Page 1 of 1

Chapter 5: The Farmhouse

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:51 am
by HoneyDog
With Ma Peter's stinging rebuke still ringing in their ears, the investigators load their supplies and set off, heading north on Boone Road. They keep a look out for the woman she mentioned, but there is no-one on the road. After about twenty minutes, they are able to see a small house atop a hill to the east, as Ma Peters described.

They turn off the main road and head towards it. Luckily the snow has been light, so the rough track to the farmhouse is passable.
Farmhouse.jpg
The house is an 18th Century sandbox design, with one floor and an attic above. It looks okay from a distance, but as you approach you can see that it obviously hasn’t been inhabited for some time. The shutters are sagging and the roof is bowed, although the shingles are intact.

The cars come to a halt, and the heroes sit silently, regarding the house. This is the moment they have been waiting for. Are Professor Putnam’s claims true, and just the fevered ramblings of a sick and dying man?

Re: Chapter 5: The Farmhouse

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, let's go inside and start looking around," says Alice, taking out the key. "I've still got the key." She heads to the front door to unlock it.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:38 am
by HoneyDog
As Alice and the others near the front door, they begin to see strange symbols carved into the lintels over all the doors and windows.
OOC,Anyone is free to make an Occult roll.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice has never seen anything like the symbols before.
OOC,Occult roll (5% base skill) about the symbols: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:14 am
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Occult 70 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:59 am
by HoneyDog
Henry,You easily recognize these as occult symbols of power, used to ward against otherworldly spirits.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:11 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I read about these while researching for my book. Some people believe they are symbols of power used to ward against otherworldly spirits."

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:03 pm
by Wolf
Arthur Vivar
"So those are the symbols mentioned in the diary. But, based on what the professor said, they are now powerless."
OOC:   Arthur will approach a window nearby and peep inside, if possible  

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:07 pm
by HoneyDog
Arthur attempts to get a look through the window, although the years of grime which have accumulated prevent him from seeing much. There is no movement that he can see though, just a lot of dirt. The place seems deserted.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:12 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry gives the front door a little push to see if it's still locked.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:15 pm
by HoneyDog
The door is locked, and will have to be opened by Alice's key.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:16 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Are you sure you wouldn't prefer to wait in the car Alice? At least until we've made sure it's safe? You too Mrs Carmichael?"

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:28 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"If there's anyone or anything out to get us, we are just as vulnerable in the car, as in the house, maybe even more so..." Isadora answers to Glynn. "Besides, I'm dead set on hiding behind you if we are attacked."

This last sentence is delivered in a dead-pan fashion. Then Isadora returns to studying the occult signs on the lintel, maybe she can learn something more about them:

Occult 45%
[dice]0[/dice]

"Let's walk around the house first, to see if there are any more entrances..."

'Or escape routes...' she adds gloomily to herself.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:35 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry suddenly thinks to examine the snow for tracks.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:28 am
by HoneyDog
There don't seem to be any fresh tracks by the front door. Walking around to the back, Henry and Isadora can see that the grass around the sides of the house has grown quite long, almost reaching the windows. The only signs of anything living they can spot are a few tracks which obviously belong to some kind of winter bird.
Henry & Isadora,You can both roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I appreciate that you want to protect me, Henry," says Alice, "but Mrs. Carmichael is right. You can protect me better if I'm inside the house where you are. Now, are we ready to go inside?" She takes out the key to unlock the door once the others are ready.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:24 am
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Spot Hidden 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:26 am
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:There don't seem to be any fresh tracks by the front door. Walking around to the back, Henry and Isadora can see that the grass around the sides of the house has grown quite long, almost reaching the windows. The only signs of anything living they can spot are a few tracks which obviously belong to some kind of winter bird.
Henry & Isadora,You can both roll Spot Hidden.
Spot Hidden 30%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:31 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry to Isadora:

"Doesn't look like anyone has been around ... although I still think Bernard might turn up at some point. Let's take a look inside."

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:38 am
by andyw666
Balzac seizes the moment to light a Gauloises and amble around to the boot of his car. He opens it up and retrieves the double barrelled shotgun and cartridges. Breaking open the shotgun, Balzac quickly loads two cartridges and stuffs the rest in a pocket. "M. Marlowe, now might be a good time to collect your rifle." Balzac also retrieves a flashlight.

