Chapter 3: Preparations and Advice

Arkham, Massachusetts, 1928. The last dying plea of an old friend and mentor leads to an encounter with a horror beyond description. Unwittingly released into the world nearly fifty years before, it is now time to finally confront the mistakes of the past. But it will come at great cost...

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 3: Preparations and Advice

Post by HoneyDog »

Alice meets Isadora and Henry at the University entrance at 9am and takes them to Dr. Henry Armitage’s office.
Henry Armitage.jpg
Henry Armitage.jpg (3.28 KiB) Viewed 708 times
The Doctor, the university's head librarian, is a respected authority on the occult, but lately he has been withdrawing from university life and concentrating on his studies. What he is precisely studying is unknown to most of his colleagues and students, and he seems to want to keep it that way. What motivated this change?

Entering his office, the three heroes are presented with a serious, weary looking man in his sixties. He has a kind, intelligent face, but his eyes are wary.

How can I help you?” he says, curious to be receiving someone other than students at this hour.

Meanwhile Balzac, Marlowe and Arthur meet in Arkham to collect supplies. They know that they must be sure to be adequately prepared for what may lay ahead. Firstly, they discuss how they will get to the farmhouse, and what they might need while they are there.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 3: Preparations and Advice

Post by andyw666 »

Balzacappears, looking suitably rumpled but otherwise happy.

"Gentlemen, unless anyone has access to a vehicle, I believe we are going to need to hire one or two automobiles for the next few days. I wonder, is there such a facility here in Arkham or would it be quicker to train to Boston, get what we need and return?"

"Other than, as I mentioned yesterday, acquiring firearms, I would suggest we also obtain some flashlights and a medical kit. Does anyone propose to stay at this farm overnight? In that event, camping equipment will also be needed."

"I wonder if there is any equipment we could borrow from the University?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for seeing us, Dr. Armitage," says Alice. "As you may have heard, Professor Putnam passed away yesterday. Before he did, he made a final request of us to finish a task he was never able to complete. In order to do that, we need your permission to look at a restricted book in the library, De Vermis Mysteriis."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Yes, I heard about Dennis' passing. It saddened me greatly. He told me about you, Alice. He held you in high regard."

He looks concerned. "But what on earth is this task he asked you to do which would require that book? And, who are your friends?"
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Dr Armitage, I'm Henry Glynn, author of The Ghastly Chamber, the one about the newly weds trapped in the haunted castle?"

"We're also looking for a book filed under Egyptology and Dead Gods which has information about a small sarcophagus-shaped gold box with Egyptian hieroglyphs, probably from the Middle Kingdom age. We don't really know where to start because your collection in that area is so extensive and impressive."

"The box is about this big." Henry adds, indicating the size with his hands.

Henry looks across at Alice and Isadora uncertainly. He is unsure whether they should trust Dr Armitage enough to show him the item itself.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   We were posting at the same time there  
domdombear
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by domdombear »

Rupert Marlow

"I'm sorry I am not much help knowing where to buy things, I haven't been in the country long. I think camping there would be a good idea, we'd need some food if we are going to be there some time. Mr Balzac you mentioned shotguns, if we are to buy firearms I would feel much more at home with a hunting rifle. Is there a general store near-by?"

Rupert looks around him

"I might get myself a map while I am at it"
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac nods to Marlowe and Arthur. "Monsieurs, I think a walk to the hardware store first is in order, followed by the grocery store if need be."

"A map is a most excellent idea. In fact, that reminds me of Army days and makes me think a compass and a pair of binoculars would also be a good idea. And a rifle for M. Marlowe, if we can find one. For myself, as I mentioned last night, I am more relying on the noise such firearms make to scare off any dangerous animal. A rifle will do that just as well."

OOC,Hopefully, the three can navigate their way from Miskatonic to the commercial part of town, Arkham being no huge metropolis? Supply run so far tallies as follows: One or two rental vehicles; First aid kit or medical bag; Shotgun; Rifle; Ammunition for same; Map; Compass; Binos; Several flashlights. (If [b]Balzac[/b] spies any type of handgun for sale anywhere, he will buy that too, with ammo.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It is good to hear that he thought so highly of me," says Alice. "Our other companion is Mrs. Isadora Carmichael. She's an expert on the occult and knows far more about that aspect of our task than I do. Professor Putnam made a mistake along with his friends in his youth, back in 1882, and as a result one of his friends died. He tasked us with fixing this mistake so that nobody else suffers. I don't fully understand - or believe - it myself. I know he wouldn't make it up, of course. Clearly he believed it. I need a bit more proof before I can, but I will do my best to honor his final wishes."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Wolf
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by Wolf »

"Indeed. Also, I think we should add a crowbar of the sorts, both for boarded up openings, and self defense in my case. With that, I think we are going to be well stocked for the farmhouse"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora just smiles and nods, greeting Doctor Armitage. She has a feeling that her companions are giving away too much information. She should have stressed that the possession of the sarcophagus can be dangerous! She is ready to deny ever seeing the cursed thing. It is good that so far nobody mentioned them actually having this item. Although Glynn's comment about its size might give it away.

