Chapter 5: The Farmhouse

Arkham, Massachusetts, 1928. The last dying plea of an old friend and mentor leads to an encounter with a horror beyond description. Unwittingly released into the world nearly fifty years before, it is now time to finally confront the mistakes of the past. But it will come at great cost...

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 5: The Farmhouse

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice helps Henry back upstairs to rejoin the others.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac returns with doctor's bag in hand and a lit Gauloises between his teeth. First he heads to the unconscious Rupert, treating head wounds and bandaging his head. Then he turns to Henry, bandaging, popping joints back into place, arranging slings and the like (and offering a strong French cigarette too).
Rupert,[b]Balzac[/b] has a [i]Medicine[/i] skill of 80% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Henry,Medicine roll... [dice]1[/dice]
Rupert Recovery,Rupert gets back [dice]2[/dice]
Henry Recovery,Henry gets back [dice]3[/dice]
Last edited by andyw666 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac says between clenched teeth and cigarette, "I am sorry ladies and gentlemen, but we must take young Rupert to Arkham hospital immediately, Doctor's Orders. And I would recommend Henry spend at least the night in hospital too, if not the week. I suggest we collect those items we have found and depart immediately."
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Oh, I'm alright Doctor. I've been banged up worse before. You're right about the young lad though."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Thanks to Balzac's administrations, Rupert has regained consciousness, although he is weak and dazed. A massive bruise is beginning to form on his forehead, and he very likely has a concussion at least. X-rays are in order! Henry seems to have only sustained a dislocated shoulder and some bruising, but his arm will be stiff, sore and bruised for several days.
OOC,Rupert and Henry will heal at 2d3 for the first week of game time. Would you all like to return to Arkham now? It looks like Rupert is out of the game just now – I haven’t heard from domdombear so maybe we might as well put his character on ice, and perhaps resurrect him if he returns. I don’t think we have to roleplay a massive hospital scene, but perhaps you can all have a look at the contents of the box and discuss your plans before you decide to return to the farmhouse. Unless any of you want to stay behind, of course.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Spoiler:
What's the time and how long does the journey take?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I estimate back to Arkham by about 2pm. Under an hour to drive. So feasibly you can return to the Farmhouse if you want to spend the evening there, after dropping Rupert at the hospital. And do you want to tell the police what happened? You'll all need your lunch too, fighting a crazed hobo gives a man an appetite.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Spoiler:
Yes I think on Doctors advice back to Arkham, drop Marlowe at the hospital. Henry himself will refuse to be admitted right now. Then a discrete restaurant for a late lunch / high tea where we can discuss things and examine the cigar box. Before leaving we'll lock the door and secure the cottage as best we can. Henry will also jam a small piece of wood in the attic access such as would fall if anyone went in (or out...).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Shouldn't we notify the police?" asks Alice. "Maybe that man was responsible for the woman's disappearance."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Maybe we could tell the police but not mention the farmhouse yet?"
Wolf
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by Wolf »

"Let's recall, Mr Glynn, that our presence here was most unlawful. We're better off taking all the evidence that we can, then return to Arkham and make sense of these events. Especifically, whatever the madman was doing in the cellar. Maybe, in his lunacy, he left some notes or items in the cellar?"
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"I'm not so sure ... the previous owner did provide us with a key ... but I suppose the property belongs to Bernard now and he didn't seem so welcoming."

Henry consider further "I don't recall seeing much in the cellar but I didn't get much of a chance to look around."
OOC:   Did Henry see anything worth investigating before he was attacked or while waiting for help?  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Our presence was more or less lawful, I think, but it's up to debate. We weren't strictly forbidden by Bernard to visit the house, and we were given a key and a permission by the old Professor..."

Isadora's voice is shaky, but then she steels herself.

"Who has the box now?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, we were fulfilling the deceased's final request," says Alice. "Surely they'll understand that. The property doesn't pass to Bernard until the will is read. Anyway, they'll be sure to ask at the hospital how these men were injured, and we'd better tell them the truth."
OOC,Who does have the box? Do I have it?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,There's nothing of interest in the cellar. Alice has the box and the papers. Don't forget that the local residents know you're at the farmhouse!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've got the box, and the papers," adds Alice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac listens and nods with satisfaction. "Hospital for the brave young man here then a late luncheon, I approve."

"I believe we must make a report to the authorities in Arkham, someone will want to know how Rupert was injured. May I suggest we simply say we are here at the direction of the professor, 'tidying up' as was his last request. All of which is true. Perhaps we might exercise discretion and leave out stories of ghosts summoned fifty years ago but now in need of exorcism, or we may find ourselves in hospital too. The local authorities will have our description of the madman who attacked us but will not be doubting every word we utter as that of crazy people."

Balzac taps his temple a few times for emphasis.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Don't forget guys, you're not in Arkham now. There might be a local constable or sheriff.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"There might be a local constable or sheriff we could report this to."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac look doubtful. "Let's get the lad to hospital first. We speak to a gendarme in Arkham after that, if need be we come back out here and tell the local sheriff or whatever he is."

Return to “Edge of Darkness”