Once armed, he pauses to study the surrounding flora. Balzac is predicting slightly archaic agricultural vegetation left to run wild, combined with some native American flora.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Alice unlocks the door and enters, along with Balzac and Rupert, brandishing their firearms. Arthur follows behind. The door opens directly into the front room, which is dirty and long untouched. Dust lies thickly over the mantel and the shelves, and dead leaves and assorted detritus litters the floor. The wood of the floor is warping and badly stained, no doubt due to water leaking through the roof and ceiling of the attic above. There is an old couch and matching wing chairs, rotting away with mould. A faint, unpleasant odour is in the air. Ahead is an entrance which must lead to the kitchen / back room of the house.
Alice & Rupert,You can hear a soft scuffling, bumping noise, coming from what must be the cellar below.
Meanwhile, Isadora and Henry make their way to the back of the house. They find that the back door is in fact slightly ajar. Entering, they find themselves in the back room of the house, which also served as a kitchen. Ahead, by the entrance to the front room, a narrow opening in the floor reveals a steep flight of stairs which lead to the cellar. There is a trap door set in the ceiling above, it’s frame covered with the same symbols which decorate the outside of the house.

But the room seems to have been recently occupied. The dust is kicked up, and you can see fresh footprints. The large fireplace contains embers of a recent fire. Beside the fireplace, a large, new wool blanket has been tossed, next to which is an empty can of Campbell’s pork & beans. Nearby are a box of matches, a can opener, a dull jack-knife, a dirty spoon, the stub of a candle, and some well-used magazine adverts of attractive young ladies.

On a high shelf an old cigar box and a sheaf of yellowed papers can be seen.
Isadora,Roll Power x4

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:59 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:Meanwhile, Isadora and Henry make their way to the back of the house. They find that the back door is in fact slightly ajar. Entering, they find themselves in the back room of the house, which also served as a kitchen. Ahead, by the entrance to the front room, a narrow opening in the floor reveals a steep flight of stairs which lead to the cellar. There is a trap door set in the ceiling above, it’s frame covered with the same symbols which decorate the outside of the house.

But the room seems to have been recently occupied. The dust is kicked up, and you can see fresh footprints. The large fireplace contains embers of a recent fire. Beside the fireplace, a large, new wool blanket has been tossed, next to which is an empty can of Campbell’s pork & beans. Nearby are a box of matches, a can opener, a dull jack-knife, a dirty spoon, the stub of a candle, and some well-used magazine adverts of attractive young ladies.

On a high shelf an old cigar box and a sheaf of yellowed papers can be seen.
Isadora,Roll Power x4
Isadora Carmichael

Power x4 = 52%
[dice]0[/dice]

"Can this be Bernard?" Isadora wonders, looking at the blanket. She assumes that, given how new it is, it might belong to Bernard, who stocked up on some essentials before coming down to the house.

Isadora examines the door: are there any signs of forced entry?

Does the cellar entrance have a trapdoor to cover it?

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:26 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Could be. Or maybe just a vagrant? We should have asked about strangers back at the store."

Henry picks up the knife then goes to the high shelf and reaches for the cigar box and papers.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:40 am
by andyw666
Balzac, looking relaxed and interested, casts about for a fireplace in the main room. "Well, nothing exceptional about the foliage outside, old agricultural plantings run wild and native Americana."

"In here, the ceremony the professor described took place about the fireplace, no?"

OOC,Can [b]Balzac[/b] identify the strange odour?

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hear something in the cellar," whispers Alice, trembling a little.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:40 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC Andyw666,It's probably the mold.
Disturbed by Alice's words, the front room party enter the back room where they see Henry and Isadora examining the papers and the cigar box. Balzac notices the large fireplace with satisfaction. "Alors!" he exclaims.

Henry places the items on the kitchen table, and the heroes stand around, regarding them silently.
OOC,Anyone can roll History.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:49 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry History 23 [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Henry keeps the knife and puts it in his pocket just in case  

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:01 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
OOC:   HoneyDog, in case you missed, Isadora wanted to check out a few things in her previous post!  
evil_scientist wrote:Isadora examines the door: are there any signs of forced entry?

