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I'm not," says Alice. "You're right, he could come back. Ma Peters, do you have any arms for sale?"

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:57 am
by HoneyDog
storekeeper.jpg
Ma looks at Alice doubtfully. "Only shotguns and hunting rifles dear. Maybe a bit much for you, if you're not used to them."
OOC,The others bought some shotguns, you probably still have them.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:52 am
by andyw666
Balzac adds, "We have brought a shotgun and a rifle in case of wild animals, but I would hate to use such a weapon on a person except as the very last resort."

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:05 am
by HoneyDog
"Well, if it comes to that don't hesitate" says Pa forcefully. "Well, we'll take a look nearby those woods where you say the hobo was running to, but it'll be dark soon. You folks should get yourselves set up before then"
OOC,Sorry about all the crazy text colours. Do you want to do anything else at the store?

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've never used a gun before, no," says Alice. "I don't like being helpless, but I do have these gentlemen to protect me."

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:02 am
by andyw666
Balzac nods. "Well, we have food and blankets. Perhaps we could buy some firewood then we should be off."

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:01 am
by HoneyDog
Saying goodbye to Ma, the investigators return to the car and head out to the farmhouse. A light snow has begun and the temperature has dropped considerably – it promises to be a very cold night.

They arrive just as the sun sets. In the short twilight, they begin to unload their supplies from the car. The farmhouse looks the same as before, but one might get the sense in the dim light that it has retreated into itself, drawing its secrets within.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We need to make sure he hasn't come back," says Alice, "and that the house is secure. Then we can proceed with our task."

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:52 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Once inside Henry will check the small piece of wood he jammed in the attic access to make sure it hasn't moved.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 am
by HoneyDog
The heroes are on edge as they unlock the door and step into the gloomy, freezing house. Using their flashlights to look around, they pass through the empty front room into the back. So far, the house seems deserted, and no sounds can be heard.

Henry shines his flashlight up at the attic entrance, and sees that the piece of wood is still in place. The companions stand looking around, their breath clouding the cold air. The mouth of the cellar entrance looms ominously, and the fireplace feels like a gaping maw. It may just be the cold, or is there more than just a winter chill in the air?
Isadora,Roll POWx4

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 am
by andyw666
Balzac heads over to the fireplace. "Everything feels better with a good fire, so first things first. Once that's ready, I say we explore."

Balzac will quickly set about getting a fire going.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:11 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Spoiler:
POWx4 = 52
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:47 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora,Isadora is able to feel an incredible sensation of cruelty, hatred and hunger in the house. You'd better roll for SAN!

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:34 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Roll,[b]SAN 65 [dice]0[/dice][/b]
Isadora feels cold inside... Not just from the temperature, but from the evil that permeates the house.

"Something is here," she whispers to her companions. "We are not alone in this house..."

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:22 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"You mean like the hobo? Or Bernard?"

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:37 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"No... Something inhumane."

Isadora knows that the ever cynical Glynn will probably dismiss her intuition, but she doesn't care.

"I know you are skeptical about the events that took place here. But we need to understand, that we are in danger. There is something in this building, of unnatural origin.

We have to commence the ritual... But we have to be ready to be confronted by this presence!"

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:35 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Oh, I don't mind playing along Mrs Carmichael."

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:41 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"I appreciate that. Faith doesn't seem to be listed as a requirement of the ritual."

She addresses the group as a whole.

"We need to prepare for the seance..."

She tries to recall the instructions, and asks for the six sheets with the Latin chants on them. How hard is it to "reverse" them?

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Balzac should be our watchman. If any ghosts turn up he can blow holes in them with his shotgun."

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:55 pm
by HoneyDog
At this point the companions begin to hear a faint whistling noise, which appears to be coming from the attic above. It gradually grows louder, and then disappears, as if it has left the house.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"According to the instructions," says Alice, handing them over to Isadora along with the Latin chants, "we're supposed to start at midnight. That gives us some time to get ready and look around first."

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:20 am
by andyw666
Balzac calls out from the vicinity of the fireplace, as he screws up newspaper and strikes a match, "Mme, I would not be comfortable without at least a cursory inspection of the rest of the house. We need no more vagrants."

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:04 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"I will stay here, and prepare the ritual, the circle... Will somebody assist me? In the meantime the rest of you can search the house - but be cautious."
HoneyDog wrote:At this point the companions begin to hear a faint whistling noise, which appears to be coming from the attic above. It gradually grows louder, and then disappears, as if it has left the house.
Though her companions mostly ignore this noise, it catches the attention of Isadora - has something really left? She tries to tune herself once again to the house, the malevolent vibrations... Does she still feel the same presence?
POW roll if applicable,[b]POWx4 = 52[/b] [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Let's check the cellar first. Then we can open up the attic. Sounds like there might be some damage to the roof - I heard the wind whistle through."

