Chapter 7: Back to the Farmhouse

Arkham, Massachusetts, 1928. The last dying plea of an old friend and mentor leads to an encounter with a horror beyond description. Unwittingly released into the world nearly fifty years before, it is now time to finally confront the mistakes of the past. But it will come at great cost...

Moderator: HoneyDog

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 7: Back to the Farmhouse

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
Mr. Handy wrote:Alice smiles at Isadora. "That's good," she says, "because I have less of those things than you have. You know, it occurs to me that all of this was caused by people who didn't understand what they' were doing."
"Yes, I think that's a fair assessment... They were experimenting, they were driven by a lust for knowledge and power. I know that feeling, although it never took me this far."

Now that the center of the room is free, Isadora, before actually "drawing" the signs, marks out the basic shape of the pentacle with some items, just to show its basic extant.

"I think it has to be big enough for us to sit inside..."
OOC:   Are there any instructions about this in the papers?  
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   Can Henry try to open the attic up or does his injured shoulder prevent an attempt?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora,Refer to Putnam's journal for additional information.
Henry,Henry is more likely to make his injury worse. He should really be resting.
Balzac,Try with your crowbar - roll 75 or under this time.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"I don't think I can help you Dr Balzac. My shoulder is too bad. Try the crowbar."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I thought the box had to go inside the pentagram, and we sit outside it," says Alice, reviewing the journal.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac rolls his shoulder a few times and rubs it, muttering vile French oaths under his breath. He races out to the vehicles, grabs the crowbar, the rifle and its ammunition. He then returns, depositing the rifle and rounds with the ladies. Then it's back to the attic with the crowbar.
OOC,He rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"We also need these candles," Isadora says, rummaging through their scant ritual inventory. Will they be enough to last two hours? She also checks the fireplace - is there firewood, newspapers, to light the fire?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry shines the flashlight into the attic space.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora also checks out the warding signs, carved many years ago by Marion Allan. Is it possible to retrace them?
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,Balzac should already have got the fire going in the fireplace I believe.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Balzac,The first thing which Balzac experiences is the smell. It is the reek of decades of decay, and it causes him to cough and retch. He’s encountered worse in France, but this is still an assault on the senses. As he shines his flashlight around the attic, he sees the cause of the stench. There are scores of rotting and skeletonized corpses of small birds and mammals littering the floor.
evil_scientist,Isadora can do this but it's dark now and if she is not familiar with the magic used to create them she might be wasting her efforts.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think they're big enough to burn for two hours," says Alice. "It says here we're supposed to place them near the center of the pentagram, on either side of the piece of amber."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac splutters a bit. "There seem to be a great many dead animals up here!" He calls down. "I wonder if they were something else's dinner?" Balzac does sound a little nervous, despite himself.

Balzac first uses the flashlight to search all of the corners of the attic, and the underside of the roof.
OOC,If the coast seems clear, he'll lift the shotgun into the attic then clamber up completely and start creeping around with weapon and flashlight. He is wary of rotten floors too and will step gingerly.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Balzac,Balzac roots around the attic, his nose crinkling in distaste at the smell. Apart from the animal remains however, there is nothing of interest. It is very cold up there.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac calls out, "M. Henry, what do you make of this?"

Balzac squats down on his haunches, resting the shotgun across his lap, and peers at dead fauna with his flashlight and magnifying glass. He tries to gauge the range of dead critters and to find a relatively "fresh" corpse.
OOC,Can [b]Balzac[/b] make a [i]Biology[/i] or possibly [i]Natural History[/i] roll to make some assessment of what, if any, predator is killing and/or eating these animals, and how they are being killed?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Balzac,Sure! Try Biology.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,Sweet! [b]Balzac[/b] has a [i]Biology[/i] skill of 76% and rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Balzac,[b]Balzac[/b] begins to closely examine the corpses of the animals with the aid of his trusty magnifying glass and flashlight. He soon notices a common pattern. Each body he looks at shows signs of the ribs or chest being gnawed apart and the heart eaten out. Additionally, the edges of the wounds are consistently smooth, indicating a pattern of feeding that he is unfamiliar with.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"It sure smells bad up here" says Henry appearing at the hatch.

"What do you think killed them Dr Balzac? Coyotes or a bobcat perhaps?"
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac shines his flashlight around the attic, looking for holes in the walls or roof. "I wonder how it is getting in and out? Well, we're in something's lair and I suggest we get back downstairs."

Balzac hastily wraps a "fresh" dead animal in his handkerchief then will head back out of the attic, shutting the door once Henry is safely out too.

"Most definitely no local predator. In fact, I don't know what it is, which is both interesting and perhaps a little alarming. Let us return to the ladies and I shall show you all my findings."

Return to “Edge of Darkness”