Does the cellar entrance have a trapdoor to cover it?
History 20%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:37 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Sorry Evil! There's no visible signs of forced entry, and the cellar entrance has no cover. It's a flight of steps.  

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:43 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac[/b] has a [i]History[/i] skill of 20% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe those papers are the translation we're looking for," says Alice.
OOC,History roll (30% skill) in the back room: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:41 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Without going down Henry shines a flashlight into the cellar space.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry,[b]Henry[/b] can't see very much, but he notices that the dust on the cellar steps has been disturbed. It could be footprints.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:41 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I think maybe someone's down here. Miss Stanton heard something and it looks a bit like there are footprints in the dust. I could go down and take a look ..."

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:52 pm
by andyw666
Balzac crouches down by the fireplace, using the shotgun as a prop for balance. Then he whips out his magnifying glass and starts carefully examining the contents of the fireplace, touching nothing.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:11 pm
by HoneyDog
Balzac,Balzac finds nothing in the fireplace

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:20 am
by andyw666
Balzac straightens up with a cracking of muscles and joints, and a grunt. He flicks his cigarette butt into the fireplace.

"Well, there is no evidence to be found in the fireplace, at least not visible to the eye. What was on the pieces of paper you found?"

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:13 pm
by HoneyDog
Although Henry is waiting anxiously by the cellar entrance, all eyes are fixed on the old papers held by Alice. As she lays them out on the table, the companions are able to see what is written on them.

They appear to be handwritten in a different writing style to Putnam’s. The first six sheets are all written in Latin, and all appear to be exactly the same.

The next three are notes. They describe the Latin as a chant copied from ‘Di Vermiis Mysteris’ by Ludwig Prin, written circa 1542. The book apparently describes the significance of the Egyptian sarcophagus and the unimaginable powers contained therein. The specimen trapped in amber is believed to be a guide to the Arab spirit world, and is benevolent. If the chant is performed in conjunction with certain other ritual activities, communication with the spirit can be made.

The tenth sheet describes the pentagram which must be used including the symbols to be drawn, and the combination of chemicals, including magnesium, copper and sulphur, to be burned in the fire, and the need for two black tapers.

The next three sheets describe the ritual. Once the ritual objects are prepared, the words must be chanted for two hours starting at midnight. In order to dispel the spirit, it is simply a matter of chanting backwards.

Prin apparently advises the use of several chanters, allowing individuals to occasionally interrupt their chanting. If the chant is continuous for two hours, with at least one person at all times maintaining the rhythm, the spirit will succumb. But if the chant is at all disrupted, it must begin again the following night. Prin advises that during the chanting “a watcher be posted, lest the sorcerers be disturbed by the nuisances and distractions of malevolent spirits”.

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:55 pm
by andyw666
Balzac adjusts his specs and has a peer at the Latin writing, trying to get some idea what it says.
OOC,He has a [i]Latin[/i] skill of 26% and rolls [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:02 pm
by HoneyDog
Unfortunately, the Latin is an obscure form, and uses many unfamiliar terms. Despite his skills Balzac is unable to make much sense of it.
OOC,Sorry the scenario doesn't have the Latin or any translation. Understanding it isn't important for the mystery.

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Marion Allen was the one who wrote the translation," says Alice. "I wonder if we're supposed to recite the words themselves backwards, or just in reverse order? I'm sure we can buy the tapers and the other things we'll need. If the general store here doesn't have them, there must be specialty shopa back in Arkham that do."

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:21 am
by andyw666
Balzac starts ambling about the room restlessly.

"I still see no objective evidence that this summoning of the supernatural took place. I accept that the professor and his deceased colleagues believed it and I accept that something happened. Clearly - a young man died and another went insane. I do not, however, accept that it cannot be explained by science if we have enough data. Now might be a good time to have that look about the rest of this house, see who's in the cellar and so on. Also, the poor professor made some mention of hearing something in the attic, no?"

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"He did say that," says Alice. "That's where the...monster or whatever it is was supposed to be. I don't believe something supernatural happened either, but something dangerous clearly did."

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 am
by Wolf
"Well then, the next logical step is clearly the attic.", says Arthur. "Unless anyone thinks otherwise, i'll get on my feet and wait beneath the entrance"
OOC:   Arthur will indeed go to the attic trapdoor, with his ear out for any peculiar sounds  

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:21 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Arthur will need a boost from someone else to reach the trapdoor.  