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:47 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora tries to perceive any more sensations like the overwhelming evil she felt earlier. But she can feel nothing. Is it because there is nothing to feel now, or could it because of something else?

Despite his injury, Henry is determined to take action. He heads for the cellar steps, and moves down towards where he was so brutally attacked earlier in the day. Pacing slowly down the cellar steps, using his flashlight to search out the gloom, he realizes with relief that the cellar is empty. His assailant has not returned to wreak more mischief upon him.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll help you," Alice says to Isadora. "I may not understand what I'll be doing, but I'm good at following directions. It's kind of a requirement for my job."

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:47 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Shall we check the attic Dr Balzac?"

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:06 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora tries to clear her mind of all worries, and concentrates on the task ahead. With Alice by her side as her "ritual secretary", she gets flashbacks to the private school in the Swiss mountains, where she dabbled in the occult with her classmates...

She carefully reads the instructions, then she starts the clear the center of the room, make place for the pentacle.

"I don't understand much either," she convinces to Alice. "But I feel that we are doing the right thing. And when fear clenches my soul, there is this good feeling too, so I go into the ritual with a positive mindset... Ultimately, this is essential to our success, more important, that knowledge of Latin or the Black arts."

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 pm
by andyw666
Balzac has the shotgun broken open over his right arm. "The attic it is, lead on monsieur." He makes sure he has a flashlight too.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:29 pm
by HoneyDog
A rickety old ladder stands against the wall which Balzac props under the attic door. He climbs carefully up and pushes at the door, but it is stuck, obliging him to get his shoulder into it.
Balzac,The door has a strength of 12, so you'll need to roll 45 or under. Good luck!

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:36 am
by andyw666
Balzac gives the attic door a shoulder slam. It doesn't budge! "Oww!! Merde! We may need the crowbar."
OOC,He rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice smiles at Isadora. "That's good," she says, "because I have less of those things than you have. You know, it occurs to me that all of this was caused by people who didn't understand what they' were doing."

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:34 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Mr. Handy wrote:Alice smiles at Isadora. "That's good," she says, "because I have less of those things than you have. You know, it occurs to me that all of this was caused by people who didn't understand what they' were doing."
"Yes, I think that's a fair assessment... They were experimenting, they were driven by a lust for knowledge and power. I know that feeling, although it never took me this far."

Now that the center of the room is free, Isadora, before actually "drawing" the signs, marks out the basic shape of the pentacle with some items, just to show its basic extant.

"I think it has to be big enough for us to sit inside..."
OOC:   Are there any instructions about this in the papers?  

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:22 am
by innsmouth
OOC:   Can Henry try to open the attic up or does his injured shoulder prevent an attempt?  

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:55 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora,Refer to Putnam's journal for additional information.
Henry,Henry is more likely to make his injury worse. He should really be resting.
Balzac,Try with your crowbar - roll 75 or under this time.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:06 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I don't think I can help you Dr Balzac. My shoulder is too bad. Try the crowbar."

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I thought the box had to go inside the pentagram, and we sit outside it," says Alice, reviewing the journal.

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:20 am
by andyw666
Balzac rolls his shoulder a few times and rubs it, muttering vile French oaths under his breath. He races out to the vehicles, grabs the crowbar, the rifle and its ammunition. He then returns, depositing the rifle and rounds with the ladies. Then it's back to the attic with the crowbar.
OOC,He rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"We also need these candles," Isadora says, rummaging through their scant ritual inventory. Will they be enough to last two hours? She also checks the fireplace - is there firewood, newspapers, to light the fire?

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:34 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry shines the flashlight into the attic space.

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:47 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora also checks out the warding signs, carved many years ago by Marion Allan. Is it possible to retrace them?

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:46 pm
by andyw666
OOC,Balzac should already have got the fire going in the fireplace I believe.

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:09 pm
by HoneyDog
Balzac,The first thing which Balzac experiences is the smell. It is the reek of decades of decay, and it causes him to cough and retch. He’s encountered worse in France, but this is still an assault on the senses. As he shines his flashlight around the attic, he sees the cause of the stench. There are scores of rotting and skeletonized corpses of small birds and mammals littering the floor.
evil_scientist,Isadora can do this but it's dark now and if she is not familiar with the magic used to create them she might be wasting her efforts.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think they're big enough to burn for two hours," says Alice. "It says here we're supposed to place them near the center of the pentagram, on either side of the piece of amber."

