Chapter 2: A Dark Secret

Arkham, Massachusetts, 1928. The last dying plea of an old friend and mentor leads to an encounter with a horror beyond description. Unwittingly released into the world nearly fifty years before, it is now time to finally confront the mistakes of the past. But it will come at great cost...

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 2: A Dark Secret

Post by HoneyDog »

library.jpg
Miskatonic’s Orne Library is a large 3-storey building containing one of the largest collections of books at any US university, numbering almost 400,000. These range from recent reference works to ancient tomes on obscure and arcane topics, including the occult. They also cover the gamut of subjects taught at Miskatonic, from Anthropology to Zoology, including copies of newspapers, journals and periodicals going back to the first establishment of the New England colonies.

At this time of night and this time of year the library is not much used, but there is always research of a kind vital to someone going on. There are many private, quiet places to read and study nestled among the stacks, and for a person of sensitive disposition, it might seem a little disconcerting, when shadows flicker across your reading lamp, and odd noises disturb the silence.

The reception desk is staffed by Margaret Green, a single woman in her forties who seems to have been working here as long as anyone can remember. She is perfectly at home here, surrounded by books and knowledge; truly a woman who has found her niche. Enquiries as to the collection need to be made through her.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

As they turn through the doors of the library Henry pulls Alice back.
Alice,[color=#0000FF]"You know Miss Stanton, I don't believe in spells or monsters but what you said back there was right - the cottage could be dangerous. Maybe you'd be safer here in Arkham?"[/color]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry,[color=fuchsia]"I thank you for your concern, [b]Mr. Glynn[/b],"[/color] says [b]Alice[/b], [color=fuchsia]"but I owe it to [b]Professor Putnam[/b] to help fulfill his dying request. I don't believe in all that mumbo-jumbo, either, but I am aware of the possible danger."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac takes a deep, slightly wheezy lungfull of library air. Before heading off, he turns to the others. "I must tell you, I accept that the Almighty is unknowable, but otherwise I believe there is nothing science cannot ultimately explain. Of course, to quote Sherlock Holmes, I have hitherto confined my investigations to this world. But such investigations have confirmed to me that even the fearsome Canadian Ursus Maritimus will be scared off by the sound of a shotgun fired into the air." On that note, Balzac mimes firing a shotgun into the air.

"Whatever the case, I am off to see if I can find any newspaper articles relating to this terrible event from the professor's journal."
OOC,[b]Balzac[/b] will check the library's holdings of old newspapers for any articles relating to the events of March 1882, referred to in the prof's journal.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Newspapers are located in the library basement, and Balzac heads off in that direction. Here the eager researcher can find most national dailies, and others from the local area. Balzac surveys the rows of filing cabinets, wondering where to start.
OOC:   The time is about 7pm now.  
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,[b]Balzac[/b] doubts that any national reporting of the event would have occurred so starts with local papers, failing which he'll try the Boston Globe and other statewide publications.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Balzac locates the Arkham Gazette, and begins looking through back issues.
Balzac,This will take you about an hour, and you need a Library Use roll
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,[b]Balzac[/b] has a [i]Library Use[/i] skill of 75% and... [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

It only takes Balzac twenty minutes to find something. "Triomphe!" he exclaims, brandishing a clipping dated from March 1882.
Balzac,[attachment=0]Arkham Gazette clipping.docx[/attachment]
Attachments
Arkham Gazette clipping.docx
(13.89 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
domdombear
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by domdombear »

"Great work! But it seems it doesn't tell us any more than we already know"
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

"M. Marlowe, where is your critical academic analysis? It is independent corroboration of the professor's journal."
OOC,[b]Balzac[/b] will start looking for death notices in the Arkham paper for the professor's friends, based on the dates of their deaths in the journal.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   For now lets have Balzac and Marlowe searching the newspaper archives. The others characters are upstairs in the main library. If you want your character to join them, write a post for it.  
Balzac & Marlowe,Both of you can roll for Library Use, see what else you can find in the time remaining. The lower the score, the more info. Can you roll 1 again?
domdombear
Layman
Layman

Post by domdombear »

"Yes you are right. Maybe there are later reports, maybe strange goings on near the house afterwards? Mr Balzac, I will help see what I can find"
Spoiler:
Library use roll(65%):
domdombear rolled 1d100:
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Meanwhile Henry looks under Egyptology and Dead Gods hoping to stumble upon the volume mentioned in the journal. He doesn't have much to go on but quickly disregards anything that is lending stock rather than reference and anything that looks like it has been in the collection for less than fifty years. He peers across at Margaret Green and wonders if she can be convinced to keep the library open after hours should they need more time.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

By 8.30 pm, some more information is found by Balzac and Marlowe. It seems that most of the Dark Brotherhood died of purely natural causes, but there is one article of interest. Marlowe excitedly points it out to Balzac, and they read it with fascination.
Balzac & Marlowe,[attachment=0]Allen clipping.docx[/attachment]
While all of this is going on, Henry is searching for the Egyptian tome. Due to the thousands of books in the Egyptology and Dead Gods section, he is unlikely to find anything in the time remaining before the library closes. He grinds his teeth in frustration.
Attachments
Allen clipping.docx
(12.2 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Miss Green, I don't think we've met? I'm Henry Glynn, the author. Maybe you're familiar with my work? Perhaps you've read The Ghastly Chamber, the one about the newly weds?"

If Margaret seems at all impressed by Henry's approach he will try to persuade her to extend the opening hours so he can continue his research! Who knew there were so many books on dead gods ...
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac is very impressed by Marlowe's researches. "Fine work my boy, you have the makings of a universitaire."

"This article though, what does it suggest? Other parties perhaps involved? Hmm."

OOC,There may be no more to be found, but just in case, [b]Balzac's[/b] second roll against his LU of 75% is... [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice approaches the desk. "Good evening, Miss Green," she say "I'm Alice Stanton, Professor Putnam's secretary. I'm sorry to say that he passed away this afternoon. Before he did, he made one last request: that I and my colleagues complete some work he was not able to finish himself. I know the name of one of the books he had been using in his research: De Vermis Mysteriis. Can we please get access to it and to a list of other books he has checked out recently?"
OOC,It should still be 7:00 for me, as I haven't started on my research yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Wolf
Layman
Layman

Post by Wolf »

"There could be any references about such beings in local occult practices, like the rituals of the Misquat tribe?", Arthur mumbled.
ooc,Arthur will try to search any local anthropology or historical books about local rituals and pagan festivals, with particular notice in any supernatural beings like the one described in the journal. Library use(45%): [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Unfortunately, Balzac and Marlowe are unable to find anything else of interest. There doesn’t seem to be anything else in the clipping files. They return to the reception desk before the library is due to close.

Arthur is also unable to find anything relevant to the rituals described in Putnam’s journal, despite searching for over an hour.

“Oh yes Alice, I know you. I was very sorry to hear about the Professor’s passing. He was a kind and decent man”
says Miss Green compassionately. “I’ll be happy to help you, but I also have to help prepare some reading lists for next semester right now. It may take some time, so if you don’t mind waiting?”

At around 8.30, Miss Green comes over to Alice.De Vermis Mysteriis we have, but it’s on a restricted list. To get it you’ll need to talk to Dr. Henry Armitage. He is researching some particular books on the occult at the moment. He’s in his office on weekday mornings.”

She hands Alice a piece of paper. “There’s not many items in this list. As you know, he was sick and often absent recently, so he didn’t withdraw many books.” The items listed are all anthropology or linguistics texts, there is nothing about Egypt or the occult.

She regards Henry curiously as he asks his question.
Henry,Roll Luck

Return to “Edge of Darkness”