If Armitage demands a show-and-tell, Isadora can deny seeing the sarcophagus, and maybe show him the copy of the text, saying that it was all that Professor Putnam gave them.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Henry Armitage
Henry Armitage.jpg
Henry Armitage.jpg (3.28 KiB) Viewed 654 times
“I’m very sorry Mr. Glynn, I don’t know your work. And I don’t know that much about ancient Egypt, although I do know that small sarcophagi became popular during the XIVth dynasty, if that helps.”

He turns back to Alice. “What kind of mistake Alice? I need to know.”

In Arkham, the others are completing their shopping for the expedition.
Balzac & Marlow & Arthur,Nowadays, all of your characters not being citizens of the US, you wouldn’t be allowed to buy firearms. But I can’t find anything prohibiting you for this period, unfortunately, so go ahead and buy your guns. The same goes for hiring cars; do you have appropriate documentation? Let’s assume you get everything else on your list.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"That might narrow things down. Say, maybe I'll drop in later with a copy of my book for you Dr Armitage."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Armitage looks momentarily worried by this information.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He and his friends were dabbling in the occult," says Alice. "They fancied themselves The Dark Brotherhood. Most of what they tried did nothing, but in the professor's journal he described a ritual they attempted in March 1882. They placed the sarcophagus in a pentagram and threw powder on it and chanted while one of them watched. They were trying to free a spirit they thought was trapped in the sarcophagus, and he believed they succeeded. It could hardly be seen until one of them threw the powder on it, the Dust of Abu-Ghazi or something. They saw this horrible monster, and one of them approached it, it killed him! They thought they might have been able to get rid of it if they reversed the chant, but one of them rubbed out part of the pentagram and it apparently escaped. They thought it was trapped in the house by wards as long as at least one of them lived, but Professor Putnam was the last. It sounds absurd, but he truly believed that he had unleashed this evil and fervently wished it stopped."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,I think the final tally then would be: Two rental vehicles; First aid kit / medical bag; Shotgun (12 gauge double barrel); Rifle (.30 lever action carbine); Ammunition for same; Map; Compass; Binos; Four flashlights; Crowbar.
Handgun?,Was [b]Balzac[/b] able to find a handgun of any description? Something ex-war? Any calibre, revolver or semi-auto, he'll take what he gets in Arkham.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Henry Armitage.jpg
Henry Armitage.jpg (3.28 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Armitage grows visibly more alarmed as Alice recounts the story.

“And I suppose the incantations are from ‘Di Vermiis Mysteriis’? This is an incredible story Alice, but I believe every word of it. Well well, Dennis certainly had an interesting youth.”

He lapses into an uncomfortable silence, staring into space. “Do you know anything about that book? In English, the title means ‘Mysteries of the Worm’. There is a lot of power in that book, and not much of it good. Apparently, the author, Ludwig Prinn, spent time in Egypt. Actually, he refers to Nephren-ka, the ‘black pharoah’. That’s the likely source of your sarchophagus. Using that book, I can see how an entity might be summoned.”

He suddenly fixes his gaze on Alice. “But how would you know how to use the book? What entity was summoned?”
Balzac,The list is fine, but unfortunately no handguns were to be found :cry:
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"So you actually believe in such things Dr Armitage?" says Henry, taken aback.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Henry Armitage.jpg
Henry Armitage.jpg (3.28 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Armitage glares at Henry. "Oh yes, I believe. Peddle all the stories you like Mr. Glynn. Just know this – the reality you presume to know and understand, is just a façade. There are…”

He stops. “I can’t help you any further. Consulting that… book… is out of the question. If you really want advice, forget the whole thing and go back to your daily existence. Don’t meddle with things you obviously don’t understand. Good day everyone.”

He turns back to his desk.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Please forgive us, Dr. Armitage," says Alice. "It's only natural to be skeptical. How can we be expected to believe something without proof? Have...have you seen proof? Is that why you believe?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Edge of Darkness”