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:46 am
by andyw666
Balzac splutters a bit. "There seem to be a great many dead animals up here!" He calls down. "I wonder if they were something else's dinner?" Balzac does sound a little nervous, despite himself.

Balzac first uses the flashlight to search all of the corners of the attic, and the underside of the roof.
OOC,If the coast seems clear, he'll lift the shotgun into the attic then clamber up completely and start creeping around with weapon and flashlight. He is wary of rotten floors too and will step gingerly.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:42 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac,Balzac roots around the attic, his nose crinkling in distaste at the smell. Apart from the animal remains however, there is nothing of interest. It is very cold up there.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:39 am
by andyw666
Balzac calls out, "M. Henry, what do you make of this?"

Balzac squats down on his haunches, resting the shotgun across his lap, and peers at dead fauna with his flashlight and magnifying glass. He tries to gauge the range of dead critters and to find a relatively "fresh" corpse.
OOC,Can [b]Balzac[/b] make a [i]Biology[/i] or possibly [i]Natural History[/i] roll to make some assessment of what, if any, predator is killing and/or eating these animals, and how they are being killed?

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:22 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac,Sure! Try Biology.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:13 pm
by andyw666
OOC,Sweet! [b]Balzac[/b] has a [i]Biology[/i] skill of 76% and rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:12 pm
by HoneyDog
Balzac,[b]Balzac[/b] begins to closely examine the corpses of the animals with the aid of his trusty magnifying glass and flashlight. He soon notices a common pattern. Each body he looks at shows signs of the ribs or chest being gnawed apart and the heart eaten out. Additionally, the edges of the wounds are consistently smooth, indicating a pattern of feeding that he is unfamiliar with.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:29 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"It sure smells bad up here" says Henry appearing at the hatch.

"What do you think killed them Dr Balzac? Coyotes or a bobcat perhaps?"

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:06 am
by andyw666
Balzac shines his flashlight around the attic, looking for holes in the walls or roof. "I wonder how it is getting in and out? Well, we're in something's lair and I suggest we get back downstairs."

Balzac hastily wraps a "fresh" dead animal in his handkerchief then will head back out of the attic, shutting the door once Henry is safely out too.

"Most definitely no local predator. In fact, I don't know what it is, which is both interesting and perhaps a little alarming. Let us return to the ladies and I shall show you all my findings."

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:12 am
by HoneyDog
The companions rejoin in the back room where they warm themselves by the fire and prepare for their evening meal. The night has set in and the darkness is an ominous presence outside the window. It has become very cold and the group wrap themselves in blankets as they eat and discuss events so far.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:31 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Upon their return the two "boys" see the living room transformed into a ritual space, with furniture moved to the walls and various objects spread out on the floorboards. Isadora is relieved that Balzac and Glynn made it back in safety. "What did you find?" she inquires.
Looks like her feeling that something has left the house was right. Yet she shivers, not only from the cold, but also from the anticipation of the ritual, and the possible return of the evil power.

"The three of us can chant, then, with Dr Balzac as our guardian."

She lifts the little box with the "Dust of Abu-Ghazi" inside.

"In the journal they wrote that this powder turns the shapeless entity visible... So maybe Dr Balzac should have it. But I hope we won't have to use it. If our ritual is successful, I presume the power will be bound to the center of our pentacle."

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:02 pm
by andyw666
Balzac clears his throat. "Ladies and Gentleman, I must show you something before we proceed any further. Ladies, as M. Glynn will agree, the attic is full of the rotting remains of small animals. But look at this."

Balzac unwraps his handkerchief to reveal a little dead animal then pulls out his magnifying glass for the other to see with.

"Every animal has had its ribs or chest gnawed apart and its heart eaten out. And look at the wound. Every wound I examined was smooth. I can tell you with certainty no animal currently known to science feeds like this." Balzac pauses to look at each of his colleagues.

"I must once again be the voice of caution. An animal completely unknown to science has its lair in the attic. Do I want to see it? Yes, but not at night, unprepared."

"We cannot judge how dangerous it is. It is currently out, perhaps hunting, but it may return at any time. Should we not leave this place for tonight and return in the morning, with daylight on our side? We have no proof that the professor's magic words will work but at the very least, I feel returning in the morning will give us more time to perform this ritual properly."

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think waiting is a good idea," says Alice. "We're as ready as we're going to get tonight, and if that...predator is allowed to hunt another day, someone could be killed. Someone may have already been killed. Maybe that's what happened to the missing woman. The hobo might not have had anything to do with it. I don't know if the ritual will do anything either, but we promised the professor we'd do it, and the journal said it must be done at midnight."

