Chapter 2: A Dark Secret

Arkham, Massachusetts, 1928. The last dying plea of an old friend and mentor leads to an encounter with a horror beyond description. Unwittingly released into the world nearly fifty years before, it is now time to finally confront the mistakes of the past. But it will come at great cost...

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 2: A Dark Secret

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've never seen anything like them," says Alice, shaking her head.
OOC,Occult roll (5% base skill) about the carvings: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,[b] Balzac's [/b]Occult skill is 5% and he rolls [dice]0[/dice]
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Unlocatable tomes aside,does[b] Balzac[/b] find any thing else of interest?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Apart from some interesting works relating to the role of trees in in primitive religions, Balzac is unable to see any books relating to the matter in hand.

The carvings inside the lid seem destined to remain a mystery, at least for now.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Perhaps Dr Balzac and I - Mr Vivar too if he is free - could take a walk out to Ross's Corner tomorrow and a have a look at this farmhouse ..."
Wolf
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by Wolf »

"Perhaps, Mr Glynn" said Arthur, "But in my opinion, unless Marlowe, Mrs Carmichael, and Miss Stanton need to fulfill other tasks, I think we should all go to the farmhouse. They've proven to know more in these occult affairs than I."
After a brief moment, Arthur looks down.
"That... journal, and the events depicted. They sound foul, and unwordly. I knew of the professors acquaintance with ancient rituals and so, but could never imagine something so... obscure. My interpretation of the events there written dwindles between the lunacy of a madman, or the witness of a dark power. If those writings depict the latter, Im afraid we risk becoming the former. Or worse."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would like to try to find those books in the library," says Alice. "I'm sure they have a record of which books he's checked out, and as his secretary I should be able to take a look at it. I know little of the occult anyway."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"A visit to the house is inevitable and we should all go. But first," she says, the image of the dreadful Corbitt House evoked in her mind, "We need to learn more about this... entity."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"If you truly believe the Professor's story Mrs Carmichael we should make haste with our investigations. The fiend may have been running amok since a quarter past One!" says Henry wryly.
OOC:   Is it too late to go to the library now?  
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

After a moment Henry adds "We may also need to consider Bernard. I've no doubt he'll be heading out to Ross's Corner at the earliest opportunity."
Wolf
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by Wolf »

"I agree with Henry. According to the professor's journal and request itself, this... being is now loose, due to Denis death. Also, Allen's translation of De Vermis Mysteriis is in the house. That accursed book, or rather, it's translation, is implied in the journal to be the key to this mistery. Chances are Bernard will try to put his hands on anything remotely valuable that's still in the farmhouse. We should at least try to recover it from that place, before he does.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Alice & Balzac,The library opening hours are 8am - 9pm Mon - Fri, and 10 - 6 Saturday. The reference room is open 1pm - 6pm on Sundays, but the stacks are closed.
domdombear
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by domdombear »

Rupert moves towards the sarcophagus

"May I take a look at those markings?"
Spoiler:
Occult roll (5%):
domdombear rolled 1d100:
"I can't make anything of it.... if it is true and this feind is now not held to the farm house, is it possible he is not aware of it yet? And has not tried to leave."

Rupert Pauses.

"heh, I'm talking like it is real....."

He looks around the room at everyone

"It can't be real.......can it?"
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"I'm not sure any of us believe it - but Bernard is real enough."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora considers all things. She would rather not go into another "haunted" house unprepared... But if Bernard Putnam does, and she agrees with her colleagues that he will, he is in grave danger. Professor Putnam would definitely not want his own son fall prey to the otherworldly terror.

"I agree, in this case. Let's make the visit to the house and the recovery of the text our priority."

She decides to react to Rupert's words:

"I've experienced similar entities before."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry makes a note to ask Mrs Carmichael more about this at some point. Her fancies may provide some good material for his stories. For now he helps himself to a second cookie (they are much better than the dry overbaked ones produced on occassion by Mrs Rourke).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're right," says Alice. "I don't know exactly what happened in that house all those years ago, but someone died. That place is dangerous, and the Putnams will be in danger too if they go there. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even Bernard. Are we going to leave right away, tonight, or do we go first thing in the morning? The library is still open for another couple of hours."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac lights up yet another pungent French cigarette.

"The possibility must be entertained that something dangerous is in fact in the house, even 50 years later. May I suggest that first thing tomorrow morning, we purchase several shotguns? The noise they make alone is sufficient to scare off virtually any known predator. My plan is a quick visit to the hardware store.

Also, on a more practical note, I am a visitor and alas do not have a vehicle. Do some of you have automobiles?

Mademoiselle Stanton, I am most happy to spend some time this evening at the library researching these matters. Even the newspapers of the time may offer some insight."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora shudders when Balzac mentions shotguns.

"I'm strongly opposed to bringing firearms. I suspect the situation at the house will be very stressful, and the last thing we want is bullets flying everywhere. Besides, supernatural entities adhere to very different rules of existence... Shotguns might not even do damage."

Isadora isn't 100% sure about this last part, though.

"Maybe one shotgun will suffice," she adds.

Isadora is ready to go to the library as well.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"I shot tin cans with a hand gun out in Iowa but if I start waving a shotgun around I'd likely kill us all" Henry confesses.

"Let's make our way to the library now."

Return to “Edge of Darkness”