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:01 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I'm going to check out the cellar first"

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:20 pm
by andyw666
Balzac suggests, "Perhaps two teams, one going up and the other down? Mlle Alice, M. Arthur and I could take the attic?"

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:52 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I think there might be someone down in the cellar. We should check that out before opening up the attic. It could be Bernard, or the missing woman, or a vagrant."

Henry follows his flashlight into the darkness, following any footprints and looking for the source of the noises that Alice heard.

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:39 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry impatiently heads down the narrow cellar steps, not wanting to discuss the matter any further.
Henry,There is little natural light in the freezing, dank cellar. Henry shivers as he cautiously makes his way down the rickety old steps. As he reaches the bottom, his swings his flashlight around, hoping to glimpse something. [ooc]Roll Spot Hidden[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Spot Hidden 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:15 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry,Henry's eyes are ill-adjusted to the gloom, and he doesn't see until the last second the wild and panicked face coming at him. His hand raised high, the attacker brings down his makeshift club… Attacker: Table leg 55%: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/501594]Table Leg Attack[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]38[/b] Henry can roll Dodge but your DEX is halved because of the surprise attack.

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:21 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Dodge at half score 9 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:38 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/501597]Table leg damage[/url]: [u]1d8+1d4[/u] [b]5[/b] Henry cannot move in time and the club swings down onto his shoulder, making him cry out in pain and fall to the ground, where he lies writhing in agony. His shoulder is very likely dislocated.
Upstairs, the investigators are debating which course of action to take when suddenly they hear a commotion from the cellar and a sharp cry of pain. They can hear someone rushing up the stairs and sure enough a disheveled looking man of an indeterminate age is seen coming at them, his face contorted with what can only be described as terror. In his hand he brandishes a table leg, ready to swing.
Everyone apart from Henry,Roll Luck

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
OOC:   Did Henry recognaise his attacker?  

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Innsmouth,No

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice screams when she sees the man emerge from the cellar, but it only seems to draw his attention.
OOC,Luck roll (65% stat) in the kitchen: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:54 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Luck[/i] is 65% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:36 pm
by Wolf
Arthur,Luck Roll(60): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:50 am
by andyw666
OOC,If he has the chance to react, [b]Balzac[/b] will ditch the shotgun and rugby tackle the crazy man.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:56 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Isadora Luck 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/502981]Luck[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]81[/b] Rupert Luck 35: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/502982]Luck[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]96[/b] It seems that Rupert has the worst luck, so unfortunately he will be in the way. Rupert has higher DEX though, and so he can try and the first blow, or get out of the way.
Rupert is first between the crazed man and the door. He tenses, deciding what to do.
Domdombear,Please take it from here - if we don't hear from you I'll carry on.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:35 pm
by HoneyDog
Rupert quickly decides to tackle the man.
OOC,Rupert Grapple 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/503634]Grapple[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]44[/b]
Unfortunately, he can only get a partial hold on the poor, frantic fellow, who swings his makeshift club.
OOC,Crazed Man Table Leg 55: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/503636]Table Leg Attack[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]33[/b] Rupert HP 10 Damage: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/503637]Table leg damage[/url]: [u]1d8+1d4[/u] [b]9[/b] Rupert Dodge 30: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/503666]Dodge[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]63[/b]
The blow connects squarely to Rupert's temple, and he collapses to the floor unconscious.
OOC,Now Balzac can attempt his attack. If he fails, the man escapes through the back door.

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:55 am
by andyw666
Balzac cries, "Fils de pute!"

Casting aside the shotgun, he launches himself at the madman in a classic rugby tackle.
OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Grapple[/i] skill is 45% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

With a gasp, Alice rushes to Rupert's side, kneels, and tries to help him. However, this injury is far worse than the cuts and bruises she has treated in the past.
OOC,First Aid roll (60% stat) trying to help [b]Rupert[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 am
by andyw666
OOC,For efficiency, I'll continue with what [b]Balzac[/b] will do if the madman doesn't dodge. [b]Balzac[/b] starts bodily slamming the madman into hard, inanimate objects like walls and tables. Second [i]Grapple[/i] 45% to attempt to cause damage... [dice]0[/dice]
Balzac yells, "Someone grab that chair leg!"