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:01 am
by andyw666
Balzac ploughs on in a voice of French-Canadian accented reason. "Do we have any evidence to suggest this creature is in fact a danger to the citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts? We only have the general concern expressed by the professor that the creature will now be released from its ethereal bonds. Perhaps we jump to conclusions to assume the creature poses a risk to anyone, except perhaps four people camped in its lair."

"I only ask as I wish for us to be clear why we think it is so urgent we stay here tonight?"

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:48 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"The evil force that permeates this house is enough evidence for me," says Isadora. "We need to stay here and commence the ritual, before anything even worse happens."

"Besides, the professor voiced in his journal not merely 'concerns'. One of their friends was killed by the creature."

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:01 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry appeals to Balzac "The ladies seem determined to see this through and we can't abandon them. Whatever has been eating the critters is sure to be no match for your shotgun."

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:23 am
by andyw666
Balzac shrugs Gallicly. "If you are determined to stay, I will of course stay with you."

"Mme Carmichael, you make a good point about the death mentioned in the professor's journal. My concern about that account is I am not yet convinced it really happened as described. I am sorry but I do not believe in magic. I believe in unexplained phenomena and unidentified fauna and flora, but I believe science can eventually shine a light on those."

"Well, we shall soon see. Let us have dinner."
Balzac turns his attentions to the food.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:53 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry wraps an extra blanket over Alice's shoulders and offers Balzac a piece of Ma Peters' bread.

"Mrs Carmichael, you said yesterday that you'd had a previous experience of an 'entity'. Now might be a good time to share your story?"

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Henry," says Alice, pulling the blanket around herself as she begins to eat and listens to Isadora.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:19 am
by andyw666
Balzac lights a Gauloises, pours himself a cup of thermos coffee (pre-creamed and sugared) and proceeds to start messily dunking bread roll in coffee. He makes a polite "you have the floor" gesture to Isadora.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:32 am
by HoneyDog
evil_scientist,I'm assuming you probably don't want to relate the whole Haunting story, but if you do please let me know and you can do so.
As Isadora regales her companions with the story of the terror of the Corbitt House, the night draws on. The heroes become drowsy by the heat of the fire, wrapped in their blankets. It is peaceful outside, and one can begin to imagine a more pleasant set of circumstances than the ones which have brought them together.

The time is now about 10pm...
OOC,You can all roll Listen.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:44 am
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Listen 25%[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:41 am
by evil_scientist
OOC,I don't have the inspiration to re-tell the story in color, so maybe I will write it up later!
Isadora Carmichael

Listen 25%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:39 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac[/b] has a [i]Listen[/i] skill of 25% and rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice doesn't hear anything.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) in the house: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:55 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora,Over the quiet murmur of conversation, [b]Isadora[/b] hears a distant scream of absolute terror and horror. It could be a man, but she cannot tell. It is horrific to listen to, but it is abruptly cut off, and doesn’t reoccur.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:53 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"...and then we found a strange symbol painted on the wall near the ruined church....... Wait!! Did you hear that?" Isadora says abruptly breaking her own story.

"There was... a scream outside. A human screaming!"

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:10 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Dr Balzac, one of us should stay with the ladies while the other goes take a look."

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:26 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"No, no, none of us should walk around alone in the darkness. Let us all go, it's the safest if we are all together."

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:10 am
by HoneyDog
The companions go outside, shivering in the cold. Despite the light of the moon, which illuminates the surrounding fields, nothing can be seen apart from snow and the woods beyond. There are no fresh tracks around.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:47 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Where do you think the scream came from Mrs Carmichael? Are you sure it was a scream? Could it have been a whip-poor-will perhaps?"

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:08 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"It was definitely a scream," she says. "But I'm not sure from where. It was somewhere nearby, in the woods, but not too close, judging by its volume."

She nervously makes a few steps in the snow, then returns to the group.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:11 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Well maybe we should get back inside before we freeze. Poor Miss Stanton is shivering."

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:07 pm
by andyw666
Balzac shines his flashlight around. "Perhaps we could do a circuit around the house, say a hundred yards out? Just to see if anyone is out there but not far enough to get lost."

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:24 pm
by HoneyDog
Wearily, the other investigators join Balzac to circle around the house, but see nothing untoward. Anxious and cold, they return to the warmth of the back room to dry out their feet.
OOC,It is soon time for the ceremony to begin. I'll begin a new thread. I suggest you all have another look at the ceremony notes and Putnam's journal.