Chapter 7: Back to the Farmhouse

Arkham, Massachusetts, 1928. The last dying plea of an old friend and mentor leads to an encounter with a horror beyond description. Unwittingly released into the world nearly fifty years before, it is now time to finally confront the mistakes of the past. But it will come at great cost...

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 7: Back to the Farmhouse

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora,Isadora is able to feel an incredible sensation of cruelty, hatred and hunger in the house. You'd better roll for SAN!
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
Roll,[b]SAN 65 [dice]0[/dice][/b]
Isadora feels cold inside... Not just from the temperature, but from the evil that permeates the house.

"Something is here," she whispers to her companions. "We are not alone in this house..."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"You mean like the hobo? Or Bernard?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"No... Something inhumane."

Isadora knows that the ever cynical Glynn will probably dismiss her intuition, but she doesn't care.

"I know you are skeptical about the events that took place here. But we need to understand, that we are in danger. There is something in this building, of unnatural origin.

We have to commence the ritual... But we have to be ready to be confronted by this presence!"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Oh, I don't mind playing along Mrs Carmichael."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"I appreciate that. Faith doesn't seem to be listed as a requirement of the ritual."

She addresses the group as a whole.

"We need to prepare for the seance..."

She tries to recall the instructions, and asks for the six sheets with the Latin chants on them. How hard is it to "reverse" them?
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Balzac should be our watchman. If any ghosts turn up he can blow holes in them with his shotgun."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

At this point the companions begin to hear a faint whistling noise, which appears to be coming from the attic above. It gradually grows louder, and then disappears, as if it has left the house.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"According to the instructions," says Alice, handing them over to Isadora along with the Latin chants, "we're supposed to start at midnight. That gives us some time to get ready and look around first."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac calls out from the vicinity of the fireplace, as he screws up newspaper and strikes a match, "Mme, I would not be comfortable without at least a cursory inspection of the rest of the house. We need no more vagrants."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"I will stay here, and prepare the ritual, the circle... Will somebody assist me? In the meantime the rest of you can search the house - but be cautious."
HoneyDog wrote:At this point the companions begin to hear a faint whistling noise, which appears to be coming from the attic above. It gradually grows louder, and then disappears, as if it has left the house.
Though her companions mostly ignore this noise, it catches the attention of Isadora - has something really left? She tries to tune herself once again to the house, the malevolent vibrations... Does she still feel the same presence?
POW roll if applicable,[b]POWx4 = 52[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Let's check the cellar first. Then we can open up the attic. Sounds like there might be some damage to the roof - I heard the wind whistle through."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora tries to perceive any more sensations like the overwhelming evil she felt earlier. But she can feel nothing. Is it because there is nothing to feel now, or could it because of something else?

Despite his injury, Henry is determined to take action. He heads for the cellar steps, and moves down towards where he was so brutally attacked earlier in the day. Pacing slowly down the cellar steps, using his flashlight to search out the gloom, he realizes with relief that the cellar is empty. His assailant has not returned to wreak more mischief upon him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll help you," Alice says to Isadora. "I may not understand what I'll be doing, but I'm good at following directions. It's kind of a requirement for my job."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Shall we check the attic Dr Balzac?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora tries to clear her mind of all worries, and concentrates on the task ahead. With Alice by her side as her "ritual secretary", she gets flashbacks to the private school in the Swiss mountains, where she dabbled in the occult with her classmates...

She carefully reads the instructions, then she starts the clear the center of the room, make place for the pentacle.

"I don't understand much either," she convinces to Alice. "But I feel that we are doing the right thing. And when fear clenches my soul, there is this good feeling too, so I go into the ritual with a positive mindset... Ultimately, this is essential to our success, more important, that knowledge of Latin or the Black arts."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac has the shotgun broken open over his right arm. "The attic it is, lead on monsieur." He makes sure he has a flashlight too.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

A rickety old ladder stands against the wall which Balzac props under the attic door. He climbs carefully up and pushes at the door, but it is stuck, obliging him to get his shoulder into it.
Balzac,The door has a strength of 12, so you'll need to roll 45 or under. Good luck!
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac gives the attic door a shoulder slam. It doesn't budge! "Oww!! Merde! We may need the crowbar."
OOC,He rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by andyw666 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice smiles at Isadora. "That's good," she says, "because I have less of those things than you have. You know, it occurs to me that all of this was caused by people who didn't understand what they' were doing."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Edge of Darkness”