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:14 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Give me a chance to reply Andy :D Dodge 55: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/503880]Dodge[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]37[/b]
Although he is knocked to the ground by Balzac, the man manages to scramble to his feet. He still has his club, but his eyes are on the door.
OOC,Alice is busy and I assume Isadora won't attack. If Arthur wants to try, go ahead. Otherwise the man escapes.

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:32 pm
by Wolf
Arthur, shocked by the scene, regains his senses as he sees the aggressor attempting to escape the house.
He decides to take advantage of the man's despair, and will try to hit him with the crowbar in the head as the man rushes to the door.
OOC:   What would be the stats for the crowbar as a blunt weapon?  

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:57 pm
by HoneyDog
Wolf,Call it a Large Club, which gives you 25 base skill, with 1d8 damage. Do you fancy your chances?

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:46 pm
by Wolf
HoneyDog wrote:
Wolf,Call it a Large Club, which gives you 25 base skill, with 1d8 damage. Do you fancy your chances?
ooc,Do i get advantage, since the man is in a "tunnel vision" state?

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:57 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No, he's heading away from you.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:01 am
by andyw666
Balzac yells, "Let him go if he's running! I'll get my dr's bag."

He collects the shotgun then heads out to the automobiles to get his dr's bag, keeping a lookout for the madman.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:16 pm
by Wolf
ooc,Arthur will try to hit the man in the head(25%): [dice]0[/dice] If hit, the target should take: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:24 pm
by HoneyDog
Arthur swings his crowbar but the man is too fast, and the tool cuts through empty air. Without pausing, the man runs out the open back door, heading towards the woods in the distance.

Silence follows the brutal attack, as the companions gaze at each other in shock. The only sound are the moans of pain coming from Henry in the cellar.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Henry!" cries Alice. She heads downstairs to see what she can do to help him.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:20 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Someone hit me with a lump of wood. I think my shoulder is busted. It hurts when I do this. And this. And this."

Henry demonstates various painful manuevers.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, don't do that," says Alice. She tries to help Henry, but it only seems to cause him further pain. "There was a vagrant hiding in the cellar. He knocked Rupert over the head with a table leg, knocking him out, and then fled out the back. Dr. Balzac is getting his doctor's bag, so hopefully he can do a better job than I did of helping you two."
OOC,First Aid roll (60% skill) treating [b]Henry[/b]'s injury: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:40 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Something must have spooked him before to make him act all crazy like that. Are you alright? Will the young lad be ok?"

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alice. "I'm fine, just scared is all. He's hurt pretty bad, but I think he'll live. Can you handle the stairs?"

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:25 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I think so. It might be a while before I can do a Texas Tommy though."

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:09 pm
by andyw666
OOC,As soon as [b]Balzac[/b] is back with his bag (assuming nothing untoward happens), he'll start giving medical aid to the unconscious young undergrad.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm
by HoneyDog
andyw666,Andy, just go ahead and make medicine rolls for the victims. If you're successful then we can decide on the outcome of your treatments.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:02 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice helps Henry back upstairs to rejoin the others.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 am
by andyw666
Balzac returns with doctor's bag in hand and a lit Gauloises between his teeth. First he heads to the unconscious Rupert, treating head wounds and bandaging his head. Then he turns to Henry, bandaging, popping joints back into place, arranging slings and the like (and offering a strong French cigarette too).
Rupert,[b]Balzac[/b] has a [i]Medicine[/i] skill of 80% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Henry,Medicine roll... [dice]1[/dice]
Rupert Recovery,Rupert gets back [dice]2[/dice]
Henry Recovery,Henry gets back [dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:37 am
by andyw666
Balzac says between clenched teeth and cigarette, "I am sorry ladies and gentlemen, but we must take young Rupert to Arkham hospital immediately, Doctor's Orders. And I would recommend Henry spend at least the night in hospital too, if not the week. I suggest we collect those items we have found and depart immediately."

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:04 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Oh, I'm alright Doctor. I've been banged up worse before. You're right about the young lad though."

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
Thanks to Balzac's administrations, Rupert has regained consciousness, although he is weak and dazed. A massive bruise is beginning to form on his forehead, and he very likely has a concussion at least. X-rays are in order! Henry seems to have only sustained a dislocated shoulder and some bruising, but his arm will be stiff, sore and bruised for several days.
OOC,Rupert and Henry will heal at 2d3 for the first week of game time. Would you all like to return to Arkham now? It looks like Rupert is out of the game just now – I haven’t heard from domdombear so maybe we might as well put his character on ice, and perhaps resurrect him if he returns. I don’t think we have to roleplay a massive hospital scene, but perhaps you can all have a look at the contents of the box and discuss your plans before you decide to return to the farmhouse. Unless any of you want to stay behind, of course.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:31 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
What's the time and how long does the journey take?

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:38 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I estimate back to Arkham by about 2pm. Under an hour to drive. So feasibly you can return to the Farmhouse if you want to spend the evening there, after dropping Rupert at the hospital. And do you want to tell the police what happened? You'll all need your lunch too, fighting a crazed hobo gives a man an appetite.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:44 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Yes I think on Doctors advice back to Arkham, drop Marlowe at the hospital. Henry himself will refuse to be admitted right now. Then a discrete restaurant for a late lunch / high tea where we can discuss things and examine the cigar box. Before leaving we'll lock the door and secure the cottage as best we can. Henry will also jam a small piece of wood in the attic access such as would fall if anyone went in (or out...).

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Shouldn't we notify the police?" asks Alice. "Maybe that man was responsible for the woman's disappearance."

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:34 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Maybe we could tell the police but not mention the farmhouse yet?"

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:21 pm
by Wolf
"Let's recall, Mr Glynn, that our presence here was most unlawful. We're better off taking all the evidence that we can, then return to Arkham and make sense of these events. Especifically, whatever the madman was doing in the cellar. Maybe, in his lunacy, he left some notes or items in the cellar?"

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:51 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I'm not so sure ... the previous owner did provide us with a key ... but I suppose the property belongs to Bernard now and he didn't seem so welcoming."

Henry consider further "I don't recall seeing much in the cellar but I didn't get much of a chance to look around."
OOC:   Did Henry see anything worth investigating before he was attacked or while waiting for help?  

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:54 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Our presence was more or less lawful, I think, but it's up to debate. We weren't strictly forbidden by Bernard to visit the house, and we were given a key and a permission by the old Professor..."

Isadora's voice is shaky, but then she steels herself.

"Who has the box now?"

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we were fulfilling the deceased's final request," says Alice. "Surely they'll understand that. The property doesn't pass to Bernard until the will is read. Anyway, they'll be sure to ask at the hospital how these men were injured, and we'd better tell them the truth."
OOC,Who does have the box? Do I have it?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:58 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,There's nothing of interest in the cellar. Alice has the box and the papers. Don't forget that the local residents know you're at the farmhouse!

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've got the box, and the papers," adds Alice.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:22 am
by andyw666
Balzac listens and nods with satisfaction. "Hospital for the brave young man here then a late luncheon, I approve."

"I believe we must make a report to the authorities in Arkham, someone will want to know how Rupert was injured. May I suggest we simply say we are here at the direction of the professor, 'tidying up' as was his last request. All of which is true. Perhaps we might exercise discretion and leave out stories of ghosts summoned fifty years ago but now in need of exorcism, or we may find ourselves in hospital too. The local authorities will have our description of the madman who attacked us but will not be doubting every word we utter as that of crazy people."

Balzac taps his temple a few times for emphasis.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:48 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Don't forget guys, you're not in Arkham now. There might be a local constable or sheriff.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"There might be a local constable or sheriff we could report this to."

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:18 am
by andyw666
Balzac look doubtful. "Let's get the lad to hospital first. We speak to a gendarme in Arkham after that, if need be we come back out here and tell the local sheriff or whatever he is."

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:31 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"A local constable might cause us less trouble. Arkham might send out a squad and tear this place apart. We should really get Marlowe to the hospital now though shouldn't we?"

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I think then it's time to return to Arkham. You can drop off Rupert and then maybe discuss what you all think about the events so far, and what to do next. I'll start a new thread tomorrow for it. Sorry I've been busy with work tonight and now I really should be off to bed! I have to get up again soon.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's get you two to the hospital first," says Alice. "Ross's Corners won't have one, so it'll have to be St. Mary's back in Arkham. We can explain what happened there."